Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,466 members, 7,826,773 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 (12320 Views)

Buhari’s List Not Worth The Wait, He Should Have Submitted On May 29 – Odumakin / Why I Dropped Buhari For Jonathan — Odumakin. / President Jonathan's New Year Suprise For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Maxymilliano(m): 2:44pm On Mar 10, 2013
MEET DR. JOSEPHINE ODUMAKIN: RECIPIENT, 2013 U.S WOMAN OF COURAGE AWARD

Congratulation to one of our own, Dr. Josephine Obiajulu Odumakin who was one of the recipients of the 2013 Woman of Courage Award in the United States. The Award was presented to her by U.S Secretary of State, John Kerry and First Lady Michelle Obama.

Over the past twenty years, Dr. Josephine Odumakin has handled over 2,000 cases of violations of women’s rights, including cases of extra judicial practices committed by government security agencies against women.

These cases have included violations of women’s rights including extra judicial killings of women by the police or their spouses, assault of women by law enforcement personnel for any pretext as well as deaths of children and women through negligence on the part of school or hospital authorities.

Dr. Odumakin leads almost every protest, march, lecture or workshop aimed at encouraging the rule of law and governing justly and democratically. Her advocacy led her to be arrested and detained seventeen times during the dictatorship of General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida’s regime.

Dr. Odumakin is currently the Executive Director of the Institute of Human Rights and Democratic Studies; President of Women Arise for Change Initiative; Chairman, Task Force of the Citizen Forum; Spokesperson, Coalition of Civil Society Organizations; and President, Centre for Participatory Democracy.

Established in 2007, the annual Secretary of State's International Women of Courage Award honors women around the globe who have exemplified exceptional courage and leadership in advocating for human rights, women’s equality, and social progress, often at great personal risk. This is the only Department of State award that pays tribute to emerging women leaders worldwide.

Dr. Josephine Odumakin is an inspiration to many young women, we must continue to let the world know that there are still Nigerians out there who are honest and hardworking.

Other recipients of the award are Malalai Bahaduri, First Sergeant, Afghan National Interdiction Unit (Afghanistan); Samira Ibrahim, Coordinator, Know Your Rights (Egypt); Julieta Castellanos, Rector, National Autonomous University of Honduras (Honduras); and Elena Milashina,journalist, human rights activist (Russia).

Others include Fartuun Adan, Executive Director, Elman Peace and Human Rights Centre (Somalia); Tsering Woeser (Wei Se), Tibetan author, poet, blogger (China); Razan Zeitunah, human rights lawyer and founder, Local Coordination Committees (Syria); Ta Phong Tan, blogger (Vietnam); and Nirbhaya “Fearless,” champion for justice (India).

http://www.hopefornigeriaonline.com/dr-josephine-obiajulu-odumakins-day-with-michele-obama-in-pictures/

10 Likes

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by cescadove: 3:15pm On Mar 10, 2013
I KNOW THIS AMAZON WILL MAKE A BETTER PRESIDENT ! CONGRATS , THE HONOUR IS WELL DESERVED .

5 Likes

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 10, 2013
Nairalanders

How many times I call una?

See better topic to comment O.
But for wia? You won't see dia brakelight.

Since it is not Tonto Dike getting some D-U-MB entertainment award.

Offcourse, MOD sef go get Muscle Pull for eye not to carry this topic go frontpage.
It is well.
Madam Joe! You are highly carried.

12 Likes

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by 4reigningqueen: 3:31pm On Mar 10, 2013
I was really proud and motivated when pastor Tunde Bakare broke the news today in church.
Kudos to you ma.

3 Likes

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by ifyalways(f): 3:49pm On Mar 10, 2013
Well deserved. Congratulations, madam.

1 Like

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Ufeolorun(m): 3:49pm On Mar 10, 2013
Congrats,you deserver it.
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Maxymilliano(m): 3:53pm On Mar 10, 2013
My earlier commendation still suffice here

Maxymilliano: Congratulations Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin for the recognition and honor bestowed on you by the American government...

Footprints on the sand of times are not made by sitting down, a worthy amazon you truly are...

Congrat once again.
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by OAM4J: 8:28pm On Mar 10, 2013
Congratulations. Well deserved!
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Roland17(m): 8:30pm On Mar 10, 2013
We do not appreciate our things.... we despise them especially when they say the truth.

