Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,945 members, 7,952,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:52 AM

Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) (25312 Views)

A Big Snake Killed In My Compound Today (PIX) / See The Kind Of Food Served For Lunch At An IDP Camp In Maiduguri / Palm Wine! Now In A Can ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Maxymilliano(m): 8:09am On Mar 04, 2013
Snake wine and Scorpion wine are asian beverages that can be found in some Southeast Asian countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, Laos Cambodia, but also in Korea, and Japan.

To prepare this incredible beverage a cobra snake or some scorpions are put into a bottle fulfilled with transparent rice wine liquor and some herbs are added before the drink is left to ferment for months. The venomous cobra snake used to make Snake wine is preserved to have the snake poison dissolved in the rice wine, but because snake venoms are protein-based they are inactivated by the denaturing effects of ethanol, and no more dangerous, but this makes a healthy liquor with many health benefits.

Many types of snake drinks can be found all across Asia, but the most famous one and the only original one is the one found in Vietnam, Thailand, and Laos, the famous Snake wine that you can only find online.

Southeast Asia’s cuisine has a drink made with a twist: an entire venomous snake.

The consumption of snake wine was originally for medicinal purposes and many still drink it for those reasons. The beliefs of snakes’ healing abilities are derived from snake characteristics like agility, skin shedding, and speed. The flexibility of snakes is believed to be a good treatment for stiffness and arthritis. Their ability to shed their skin translates into a regenerative quality for skin ailments, such as acne or itching skin. Another healing property snakes are know for is their speed. Its speed represents how quickly the healing occurs and moves fast throughout the body. Some versions of this wine is made with the actual blood and bile of the snake. Snake wine is so gross and hardcore at the same time.

Culled from the net... More details at
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_wine

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by greedie1(f): 8:15am On Mar 04, 2013
health benefits huh?? i ne dey drink!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Maxymilliano(m): 8:16am On Mar 04, 2013
More on Snake Wine...

Southeast Asia’s cuisine has a drink made with a twist: an entire venomous snake.

The consumption of snake wine was originally for medicinal purposes and many still drink it for those reasons. The beliefs of snakes’ healing abilities are derived from snake characteristics like agility, skin shedding, and speed. The flexibility of snakes is believed to be a good treatment for stiffness and arthritis. Their ability to shed their skin translates into a regenerative quality for skin ailments, such as acne or itching skin. Another healing property snakes are know for is their speed. Its speed represents how quickly the healing occurs and moves fast throughout the body. Some versions of this wine is made with the actual blood and bile of the snake. Snake wine is so gross and hardcore at the same time.

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by BluePinkee(f): 8:20am On Mar 04, 2013
Eeeeewww, vey gross......
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by seedord247(m): 8:24am On Mar 04, 2013
Are those snake stil alive? undecided
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Maxymilliano(m): 8:34am On Mar 04, 2013
BluePinkee: Eeeeewww, vey gross......
Yep! Very gross but hardcore! May be you should also consider that snake venoms are protein-based, thereby making it a healthy liquor with many health benefits... cheesy
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Koonbey1: 8:34am On Mar 04, 2013
D.AMN! Somebody look at those scorpions
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by ULSHERLAN(m): 8:49am On Mar 04, 2013
Daaayyyuuummmm!!!!!. Which kind beverage be this. Its so disgusting but if e reach some limit man no go get choice o than to drink am but I don't pray for such limits

2 Likes

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Akshow: 9:34am On Mar 04, 2013
Yuck!
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by tejpot(m): 9:39am On Mar 04, 2013
Not only in Asia, I have seen in Nigeria too, but not in commercial quantity. But it's of medical significance
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 04, 2013
*Runs away from thread* grin

6 Likes

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by miracle4(m): 9:41am On Mar 04, 2013
where can I order for one
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Maxymilliano(m): 9:53am On Mar 04, 2013
Richfella: *Runs away from thread* grin
*Drag you back to thread and offer you a shot of snake wine on the rock, shaking, not stirred* grin

5 Likes

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by AbdulAdam56(m): 10:02am On Mar 04, 2013
This look very sweet,where can i bought it?Ego sweet like sugar cane/honey.
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by ULSHERLAN(m): 10:05am On Mar 04, 2013
Abdul Adam56: This look very sweet,where can i bought it?Ego sweet like sugar cane/honey.
shocked cry

6 Likes

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by ugotuf(m): 10:24am On Mar 04, 2013
VERY SOON THESE GUYS WILL COME OUT WITH HUMAN PARTS WINES AND TELL US OF THE HEALTH BENEFITS AS WELL cool

1 Like

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Nobody: 12:45pm On Mar 04, 2013
Maxymilliano:
*Drag you back to thread and offer you a shot of snake wine on the rock, shaking, not stirred* grin

Lol. Sorry sir! You mistake me for a certain Mr Bond. My name is Okoro grin.

15 Likes

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 04, 2013
Grotesque! sad But just out of curiosity, how do they get the cobra and scorpion in the bottle? undecided
(Although, I probably don't want to know.)

2 Likes

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by CrazyMan(m): 5:01pm On Mar 04, 2013
gree-die:
health benefits huh?? i ne dey drink!!!!
Why? I heard it can make you strong and healthy... wink

@topic. How much is a bottle sold, I'd like to purchase one and drink.
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Maxymilliano(m): 5:19pm On Mar 04, 2013
CrazyMan:

@topic. How much is a bottle sold, I'd like to purchase one and drink.
CrazyMan, can this thread grace the front page?
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by firestar(f): 5:27pm On Mar 04, 2013
~vicky~:
Grotesque! sad But just out of curiosity, how do they get the cobra and scorpion in the bottle? undecided
(Although, I probably don't want to know.)

Good question.
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by greedie1(f): 7:44pm On Mar 04, 2013
CrazyMan:
well den i better not be sick cz i ain't taking dat even if my life depends on it....... i think grin

yuck yuck sad
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 04, 2013
say what? shocked shocked yuck!!

health benefits ko, ain't nobody drinking that stuff angry angry

1 Like

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Nobody: 11:37pm On Mar 04, 2013
[size=13pt]I'll take a sip! cheesy[/size]
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by blackmann(m): 11:38pm On Mar 04, 2013
Thanks, but no thanks.
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by huninaija(f): 11:38pm On Mar 04, 2013
Hmmm iv heard some stories about this wine, if i'm not mistaken there was a similar thread recently...

Me and my man must try some.... I want to see these healing qualities grin wink
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by YorubaOmoge: 11:39pm On Mar 04, 2013
omfg!!

Are those snakes alive?
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Nobody: 11:41pm On Mar 04, 2013
erm, recipe nko? so that I can make it in my house tongue tongue
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Goldie20: 11:42pm On Mar 04, 2013
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by devigblegble: 11:44pm On Mar 04, 2013
Huh
Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by pekelepekele(m): 11:46pm On Mar 04, 2013
If you don high and you break that bottle and those snake that have been caged in alcohol for months mistakenly comes out . It is game over 4 u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snake Wine: A Different Kind Of Beverage (with Pictures) by Nobody: 11:47pm On Mar 04, 2013
. I nor dey drinkI high wen i even dey tink am sef?___all there ASIANS mata don even taya me sef oo______follow me on twitter @abu_mikey i follow back

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NAFDAC Appeals Ruling Declaring Fanta, Sprite Poisonous With Vitamin C / '2GO Bread' Spotted In Asaba / What Dish Can You Cook So Well? (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.