Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,482 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader (1404 Views)

We Haven’t Recovered From Fighting Obasanjo, PDP Laments / Crisis: Lagos Threatens To Shut Ladipo Market. / PDP Laments Obasanjo’s Exit, Says Ex-president Rejected Pleas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by NegroNtns(m): 9:44am On Mar 10, 2013
By  Ebun SessouDesmond Eyika was one of the traders in Ladipo Auto Spare Parts Market whose shops were demolished by the officials of Lagos State Government.The demolition exercise according to him was carried out on Monday this week, a week after the market was closed down by the same government on the ground that the market was unclean.  As at the time of this report, over six hundred shops have been destroyed and more than 5,000 people have been rendered jobless in the processes.

Eyika who wouldn’t leave any stone unturned alleged that such act was a move to undo  the Igbos in Lagos.  For him, it is hatred and perpetual evil done on the Igbos who have come to Lagos to transact their businesses.

Lamenting  his loss, he said, “You can see that majority of traders in this market are Igbos, just a few are from other tribes. First, it was an unscheduled visit by Governor Babatunde Fashola on Saturday during  Sanitation exercise. He told us that the market would be closed due to violation of environmental law, and that the same will not be opened until it is properly cleaned.The market was shut down for one week and while we were praying and hoping that it would be re-opened on Monday the following week, the next thing we saw was hundreds of Police Officers chasing people away and stopping  their entrance to the market.“After a while, our Chairman told us that we have been instructed to pack our properties and quit the shops because some shops would be pulled down. And while, we were trying to sort out ourselves, the  next thing I saw was a bulldozer. We were not allowed to pack our goods”.

Asked if there was notice prior to the demolition exercise, he said, “There was no notice whatsoever. We were caught unaware. They said, Fashola said the canal was too dirty. Some people said that, the  Governor demanded us to move our shops 20 meters away from the canal.  It is unfortunate the people have been exposed to untold hardship without anyone thinking of the alternative way of helping them.“I am already stranded, there is nowhere to go, nowhere is secured and I don’t if Gov. Fashola is taking the right step. As it is now, I am not sure if I will be able to secure all my goods. They have taken away my only source of livelihood. This government cannot provide jobs for people but  it can only destroy people’s businesses”.

Another trader who does not want his name mentioned  said, “ There is a group of  individuals who own some portions of land in Ladipo,  a place called Bakassi. The group had connived with the State government to destroy all the shops in Ladipo.“Last year, this partilacular group stormd the market and pulled down some portions without checking their action. After some months, they dragged some shop owners to court and their action was backed up by law. And that is why we feel there are more riddles  in this whole exercise than  what the people know.  I believe the action has political undertones because all the shops in the market were built by Mushin local government except  some few ones that  individuals built”.An apprentice who joined his brother some months ago in Ladipo market lamented that  the exercise was only carried out by the State government to wreak them. “These people want me to go back to square one and I reject that”.Lamenting the extent of damage the exercise has caused his family, another apprentice said, “My sister, you can see me. I have family at home. My two children are in school and I have not paid their school fees because there is no money  for that”.

Another cut in, “Go and tell Fashola say, we dey vex, make e no bi say, we come Lagos, we go dey stranded because of one government wey no get human face. If dey wan  send us back to we village, make dem tell us instead of all these rubbish.Speaking to Saturday Vanguard, Mr Murry, said, “We can no longer feed our families. I have  four children and there are others: my wife, mother, siblings and relatives. They have been affected with this event. I don’t have money for my rent because it has expired. Even the boys working with me have been rendered jobless. “Getting money these days is like going to hell. I have about two shops, one has been demolished. My only hope is  the second shop.

