Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,435 members, 7,954,725 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:03 AM

Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns (54294 Views)

Soft Drinks Kill 184,000 Adults Every Year - Study / Is It Right To Take Drugs With Cold Water / Health Expert Warns: Any Food Eaten After 8pm Is Poison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Yobosman(m): 3:21pm On Mar 11, 2013
dokunbam: Those who ears let them hear
shocked
dokunbam: Those who ears let them hear
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Clemzy16(m): 3:21pm On Mar 11, 2013
It's rather unfortunate to know that majority of people who are guilty of this practice already know the negative effects but still prefer to take their drugs with soft drinks. Sometimes i wonder, why would anyone on his/her sane mind do a thing like that. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nobody: 3:22pm On Mar 11, 2013
Arsenate: this is not the matter of opinion. We are talking facts here. Drugs are chemical agents, soft drinks contain chemicals as well, when an appropriate medium, these chemicals might react thus neutralising the drug.

All I am driving at is, its not piosonous and in most cases, one could advice people to take these softdrinks. I 'll explain.
The stomach is basically acidic(hydrochloric) and most times needs the alkaline nature of food to maintain proper acidic levels. When food becomes irritating like in extreme sickness, soft drinks can do the job well. Most of these drinks contain dissolved sugar ( frutose or sometimes glucose). These sugar even in complex forms can still be broken down to glucos and frutose that can easily be absorbed by the stomach walls.
If the patient can't take food, the next advice is soft drinks( not all drinks are actually soft). That's why doctors advice a patient who can't eat or retain food to take carbonated drinks or other soft drinks(minerals as we know it) before injections.
It should however not be acustomed to, like I said, if you can't retain food, drink something soft for that much needed energy before taking any drugs.

Humbly
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by BBPREYEgarri: 3:23pm On Mar 11, 2013
quest003:
infact, forget dat handle, buy anoda one if u wan go buy garri for market.
Infact forget dis new one self

What is this guy saying? We are talking about good health habits here, you are talking about buying GARRI in the market? Do you use eba (baked GARRI) to take your drugs?
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Mr9iceGuy(m): 3:31pm On Mar 11, 2013
What if I use Gulder, Star Heineken, 33 or Sapele water swallow am?

TUMIC: Ilorin - A pharmacist, Busayo Idowu of the Department of Pharmacy, University of Ilorin
Teaching Hospital (UITH), warned on Saturday that taking drugs with beverages such as soft drinks could have adverse effects.
In an interview with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ilorin, Idowu said that drugs, if taken with soft drinks might affect the absorption of the drugs. The expert noted that most soft drinks were acidic, which could decrease the anti bacterial action of tetracycline as they contain
carbonates. Idowu warned further that such acidic drinks
when combined with drugs could cause adverse reaction to patients.
According to him, absorption of some drugs such as aspirin, ketoconazole and phenytoin
could be affected also when taking with acidic beverage. He added that such drugs were best absorbed at highly acidic levels when taken orally.

"Acidic beverages delay the absorption rate and action of Erythromycin”, he said. He advised that drugs should preferably be used with water as it had the properties capable of eliminating unwanted effects.
I word is enough for the wise.

NAN
http://nigeria.news24.com/National/News/Stop-taking-drugs-with-soft-drinks-expert-warns-20130310
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 11, 2013
huni_naija: I take my drugs with soft drinks all the time, although iv heard n several occasions it can slow down or destroy the function of the tablets..

From now on i will only take tablets with water, what about drinks like orange juice? Does it apply here as well ??

Sister,sorry to ask...it seems taking tablets is a daily routine to you..Are you by any means renting any room at yaba left or you just taking dem capsules/tablets as a hobby?

No vex abeg.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by jo997: 3:55pm On Mar 11, 2013
huni_naija: I take my drugs with soft drinks all the time, although iv heard n several occasions it can slow down or destroy the function of the tablets..

From now on i will only take tablets with water, what about drinks like orange juice? Does it apply here as well ??

