Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Rich Dad, Poor Dad - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Rich Dad, Poor Dad (2171 Views)

'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' Author Files For Bankruptcy / Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? / Rich Dad,poor Dad:secure Your Future (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Rare(m): 9:13pm On May 05, 2006
Title of a book written by American-Japanese billionaire. Is everything in that book really practical from a Nigerian point of view.

I need your opinion if you've read the book (original or pirated copy)
If you haven't read it. What are doing in this business forum??
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by pascal(m): 12:51am On May 06, 2006
If we have to say the truth it will be very difficult to practice all what the book is talking about due to our social-cultural background where a family is not just the man, wife and children but inclusive is the extended family members.

But i strongly believe that following some of the steps and recommendations of the book one can make a breakthrough in life.

To inculcate the habit of saving money is the same no matter the society where you are living.

Investing in real estate is one of the major way to be rich as the is no deprecation in that sector as your investment will continue to appreciate always.

Above all discipline in managing resources no matter how Small or big is very important toward building a comfortable tomorrow.
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by eveseh(f): 9:05am On May 06, 2006
nice book i would like to read it
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by layi(m): 11:16am On May 09, 2006
Wonderful book. Read it and i'm the better for it
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by leilata(f): 12:26am On May 10, 2006
after a lot of good reviews from friends i read the book at least half way before i got really fed up as in i couldnt keep reading it. mainly because of the terrible writing style of the author, i mean i understand he is not a writer but come on how did that even get to a publishing house, it is soooooo badly written, but everyone keeps arguing its a great book maybe because it is an easy read, or my very critical views with regards to the way books are written, or my plain ol' arrogance, lol. Some of the tips are very very obvious especially if u are a business minded person or if u studied the field in a pratical way as opposed to a scholar way,
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Allwell(m): 6:57pm On May 11, 2006
Great book that one. How pratical in Nigeria,hmmm, not really ( except you take omo nile and agbero problem into mind when venturing into real estate!)
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Rare(m): 11:19am On May 12, 2006
@LEILATA; if you judge the book on its use of literary techniques, then I could do even better.

However the organisation,and build-up climaxes and its content is rich in useful information.

I think this is why the book gets gratuitous accolades!!!
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by kazey(m): 7:42pm On May 20, 2006
Robert Kiyosaki is rich but he is not a billionaire. Point of correction. His books are very good for paradigm change but they do not help beyound that.

But I would recommend it to people who are trapped in the world of rat racing. But not for already entrepreneurs or business minded folks.
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by blackchief(m): 4:29pm On Jun 29, 2006
Dandada, i would say have done a good job of analysis the book and relating it to Nigerian situation.

I believe the present reform being carried out by the federal govt. in the banking sector, insurance, telecoms, pension and NEPA (PHCN) would drive us toward big cooperation and big business and any investment now in any of the good business would lead to a way out of the rat race.
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by anton(m): 2:31pm On Jul 05, 2006
also check out the other books in the series. i like this one too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446694150/103-3659274-9909426?v=glance&n=283155

Another i like about kiyosaki is tha he gives a little bi of pracital insight into the cyclinal nature of the us economy and tells folks to prepare thier move based on thses cycles.

He covers alot of basic rules tha new "entreprenuers" may not have thought about before. If you just look at rich dad, poor dad, it only ok. You really have to check out the rest of them too. Just download them or something. wink
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by kazey(m): 12:28pm On Jul 06, 2006
hmm weird.l still think Kiyosaki's books doesn't go beyond a starter kit; this including his Guide to investment. l am also quiet certain that his theories on real estate and also option calls and puts are not applicable in Nigeria besides many developing countries out there. so l do realy find what some of you guys said.
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by page9(m): 11:04am On Jun 24, 2011
Reading through the thread, all I can see is that individual understanding and views differs.While some will always see a cup half-empty,others may see it half-full.

While all kiyosaki's theories may not b applicable here, if you apply most of the steps with ur ingenuity, it could make a difference.
I read his books in year 2000, the area that bothers me is the rat-race theory where you do all d work but you only get enough to survive till the next payday while the boss enjoy all the money!I got my paradigm shift thereafter and I started a side business in 2001 as a gsm dealer when gsm started not now when d biz is something else,resigned in 2002 and have never work for anyone since then. Have more than 35 staff on my pay roll now and still counting.

The lesson of the story is that information or knowledge is usefull only when it is applied.what works or doesn't work must first be tested.
It may not be easy but we all need to develop a good entreprenuer mindset where you see more opportunities when others in their usual xters see more problems.
I will recommend his books to those who are tired of working for someone and needs a paradigm shift.what you do after that now depends on how much sacrifice you are willing to endure
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Nairaplus(m): 11:40am On Jun 24, 2011
The problem is: "Most people are busy doing the wrong things!" Reading just the first book in the series is not enough. Read more. I have bought and read 9 of his books. It costs just N500 each. It doesn't hurt your pocket!

I am a big fan of Robert Kiyosaki. I am practising what he teaches and they really work for me. I don't know about you.

But come to think of it: Saving or Investing? Which is the best plan to follow? He did a very good job in explaining this. Moreover he writes his book based on personal experiences. As developed as America is, you cannot tell a lie as easily as you can do here in Nigeria. Because you know what? Someone will investigate and if they found out you are lying, they will spill the beans. And counting on the fact that he is a global celebrity, think of how widespread the effect of that would have been.

So stop arguing if he is telling the truth or not and start learning by keeping an open mind.

If you think he is lying start a business and do the exact opposite of what he teaches.

Just my one Naira contibution. Cheers!
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Weselion1(m): 7:41pm On Mar 05, 2012
Most of them are not practice-able
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by AjanleKoko: 4:42am On Mar 06, 2012
The book is a very good for understanding the way money works.
Especially for Nigerians/Africans who are very naive about these things. We need to know how to use our resources better.
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by pyx: 10:42pm On Mar 07, 2012
today i can testified that Rich dad Poor dad is a good book, I read the book and plugged myself into it. from a classsroom teacher now to an employer of labour in my two business and other sub business. Thank you Kiyosaki
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by grailife(m): 12:55am On Mar 08, 2012
after reading the book, i bought many of it and gave to my friends and they are still thanking me for that, its a great book
Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 08, 2012
Rich Dad Poor Dad never existed. The theory of money laid down in the book by Mr Kiyosaki, teaches frugality and respect for money whenever its is in your custody.

Two clear points stood out, Assets and Liability. This means assets generates money, liability takes money way from you.

Let me lay a money exercise here "if you come to have One hundred thousand naira by chance when you are broke" what will you do with it?

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Here Send Me Step By Step Manual On Export And Import / Fitch Ratings Of Nigerian Banks / Recharge Card Printing Made Easy:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.