Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

The Srebrenica Massacre - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Srebrenica Massacre (2846 Views)

Sheikh Zakzaky Heads To UN Human Rights Commission On Zaria Quds Day Massacre / Video Revealing The Massacre Of Chalas Made Public / It's A Massacre - Sunni Holy Warriors Massacre Shias In Iraq And Pakistan Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Srebrenica Massacre by tbaba1234: 11:46pm On Mar 10, 2013
Srebrenica massacre, slaying of more than 7,000 Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) boys and men, perpetrated by Bosnian Serb forces in Srebrenica, a town in eastern Bosnia and Herzegovina, in July 1995. In addition to the killings, more than 20,000 civilians were expelled from the area—a process known as ethnic cleansing. The massacre, which was the worst episode of mass murder within Europe since World War II, helped galvanize the West to press for a cease-fire that ended three years of warfare on Bosnia’s territory (see Bosnian conflict). However, it left deep emotional scars on survivors and created enduring obstacles to political reconciliation among Bosnia’s ethnic groups.

The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia—established before the massacre to scrutinize ongoing military conduct—concluded that the killings at Srebrenica, compounded by the mass expulsion of Bosniak civilians, amounted to genocide. It pinned principal responsibility on senior officers in the Bosnian Serb army. But the United Nations (UN) and its Western supporters also accepted a portion of the blame for having failed to protect the Bosniak men, women, and children in Srebrenica, which in 1993 the UN Security Council had formally designated a “safe area.” In a critical internal review in 1999, UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan wrote, “Through error, misjudgment and an inability to recognize the scope of the evil confronting us, we failed to do our part to help save the people of Srebrenica from the [Bosnian] Serb campaign of mass murder.” Although Serbia was not legally implicated in the massacre, in 2010 the Serbian National Assembly narrowly passed a resolution that apologized for having failed to prevent the killings.

Background

Beginning in 1992, Bosnian Serb forces targeted Srebrenica in a campaign to seize control of a block of territory in eastern Bosnia and Herzegovina. Their eventual goal was to annex this territory to the adjacent republic of Serbia (which, along with Montenegro, constituted the rump of the Yugoslav federation). To do so, they believed, required the expulsion of the territory’s Bosniak inhabitants, who opposed annexation. In March 1995 Radovan Karadžić, president of the self-declared autonomous Republika Srpska (Bosnian Serb Republic), directed his military forces to “create an unbearable situation of total insecurity with no hope of further survival or life for the inhabitants of Srebrenica.” By May a cordon of Bosnian Serb soldiers had imposed an embargo on food and other supplies that provoked most of the town’s Bosniak fighters to flee the area. In late June, after some skirmishes with the few remaining Bosniak fighters, the Bosnian Serb military command formally ordered the operation, code-named Krivaja 95, that culminated in the massacre.

The Srebrenica offensive

The offensive commenced on July 6, 1995, with Bosnian Serb forces advancing from the south and burning Bosniak homes along the way. Amid chaos and terror, thousands of civilians fled Srebrenica for the nearby village of Potočari, where a contingent of about 200 Dutch peacekeepers was stationed. Some of the Dutch surrendered, while others withdrew; none fired on the advancing Bosnian Serb forces. On July 11, Bosnian Serb military leader Ratko Mladić strolled through Srebrenica and, in a statement recorded on film by a Serb journalist, said, “We give this town to the Serb nation.…The time has come to take revenge on the Muslims.”

On the night of July 11, a column of more than 10,000 Bosniak men set off from Srebrenica through dense forest in an attempt to reach safety. Beginning the following morning, Bosnian Serb officers used UN equipment and made false promises of security to encourage the men to surrender; thousands gave themselves up or were captured, and many were subsequently executed. Other Bosniaks were forced out of Potočari that day through the use of terror, including individual murders and rapes committed by Bosnian Serb forces. The women, children, and elderly were placed aboard buses (some of which had been brought from Serbia) and driven to Bosniak-held territory. The men and boys were taken on July 12 and 13 to various holding sites, mostly in Bratunac.

