Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,904 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. (5497 Views)

Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth / Harmful Effects Of Improper Use Of Automotive Air Conditioning (Pics) / Would You Buy This Air Conditioning Motorcycle Helmet For ₦218 Thousand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 9:01am On Feb 25, 2020
As you know, it is no fun to drive car without AC in Nigeria. No matter the season we are in, here in Nigeria, you will always want your car AC to be at top performance because of the hot weather, incessant rain during the raining season to protect your car interior from deteriorating to something you don't like during the dry season.

Many people have spent huge amount of money on their car AC system but they ended up regretting their spending because the AC refuses to work perfectly or works for some weeks and then pack up.
Feel free to narrate your own experience here and let's solve the problems together.

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 9:06am On Feb 25, 2020
Below is a picture of how the AC system of a car works. Let it be in your mind that there are two systems, one uses the expansion valve while the other uses orifice for pressure control, as we move on, we shall know the differences between them.

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 9:38am On Feb 25, 2020
Here are things you should not do concerning your car's AC system.

1. Don't always switch off your engine while the AC system is still on and working: while you may make mistake sometimes and forgets to switch off your AC before switching off your ignition, it's not a good habit to always leave the AC system of the car on and switch off the ignition. The proper way is to make sure you switch off the AC system first, put your gear lever in neutral or parking position and then switch off the engine ignition last. The easiest way to crash your AC's compressor is to repeatedly switch off the engine while the compressor is engaged and still very busy.

2. The second thing you need to always avoid is the reverse of the number 1., That is, Don't Start your car's engine with the AC system still on: ensure you check your AC power buttons whether it's on before you start your car. The easiest way to know whether the AC is on before you start your car is to first turn your car key to the ON position at the ignition key mouth and wait a bit, then you will notice air blowing out from your car's AC vents at the dashboard, the moment you notice that, you should look for your AC fan button on the dashboard and switch it off, after that, you can now start your car without any fear about the AC system. If you always notice that your AC fan is always on whenever you want to start your car, this either mean that you off your car's engine while the AC system is still on or one of your children/kids is playing around your dashboard.

More...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 10:37am On Feb 25, 2020
3. Don't Top AC Gas: one of the major enemies of AC system is leakage. The rubber seals installed at various connections and joints of AC system can fail due to chemical reactions between them and the gas and oil in the system. The chemical composition of the gas can cause the seals to fail when you are always found of topping your car AC Gas with all manners of AC gas in the name of wanting better cooling. Wrong mixture of AC gas can also have adverse effect on your AC compressor.
Rather than adding to the gas already in the system, you should first remove/evacuate the one that was in the system and recharge the system with a new gas entirely. Do note that, there is/are leakages in the system whenever you have to top AC Gas too frequently like every week or every month in order to keep it cooling. There might be other minor/major issues apart from leakages, your best option is to take your car for AC system services in a professional Auto AC repairs garage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 10:44am On Feb 25, 2020
4. Don't delay to repair Leakages.: Another enemy of AC system is moisture and air. Whenever your AC system is leaking, the system sucks in air containing dirty particles and moisture which is very detrimental to the compressor, condenser and the entire system. This can cause system blockage, failed compressor, inadequate cooling, wasting of money to top the gas again and again, etc. Your best decision is to go for repairs and services of the AC ASAP.
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 11:21am On Feb 25, 2020
5. Don't leave the fan button at highest position all the time: the compressor is the most expensive part of the AC system, running your car AC too often with the highest fan position will overwork your compressor. While it's good to operate the system at the highest position once in a while, you don't want to always do that.

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by proclinician: 12:11pm On Feb 25, 2020
Great tips.

People usually talk about converting their compressor from auto to manual and I've heard it in camry muscle users. What other cars are frequent to having problems that warrant this fix?
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 5:40pm On Feb 25, 2020
proclinician:
Great tips.

People usually talk about converting their compressor from auto to manual and I've heard it in camry muscle users. What other cars are frequent to having problems that warrant this fix?
Toyota solara, Lexus RX 330, RX 350, some specs of Lexus GX, IS and ES, Some Peugeot cars, etc
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by bonnyhope: 5:42pm On Feb 25, 2020
Good tips

I used to be guilty of #1 then

1 Like

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by proclinician: 5:50pm On Feb 25, 2020
Motorways:

Toyota solara, Lexus RX 330, RX 350, some specs of Lexus GX, IS and ES, Some Peugeot cars, etc

Okay
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by kkulaja(m): 6:34pm On Feb 25, 2020
Frequent service of the car AC.

