Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,179 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe (11555 Views)

How To Avoid Paying The Dreaded Omonile Signing Fees Scam In Lagos And Ogun / Lagos Real Estate/ Omonile Land Scams Exposed! Learn how not to be Conned / The Cost And Conditions For Building These Types Of Houses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by lawyer(m): 4:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
I read this article yesterday via mobile punch newspaper with respect to Houses being demolished by the Lagos State Government and i want to comment on some specific things regarding the demolition and property related issues: ( Please read carefully Line by Line)

Lagos demolishes buildings in Epe, residents groan

MARCH 6, 2013 BY SESAN OLUFOWOBI 17 COMMENTS

Residents packing their belongings
Lagos State Government on Tuesday demolished buildings allegedly occupying government land in Odoiragunshi community, Eredo Local Council Development Area, Epe.

The exercise carried out by the combined team of the state Task Force on Environment and Special Offence Unit and Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, left many residents in anguish, watching helplessly as bulldozers pulled down their structures.

Some of the affected residents claimed they possess necessary government documents to prove their ownership of the land on which the buildings were erected.

But government officials argued that the buildings were constructed on an industrial area as reflected in the state master plan.

Although some of the buildings have approved plans boldly written on them, the officials insisted that they were fraudulently acquired from government officials.

No fewer than 100 buildings were completely brought down, while many of the affected residents rushed to the scene from their offices.

Many fainted on seeing government’s bulldozers turn their homes to rubble.

The Chairman of the Task Force, Mr. Bayo Sulaimon, a CSP, said government would not sacrifice the land for selfish interest of some individuals at the expense of the larger public.

This place is meant for a project that will benefit Lagosians. How did they manage to acquire this land in the first place. Apart from that, they built without approval and government cannot allow individual interest to override public interest.

“Those who are building on government’s land, thinking that nothing will happen, should have a rethink. Government will rise up and take action one day. This is a message for land grabbers and unsuspecting buyers,” Sulaiman said.

Sulaiman added that the government had visited the area more than four times to intimate the residents on the new project.

He said, “They (residents) quickly erected the structures, thinking that once they are erected, government would have a rethink.

People should seek information from government on any land before paying for or building on the land.

One of the affected landlords, Mr Tajudeen Debo, said, “I obtained all my papers validly from the government. When they began threatening us we went to Alausa to have a meeting with them but we were told the permanent secretary of Land Bureau was not around, so they rescheduled the meeting for March 13, but today March 5, they are demolishing our houses.”

Meanwhile, the state Assembly has summoned the Commissioner for Physical Planning, Environment and the Permanent Secretary Lands Bureau over the exercise.

A lawmaker, Segun Olulade, who raised the motion under Matter of Urgent Public Importance during a plenary, reminded his colleagues that the Assembly had ordered a “Stay Action” on the land, pending the end of an investigation into the issue.

The Speaker, Adeyemi Ikuforiji, said it was better that the commissioner and the officials appear before the House on Tuesday to shed light on this issue.

First and foremost condolence to the families who lost their houses in this demolition. Whether the Government is right or Wrong, it isn't a good thing to hear of somebody's house being razed down either by fire, flood or by demolition. But this demolition has raised some pertinent issues real estate wise which i want to bring out because something fishy is going on in the Land Bureau at Alausa and we must get to the bottom of it. I want to treat some parts that i highlighted boldly from the article and see where we can find a solution to this crisis.

Firstly:

Some of the affected residents claimed they possess necessary government documents to prove their ownership of the land on which the buildings were erected.

But government officials argued that the buildings were constructed on an industrial area as reflected in the state master plan.

Although some of the buildings have approved plans boldly written on them, the officials insisted that they were fraudulently acquired from government officials.

1. If the Land owners had necessary Government Documents to prove ownership, why didn't they present it before their houses where demolished?

2. Also if we take the defence of the Lagos state Government that the buildings where constructed on an industrial area as reflected in the state master plan, how many people knew that area was designated as an Industrial area? The problem here lies squarely on the feet of the Lagos state land bureau because they are known for hoarding Information. Who in their right senses would buy or construct a house where he or she has been told that it has been designated for Industrial purposes and is under acquisition? How many people know they have to do a thorough search before they buy lands. What medium has the Lagos State land bureau taken to educate people on the pros and cons of buying lands in area under acquisition.

Everything is shrouded in secrecy. Even an experienced Property investigator like me still has to navigate the murky corridors of Alausa to get these informations and daily i hear new places that are under acquisition which they hide from the public. For you to even get this information, you have to give kick backs to civil servants to tell you your right talk less of people that have lived in a rural area like Epe all their lives that have no idea what it means for a land to be under Government acquisition or not.