Affirmatively yes, orange contains acid in nature.
orange juice by reason shd contain more acid to preserve it in a can for period of time.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by jmichael(m): 3:56pm On Mar 11, 2013
brosss:

All I am driving at is, its not piosonous and in most cases, one could advice people to take these softdrinks. I 'll explain.
The stomach is basically acidic(hydrochloric) and most times needs the alkaline nature of food to maintain proper acidic levels. When food becomes irritating like in extreme sickness, soft drinks can do the job well. Most of these drinks contain dissolved sugar ( frutose or sometimes glucose). These sugar even in complex forms can still be broken down to glucos and frutose that can easily be absorbed by the stomach walls.
If the patient can't take food, the next advice is soft drinks( not all drinks are actually soft). That's why doctors advice a patient who can't eat or retain food to take carbonated drinks or other soft drinks(minerals as we know it) before injections.
It should however not be acustomed to, like I said, if you can't retain food, drink something soft for that much needed energy before taking any drugs.

Humbly

Ok bro...well said. Bt I fink its time u stopped misleadin d public by blantantly and courageously exposing ur ignorance. Dat u wia asked to take soft drink bfo an injection is difwent from usin soft drink to take tablets. From ur opinion, its obvious ua neither a professional medic or even a quack! U even don't knw d reason behind d mineral bfo d injection. Well, like sumone earlier, a word is enuf 4 d wise.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by JoanJohnson(f): 3:57pm On Mar 11, 2013
The expert said "it could", so he is not certain.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 11, 2013
What about all those people at the motor parks who chew kola nuts and some of those coloured sticks sold by hausa people and flush them down with alomo bitters and other coloured liquids in dirty bottles sold by yoruba women?

Does the health warning apply to them as well?
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nautillus(m): 4:01pm On Mar 11, 2013
Simple Solution....

Use Malt Drink. Pour in a cup and water down with ice for like 5 to 10 minutes before using the tablets/caplets
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by teenature(f): 4:09pm On Mar 11, 2013
Point of correction, Busayo Idowu is a female Pharmacist not a male. Stop using 'He'
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by nairaarea: 4:17pm On Mar 11, 2013
Orange contains citric acid(a weak acid) that can turn blue litmus paper red. Just use water(not cold or chilled water)

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by RuuDie(m): 4:21pm On Mar 11, 2013
TUMIC: Ilorin - A pharmacist, Busayo Idowu of the Department of Pharmacy, University of Ilorin
Teaching Hospital (UITH), warned on Saturday that taking drugs with beverages such as soft drinks could have adverse effects.
In an interview with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ilorin, Idowu said that drugs, if taken with soft drinks might affect the absorption of the drugs. The expert noted that most soft drinks were acidic, which could decrease the anti bacterial action of tetracycline as they contain
carbonates. Idowu warned further that such acidic drinks
when combined with drugs could cause adverse reaction to patients.
According to him, absorption of some drugs such as aspirin, ketoconazole and phenytoin
could be affected also when taking with acidic beverage. He added that such drugs were best absorbed at highly acidic levels when taken orally.

"Acidic beverages delay the absorption rate and action of Erythromycin”, he said. He advised that drugs should preferably be used with water as it had the properties capable of eliminating unwanted effects.

NAN
http://nigeria.news24.com/National/News/Stop-taking-drugs-with-soft-drinks-expert-warns-20130310

