Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,533 members, 7,958,631 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 07:07 PM

Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? (1384 Views)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Medicine/surgery(mbbs) / 2013/2014 DE For MEDICINE & SURGERY / Business Management Versus Business Law Which Holds Better Prospects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 6:15am On Mar 10, 2013
As i was watching tv yesterday, i saw some secondary school students debating on which one is the best and which one contributes more to society between medicine&surgery and law. in my own view i think medical doctor contributes more to society than lawyer, which means medicine&surgery is the best. what is your own view on the issue?
Re: Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? by JoannaSedley(f): 1:01pm On Mar 10, 2013
Both of them.
Until you fall sick, you'll appreciate the doctor.
Until you're accused wrongly in court, you'll appreciate the lawyer.
Re: Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? by Empex(m): 2:56pm On Mar 10, 2013
Your question sounds too abridged for, which one is better? In what terms do you mean? Is it contributing to the society at large?
Then I will say both. People have lived in this world longer and never has there being more humans in the world as there are today, this is as a result of advances in medicine. Epidemics like like small pox, bubonic plague, polio etc have being brought to near extinction if not eradicated. Let's not even talk about malaria. Law has brought order and justice to humanity, the difference between us and animal is that we are govern and live under laws. Contemporary civilisation is pivoted by law and maintenance of sound jurisprudence.

Is it by financial gains or returns?
Both.
In occidental climes, professionals in these two professions are among the highest earners?

But unfortunately, in nigeria, the answer to these two is "none"
People still die of malaria in their thousands, maternal mortality rate is among the highest in the world, there are some surgeries that cannot be performed within the borders of nigeria.
The Nigerian legal system is bastardized, terrorist are released on bail, while many a people suspect of lesser crimes rot away in jail without trial. People steal billions and are asked by a judge to pay less than a million. There are laws but the custodians of the law do not bring law and order, the poor suffer and the rich escape with impunity.

Financial returns in Nigeria for both in Nigeria is poor, you can tell from the incessant strike embarked upon by NMA.
Plus, I have seen lawyers being paid N25,000 after over six years of studies.

But in all, doctors in Nigeria earn far more than lawyers on the AVERAGE.

1 Like

Re: Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? by phtemie(m): 3:31pm On Mar 10, 2013
Both courses are good..
but in a typical nigerian situation,an average doctor earns more and stand quick employment opportunity than his lawyer counterpart....but,it doesn't mean docotors are richer than lawyers...av seen a lawyer dat earns 30k and d one dat ends 500k....as a matter of fact,most of d lawyers i have around me are quite rich and doing gr8..
Re: Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? by phtemie(m): 3:33pm On Mar 10, 2013
Joanna Sedley: Both of them.
Until you fall sick, you'll appreciate the doctor.
Until you're accused wrongly in court, you'll appreciate the lawyer.
True
Re: Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 10, 2013
Moderator front page please.
Re: Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 10, 2013
Moderator please push this to the front page let people contribute.
Re: Medicine&surgery Vs Law Which One Is Better? by Nobody: 6:42am On Mar 11, 2013
Take this to the Front page moderator let people contribute

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Square Root Of 69? / ASUU To Now Hold NEC Meeting Friday, Says Iyayi's Burial Top Priority / ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.