Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Hw Can I Repair My Windows - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hw Can I Repair My Windows (790 Views)

Want To Repair My Hp Deskjet 2050 / My Windows 7 Operating System Is Fake, What Do I Do. / Where Can I Repair My Kodak Camera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hw Can I Repair My Windows by Middylek(m): 10:32am On Mar 21, 2008
Helo all,my pc got infected wit a virtob virus just yesternite,even though am usin d avast 4.6 antivirus,d problem now is dat most of d windows 32 program has bin moved 2d antivirus chest,now d pc has started malfunctionin,if i logon,it logs me out immediately,i stil hav d windows xp unlimited software,pls hw can i rectify dis fault.
Re: Hw Can I Repair My Windows by Neoteny(m): 12:19pm On Mar 21, 2008
if you repair using the windows cd, some files will still be infected and you will be back to square one. just format that baby.
Re: Hw Can I Repair My Windows by Middylek(m): 1:44pm On Mar 21, 2008
@neobaby, ok accepted,am gonna format it,do u kn of any operating software 2 use so as not 2 lose d datas on it,i kn its hard but i damn need dos files,
Re: Hw Can I Repair My Windows by Neoteny(m): 8:24pm On Mar 21, 2008
neobaby? do we have that kind of relationship? grin tongue

anyway im not clear wot you mean 'operating software". clarify please.
Re: Hw Can I Repair My Windows by nazzyon(m): 11:46pm On Mar 21, 2008
Not sure of what you want to do either.

But since you mentioned not to loose your Data.

My advice is for you to back up the content your drives into an external hard drive before formatting.

Then

Scan file you backed up before copying back into the hard drive after fresh installation.

Please, get a better anti-virus because the avast 4.6 is old. I think the recent update is 4.7+ or so.

Pls, try to go straight forward with your questions. It will attract quick responses because few people have the time to go through requests.

Guru's like Neotony and others are here to solve problems.
Re: Hw Can I Repair My Windows by dayooye(m): 8:24am On Mar 22, 2008
enter the sytem in safe mode and try to back up your data, after that format your hard drive.ok
Re: Hw Can I Repair My Windows by sayhi2ay(m): 2:36am On Mar 25, 2008
if the virus can affect your system files, how much more your needed files get a norton 2008 anitvirus,
Re: Hw Can I Repair My Windows by crazylegs(m): 11:27am On Mar 25, 2008
@neotony
Can I call you neobaby too? cheesy You must have been a bit frightened there

@topic
Some people don't like formatting their systems and reinstalling their operating systems. I think its OK because it cleans up your system and for the next few days is as good as new. You really notice the difference. If you decide to I think nazzyon's advice is very good.

If you don't want to format your system you can repair your windows installation. The advantage of this is that you don't have to reinstall all your programs and so on

**BACK UP ALL YOUR FILES FIRST**

To repair a windows installation (i.e. replace system files that have been deleted)
boot from your windows CD

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, press Enter to start the Windows Setup. (Choose "To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER."wink
3. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
4. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, [b]END [/b]setup.
5. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
6. There is no substitute for an up to date antivirus. I like Avast but update to 4.7 and make sure the virus database is up to date.

Good luck and keep us posted
Re: Hw Can I Repair My Windows by Ralvy(m): 3:31pm On Mar 25, 2008
Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Winlogon – on the right pane, You will find “Userinit”

Edit the string and leave the value as “C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,”
Exactly the way I have written it.

What the Virus did was to add another file. .
i.e after the , - it will add C:\Windows\system32\[Virus name]. .
So both files are executed when You’re logging in. . So its like the virus file has been integrated into Winlogon!
In this case, Avast has already deleted the file so the system cannot find this file to login with, so its like – You told me to do this and the file is not there . .
So it logs you off immediately. . Changing it back to the value above will put things in order. . I did a silly test with “Gongo Aso” on a friend’s Laptop and the Song just kept playing, and cannot be ended via Task Manager because it will be seen as a “Critical Process”.

To accomplish this, the Registry on the Infected OS has to be edited. .
So, I advice you to install Windows XP on the same hard drive, Enter the registry, then Load Hives [Your infected OS registry files]. .

The file you will be editing is located here:

“C:\WINDOWS\system32\config” and is called “SOFTWARE”, NOT “SOFTWARE.SAV” – Take Note.

Another easy way is to open the system, take out the hard drive, slave it and edit it. .
Easy Ryt wink

Wish You the Best man and Try to do it yourself. .
If u experience problems, Call me - 08055331431

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Password My System To Request For A Password To Boot/@ Boot Time. / Buy A 3 Months Used P4 Desktop Computer With Flat Screen Monitor / Software To Track Any Phone Number In Us And Get The Owner's Info Include Addre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.