Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,416 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle (3677 Views)

Car Vibrates At Above 100 Km/ph / My Car Vibrates When Engine Is Idling / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 1:03am On Mar 08, 2013
97 Mazda 626
4 cyl. 1.8 engine
Manual drive
The engine vibrate at Idle, Idling speed is about 650-700 rpm.
The issue started when I reconnect my thermo switch connection, before now the idle speed was at 1250 rpm.
The car fuel economy is far better than before, but the vibration is not making me feel comfortable with the car while am in traffic.
Please advice and educate me.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by sultaan(m): 1:27am On Mar 08, 2013
Take several pics inside the engine and post, also a pic of gages while engine is running and warm
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by cardoctor(m): 4:40am On Mar 08, 2013
amosfunmi: 97 Mazda 626
4 cyl. 1.8 engine
Manual drive
The engine vibrate at Idle, Idling speed is about 650-700 rpm.
The issue started when I reconnect my thermo switch connection, before now the idle speed was at 1250 rpm.
The car fuel economy is far better than before, but the vibration is not making me feel comfortable with the car while am in traffic.
Please advice and educate me.

Your thermo switch is linked to your automatic choke which in turn controls your engine idle speed (especially when engine is cold and operating in closed loop). Check to see if auto choke is functioning properly and if not, change it immediately.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 8:52pm On Mar 08, 2013
sultaan: Take several pics inside the engine and post, also a pic of gages while engine is running and warm
I am just coming from work now, will do that tomorrow morning.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 8:55pm On Mar 08, 2013
car-doctor:

Your thermo switch is linked to your automatic choke which in turn controls your engine idle speed (especially when engine is cold and operating in closed loop). Check to see if auto choke is functioning properly and if not, change it immediately.
Thank you car Doctor, when engine is cold the idle speed is little higher but when warmed that when the vibration happens.
please,how do I identify the Auto choke and where is it located?
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by Nobody: 3:22am On Mar 09, 2013
Also do a visual check of your engine mounting, if possible.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by layday2005: 7:30pm On Mar 10, 2013
The slow running of the car is to much. Adjust it. it happened to my car and i has stopped.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 9:51pm On Mar 12, 2013
layday2005: The slow running of the car is to much. Adjust it. it happened to my car and i has stopped.
Thanks for the reply, can I do it myself or take it to mechanic?
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by sultaan(m): 2:35am On Mar 13, 2013
Do not adjust the slow, have them clean the throttle body, but post the pics first
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 11:45pm On Mar 15, 2013
sultaan: Do not adjust the slow, have them clean the throttle body, but post the pics first
Thank you sultan, here are the pics

Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 3:21pm On Mar 16, 2013
Sultan, Ikenna, sienna gurus here, please help me out.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 12:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
Still waiting for your advice.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by sultaan(m): 5:50pm On Mar 17, 2013
I have looked at your pics, everything seems ok, its all connected and temp is good, I just need you to confirm one information I can't read the label on the spark plug wires proper, can you please check if they wrote mazda on the wire and the year/number written after the mazda (just want to know if its factory)

After you post what is written on it you may just have to check on all the black hoses that goes from the air intake(air filter/duct) to engine and have mechanic clean the throttle body(the part with a butterfly valve they call "nozzle")

A scan will also confirm what I suspect, basically you may be running on 3 cylinders
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 9:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
sultaan: I have looked at your pics, everything seems ok, its all connected and temp is good, I just need you to confirm one information I can't read the label on the spark plug wires proper, can you please check if they wrote mazda on the wire and the year/number written after the mazda (just want to know if its factory)

After you post what is written on it you may just have to check on all the black hoses that goes from the air intake(air filter/duct) to engine and have mechanic clean the throttle body(the part with a butterfly valve they call "nozzle"wink

A scan will also confirm what I suspect, basically you may be running on 3 cylinders
Thank you sultan, would do that tomorrow morning, however< I wish to let you know that the problem started when I reconnect the therrmo switch.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by sultaan(m): 2:31am On Mar 18, 2013
Everything that should be connected should stay connected, disconnecting it covers up your problem, reconnecting will let engine run normal so you'll see if you have issues with the car(your high idle was covering the misfire)