Like the split /window units in our homes require routine maintenance service to remain in mortuary standard

The car condenser tend to gather dusts more than even the home units as dey are mobile and sometimes even swim in muddy water, this can cause the condenser to block partially and continued usage like this can make the compressor over work itself without still achieving the mortuary standard chilling
You should have ur condenser steam washed at least quarterly

1 Like

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by alezzy13: 8:04pm On Feb 25, 2020
I need a good ac repairer in Abuja. My air cools and stops intermittently. And recently it's like it stopped cooling altogether. I'm getting tired of it.
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 10:35am On Feb 26, 2020
alezzy13:
I need a good ac repairer in Abuja. My air cools and stops intermittently. And recently it's like it stopped cooling altogether. I'm getting tired of it.

What's the brand of the car and what's the Model?
We can attend to you and help you solve the issues with your car AC system. You can chat me up on Whatsapp.
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 1:31pm On Feb 26, 2020
6. Don't fail to wash your condenser at carwash, at least once a month: whenever the condenser is being washed, ensure the carwash person don't point his washing gun too close to the condenser body. This is to avoid damaging the condenser, because the water gun delivers a very high pressure and high impact stream of water from its nozzle which can easily damage the condenser and cause the system to leak. The condenser should be carefully washed by a professional carwash person who knows what he's doing or by a person you personally informed. It is not good for condenser outer cells to be clogged with mud or dust or leaves, etc, because this can drastically reduce the cooling of the AC system, the system becomes inefficient, the compressor suffers as the thermostat may not function well and by this the compressor may continue to work non-stop which is not good at all, the system may starts to leak at the high pressure line/pipe connections, etc.

Some examples of clogged AC condenser cooling cells:

1 Like

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 1:48pm On Feb 26, 2020
Motorways:
6. Don't fail to wash your condenser at carwash, at least once a month: whenever the condenser is being washed, ensure the carwash person don't point his washing gun too close to the condenser body. This is to avoid damaging the condenser, because the water gun delivers a very high pressure and high impact stream of water from its nozzle which can easily damage the condenser and cause the system to leak. The condenser should be carefully washed by a professional carwash person who knows what he's doing or by a person you personally informed. It is not good for condenser outer cells to be clogged with mud or dust or leaves, etc, because this can drastically reduce the cooling of the AC system, the system becomes inefficient, the compressor suffers as the thermostat may not function well and by this the compressor may continue to work non-stop which is not good at all, the system may starts to leak at the high pressure line/pipe connections, etc.

Some examples of clogged AC condenser cooling cells:
If your car's AC compressor and other systems are working well and there is adequate gas and compressor oil in system yet, the AC is still not chilling/cooling, then a clogged/dirty condenser cooling fins/cell may be the issue. Simple, right? But this can make you spend so much money if you're not well informed and if the right steps are not taken. This is what happens in most cases when you are being advices by quack technicians to buy another compressor and another condenser, because they feel the compressor is not delivering the right pressure and how can it deliver when all is not well with his closest neighbor?
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 2:35pm On Feb 26, 2020
7. Peradventure, your car engine does overheat, DO NOT turn on your car AC system at all, rather double check to ensure the AC system is off. Though the AC will not cool at all when the cause of the overheating is the radiator fan, in most cases, the AC will still work perfectly after fixing the overheating issue. Your best decision on this is to make sure you don't run your AC with an engine that is overheating. If you're driving and your AC suddenly stops cooling the number one thing to check is your dashboard temperature gauge reading, if the vehicle is overheating, the gauge will be above middle position and may even be at the red zone, you must park your car at this point and carefully check what is going wrong with your vehicle. DO NOT run your car AC if your car engine is doing overheating.
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by AshipaEk0: 4:25pm On Feb 26, 2020
Motorways:
Here are things you should not do concerning your car's AC system.

1. Don't always switch off your engine while the AC system is still on and working: while you may make mistake sometimes and forgets to switch off your AC before switching off your ignition, it's not a good habit to always leave the AC system of the car on and switch off the ignition. The proper way is to make sure you switch off the AC system first, put your gear lever in neutral or parking position and then switch off the engine ignition last. The easiest way to crash your AC's compressor is to repeatedly switch off the engine while the compressor is engaged and still very busy.

2. The second thing you need to always avoid is the reverse of the number 1., That is, Don't Start your car's engine with the AC system still on: ensure you check your AC power buttons whether it's on before you start your car. The easiest way to know whether the AC is on before you start your car is to first turn your car key to the ON position at the ignition key mouth and wait a bit, then you will notice air blowing out from your car's AC vents at the dashboard, the moment you notice that, you should look for your AC fan button on the dashboard and switch it off, after that, you can now start your car without any fear about the AC system. If you always notice that your AC fan is always on whenever you want to start your car, this either mean that you off your car's engine while the AC system is still on or one of your children/kids is playing around your dashboard.