Some killings occurred on the evening of July 12, but mass evacuations of mostly blindfolded Bosniak males to execution sites began in earnest on the evening of July 13. The destinations were primarily north of Srebrenica, in a 35-mile- (55-km-) long band alongside the Drina River, which marks much of Bosnia’s border with Serbia. They included a football field in Bratunac, several meadows and fields near Vlasenica and Nova Kasaba, a warehouse in Kravica, a factory in Karakaj, a school in Orahovac, a dirt road in the Cerska Valley, and a cultural centre in Pilica. The executions continued at least through July 16, when hundreds of people were reportedly shot at a state farm in the village of Branjevo. Although Bosnian Serb forces were primarily responsible for the killings, a police unit from Serbia was recorded on video participating in the execution of six Bosniaks. It was discovered later that many of the victims of the massacre had had their arms and feet bound. Many of the bodies also showed signs of mutilation.

Read more: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1697253/Srebrenica-massacre
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by tbaba1234: 11:49pm On Mar 10, 2013
Aftermath

The total number of men and boys who were slaughtered was initially a matter of some debate. Under heavy international pressure, the government of the Republika Srpska (which, after the conflict, formally became a constituent part of Bosnia and Herzegovina) issued an apology in 2004 for the “enormous crimes” in Srebrenica and acknowledged that an estimated 7,800 had perished. Although not all sources agreed with that figure, it was generally accepted that at least 7,000 people were killed, and some estimates placed the toll at more than 8,000.

The process of locating the graves and identifying the victims was complicated by a well-organized effort undertaken by Bosnian Serb forces in September and October 1995 to hide traces of the Srebrenica crimes. Soldiers used heavy tractors and backhoes to dig up mass graves and moved the disinterred remains to distant sites, many of which were later located by U.S. intelligence experts using satellite photographs. It required years of analysis by Western scientists—using laborious comparisons of soil and tissue samples, shell casings, pollen, and clothing fragments—to piece together exactly where the killings had occurred and how the bodies had been moved among an estimated 80 mass grave sites. By early 2010 the International Commission on Missing Persons, a nongovernmental organization established in 1996, had used DNA samples to identify more than 6,400 individual victims.

In an official report in 2005 the Bosnian Serb government stated that 19,473 Bosnian Serbs were implicated in the killings—hundreds of whom remained in official government posts. The UN criminal tribunal eventually indicted more than 20 people for their involvement. In 2001 it convicted Radislav Krstić, commander of the Bosnian Serb corps responsible for the Srebrenica area, of aiding and abetting genocide and murder. In 2003 Bosnian Serb intelligence officer Momir Nikolić pled guilty to committing crimes against humanity. Both Krstić and Nikolić received lengthy prison terms. In 2010 the tribunal convicted two chiefs of security for the Bosnian Serb military, Vujadin Popović and Ljubiša Beara, of genocide and sentenced them to life in prison; a third Bosnian Serb officer, Drago Nikolić, was given a 35-year sentence for abetting genocide. The trial of Karadžić, who was located and arrested in 2008, began in 2009. Mladić remained a fugitive until May 2011, when he was captured in Serbia to be extradited to The Hague for trial.

In July 2011 a Dutch appeals court ruled that the Netherlands was responsible for the deaths of three Bosniak men who, in July 1995, had been killed by Bosnian Serbs after Dutch troops had forced them out of the UN compound in Potočari. The court’s decision marked the first time that a country had been held liable for the actions of its peacekeeping forces operating under a UN mandate.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1697253/Srebrenica-massacre/294002/Aftermath
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by tbaba1234: 11:53pm On Mar 10, 2013
Hearing from the survivors of this tragedy breaks my heart. May Allah grant the dead, the most honored place in Jannah. Ameen.
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by maclatunji: 12:24am On Mar 11, 2013
Subhanallah! It is like as if we have the same thoughts. I was just thinking earlier that it would be great to create a thread on this sad event.
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by Babadeen(m): 12:39am On Mar 11, 2013
maclatunji: Subhanallah! It is like as if we have the same thoughts. I was just thinking earlier that it would be great to create a thread on this sad event.

Seriously?

I am not here to belittle such a tragedy but in the larger picture why are we reminiscing about a tragedy that happened years ago while ignoring the fresh one that happened days ago?
https://www.nairaland.com/1220883/blasphemy-riots-arson-pakistan-over

Before someone tries to shut me up with a ban. I am saddened that these Bosnian muslims were killed and slaugtered mercilessly. I am horrified and sad at any tragedy.

However, it shrieks of dishonesty to create such a thread today while ignoring the issue at hand. Why is Tbaba silent on the balsphemy burning?