Finally how many people can confidently raise their hands to say they have seen the Lagos State's Masterplan? If i Google New York or the borough of London's Master plan i will get it immediately within seconds and it will tell me which areas to buy and places to avoid. Can the same be said of the city of Lagos? How many people know the areas in Lagos that are zoned for Industrial estate or Government Schemes etc. Personally i think the Lagos State Land Bureau has scored an Own Goal and still scoring it because they fail to inform people about these things. These information are public information that every citizen of Lagos residing here should know. That's why Omoniles reign supreme in Lagos because of this lack of information and its really sad.

3. Another issue is that the Government officials said that the Building plans where fraudulently acquired. First question that comes to my mind is this: Isn't it the Same Lagos state Town Planning Office that approved the building plans? Can somebody procure a building plan from the road? How many people know the process of acquiring a building plan and cost? How did they know the building plans were fraudulent? Did they see the signatures of who approved it? What happened to the fees paid to the Lagos state Government to get this building plan? Are they going to return it? Government fraud and Omonile fraud = Fraud ( Plain and Simple) You cannot rob peter to pay pay and now call the money illegal money. This is a high level scam that i know of that has being going on for years in the Town planning Office. They refuse to educate or divulge information and make the buyer of the land spend so much money stupidly to acquire a fake Building plan and after they have chopped the buyers money, they will now appear and say the land is under acquistion. This is very bad and honestly God will punish these people causing this kind of pain and anguish to homeowners. How do you fraudulently acquire Title documents from GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS? Isn't that double speak of the highest order and extremely contradictory? Where else is a prospective builder supposed to get his document from? Isn't it from a Government official of the relevant Government office responsible for it?

Finally my ranting ends with this quote:

“Those who are building on government’s land, thinking that nothing will happen, should have a rethink. Government will rise up and take action one day. This is a message for land grabbers and unsuspecting buyers,” Sulaiman said.

Bottomline do your land search thoroughly. Now Millions of Naira worth of Houses has been thrown away and demolished if only these people did a thorough search. I will feel sorry for them because they are in Epe and they probably where not exposed to Land searches back then but a prospective land buyer now in Lagos especially in Lekki/ Ajah who ignores this warning should read the above quote properly. Government has left you in the hands of Omonile to deal with you mercilessly and if you fall into their trap, the Government will add more pains to your sorrows.

What a sad world we live in! Pls shine your eye and may God not allow what happened in Epe be your portion

Learn More on How to prevent such things happening to you:

https://www.nairaland.com/1113905/lagos-real-estate-omonile-land

https://www.nairaland.com/859159/2011-land-property-scams-swindles

https://www.nairaland.com/595696/land-fraudsters-tricks-learnt-2010

10 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by blank(f): 4:44pm On Mar 07, 2013
I am wondering if this affects lands that are under government acquisition but are have been ratified via Land Title office?
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by andysheok4jes: 4:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
You Can OWN YOUR OWN PROPERTY with JUST N3.6M and above here in Lagos,Nigeria?!!!? From STUDIO APARTMENT to 1BEDROOM apartment to 2,3. 08078894785 or andysheokdwealthy1@gmail.com.
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by momodub: 5:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
smileyThis is Lagos
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by UnknownMember: 5:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
[b]Again, the Nogerian government shows why they are very useless..

1. I don't blame the government of Fashola for demolishing those houses. If they were built on illegally acquire lands, then they have to go. I don't blame Fashola because those houses and the associated deals that handed over the lands to the owners most likely precedes his administration. However, I think he needs to set up a panel to investigate the deals and claims of the house owners. Anybody who has acquired a land in this country, wether government owned or community land knows that it is indeed a difficult process. From acquiring C-of-O to even enquiring about a parcel of land all involves bribery and underhand dealings. He needs to look into the claims of the affected house owners especially if they produce genuine documents of approval from government agencies. Cases like this can lead to prosecution of those who were in charge of these agencies.

2. Where were these agencies when these Landlords started the building of these houses. Anybody who has ever built a house or been involved in the building of one kows that immediately you mobilize workers to the site, all manner of community and government agencies decend on your site demanding one approval or the other which it's be paid up on full before work is allowed to continue. If these agencies approved building plans, permits and all other such documentations for houses being built on illegally acquired lands, shouldn't they also have some sort of liability in this matter?