1 Like

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by mosquitoNet(m): 8:31pm On Mar 10, 2013
Congratulations! First to comment, dancing and singing michael jackson's bad *yeah u knw I'm baad, I'm baad, u knw me, u knw me 2x* cool
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 10, 2013
I am really proud of this woman!
I remember seeing her at the forefront during the fuel subsidy rally!
More power to your elbow, ma'am.
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Nobody: 8:34pm On Mar 10, 2013
Congrats to Odumakin for living a truly exemplary life.
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by honeric01(m): 8:35pm On Mar 10, 2013
finally! Even though i don't fancy your voice but your message is valued. Congratulations to you.
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by realitychick: 8:36pm On Mar 10, 2013
She s been on this for the past Twenty years,,,this is being DEDICATED and COMMITTED!!!
More kudos to you, for your selfless service.
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Koonbey1: 8:38pm On Mar 10, 2013
All I can say is ...Well Done.
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 10, 2013
Congrats to this amazon...
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by mosquitoNet(m): 8:42pm On Mar 10, 2013
What about madam, widow, first lady, perm sec patience ebelebebo jonathandull? What has she won?undecided
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by dridowu: 8:46pm On Mar 10, 2013
So Proud of her
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by MrGarri: 8:47pm On Mar 10, 2013
Congrats Madam...

While sensible ladies are winning awards because of their fight for Good governance, justice and equity a Garrulous Lady is‎​ somewhere squeezing her husband's balls in order to get a 4 Billion Naira Mission House...

angry angry

12 Likes

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by BabaOlowo: 8:48pm On Mar 10, 2013
Congrats Joe for a well deserved honour!
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Stegomiah: 8:48pm On Mar 10, 2013
I jst love dis lady, a human right activist and a fighter. She truly deserves d award
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by taharqa: 8:52pm On Mar 10, 2013
Congratulations, Ma. Like I hv always maintaind here, she is one of d very few REAL deals standing, in d face of d many Emergency ones today. Consistent and truly principled fighter... Very, very well deservd
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 10, 2013
mosquitoNet: Congratulations! First to comment, dancing and singing michael jackson's bad *yeah u knw I'm baad, I'm baad, u knw me, u knw me 2x* cool

You should be singing Mukaila Ajasin's "I'm wrong,I'm wrong.You know it"

2 Likes

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Enoquin(f): 8:58pm On Mar 10, 2013
An award well deserved!
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 10, 2013
If a woman could be given a Nobel Peace prize for planting trees in Kenya, why not this consistent woman of substance?

Over the past twenty years, Dr. Josephine Odumakin has handled over 2,000 cases of violations of women’s rights, including cases of extrajudicial practices committed by government security agencies against women. These cases have included violations of women’s rights including extrajudicial killings of women by the police or their spouses, assault of women by law enforcement personnel for any pretext as well as deaths of children and women through negligence on the part of school or hospital authorities. Dr. Odumakin leads almost every protest, march, lecture or workshop aimed at encouraging the rule of law and governing justly and democratically. Her advocacy led her to be arrested and detained seventeen times during the dictatorship of General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida’s regime. Dr. Odumakin is currently the Executive Director of the Institute of Human Rights and Democratic Studies; President of Women Arise for Change Initiative; Chairman, Task Force of the Citizen Forum; Spokesperson, Coalition of Civil Society Organizations; and President, Centre for Participatory Democracy.

1 Like

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by agabaI23(m): 9:01pm On Mar 10, 2013
Congrats woman of valour. Congrats!
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by reindeer: 9:01pm On Mar 10, 2013
Okay. It takes the world recognising our heroes for us.
I hope all of you hailing this woman now will be on the side of the truth when she speaks about the clueless on in Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by femmy2010(m): 9:02pm On Mar 10, 2013
This is great.
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Gombs(m): 9:04pm On Mar 10, 2013
Wot tribe is she?...ummm...I knw she's frm my tribe,SE gan!

#CallMeTribalistIDontCare
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by femmy2010(m): 9:09pm On Mar 10, 2013
Gombs: Wot tribe is she?...ummm...I knw she's frm my tribe,SE gan!

#CallMeTribalistIDontCare

Must people attach tribal sentiments to everything?
She is proudly Nigerian,that is all that matters.

2 Likes

Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by symbianDON(m): 9:14pm On Mar 10, 2013
Mr. Garri:
Congrats Madam...

While sensible ladies are winning awards because of their fight for Good governance, justice and equity a Garrulous Lady is‎​ somewhere squeezing her husband's balls in order to get a 4 Billion Naira Mission House...

angry angry

take ya time o dis man grin grin stop exposing my first 'garrulous' lady's hidden agenda to the world......who tell you say she never win award She get international award for 'worstest' engrrish speaking ehmm ehmmm.....first rady hic..hic...lady make i tell you!!!
Re: Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013 by Fantacy1(m): 9:16pm On Mar 10, 2013
Who talk say 9ja no get figures? Good tins as wel as bad 1s hapens in 9ja. Congrats madam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Elizabeth Ndubuisi-Chukwu: Obiano Petitions FG Over Death In South Africa / Nigeria Fights Back, But Threat Of $9 Bln Penalty Looms-Reuters / Electoral Bill: National Assembly Violated 1999 Constitution - Sule Lamido

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.