More...

what does this damage? what component of the AC system?

i have a vehicle that the AC stops cooling if either of these points is done.

but usually a scanner is hooked up and the ECU cleared. the AC then resumes work.

would help to know which component has been so damaged
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Gboliwe: 5:53pm On Feb 26, 2020
My engine stalls or goes off in traffic when AC is on. I am told it's a big compressor, too big for the engine. How true is this?
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by adeloly(f): 9:20am On Feb 27, 2020
Please how much can one get good AC compressor (Pencil Light)
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 12:28pm On Feb 27, 2020
AshipaEk0:

what does this damage? what component of the AC system?

i have a vehicle that the AC stops cooling if either of these points is done.

but usually a scanner is hooked up and the ECU cleared. the AC then resumes work.

would help to know which component has been so damaged

This can damage the compressor, the clutch plate for manual compressor, the coil, the electronics board for the cars using a separate electronic module for their ac systems, the resistor, for those cars using resistors, etc.
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 12:32pm On Feb 27, 2020
Gboliwe:
My engine stalls or goes off in traffic when AC is on. I am told it's a big compressor, too big for the engine. How true is this?
Which brand of car is it?
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 12:35pm On Feb 27, 2020
adeloly:
Please how much can one get good AC compressor (Pencil Light)
N18,500
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Gboliwe: 1:23pm On Feb 27, 2020
Motorways:

Which brand of car is it?

Matrix
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by eaglepraxis: 1:56pm On Feb 27, 2020
Pls how much is a compressor for Lexus GX470 2006 and also condenser? Thanks.
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by totit: 2:05pm On Feb 27, 2020
@ Op.

Please, recommend a good AC repairer. Mine is working tho but it's blowing heat.

And lest I forget, it's Nissan Xterra, 2000, SUV.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Nanagom: 6:46pm On Feb 27, 2020
My ac is giving me serious issues
Blowing hot air
Will cool for a few minutes and stop
Decided to take it for repairs
They said they’d change the compressor
Condenser
Valve
Etc
Gas is mixing with oil
I just changed compressor not upto 6 months
Said the compressor is cracked hence can’t retain gas, this is expensive for me is there no way I can repair instead of buying
2010 Honda Accord
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by buygala(m): 7:20pm On Feb 27, 2020
Nanagom:
My ac is giving me serious issues
Blowing hot air
Will cool for a few minutes and stop
Decided to take it for repairs
They said they’d change the compressor
Condenser
Valve
Etc
Gas is mixing with oil
I just changed compressor not upto 6 months
Said the compressor is cracked hence can’t retain gas, this is expensive for me is there no way I can repair instead of buying
2010 Honda Accord

Bros wind down and enjoy fresh air grin

If you are in Lagos, contact Mosbus... that's his moniker on this forum..

Be ready to spend if you wanna have a permanent ac fix sha...
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by peddas: 7:37pm On Feb 27, 2020
Pls I have this issue with my car ac ,no matter how much the sun , the ac chills while on motion, but as soon as I stop ,it doesn't cool again.The car is toyota avensis 2007, and the compressor is denso.
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Nanagom: 7:46pm On Feb 27, 2020
buygala:

Bros wind down and enjoy fresh air grin

If you are in Lagos, contact Mosbus... that's his moniker on this forum..

Be ready to spend if you wanna have a permanent ac fix sha...

But outside air is blowing hot too na grin

1 Like

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 7:58pm On Feb 27, 2020
Gboliwe:

Matrix
You need to check the engine performance, because if your car engine is weak, if it misfires, if the injection system needs servicing, spark plugs and coil and valves are bad, if the engine's compression is very weak, all of these and many more are what can cause it. Then you need to find out which car's compressor is fixed in your car, this is because, yes it's possible the technician fixed a compressor that was meant for a large V6 engine on your car engine which is a small 4cylinder engine.

1 Like

Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 8:08pm On Feb 27, 2020
totit:
@ Op.

Please, recommend a good AC repairer. Mine is working tho but it's blowing heat.

And lest I forget, it's Nissan Xterra, 2000, SUV.

Thanks in advance.
Which state do you reside?
Please, check my signature maybe we can talk more about it.
Re: Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. by Motorways: 8:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
peddas:
Pls I have this issue with my car ac ,no matter how much the sun , the ac chills while on motion, but as soon as I stop ,it doesn't cool again.The car is toyota avensis 2007, and the compressor is denso.
The compressor is weak or the condenser is very dirty or the radiator fan is very weak or there is small blockage in the system. Two or more or all of these can be the cause of the malfunction. Check my signature, maybe we can talk more about this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Real Flying Car / Report Your BMW To Mayor / A Nairalander Finished His Speedometer On Nigerian Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.