Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,039 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low (9742 Views)

How Much Does a Kilowatt of Electricity Cost in Nigeria? / Latest On Privatisation Of Phcn / PHCN (NEPA) Wants To Increase Electricity Tariff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by gem87(f): 7:54pm On May 17, 2006
gee u guys hw wld 1 read all dat?

anyways i think the tarrifs r low to mk it affordable i mean how fair wld it be if only d rich cld afford it and electricity is used 4 wht it's meant 4, it's in d govt to do more to increase the supply and 4 longer periods of time,
dis ain't my thing so i just hope dat makes sense
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by DaHitler(m): 7:57pm On May 17, 2006
Gem, what you said makes sense, but you are assuming that the government can afford to supply power 24/7. They can't. Thats why I support them to raise the fees so that they can raise revenues to build more hydro plants (or what ever type of plant).
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by gem87(f): 8:18pm On May 17, 2006
but if they increase wht abt dose dat cn hardly afford it? some people can't pay dat means many won't hv access to electricity we're goung forward not back. ryt?
they cn get money frm other sources if they control the evil people dat syphone government money for personal gain
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by DaHitler(m): 8:44pm On May 17, 2006
Maybe. That is the sad part about capitalism. The poor have to wait at the back of the line to get service. cry
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 17, 2006
Afeni:

Gem, what you said makes sense, but you are assuming that the government can afford to supply power 24/7. They can't. Thats why I support them to raise the fees so that they can raise revenues to build more hydro plants (or what ever type of plant).
AFeni pls stop saying nonsense! Government CAN AFFORD to supply power 24/7, countries like Togo, Benin and Ghana who have achieved that "feat" are by no means richer than Nigeria! what revenues are they raising again? What about the billions sunk into that bottomless pit called NEPA?
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by DaHitler(m): 10:52pm On May 17, 2006
Davidylan, Ghana and Togo have populations of 21 million and 6 million respectively. Yes, Nigeria makes a lot more money than those countries, but Nigeria does not make 6 times as much as Ghana. Lesson to be learned, do not have more than 2 babies or you are hurting the country.
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by Nobody: 11:48pm On May 17, 2006
Yes Nigeria does have a population more than 6 times that of togo and ghana and SO DO WE MAKE MORE THAN 6 TIMES WHAT COUNTRIES LIKE TOGO WOULD EVER DREAM TO MAKE IN A YR! Nigeria made no less than $2bn between jan and feb 2006 alone from oil!
Stop saying nonsense, the population of a country has nothing to do with provision of infrastructure, if not countries like China and the USA should never dream of steady power supply and don't tell me it's because they earn much more than we do! Our problem is that of corruption fullstop!

FYI - Nigeria's budget  - N1,880bn - $13.54bn
        Ghana's budget  - $3.5bn
        Togo's budget - $292.9m

Ghana's budget is 3.87 times less than that of Nigeria while Togo's is a whooping 46 times less! The significance is that barring any changes, Nigeria's budget in one year is equal to Togo's budget for the next 46 yrs!
All based on 2005 estimates from the CIA fact book!
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by Seun(m): 12:14am On May 18, 2006
Apart from all I've said before, the mere act of raising the price will make the power sector more attractive for investors. This is where the future lies. Let's forget about NEPA being the solution to all problems. the price hike is a temporary solution that makes nEpA power available to those who need it most while we waitfor private investors.
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by mochafella(m): 12:22am On May 18, 2006
Seun:

the price hike is a temporary solution that makes nEpA power available to those who need it most while we waitfor private investors.

Um, as far as i know private investors have not being let into the market yet. Power generation still remains a monopoly in the hands of the government.

I can guarantee you that if a private investor is allowed in today and supplies electricity at a rate higher than PHCN but less than generators and the supply is reliable then they would have plenty of customers.

I don't think its an issue of raising prices per say but of market de-regulation. PHCN needs competition to get their act together, similar to what happened in the telecom sector.
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by bolex(m): 9:02am On May 18, 2006
Well

I aint gonna say much on this

We have enough electricity to provide 5 external countries who have constant power supply

This means our electricity price should be low

By the way

I think our fuel price is high enough self

So , what else do we want

high bills ?

cool

Not with the UP NEPA !!!!!!!!

damn , I miss Naija for that if not for anything
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by lagbaja(m): 10:32am On May 18, 2006
Increasing price will not necessarily drive out the poor consumers. You will be shocked to know that 90% of the power produced by PHCN goes to 10% of their customers, these 10% customers are the big industries and government. In fact, majority of PHCN debtors are government institutions. Increasing price will not in anyway deter this big users because it will still be more economical for them compared to running their generators. It will only make life more miserable for the poor users. Remember also that price is not arbitrary, it is a function of the cost of production.