2 Likes

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by vedaxcool(m): 5:59pm On Mar 11, 2013
Babadeen:

Seriously?

I am not here to belittle such a tragedy but in the larger picture why are we reminiscing about a tragedy that happened years ago while ignoring the fresh one that happened days ago?

Before someone tries to shut me up with a ban. I am saddened that these Bosnian muslims were killed and slaugtered mercilessly. I am horrified and sad at any tragedy.

However, it shrieks of dishonesty to create such a thread today while ignoring the issue at hand. Why is Tbaba silent on the balsphemy burning?

In your own words:

Babadeen:

You might want to look up the definitions of these 3 words

-straw man
-red herring
-derailing.

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by Babadeen(m): 6:01pm On Mar 11, 2013
Babadeen:

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by tiarabubu: 12:43am On Mar 12, 2013
The Srebrenica Massacre was a terrible event no doubt that snuffed the life out of 8,000 young, innocent Muslim boys and men. I understand the emotions you express on the fate of those boys. i feel saddened.

The good thing is that the US and other western powers gave resources and materials used to bring the perpetrators to justice. First, they enforced military actions to protect civilians and pounded the Serbs to submission then assisted with the expertise to bring the evidence to light. As you mentioned the highlight was the arrest and trial of Mladić for this heinous crime and the Dutch courts holding the Dutch peacekeepers responsible for the indirect deaths of innocents. Great news.

ARMENIAN GENOCIDE

Now I want to highlight the great difference in what happened between this genocide against 7,000 Muslim men and the massacre of 1,500,000 Christian Armenians in the hands of the Muslim Ottoman Turks in 1915. The story is long but I will be brief. The Armenians were uprooted from their ancestral lands in the present day Turkey and systematically murdered.

The Armenian genocide was implemented in two phases: the wholesale killing of the able-bodied male population through massacre and forced labor, and the deportation of women, children, the elderly and infirm on death marches to the Syrian Desert.

the Armenians were subject to the whims of their Turkish and Kurdish neighbors, who would regularly overtax them, subject them to brigandage and kidnapping, force them to convert to Islam, and otherwise exploit them without interference from central or local authorities Barsoumian, Hagop (1997), "The Eastern Question and the Tanzimat Era"

In addition to other legal limitations, Christians were not considered equals to Muslims: testimony against Muslims by Christians and Jews was inadmissible in courts of law; they were forbidden to carry weapons or ride atop horses; their houses could not overlook those of Muslims; and their religious practices were severely circumscribed (e.g., the ringing of church bells was strictly forbidden). Violation of these statutes could result in punishments ranging from the levying of exorbitant fines to execution. Akçam, Taner (2006), A Shameful Act: The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility, New York

The systematic massacres of the Armenians was carried out through (i) Mass burning alive - witness saw thousands burnt alive (ii) drowning - especially of thousands of women and Children thrown over board into the black sea (iii) Use of poison - drugs and gas (iv) Death Marches through the deserts (v) extermination camps (about 25 identified)

COMPARISON OF THE REACTION TO THE TWO GENOCIDES

While the Srebrenica Massacre saw expressions of deep regret for what happened, deployment of modern science to determine what actually happened and action on the part of the western powers to bring to justice those responsible even if it was their governments, the Turkish government continues to deny the Armenian massacres was a genocide despite concrete evidence to this. The Turkish Governments explanations are just plain lame:

The Republic of Turkey's formal stance is that the deaths of Armenians during the "relocation" or "deportation" cannot aptly be deemed "genocide", a position that has been supported with a plethora of diverging justifications: that the killings were not deliberate nor were governmentally orchestrated. The killings were justified because Armenians posed a Russian-sympathizing threat as a cultural group; the Armenians merely starved, or any of various characterizations recalling marauding "Armenian gangs" TURKSES Voice of Turks – The So-Called Armenian Genocide et al

Efforts by the Turkish government and its agents to quash mention of the genocide have resulted in numerous scholarly, diplomatic, political and legal controversies. Prosecutors acting on their own initiative have used Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code prohibiting "insulting Turkishness" to silence a number of prominent Turkish intellectuals who spoke of atrocities suffered by Armenians in the last days of the Ottoman Empire (most of these cases have been dismissed) Corley, Felix. "Obituary: Ayse Nur Zarakolu", Independent, February 14, 2002.

Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly Resolution, April 24, 1998
"Today we commemorate the anniversary of what has been called the first genocide of the 20th century, and we salute the memory of the Armenian victims of this crime against humanity".

So sad. So Sad.

1 Like

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by maclatunji: 8:33am On Mar 12, 2013
^Very lame Tiarabubu, you should create another thread for the Armenian Genocide. Very disappointed that you can stoop to such a level and you aren't conquering at the end too.
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by tbaba1234: 12:41pm On Mar 12, 2013
Tiaraburu had to stoop so low to start comparing tragedies... If we are to start doing that where is it going to end?? There are so many sad incidents that can be brought up. If you want to make a thread for the armenian incident then do so but do not come and start feigning sadness when your real intention is to take a cheap shot at muslims. Just disgusting!!
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by tiarabubu: 12:41pm On Mar 12, 2013
maclatunji: ^Very lame Tiarabubu, you should create another thread for the Armenian Genocide. Very disappointed that you can stoop to such a level and you aren't conquering at the end too.

Oga Maclatunji. How far? Not comfortable with the comparison huh? The world has acknowledge the atrocities against 8,000 Muslims and people responsible are facing justice. What of justice for 1,500,000 Armenian Christians? What of the hundreds of Christians whose houses were burnt in Pakistan just last week.

What about a condemnation of that present day atrocities first before whining about historical issues.

Babadeen captured it very succinctly;

Babadeen:

Seriously?

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by tiarabubu: 12:51pm On Mar 12, 2013
tbaba1234: Tiaraburu had to stoop so low to start comparing tragedies... If we are to start doing that where is it going to end?? There are so many sad incidents that can be brought up. If you want to make a thread for the armenian incident then do so but do not come and start feigning sadness when your real intention is to take a cheap shot at muslims. Just disgusting!!

Not a cheap shot. You once made an excuse for Muslim atrocities on non Muslims as Muslims venting anger on world issues. From that day I realized that to you murder of non-muslims doesn't mean much. Its just to show you that your attempts at emotional show outpouring of grief for victims is selective. Some lives are more important to you. See Babadeen's quote above.

1 Like

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by tbaba1234: 1:18pm On Mar 12, 2013
Accounts of the Armenian incident are still disputed up till today. Twice they failed at the paris peace conference to prove genocide. Whatever happened, Allah knows best.

There is no excuse for the murder of innocent people. My religion condemns it, I have always condemned it, always will. I do not support the stupidity in pakistan and I was not thinking of logicboy's thread before making this one so the two threads are totally unrelated. You should not assume you know how my mind works.

Unfortunately, you tie everything you write to your hatred of Muslims. I am not going to compare tragedies and you shouldn't too. It is distasteful.

1 Like

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by tiarabubu: 2:00pm On Mar 12, 2013
^^^^^^
The accounts are disputed because Turkey chooses to vehemently attack any and all who say that it is. Often time recalling ambassadors and threatening ties for an event so widely detailed by scholars, envoys, clergy and Turks themselves. In fact even Turkish citizen are JAILED for stating the facts of the massacre even to this day. The term means little really, cos what actually happened is known and evidence abounds. Over a million souls died from targeted killings.

My friend, I do not hate Muslims. You can't prove that. You don't know my mixed family and business background. What I dislike is you whitewashing history in favour of some Muslims and trying to paint them as victims always. And you do not condemn Muslim atrocities as you make it sound.

My stance is simple; ALL violence must be confronted and condemned. Stop this emotional guilt tripping.

Enjoy your day! cheesy
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by maclatunji: 2:10pm On Mar 12, 2013
It is really distasteful and hypocritical of her indeed. If she had truly cared about the Armenians, she would not choose to use their deaths as some sort of counterbalance for the death of Muslims. It is becoming clearer the kind of hateful content she feeds on and being a woman maker it even worse!
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by tiarabubu: 5:04pm On Mar 12, 2013
maclatunji: It is really distasteful and hypocritical of her indeed. If she had truly cared about the Armenians, she would not choose to use their deaths as some sort of counterbalance for the death of Muslims. It is becoming clearer the kind of hateful content she feeds on and being a woman maker it even worse!

Their deaths are not less important than that of the Muslims. They were humans.