3. How straight forward is the Lands and housing agency and all other associated agencies that deal with lands in Lagos!? If I need to purchase a land tomorrow, can I easily get information on that land!? This Lagos state master plan, how easily assesible is it to Nigerians!? I ask because if it is indeed still shrouded in secrecy, more Nigerians would fall victim tomorrow.

on a final note, the owners of the affected houses should go to court, although I doubt they would get much as the houses are indeed built on illegally acquired lands. Fashola should also look into some sort of compensation for the affected parties. He isn't blind to how difficult things are in the country and for somebody to lose a house in these trying times, it could kill some of them especially the retirees and those who were genuinely ignorant in this matter. To intending Land owners, please do a proper research on all properties before you acquire them.

#Nuff Said.

[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by iamswizz(m): 5:14pm On Mar 07, 2013
hello... please i am new on these forum... how can i like somebody's comment? even though i dislike it.. and how can i comment on this topic....

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by gen2briz(m): 5:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
Space reserve
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by gen2briz(m): 5:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
iamswizz: hello... please i am new on these forum... how can i like somebody's comment?

Click like at the bottom of the person comment... Lobatan

1 Like

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 07, 2013
WTF?? This nyggah has started demolishing houses in my ancestral home as well shocked

Leave Epe alone, we're already being marganilised by the subgroup that has turned Lagos state government into their birth-right...

I'll take this nyggah to Hague - stop this madness!!!

1 Like

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by ebamma(m): 5:20pm On Mar 07, 2013
iamswizz: hello... please i am new on these forum... how can i like somebody's comment? even though i dislike it.. and how can i comment on this topic....

Thanks
.Send like to 419419419419 and a comment you like will be liked automatically.

1 Like

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Kells677(m): 5:23pm On Mar 07, 2013
Dnt hv d tym 2 go 2ru dt long story cn sum1 sumarize it 4 me tnks in advance
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 07, 2013

If the buildings were constructed on an industrial area, and the people possess the required legal documents - why can't these nutters compensate them I just hope the lands in question were acquired dubiously from government officials and not lands belonging to the people of Epe... Seriously, this nyggah needs to go to his part of the state and destroy the properties there...

Epe is like a goldmine for the natives and the people are just waiting for the land prices to go up after the completion of the airport and eko atlantic city to start making millions off their god given assets... Stop this madness already...

1 Like

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by AZeD1(m): 5:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
OP
I think both parties are out fault. The government because of the "hoarding" of information by some of the staffs. There are actually "some" good staffs.

I blame the people because we Nigerians like to take shortcuts. I have a relation who is an architect and he was telling me about projects he has done in some areas of lagos. That area has been marked for agricultural purposes so if you build a house, you would not get a genuine C/O. The people who he built houses for and those in that area know that the land is meant for purely agricultural businesses but they are on God instead of doing the right thing.

2 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by molujagun: 5:30pm On Mar 07, 2013
The lawyer is very correct.
These information should all be public.
Governor Fashola cannot say he is doing a good job when after 6 years of being the CEO of lagos state, ordinary citizens cannot access the state's master plan.
This is just plainly shameful. He sits in his Ivory Tower at Alausa and says rubbish on good governance - good governance my foot.
This is simply hardship of the common man and he knows it (afterall he is not a silver spoon himself having grown up in Masha area of surulere)
There is time to make ammends Fash, if you do not know, i will tell you:
1. Set up a compensation board so that you can investigate each case and come to a decision on its merits. For every "Bona Fide Purchaser for Value without Notice of the irregularity - then you must compensate them
2. Task Hakeem Muri-Okunola to get on his skates publish the entire Lagos State master plan on the internet
If you want any help let me know.

7 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Sweetapple007(f): 5:30pm On Mar 07, 2013
The gov shld compensate those that hav valid document. This is nigeria a land where any thing is possible.
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by kross01(m): 5:30pm On Mar 07, 2013
i dnt knw if it is right to laugh at this or not. Waiting to see the replies of those that backed the demolition of the badia slums without prior notice to comment first. What goes around comes around my people

2 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
If u ..want to make money online through sport betting..in~box me
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by theripper: 5:33pm On Mar 07, 2013
I think the paid toady homosapiens should have an answer. Mayb they can explain better cuz we need answers to the germane questions raised. All the Eko Oni Baje goons and ACN stalwarts, over to you.

1 Like

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by kross01(m): 5:35pm On Mar 07, 2013
even the approvals are now being claimed to be fraudulently obtained, yet they had to come demolish the buildings days before their agreed date of meeting, lagos state gvt keeps playing chess with the people of lagos. Very few will still see anything wrong with this after all its fashola we r talking about hia, d infallible one

2 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 07, 2013
The simple truth is for any buyer to watch out and avoid those land speculators.some of these thievies may have accomplices in the land bureau office to dupe unsuspecting land buyers.
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Maxymilliano(m): 5:38pm On Mar 07, 2013
Plz, the MOD should compact the original post to make it readable for mobile users.