“The situation now  is that we are not selling our goods and that is why we are running at loss. We are all hungry. We want our father, Governor Fashola  to help us. We want our business back.  We are not against Gov Fashola, but the action is cruel”, he said.Another trader who shed more light on the issue said, “The order came from Fashola that the market should be closed.  He said some shops were very close to the canal and that we should create a space of about 20 meters away from the canal on both sides and that was what has happened.”Asked if there was notice given to the people before the exercise took place, he said,

“We were served  notice and given instruction on how to go about it but due to human nature, there was no respionse until the officers of LagosState government brought their bulldozer. The market was too congested but people were reluctant to adhere to the order until the government forced its way in.  Right now, we are all bleeding because all of  our goods worth several millions of naira have been destroyed.  Some people sold their goods on auction so that they will not be totally stranded.  As good as the exercise can be, the fact remains that we have been shattered. It is just like a pregnant woman who wants to give birth in the labour room.  There is a contraction within but after the birth, she will rejoice. We believe that after this action, we will rejoice,” he added.Asked if he is optimistc of  having his shop back in Ladipo market, he said, “I don’t know for now. I need to go and have a rethink to know the next line of action. Now, the brain is still occupied, the heart is still bleeding. 

We are all hungry and starving and that is why you see people voilating laws. Those who rented the place to us have absconded leaving us to bear the brunt alone.“They have exposed us to untold hardship because of their greed.This is a wake -up call for Lagosians to know that this present administration in LagosState meant every bit of its promise. I can recall that during the first tenure of Gov Fashola’s administration, he had warned that the development in Lagos State (Megacity phenomenon) is initiated for the elites and that those who cannot afford such life can go back to their villages to farm, I think, this is the time”, he concluded.
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by seanet01: 10:07am On Mar 10, 2013
Fashola baba i love you.
We must send filthy people back to their village
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by Boss13: 11:23am On Mar 10, 2013
seanet01: Fashola baba i love you.

Not a good comment.
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by Duru1(m): 11:49am On Mar 10, 2013
Only a bloody fool will think that a canal within a market square can remain clean from the activities in the market. Mushin local government built the market and I think Fashola should have consulted with LGA before perpetrating this inhuman action.
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by ba7man(m): 11:53am On Mar 10, 2013
They keep flooding in from their resident states and expect the Lagos state Govt to provide jobs for them?? They ought to go try this in other States and see the results.
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 10, 2013
Like I keep saying, the LASG will take this action to a logical conclusion despite all the bleating...
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 10, 2013
A car was stolen from my home at gun point. During investigation, I was made to understand that 99 percent of stolen cars are dismantled and sold as spare parts at Ladipo market. This made me lost all feelings for these auto traders. If Fasola did not get them himself, some of us, aggrieved victims of stolen vehicles at gun point would have done something about it one day. Don't ask me how?
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by dayokanu(m): 12:56pm On Mar 10, 2013
Well done fashola

Anyone who cant abide by the law should relocate back to the cave he came from

3 Likes

Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:48pm On Mar 10, 2013
seanet01: Fashola baba i love you.

What you wish for other people will surely come to you in ten folds!

In the name of the supreme God!

3 Likes

Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by FreeGlobe(f): 1:56pm On Mar 10, 2013
ba7man: They keep flooding in from their resident states and expect the Lagos state Govt to provide jobs for them?? They ought to go try this in other States and see the results.
Its like you don't think before you talk really. How many igbos has asked the Lagos state govt to provide jobs for them, more less a govt governed by a fraudulent bigot. you think we are lazy like you people. Igbos create jobs, pay tax and feed their host and you are here talking poo

1 Like

Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by dayokanu(m): 2:08pm On Mar 10, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Its like you don't think before you talk really. How many igbos has asked the Lagos state govt to provide jobs for them, more less a govt governed by a fraudulent bigot. you think we are lazy like you people. Igbos create jobs, pay tax and feed their host and you are here talking poo

Why cant you go back to your caves and create those jobs?