It is hate that makes people oblivious or gloss over the atrocities of people they represent. It is hate for people to keep mum when other human lives are being destroyed.

Nothing a woman does makes her worse off than a man who did same. Thinking so is a an apt demonstration of your deficiencies as a man in this day and age. wink

3 Likes

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by maclatunji: 10:18pm On Mar 12, 2013
^Nope! A woman nurtures, a woman gives hope, a woman encourages peace. It is against the quintessential feminine spirit to propagate bitterness. I doubt I would want the mother of my children to seek to dilute the sanctity of life by presenting the death of millions when the death of thousands is being discussed just to try to win an argument.

It is thinking like yours that helps to make the world the disorderly place it is.

Maybe, I should give you credit. You are quite capable of sinking to the lowest depths of bitterness. Excuse me for thinking that women hold in them the potential to influence the next generation towards making the world a better place.
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 12, 2013
Um, @maclatunji, are you perchance saying that it is ok to stir up Muslim sentiment against the rest of the world but not ok for anyone to call the doer of such a thing on his wrongs? I haven't seen even a little bit of sympathy displayed by you for the victims mentioned by tiarabubu, rather it does seem as if you want to wish them away and make them of no consequence. Why exactly is that?
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by maclatunji: 11:59pm On Mar 12, 2013
Ihedinobi: Um, @maclatunji, are you perchance saying that it is ok to stir up Muslim sentiment against the rest of the world but not ok for anyone to call the doer of such a thing on his wrongs? I haven't seen even a little bit of sympathy displayed by you for the victims mentioned by tiarabubu, rather it does seem as if you want to wish them away and make them of no consequence. Why exactly is that?

This thread is not about whipping-up Muslim sentiments against the world. It is about registering an historical tragedy that happened not so long ago that people including many Muslims might not know about. People being killed unjustly anywhere in the world including the 'Armenian Genocide' is deplorable. However, context is key. My condemnation of Tiarabubu is based on her attempt to belittle the significance of the Srebrenica Massacre by bringing up the incident of the Armenians.

What Tiarabubu is doing is like going to a remembrance ceremony of any dead friend or relative and telling the people there: 'Heck! People die every day, get over it!'

What kind of reaction do you think that person would experience?
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by Nobody: 9:26am On Mar 13, 2013
maclatunji:

This thread is not about whipping-up Muslim sentiments against the world. It is about registering an historical tragedy that happened not so long ago that people including many Muslims might not know about.

It's tough to see that when the general feeling is that Muslims consider non-Muslims cannon fodder and necessary sacrifice in their war with evil at best and the very evil they fight, at worst.

People being killed unjustly anywhere in the world including the 'Armenian Genocide' is deplorable.

This is all you really needed to say, Mac.

However, context is key. My condemnation of Tiarabubu is based on her attempt to belittle the significance of the Srebrenica Massacre by bringing up the incident of the Armenians.

While I see how this feels from your point of view (in fact, I deliberately put myself in your place and almost decided to not continue responding because I felt for a moment that it really wasn't fair), I think you need to exercise the same empathy you demand. Perhaps tiarabubu is really only expressing the fears of a vast non-Muslim population who have come to associate Islam with senseless violence and who get jittery when Muslims start to spotlight violent crimes perpetrated against them because it sounds to them as if the Muslims want to justify their senseless violence.

What Tiarabubu is doing is like going to a remembrance ceremony of any dead friend or relative and telling the people there: 'Heck! People die every day, get over it!'

What kind of reaction do you think that person would experience?

Perhaps not. Perhaps instead she's saying, "no need to turn this into propaganda, remember that you're just as culpable, perhaps even more culpable than those who have hurt you." The reaction of the person in this case is to set the minds of the ones 'protesting' (if you can call tiarabubu's expression of concern that) at ease about their safety from any outburst of wrath resulting from your pain.
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by maclatunji: 9:37am On Mar 13, 2013
^LOL, so much for your feigned neutrality. It doesn't take much to expose a bigot.
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 13, 2013
maclatunji: ^LOL, so much for your feigned neutrality. It doesn't take much to expose a bigot.