But you should have a check engine light on if its a misfire which is why I said you should check vacuum for leaks first the clean throttle body.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 1:36pm On Mar 18, 2013
Thank you Sultan, I appreciate your efforts and concern.
The plug wire I don't think its factory fitted, they are black in colour and the Inscription on it is [b]R-16-AIPS [/b]and the numbering from ignition cover.
I attempt to adjust from the idle adjustment screw and having listen very well its as if there is a air leak some where as I tend to increase the idle and the rev is not increasing.
I also got to know that, that was not the right way of doing it, that the best way is to jump STI(TEN) and GND on the diagnosis port before the adjustment can be effected, How true is that?
Do you stay in Lagos, can you refer me to a mechanic or where I can have the scan done.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 12:11am On Mar 21, 2013
@ Sultan waiting to read from you. Gurus here please help me out.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by Funjay(m): 1:57pm On Mar 21, 2013
layday2005: The slow running of the car is to much. Adjust it. it happened to my car and i has stopped.
he

This may be true except the auto gurus have a different opinion, thats why we are still waiting for more contributions from our respected gurus.
Based on the advise i got here, recently changed bak to the thermostat option (rewired my fan to only start working wen the engine temp is almost at halfway or when the A/C is on) and i noticed a slight vibration that wasnt their before. On motion, i noticed that the car is no longer picking as b4 (requires me to step more on the gas b4 it gains the normal speed).

I am considering goin to my mech this weekend to increase my gas (acceleration) power, please let me know if i should go ahead.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by 9icetoo(m): 5:09pm On Mar 21, 2013
Seems likely you are running on three cylinders instead of four. Check ur plugs, coils and plug wires. Check ur fuel lines too (fuel filter) and clean out your air filter.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by sultaan(m): 10:06am On Mar 22, 2013
The easiest way will be to scan first and make sure you don't have a misfire.
Imagine if you are suppose to have 4 beats but you have 3 beats at a high frequency, you might not realize you are missing a beat until you slow things down; which you did.

You can change the spark plugs and wire as part of your regular maintenance, just make sure you use the right type not just what your mechanic tells you but you do the research.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 6:11pm On Mar 23, 2013
Thanks all, I have change the plug and fuel filter, yet no difference.
I took it to a mechanic he could not help, he has to disconnect the auto choke connection
to get it stabilized but while I was driving home with AC on the engine almost stall in trafic.
when I got home, I did a check and observe he has disconnect the auto choke and I have to plug it back.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by sultaan(m): 7:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
I have no idea what auto choke is but when you change plugs check/change wires too. Look online for throttle body cleaning and idle air controller.These things get dirty and its part of maintenance to clean them.I'm recommending maintenance items.The problem you have now is usually caused by misfire, vacuum leak and bad/dirty/disconnected sensors.You have to look at how dirty the IAC/MAF.

I'm not in Nigeria so I can't recommend any mech.As far as I know you can be better than you mech if you take time to understand how it works
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by amosfunmi(m): 2:52pm On Mar 24, 2013
thank you sultan, appreciate you
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by Nikky04(f): 12:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
I had this issue, My car had exactly the same issue use to vibrate so much and would take ages to accelerate. Took it to my mechanic and he said it was a coil issue, he had it taped as a temporary measure but advised me to change the coil, which I did last weekend.

No longer have the issue, the vibration has stopped and the car accelerates well now.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by jpphilips(m): 9:17am On Mar 27, 2013
It is pretty obvious we don't have mechanics in Nigeria with the plethora of mechanical graduates we churn out daily,
Needless to say that Nigeria is a big auto repair market.
damn!! people don't really know the kinda jobs to look for.
Re: Pls I Need Advice: Car Vibrates At Idle by Ishikanda: 5:04am On Mar 28, 2013
Just change your engine seating bushings

(1) (Reply)

How I Was Disgraced By A Kia / Innoson Motors ready to roll out the new IVM Ikenga / Let's See Your Cars or Dream Cars!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.