The most popular profesion in your region as at last check was kidnapping

4 Likes

Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by ba7man(m): 2:19pm On Mar 10, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Read the post again and see where they're complaining about the Lagos Govt not providing jobs for them. Also, when i said "They", i mean anyone from any State and not only Igbo. All what you've written doesn't aid in re-opening Ladipo though.
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by MrGarri: 2:30pm On Mar 10, 2013
Another trader who shed more light on the issue said, “The order came from Fashola that the market should be closed.  He said some shops were very close to the canal and that we should create a space of about 20 meters away from the canal on both sides and that was what has happened.”Asked if there was notice given to the people before the exercise took place, he said,

[size=18pt]“We were served  notice and given instruction on how to go about it but due to human nature, there was no response[/size] until the officers of Lagos State government brought their bulldozer.
The market was too congested but people were reluctant to adhere to the order until the government forced its way in.  Right now, we are all bleeding because all of  our goods worth several millions of naira have been destroyed.  Some people sold their goods on auction so that they will not be totally stranded.

Going through the highlighted part above shows how irresponsible some of these traders are....

They got what they deserved!!

cool

4 Likes

Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by geeez: 2:37pm On Mar 10, 2013
Okay now that they claim that they make N100bn daily, shall we tax the pigs accordingly!?

1 Like

Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by NegroNtns(m): 4:30pm On Mar 10, 2013
Okoli, leade of Ladipo Market was locked up for armed robbery last year.

The factional leader of Aguiyi-Ironsi International Market also known as Ladipo Market, Mushin, Lagos, southwest Nigeria, Jonathan Okoli has been arraigned before an Ebute Metta Magistrate's Court in Lagos charged with armed robbery.The police at State Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, Panti, Yaba, Lagos had arrested and investigated Okoli for his alleged involvement in terrorism in the state.

Thereafter, a seven-count charge of terrorism, illegal possession of arms, attempted murder and extortion was preferred against him.According to the officer in charge, OC Legal of the court, Chukwu Agwu, the offences Okoli allegedly committed are contrary to Sections 409, 410, 51 and 166 of the Criminal Code Laws of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2011.His plea was not taken.

The presiding magistrate, Mrs. M. O. Olajuwon ordered that the case file be duplicated and sent to the office of Director of Public Prosecution, DPP for advice.She also ordered that the defendant be remanded in prison custody while the matter was adjourned till 3 December, 2012 for mention.Sources close to the police informed P.M.NEWS that Okoli's arrest and subsequent arraignment was sequel to his alleged role in Ladipo Market crises. 

He was alleged to have imported arms such as guns, machetes and hired thugs popularly known as 'Bakassi Boys' from southeast Nigeria to terrorise traders and residents of Papa Ajao, Mushin and its environs.Okoli, 49, from Ndiowu in Anambra State, southeast Nigeria, was the leader of Ladipo Market.

But the crises rocking the market started about five years ago when his tenure ended and he refused to conduct election or vacate his seat.The traders became divided and many factions emerged in the leadership of the market. A faction went to court and secured judgement against Okoli, yet he remained adamant.Instead of obeying a court order and bowing to the popular wish of the traders to conduct elections, he allegedly brought thugs from the southeast to unleash terror on the traders.The thugs chased out his opponents from the market. Since last year traders illegally ejected from the market were not allowed to return.

The developer, Paramo Development Venture was also attacked and chased out of the market.Chairman, Mushin Local government, Mr. Babatunde Adepitan who was on a truce mission to the market was also attacked by thugs. But Okoli denied having a hand in the attacks.The Lagos State House of Assembly intervened in the crises and invited the warring factions to the floor of the House at Alausa, Ikeja where the Assembly advised Okoli to step aside. He snubbed the legislators.Similarly, efforts by the Lagos State government through the Ministry of Environment to bring peace to the market was rebuffed by Okoli.

reported by--Cyriacus Izuekwe
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by MrGarri: 4:54pm On Mar 10, 2013
^^

A criminal parading himself as a businessman....

1 Like

Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by babapupa: 4:55pm On Mar 10, 2013
It is very obvious that this market needs more than a shut down, it needs a thorough scrub down from top to bottom from criminal elements to dangerous weapons because this market in its present form looks more like major security challenge and threat to the society.

1 Like

Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by seanet02: 6:13pm On Mar 10, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

What you wish for other people will surely come to you in ten folds!