I got wind of this issue few days ago, and from what I heard, discussion is ongoing after a notice was served on the 'defaulters', some of the property owner claims to to have documented their property with Lagos State government and with evidence to boot, a meeting was slated for 15th of this month to iron out grey areas to reach a workable resolutions, only for government demolition agents to show up on the 5th with gun blazing and earth moving equipments to facilitate the demolition.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for press release from government officials on what brought about this current demolition when meetings has been slated for later date, only for one of the party (the government) to enforce a resolution which has not been agreed upon.

1 Like

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
kross_01: even the approvals are now being claimed to be fraudulently obtained, yet they had to come demolish the buildings days before their agreed date of meeting, lagos state gvt keeps playing chess with the people of lagos. Very few will still see anything wrong with this after all its fashola we r talking about hia, d infallible one

The Fashola guy is now turning into a barbarian...I don't blame him, his sister is also a nuisance/vandal on nl...

3 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 07, 2013
~Bluetooth:

The simple truth is for any buyer to watch out and avoid those land speculators.some of these thievies may have accomplices in the land bureau office to dupe unsuspecting land buyers.

However, why can't they go through the due process I just hope the lands in question don't belong to the natives of the area...
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by colombiana: 5:50pm On Mar 07, 2013
Please can someone pls tel me what wrong wit fashola? Last time he said lagos economy is better than ghana and uk. How can an economy be good wen power supply is 20percent and the number of homeless ple is sumtin else. Forgetin so soon that most of his recent development mostly affect lagosians and companies that make the economy including the banks and oil companies are owned by non lagosians pls sumone shud send him the characteristics of a good leader and features of a good economy does he ever think dat most lagosians are in other states and are treated fairly. The step towards a mega city doest hapen in a day for christ sake. Put down structures before rendering innocent ple homeless. Mtchewww

2 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by chinedum45(m): 5:52pm On Mar 07, 2013
I need some1 to accuse Lagos state govt and ACN of corruption. If it Was Fg that is what would hav taken over this page.
if not corruption hw come information are hoarded and fake documents given?
corruption is everywhere stop blaming GEJ always

2 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by texazzpete(m): 5:59pm On Mar 07, 2013
Typical Fashola Government. Scehdule a meeting for March 15th and then demolish houses on March 5th. Classic!

The Lagos State Government should have headed to court or used an agency to investigate the veracity of the documents held by the landlords. If the Govt claims they were fraudulently obtained from Government officials (note: Govt officials not nameless Area Boys) why are none of these officials being prosecuted?

Eko has unfortunately Baje for these sorry Landlords cry

2 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 07, 2013
shymexx: WTF?? This nyggah has started demolishing houses in my ancestral home as well shocked

Leave Epe alone, we're already being marganilised by the subgroup that has turned Lagos state government into their birth-right...

When you were rejoicing at the other demolishing ,praising Fashola,cajoling folks ,boasting that you were from Epe and it couldn't never happen there,didn't I warn you to hold your champagne ?
Hehehehehehe
Do you remember me making reference to makoko where original riverside Lagosians were rendered homeless
Some of you think it is Igbos being showed pepper so you jump for joy
Fashola is now a niggah abi?
Rofl
Na turn by turn

7 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by YoungMoney3: 6:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
shymexx: WTF?? This nyggah has started demolishing houses in my ancestral home as well shocked

Are you not one of those f-ools that is always praising Fashola

2 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 07, 2013
Eko no ba je o grin

2 Likes

Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by vislabraye(m): 6:05pm On Mar 07, 2013
Lagos is becoming very difficult to live in, not just Lagos but Nigeria as a whole.
Did Lagos State analyse the complaints? Destroying a hundred houses is no small thing.
Re: Omonile Lawyer's Rant Regarding The Demolition Of Houses In Epe by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 07, 2013
Young Money:

Are you not one of those f-ools that always praise Fashola

Go the the other latest demolishing and read his boastings
Hehehehehe
The boy is now crying
Now he knows how the traders at Ladipo feel

Eko Ile will be here posting Eko oni baje and fighting with people over Fashola only to return home and find his mom and dad homeless

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Number Of Block From 1 Trip Of Sand / ROOFING: REPLICA OF YOUR PROJECT (Cost & Sqm Of Stone Coated Roof Tile Used). / Massive Fire In Residential Lagos Neighbourhood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.