Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,467 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction (1367 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Governor Lamido Appeals To ASUU To End Strike / ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by TeenageMoney(m): 8:34am On Nov 26, 2013
THE Academic Staff Union of Nigerian Universities (ASUU) is planning to end the ongoing five-month strike mid-January next year, a faction of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) chapter alleged on Monday.

The faction, however, insisted that the closure of Nigerian universities by the lecturers must end this week.

Leader of the faction, Dr Adeyemi Daramola, a lecturer in the Department of English, Faculty of Arts accused the body of assuming oracular posture on the strike.

According to him, “The position of ASUU has not demonstrated original function of its rules which says “reports on agreement from the union universities’ branches should be collated and announced”.

“ASUU-NEC has assumed an oracular posture by its very poor communication to members, government and the Nigerian society.

“The target of ASUU is to call off the strike by mid-January of 2014 which is no longer a rumour in the domain of its members. We have postponed other meetings of this pressure version of UNILAG
ASUU to discuss issues and shall call a new one if ASUU-NEC fails to suspend the strike before the end off the week.

“If necessary, we shall take all legitimate steps to ensure that normalcy is restored to all the Nigerian universities as soon as possible, as the group would not accept the rumour of a resumption date fixed for January, 2014. About two universities’ academic calendar have been wasted on strike, including lecturers’ four months salaries lost.”

Controversies have continued to trail the participation of UNILAG’s chapter of the union, with the new faction allegedly creating uproar at the congress held in the institution yesterday.

Another leader of the anti-strike faction, Dr Michael Ogbeide of the History Department told the Nigerian Tribune on phone that “the ASUU strike had become nonsense and must be stopped. A lot of our members also believe so but are afraid to speak out.”

He assured that the faction would keep pressurising the leadership until the strike is called off.

When asked the next line of action if UNILAG ASUU leadership did not accede to the faction’s request, he said “as an historian, in war, you don’t divulge your strategy before hand.”

Early on Monday morning, there were rumours that the Unilag ASUU had decided to withdraw from the strike, but this was debunked by some members of the union, though it was confirmed that there was a split among the members, with Daramola’s faction reportedly kicking against the institution’s continued participation in the strike.

According to a source who pleaded anonymity, the congress actually turned out disorganised and divided, as some members, during the meeting began to protest, demanding UNILAG’s withdrawal from the strike.

It was learnt that after the meeting became rowdy, the two factions later held separate meetings, with both reportedly resolving to maintain their postures.

The main body insisted that the strike would be on until grey areas are sorted out.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/lead-stories/item/27193-ASUU-plans-to-end-strike-jan-2014-%E2%80%94unilag-faction-%E2%80%A2insists-strike-must-end-this-week-%E2%80%A2minister-condemns-new-conditions-for-suspension-of-strike.html

http://www.schoolsonpoint.com/2013/11/ASUU-plans-to-end-strike-jan-2014.html
Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by CLIQBOY(m): 8:36am On Nov 26, 2013
ok
Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by wasak(m): 8:41am On Nov 26, 2013
no wonder they are busy organizing secret meetings and making new demands! where is prof Femi?
when I say. that ASUU is selfish and Machiavellian.... I know what I'm saying. .
old fools
https://www.nairaland.com/1531617/5-common-beliefs-among-nigerians
Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by Dhortunn(m): 9:46am On Nov 26, 2013
Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 26, 2013
Unilag pls continue to pressurize dem, my sch (uniport) should better wakeup. If not.......
I comment my reserve
Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by Haryoryhemie(f): 2:41pm On Nov 26, 2013
Thank God there is nw a division among them(ASUU)
Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by otokx(m): 3:21pm On Nov 26, 2013
Haryoryhemie: Thank God there is nw a division among them(ASUU)

All na wash; none of the dissenting lecturers if paid their 5 months salary will return it back.
Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 26, 2013
Unilag pls continue to pressurize dem, my sch (uniport) should better wakeup. If not.......
I comment my reserve sad

Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by Hearme(m): 6:39pm On Nov 26, 2013
The two lecturers are betrayals'. It was learnt that Dr. Daramola called ASUU NEC stupid for refusing to hold NEC meeting because of the death of Prof. Iyayi. He has no regard for life and I think he holds no principle when it comes to unionism. It was also learnt that he was booed out of the congress, when he refused to apologize to Congress members. It's a big propaganda that ASUU wants to end the strike in January. We all know that the Labor Minister said that ASUU will talk to its members and get back to government. The meeting has been scheduled for today. ASUU does not want a situation in which they will be told the permanent sec, who signed the current letter ob implementation modality does not know his right from his left.
Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by efizee: 7:35pm On Nov 26, 2013
Hearme: The two lecturers are betrayals'. It was learnt that Dr. Daramola called ASUU NEC stupid for refusing to hold NEC meeting because of the death of Prof. Iyayi. He has no regard for life and I think he holds no principle when it comes to unionism. It was also learnt that he was booed out of the congress, when he refused to apologize to Congress members. It's a big propaganda that ASUU wants to end the strike in January. We all know that the Labor Minister said that ASUU will talk to its members and get back to government. The meeting has been scheduled for today. ASUU does not want a situation in which they will be told the permanent sec, who signed the current letter ob implementation modality does not know his right from his left.

Abeg shut up ur mouth...regard for life ni regard for life kor....was iyayi not against the suspension of the ongoing strike..as for me it was God who silenced him for good...contest the fact and join him in ur early grave
Re: ASUU Plans To End Strike Jan 2014 —UNILAG Faction by J0nyb0y(m): 7:15am On Nov 30, 2013
let ol of them juz b decieving themselvs

(1) (Reply)

Please Do Uniport Still Offer Medicine And Surgery? / buy jamb CBT practice software traning for as low as 1k / Noun Criminology Students 100level- Second Semester .join Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.