Abegi.
Produce proof... let's see hard facts, figures, analysis, lab results, the kind of drugs you have worked with, the particular constituents of 'soft drinks' that pose a potential hazard when combined with certain drugs, the possible side-effects as has been observed in subjects etc.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by fonssy(f): 4:23pm On Mar 11, 2013
Thanks for the info.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by ZACHIE: 4:27pm On Mar 11, 2013
Sorry o, i have been taking all my drugs with Gulder till date and i have never suffered any dire consequence. Am i the wrong one or is the frigging theory flawed?
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by ochukoccna: 4:28pm On Mar 11, 2013
Seun: What about milk? I've found that taking some drugs with milk seems to eliminate the bitter aftertaste. Milk is not acidic, so I guess it should be ok.
Just what I wanted to post too
Any insights from others about this?
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Revolva(m): 4:41pm On Mar 11, 2013
Ok but when I was a kid my mama dey use eba ..she go hide the drug for inside eba ..give us make we swallow...haha !! Cos of the bitterness we dey run from drugs..haha dose dayz..but e dey work na
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by infolpf: 4:42pm On Mar 11, 2013
This sounds like witch doctoring without research! If the acidic content of soft drinks were enough to induce a chemical reaction from medicines, why then is it even fit for consumption? This is BULL CRAP in my humble, non-medical, but common sense having, opinion! Drinking medicine with milk also WILL NOT reduce the efficacy of your medicine! Dont believe everything you read, do your own research or ask your own doctor. Nonsense!
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by akpanbaba: 4:51pm On Mar 11, 2013
What of kai-kai or ogogoro?.Our water in Niger Delta is contaminated(oil spillage) and i was advised to take drugs with hot kai-kai.Any side effects?
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nicepoker(m): 5:04pm On Mar 11, 2013
especially the ladies who luvs 2 show off
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by tomiedatlo: 5:07pm On Mar 11, 2013
vb0mb: Pls oooo! How about using milk or putting the drug in the middle of eba, fufu or amala and roll before swallow?
And u push it dwn wit a bottle of STAR grin
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by LeOstrich: 5:09pm On Mar 11, 2013
Seun: What about milk? I've found that taking some drugs with milk seems to eliminate the bitter aftertaste. Milk is not acidic, so I guess it should be ok.

YOU STILL HAVEN'T BEEN WEANED ABI?

Milk contains lactic acid for your info.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by kiyosaki1(m): 5:13pm On Mar 11, 2013
Le Ostrich: Does this also means I cant have my codeine syrup with cold pepsi?
Just continue body go soon tell you.Addict
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by kiyosaki1(m): 5:15pm On Mar 11, 2013
akpanbaba: What of kai-kai or ogogoro?.Our water in Niger Delta is contaminated(oil spillage) and i was advised to take drugs with hot kai-kai.Any side effects?
Nice one
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by JABB(m): 5:18pm On Mar 11, 2013
No mind them they say na becos water don finish. Olooju kokoroo!!!
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by pat077: 5:23pm On Mar 11, 2013
vb0mb: Pls oooo! How about using milk or putting the drug in the middle of eba, fufu or amala and roll before swallow?
lol. Drugs in d middle of eba.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by PDF: 5:34pm On Mar 11, 2013
Le Ostrich:

YOU STILL HAVEN'T BEEN WEANED ABI?

Milk contains lactic acid for your info.

Wetin sef? Una no know say drugs dey bitter ni... Water sef contains watery acid...

2 Likes

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Costa2000(m): 5:52pm On Mar 11, 2013
You dey talk of soft drinks,ppl dey use beer sef.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 11, 2013
jmichael:

Ok bro...well said. Bt I fink its time u stopped misleadin d public by blantantly and courageously exposing ur ignorance. Dat u wia asked to take soft drink bfo an injection is difwent from usin soft drink to take tablets. From ur opinion, its obvious ua neither a professional medic or even a quack! U even don't knw d reason behind d mineral bfo d injection. Well, like sumone earlier, a word is enuf 4 d wise.

Temper,temper, easy on the trottle. I am not a medical practitional, I am just someone how knows some medics who know other medics.
Now, then; what part of "extreme" don't you understand.
And I think you missed the line where I said it shouldnt be a culture.
And for the records, you take soft drinks before injections to help your body handle the medications, especially when u havnt eaten in a while, basically due to its high sugar content
U seem not to understand that my whole write up is pointing to one fact....." When your body needs nutrients to handle drugs, and u can't seem to keep anything in ur stomach. Grab a soft drink or risk hurting your self with drugs on empty stomach.

Now, I know u are an e-warrior(lowest class of warriors) but, using those unimpressive words are sure no way to pass your points across.
(Big smile)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Multiple Stones Removed From A Lady's Bladder (Graphic Photo) / Anal Fissure, Hard Stool. Please Help / SPOTTED: Airplane Seats Being Used For Visitors At A Lagos Hospital (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.