Mac, I didn't 'feign' neutrality. Even though I have been dispassionate in my appraisal of this discussion. So far the only personal views I have expressed are that you may not be giving tiarabubu's perspective the right kind of attention. I don't need to 'feign' neutrality to do that, I only need to be empathetic. Now, how have I not done you and yours justice? Where is my bigotry?
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by maclatunji: 10:27am On Mar 13, 2013
^If you can't see it- too bad. Other people can and will.
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by vedaxcool(m): 10:53am On Mar 13, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Mac, I didn't 'feign' neutrality. Even though I have been dispassionate in my appraisal of this discussion. So far the only personal views I have expressed are that you may not be giving tiarabubu's perspective the right kind of attention. I don't need to 'feign' neutrality to do that, I only need to be empathetic. Now, how have I not done you and yours justice? Where is my bigotry?

In your own words when next someone starts a thread to discuss a specific topic of history it becomes justifiable TO DERAIL SUCH THREAD WITH AN ISSUE THAT HAS NO CONNECTION TO WHAT IS BEING DISCUSS and then use your lame excuse to justify such behaviour right? we know how hatred would make people justify unreasonable behaviour, if some wants to discuss an issue he can always start a thread but when you try using other peoples' suffering to lessen the death of others and save face then something is not only wrong with you but wrong with the religion you practice, I won't be surprise if Jews were commemorating the deaths of jews in the hands of Christian Nazi elements and then tirababu would come and quote to them the old testmanent where under the orders of yaweh they blighted out entire settlements and people (women children, goats and even trees) and then tirabubu would remark they should contrast the behaviour of the west and the Jews, such individual is not only ruled by hate but dwells in the spirit of it!
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by Paschal007: 7:27pm On Mar 13, 2013
^

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by vedaxcool(m): 9:21am On Mar 14, 2013
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by Paschal007: 11:46am On Mar 14, 2013
^Alright hypocritical lying old man...

Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by vedaxcool(m): 9:18am On Mar 15, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Dr. Barry I think this child is delirious:
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by BetaThings: 5:32pm On Mar 15, 2013
Ihedinobi:

It's tough to see that when the general feeling is that Muslims consider non-Muslims cannon fodder and necessary sacrifice in their war with evil at best and the very evil they fight, at worst.

Is this viewpoint justified by Iraqi war of 2003. Who was the canon fodder
Is this view supported by toppling the popular leader of Iran in 1952 and supplanting him with the Shah who proceeded to rule in a wicked dictatorship for the next quarter century?
When last did a muslim country invade another country?

Ihedinobi:
This is all you really needed to say, Mac.

You really believe that that red herring should not be pointed out!
It would have been an exemplary balancing act for her to reach to the past and tell us about the atrocities committed by Christians
For someone who does not hate Muslims, it is strange that she used (and did so in the past) stories from biased sources to back up her hostile posts against Islam

Ihedinobi:
While I see how this feels from your point of view (in fact, I deliberately put myself in your place and almost decided to not continue responding because I felt for a moment that it really wasn't fair), I think you need to exercise the same empathy you demand. Perhaps tiarabubu is really only expressing the fears of a vast non-Muslim population who have come to associate Islam with senseless violence and who get jittery when Muslims start to spotlight violent crimes perpetrated against them because it sounds to them as if the Muslims want to justify their senseless violence.

What is sensible violence? Palin calling the Iraqi invasion a task from God? Or American soldiers shooting any Iraqi who dared to come to contest the boisterous claim broadcast from public address system that that Jesus Killed Mohammed?.
Do you think this girl feels that the war in Iraq and the attendant violence was sensible
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21703819
I see a lot of threads are opened to dramatise the atrocities of Muslims. Have you considered that such are used to justify any past, [present and future violence against muslims?
Let me give you another example. Before Boko Haram/Abdulmuttallab issue, a lot of foreigners had a negative opinion of Nigeria due principally to the activities of yahoo-yahoo boys
I did not see so many people on NL condemning it. Yet when BH and Abdulmauttalab arose poeple started saying the image of the country was being tarnished, forgetting that Colin Powell and oprah Winfrey already had an opinion of Nigeria before that. Some yahoo-yahoo boys even joined in "worrying" about the image of Nigeria
My point: I am fast concluding that people like to dig up violence acts committed by Muslims (even if not done for the sake of Islam) to portray Muslims as senseless killers. People hardly point out the difference. People did not blame Christianity for Breivik's killing in Norway and I cannot ascribe violence in the SE to Christianity)
Is it that violence by non-muslims don't matter?

