Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,333 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! (5495 Views)

A Car Constructed With Wood With Motorcycle Engine In Bida / How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? / Is Warming Up A Car In The Morning Good For The Car Engine Or Not ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by symbianDON(m): 3:27pm On Mar 06, 2013
SHOULD I SHUT OFF THE MOTOR WHEN I'M IDLING MY CAR HERE'S THE RULE OF THUMB: If you're in a drive-through restaurant/business
line or waiting for someone and you'll be parked and sitting for 10 seconds
or longer... turn off your car's engine. Why?? For every two minutes a car is idling, it uses about the same amount of fuel
it takes to go about one mile. Research indicates that the average person
idles their car five to 10 minutes a day. People usually idle their cars more
in the winter than in the summer. But even in winter, you don't need to let
your car sit and idle for five minutes to "warm it up" when 30 seconds will
do just fine. But you're not going anywhere. Idling gets ZERO miles per gallon. The recommendation is: If you are going to be parked for more than 30
seconds, turn off the engine. Ten seconds of idling can use more fuel than
turning off the engine and restarting it. And when you start your engine,
don't step down on the accelerator, just simply turn the key to start. An alternative to idling is to park your car, walk inside, do your business
and then go back to your car. Here are some other Myths associated with idling. Myth #1: The engine should be warmed up before driving. Reality: Idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The
best way to do this is to drive the vehicle. With today's modern engines,
you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before driving
away. Myth #2: Idling is good for your engine. Reality: Excessive idling can actually damage your engine components, including cylinders, spark plugs,
and exhaust systems. Fuel is only partially combusted when idling because
an engine does not operate at its peak temperature. This leads to the build
up of fuel residues on cylinder walls that can damage engine components
and increase fuel consumption. Myth #3: Shutting off and restarting your vehicle is hard on the engine
and uses more gas than if you leave it running. Reality: Frequent restarting has little impact on engine components like the battery and the
starter motor. Component wear caused by restarting the engine is
estimated to add $10 (N1,600) per year to the cost of driving, money that will likely
be recovered several times over in fuel savings from reduced idling. The
bottom line is that more than ten seconds of idling uses more fuel than
restarting the engine.
Source: www.consumerenergycenter.org/myths/idling.html

2 Likes

Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by symbianDON(m): 9:11am On Mar 07, 2013
surely many of us are guilty of this? Yeah, actually it's like a normal thing for us which we ve been doing in error. U know, letting the car 'warm up' for like 5minutes before dfiving it every morning. My neighbour even revs his engine cos according to him it's a german machine. Lol. I came across the article above and i was like.........wooowwww!!!
Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
okay comments later
Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by wwwkaycom(m): 12:23am On Mar 08, 2013
This contradicts all I have been told since I started driving. Thanks Bro, I am learning, cheers!
Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by cardoctor(m): 4:49am On Mar 08, 2013
symbianDON: SHOULD I SHUT OFF THE MOTOR WHEN I'M IDLING MY CAR HERE'S THE RULE OF THUMB: If you're in a drive-through restaurant/business
or longer... turn off your car's engine. Why?? For every two minutes a car is idling, it uses about the same amount of fuel
do just fine. But you're not going anywhere. Idling gets ZERO miles per gallon. The recommendation is: If you are going to be parked for more than 30
don't step down on the accelerator, just simply turn the key to start. An alternative to idling is to park your car, walk inside, do your business
and then go back to your car. Here are some other Myths associated with idling. Myth #1: The engine should be warmed up before driving. Reality: Idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The
away. Myth #2: Idling is good for your engine. Reality: Excessive idling can actually damage your engine components, including cylinders, spark plugs,
and increase fuel consumption. Myth #3: Shutting off and restarting your vehicle is hard on the engine
and uses more gas than if you leave it running. Reality: Frequent restarting has little impact on engine components like the battery and the
estimated to add $10 (N1,600) per year to the cost of driving, money that will likely
restarting the engine.

Very advisable but there really is nothing wrong with driving off almost immediately you start your car engine. Just make sure that you keep the revs low within the 750 to 1500 rev band until the engine sufficiently attains it operating temperature.
Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by plendil: 11:23pm On Mar 08, 2013
wwwkaycom:
This contradicts all I have been told since I started driving. Thanks Bro, I am learning, cheers!

same here. interesting article BTW. Just wish it had more facts to back up some of these claims.

Its a well known fact that racing a cold engine is the easiest way to early wear and tear. but I suppose the article is trying to point out that the time spent warming up the engine (up to five minutes idling in my case) actually does more damage.
Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by Nobody: 3:21am On Mar 09, 2013
Warming up cars is generally a bad idea. You should drive off as soon as the engine is running albeit in low rpms until the drivetrain is up to running temperature.

As far as shutting off the engine while idling, I don't subscribe to that. Newer cars are doing it but the components were designed for that. The key thing is to have your enigen well services and in good running condition.

1 Like

Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by Godhead4(m): 5:18pm On Feb 07, 2019
Wow
Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by Kingdemu: 11:20am On Oct 15, 2020
symbianDON:
SHOULD I SHUT OFF THE MOTOR WHEN I'M IDLING MY CAR HERE'S THE RULE OF THUMB: If you're in a drive-through restaurant/business
and increase fuel consumption
. Myth #3: Shutting off and restarting your vehicle is hard on the engine
restarting the engine.
Gazzuzz, Nurey, Kingreign... What's your thoughts on the bolded?
Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by paix(m): 5:05pm On Oct 25, 2020
symbianDON:
restarting the engine.

On the contrary, I learnt that starting a car consumes more fuel than running it for 30 seconds. That's why some even advised that it's economical to leave the engine running when you're stopped at traffic lights. I stand to be corrected, though.

1 Like

Re: Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! by symbianDON(m): 7:09pm On Oct 25, 2020
paix:
On the contrary, I learnt that starting a car consumes more fuel than running it for 30 seconds. That's why some even advised that it's economical to leave the engine running when you're stopped at traffic lights. I stand to be corrected, though.
no sir. try to Google idling vs starting my car.

(1) (Reply)

Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. / First Real Flying Car / Report Your BMW To Mayor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.