In my opinion, NEPA's major problem is their inefficent billing system. It leads to wastages and leakages. They allow themselves to be owed huge debt and do nothing about it. They should focus more on an e-billing system (they have started on this anyway). If I have a prepaid NEPA meter, It allows me to control my consumption, obviously, an AC user will pay much more than a FAN user. We all have learnt lessons from the GSMs, now people are a better able to control their calls because they pay in advance. Even with NEPA's present tarriff, if they are able to collect all their bills monthly in advance, they will have enough to expand their power genaration. businesses will thrive and we will all have light at our homes.
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by Ashiwaju(m): 12:38pm On May 18, 2006
What in the name of God happened to my Previous Post who commot my post
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 18, 2006
Besides the same NEPA has no problems supplying countries like Niger electricity!
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by LoverBwoy(m): 7:59pm On May 18, 2006
We have enough electricity to provide 5 external countries who have constant power supply

This means our electricity price should be low

really? i thought that was a myth grin

if thats the case nigeria shouldnt really be be "exporting" electricty or how much revenue do we make from this kind of business angry

the u.k dont export their gas as they dont have enough
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by adconline(m): 8:23pm On Jan 13, 2007
My point - why is power sector not deregulated like Telcom sector? This will open up alot of competition and the govt would stop siphoning our funds through that channel. I think we need real analysis of expenditure on NEPA vs delivery. Can someone tell me what was their last year's budget and how their services improved or tanked. The problem is that corruption is too high- from Bola Ige's fixed deposit to Imoke and Co.Why not give the job to a technocrat not a political jobber.
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by Seun(m): 1:42pm On Mar 07, 2007
You will be shocked to know that 90% of the power produced by PHCN goes to 10% of their customers, these 10% customers are the big industries and government.
Before I can comment, I'll need to know the source of this statistic. I don't think it's true.
The big industries will be less wasteful in their power consumption if they are asked to pay more.
Afterall, they know how to conserve power when they are using their generating sets.

Davidylan said that people need electricity to survive. My question: how are we currently surviving?

The long term solution is privatization. The short term solution is to price it out of the reach of those who need it less.
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by LoverBwoy(m): 5:23pm On Mar 07, 2007
and who decide those who need it less? as long as they are paying for it. . .
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by Seun(m): 11:03pm On Mar 07, 2007
and who decide those who need it less? as long as they are paying for it. . .
Those who need it less will simply be those who refuse to pay the new tariff. Those who need it most will pay!
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by LoverBwoy(m): 11:45pm On Mar 07, 2007
And if 50% of the population wants to pay, do you think the current supply is enough?
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by Seun(m): 6:36am On Mar 08, 2007
If the supply is not enough, they can keep increasing the price until the demand falls to fit it exactly.
That's what private companies always do when they are unable to meet demand at the initial price. wink
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by dblock(m): 9:07am On Mar 09, 2007
Lesson to be learned, do not have more than 2 babies or you are hurting the country.

I agree, some people mate too much sad
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by vezycash(m): 10:40pm On Jul 06, 2009
Intresting,  that only 1 resident and usa guys think that they should raise their price. If your only food joint is selling crap and then decides to raise price, will you buy? well you gat no choice.

Like petrol production, raising prices has proven itself many times to be a stupid and lazy solution.

Give me 4 billion dollars and I'll create enough power for all,  no joke.

There is one great technology on ground called "Kite gen" google it and you'll see how magnificent it is. Bottom line is: How you send those dumb government guys out of their position?

My answer is get rich and take over. angry

One more thing, Seun update this forum's software. Its easy to do - just go back to where you downloaded the software and get the latest one so that the experience here will be better. If you want help before 28th of this month, I'll gladly assist.
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by jamace(m): 11:34am On Jul 07, 2009
Tariff is not low, my brother. These crooks (PHCN staff) collect toll most of the time without supplying anything. Our problem in all facets of our lives is corruption. Nobody wants to work judiciously but everybody wants to reap bountifully. The prepaid meters would have taken care of all that but Where have all the prepaid meters gone to? These are supposed to record accurate supplies and consumption, and invariably determine what a consumer has to pay. Have you tried getting the meter of late? My brother, the PHCN staff are against that as it will render their "egunje" stream dry, thus prefer the blanket billing where you pay whether there was supply or not, and most of the time no supply. This method enables them to collect tariff that will not be accounted for, Let's just leave matter for Mathias. At the appointed time, corruption will disappear and those who know what service is will be in place, then we shall enjoy what is ours, that is if we will still be alive by then. sad
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by edutee: 9:17pm On Jul 07, 2009
At the begining of his tenure his promised to set a state of emergency on power sector now for the past two years now where we
www.tradingdailypivot..com
Re: Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low by jamace(m): 12:00am On Jul 08, 2009
@Edutee

Abeg na PHCN/NEPA you come discuss or na your blog you come advertise? angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil Rebounds Above $50 As US Stockpile Drops / Top Venture Capital Firms For Raising Funds In Nigeria / FG Woos Chinese Investors For National Carrier

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.