BTW you are a Nigerian. You can ask Muslims who converted if they were told to kill non-muslims

Ihedinobi:
Perhaps not. Perhaps instead she's saying, "no need to turn this into propaganda, remember that you're just as culpable, perhaps even more culpable than those who have hurt you."

Should I bring up Christian atrocities in the Americas, Philippines, Vietnam whenever Boko Haram strikes a Church?

Ihedinobi:
The reaction of the person in this case is to set the minds of the ones 'protesting' (if you can call tiarabubu's expression of concern that) at ease about their safety from any outburst of wrath resulting from your pain.

I get it. Whenever a Christian protests some injustice, I should look for a historical fact with which to silence him
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
^^^ You know, I didn't see a debate in this whole thing, just a story about pain inflicted on one group by another and another story of pain with roles reversed. I could see why it was done and all I tried to do was shoe why.

Muslims are the most flammable group of people in the world if the news is anything to go by. That may not be how all Muslims are but those of them that are so irritable do more than enough damage to cover the rest. This is what non-Muslims see.

For this reason, these innocuous stories of injustice perpetrated against them are worrisome when told without, if you like, context. It is to be expected that non-Muslims point out that injustice has been perpetrated against their kind too to forestall any whipping up of sentiments. And to show that the move was necessary, you have attempted to discredit the story. You have attempted to tilt the balance in such a way as to make Muslims the persecuted.

See, for instance, your challenge that I tell when last a Muslim country invaded a non-Muslim one. And that in the face of Boko Haram's perpetuation of terror with the demand that the whole of Nigeria come under Islamic rule. It only shows that you are willing to turn a blind eye to the pain you inflict on others with no intention to serve yourself the same dish.

No non-Muslim on this thread has attempted to make light of what the Muslims in the op's story suffered, but none of you is willing to attach any sort of significance to what the non-Muslims in tiarabubu's story suffered. You have even tried to discredit it. All in a bid to achieve what exactly? Fairness? I don't believe so.

However, I previously stopped responding and will do so again because I have sympathy for you. But, it is only fair that you return the favor. Both sides have suffered tremendously at each other's hands, all we non-Muslims are saying on this thread is that it need not carry on like that. Posting stories like the op could be inflammatory. However, anyone can post whatever they please, right?
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by ZhulFiqar2: 6:01pm On Mar 16, 2013
tbaba1234: Hearing from the survivors of this tragedy breaks my heart. May Allah grant the dead, the most honored place in Jannah. Ameen.

isn't this "bid'ah" too? why is your heart "breaking"? you're not to "mourn more than 3 days".isn't that the nonsense we (Shia) are told by Sunnis for commemorating Ashura?

and by the way,do salafists have heart? Sebrenica breaks your heart because Sunni salafists use it to exploit it for terrorist propaganda and hatred to sell their ideology,but Karbala and the beheading of Imam Hussein (as) does not break your heart,abi? this is called hypocrisy!!!
Re: The Srebrenica Massacre by BetaThings: 6:18pm On Mar 16, 2013
Zhul-Fiqar.:
isn't this "bid'ah" too? why is your heart "breaking"? you're not to "mourn more than 3 days".isn't that the nonsense we (Shia) are told by Sunnis for commemorating Ashura?

and by the way,do salafists have heart? Sebrenica breaks your heart because Sunni salafists use it to exploit it for terrorist propaganda and hatred to sell their ideology,but Karbala and the beheading of Imam Hussein (as) does not break your heart,abi? this is called hypocrisy!!!

See deep-seated hatred!!!!
To the Shia, only one event deserves to be remembered - the tragedy of Karbala. All the muslims killed during the time of the Prophet (PBUH) are not even mentioned. That is actually the foundation of extremism

Sunnis mourn by offering condolence, praying janazzah, giving lectures etc. I am not sure that is what has been done here.

We don't wail or beat ourselves.

It is instructive that your only post on this thread is not about the massacre of Muslims but about difference in manhaj of Muslims and Shias. I have said it several times, whenever the Nigerian state talks about Iran flooding Nigeria with arms, Shias want muslims to correct that impression. Next minute, they start attacking muslims

You guys need serious dua!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sheikh Qaradawi: Shia Are Heretics / What Is The Difference Between Islamic Terrorism And Jihad? / Israelis Oppressive Behaviour Towards The Feeble Palestinians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.