In the name of the supreme God!
am not filthy like your progenitor
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by seanet02: 6:17pm On Mar 10, 2013
Boss13:

Not a good comment.
it is a nice statement.
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 10, 2013
I have a feeling that most of the arms and ammno by the car snatchers in Lagos and environs are warehouse at the Ladipo spare parts markets.
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by T8ksy(m): 6:51pm On Mar 10, 2013
Negro_Ntns: Okoli, leade of Ladipo Market was locked up for armed robbery last year.

The factional leader of Aguiyi-Ironsi International Market also known as Ladipo Market, Mushin, Lagos, southwest Nigeria, Jonathan Okoli has been arraigned before an Ebute Metta Magistrate's Court in Lagos charged with armed robbery.The police at State Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, Panti, Yaba, Lagos had arrested and investigated Okoli for his alleged involvement in terrorism in the state.

Thereafter, a seven-count charge of terrorism, illegal possession of arms, attempted murder and extortion was preferred against him.According to the officer in charge, OC Legal of the court, Chukwu Agwu, the offences Okoli allegedly committed are contrary to Sections 409, 410, 51 and 166 of the Criminal Code Laws of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2011.His plea was not taken.

The presiding magistrate, Mrs. M. O. Olajuwon ordered that the case file be duplicated and sent to the office of Director of Public Prosecution, DPP for advice.She also ordered that the defendant be remanded in prison custody while the matter was adjourned till 3 December, 2012 for mention.Sources close to the police informed P.M.NEWS that Okoli's arrest and subsequent arraignment was sequel to his alleged role in Ladipo Market crises. 

He was alleged to have imported arms such as guns, machetes and hired thugs popularly known as 'Bakassi Boys' from southeast Nigeria to terrorise traders and residents of Papa Ajao, Mushin and its environs.Okoli, 49, from Ndiowu in Anambra State, southeast Nigeria, was the leader of Ladipo Market.

But the crises rocking the market started about five years ago when his tenure ended and he refused to conduct election or vacate his seat.The traders became divided and many factions emerged in the leadership of the market. A faction went to court and secured judgement against Okoli, yet he remained adamant.Instead of obeying a court order and bowing to the popular wish of the traders to conduct elections, he allegedly brought thugs from the southeast to unleash terror on the traders.The thugs chased out his opponents from the market. Since last year traders illegally ejected from the market were not allowed to return.

The developer, Paramo Development Venture was also attacked and chased out of the market.Chairman, Mushin Local government, Mr. Babatunde Adepitan who was on a truce mission to the market was also attacked by thugs. But Okoli denied having a hand in the attacks.The Lagos State House of Assembly intervened in the crises and invited the warring factions to the floor of the House at Alausa, Ikeja where the Assembly advised Okoli to step aside. He snubbed the legislators.Similarly, efforts by the Lagos State government through the Ministry of Environment to bring peace to the market was rebuffed by Okoli.

reported by--Cyriacus Izuekwe

Just another typical ibo success story................nothing new here.
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by ikeyman00(m): 6:55pm On Mar 10, 2013
@@@

the bitterness and bad belle of dem dem lipsrsealed

its in their gene
Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by dayokanu(m): 6:55pm On Mar 10, 2013
These people and crime are inseparable

1 Like

Re: Our Losses, Our Woes.........laments Ladipo Trader by kettykings: 7:30pm On Mar 10, 2013
Igbos did not learn any lesson from the Last Civil war. a Belated Good Morning to the Spare part Dealers and Papilo who was duped of a whopping N1.4B , why do Igbos make same mistake over and over again . Igbos need to learn from the Jews , take the losses in good faith and put on your thinking Caps. Good morning Lagos based igbo business men

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Facts Emerge Jonathan Is Secretely Sponsoring Boko Haram / Beyoncé And Not Boko Haram Is The Cause Of Nduka Obaigbena's Financial Crisis / EXPOSED! How President Jonathan Puts Money In Your Pocket!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.