Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,877 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns (54047 Views)

Soft Drinks Kill 184,000 Adults Every Year - Study / Is It Right To Take Drugs With Cold Water / Health Expert Warns: Any Food Eaten After 8pm Is Poison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by jmichael(m): 6:03pm On Mar 11, 2013
info@lpf:
This sounds like witch doctoring without research! If the acidic content of soft drinks were enough to induce a chemical reaction from medicines, why then is it even fit for consumption? This is BULL CRAP in my humble, non-medical, but common sense having, opinion! Drinking medicine with milk also WILL NOT reduce the efficacy of your medicine! Dont believe everything you read, do your own research or ask your own doctor. Nonsense!

Mumu a pharmacist (professionally trained in drug manufacure, packagin and dispensin) has given an advice and u say u wanna ask ur doctor (a professional trained to detect difwent disease conditions, diagnose and cary out surgery if need b). Even a doctor wld refer u to a pharmacist regardin issues like dis.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Scientyst(m): 7:10pm On Mar 11, 2013
U are right dude, just dont knw y sum pple are stife necked towards doing wat dey reali knw its right, God wil help us
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Scientyst(m): 7:16pm On Mar 11, 2013
Dats true dude
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by vizion: 7:48pm On Mar 11, 2013
TUMIC: Ilorin - A pharmacist, Busayo Idowu of the Department of Pharmacy, University of Ilorin
Teaching Hospital (UITH), warned on Saturday that taking drugs with beverages such as soft drinks could have adverse effects.
In an interview with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ilorin, Idowu said that drugs, if taken with soft drinks might affect the absorption of the drugs. The expert noted that most soft drinks were acidic, which could decrease the anti bacterial action of tetracycline as they contain
carbonates. Idowu warned further that such acidic drinks
when combined with drugs could cause adverse reaction to patients
According to him, absorption of some drugs such as aspirin, ketoconazole and phenytoin
could be affected also when taking with acidic beverage. He added that such drugs were best absorbed at highly acidic levels when taken orally.

"Acidic beverages delay the absorption rate and action of Erythromycinā€¯, he said. He advised that drugs should preferably be used with water as it had the properties capable of eliminating unwanted effects.
I word is enough for the wise.

NAN
http://nigeria.news24.com/National/News/Stop-taking-drugs-with-soft-drinks-expert-warns-20130310

firstly, the time the drugs and soft drink spends in the mouth is hardly up to 10 seconds. The stomach where the drugs first goes to has a pH of 1.0-3.5, which is more acidic than most soft drinks which is less than 5.5. so does the soft drink really make any difference to the medication we take?

secondly, most tetracycline drugs are encapsulated, with the active ingredient inside the capsule, this means that it takes a long time for the drug to be absorbed into the bloodstream, or react with the system. on the other hand, soft drinks are liquid and are easily adsorbed and excreted from the system so does this make any difference??

PS, i'm not an expert, but would like to learn
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Kpakam(m): 9:40pm On Mar 11, 2013
Don't Do This;Don't Do That;Which One We Go Do naaa,Abeg Leave Me Make I Live My Life Joor
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by plendil: 10:19pm On Mar 11, 2013
Please The pharmacist was not referring to ALL DRUGS OO!! Its just for some of them
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by plendil: 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2013
Seun: What about milk? I've found that taking some drugs with milk seems to eliminate the bitter aftertaste. Milk is not acidic, so I guess it should be ok.

Not with certain drugs like Tetracyline. Milk forms a non-absorbable complex with it, rendering the drug useless.

However for fatty drugs like artemether/lumefantrine (Coartem, lonart, etc) milk will actually increase the absorption and its use is in fact recommended for taking drugs like the aforementioned.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by plendil: 10:36pm On Mar 11, 2013
firstly, the time the drugs and soft drink spends in the mouth is hardly up to 10 seconds. The stomach where the drugs first goes to has a pH of 1.0-3.5, which is more acidic than most soft drinks which is less than 5.5. so does the soft drink really make any difference to the medication we take?

Not necessarily. some like grape juice can be as low as 2.5.

secondly, most tetracycline drugs are encapsulated, with the active ingredient inside the capsule, this means that it takes a long time for the drug to be absorbed into the bloodstream, or react with the system. on the other hand, soft drinks are liquid and are easily adsorbed and excreted from the system so does this make any difference??

The capsule will dissolve in about 10 seconds after ingestion, which gives it plenty of time to react with the 'soft drink'.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by plendil: 10:56pm On Mar 11, 2013
TUMIC: Ilorin - A pharmacist, Busayo Idowu of the Department of Pharmacy, University of Ilorin
Teaching Hospital (UITH), warned on Saturday that taking drugs with beverages such as soft drinks could have adverse effects.
In an interview with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ilorin, Idowu said that drugs, if taken with soft drinks might affect the absorption of the drugs. The expert noted that most soft drinks were acidic, which could decrease the anti bacterial action of tetracycline as they contain
carbonates. Idowu warned further that such acidic drinks
when combined with drugs could cause adverse reaction to patients.
According to him, absorption of some drugs such as aspirin, ketoconazole and phenytoin
could be affected also when taking with acidic beverage. He added that such drugs were best absorbed at highly acidic levels when taken orally.

"Acidic beverages delay the absorption rate and action of Erythromycinā€¯, he said. He advised that drugs should preferably be used with water as it had the properties capable of eliminating unwanted effects.
I word is enough for the wise.

NAN
http://nigeria.news24.com/National/News/Stop-taking-drugs-with-soft-drinks-expert-warns-20130310

It appears there was some confusion with the article. The 'acidic drink prohibition' doesn't apply to all drugs, only those that are basic (alkaline-loving) in nature. The reason is simple chemistry: A basic drug in an acidic environment will lead to ionization of the former which will render it charged and consequently less lipid soluble. This makes it difficult for the drug to penetrate the layer (also lipid in nature) that separates the lining of stomach/small intestine from the blood stream. Aspirin, an acidic drug, is actually better absorbed in an acidic environment.

Just to be safe, it better too use, wherever possible a neutral compound - yeah you guessed it: [size=17pt]WATERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR[/size]!!!!!! grin grin
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by ceeceeco: 6:48am On Mar 12, 2013
brosss: Well, softdrinks works most times for me......
Don't seee the point friend.
First of, its easier as it eliminates the bitter taste.
Second, soft drink gives you quick easy to absorb nutrients,especially when your appetite is gone.
Thirdly, it helps abate the effect of some strong pills on empty stomach.
Trust me mate, when you are sick and you throw up all the food you force into you, including ur drugs, you'll definitely want to try out soft drinks....... They always come to the rescue

My humble opinion
A word they say is enough 4 d wise.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by MSEdLAW(m): 11:07am On Mar 12, 2013
konn: many people are a victim of these "MENANCE" a word is enough for the wise
[b][
Hmmmm!!!! I want to believe that's Typo!!!
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by infolpf: 12:20pm On Mar 12, 2013
jmichael:

Mumu a pharmacist (professionally trained in drug manufacure, packagin and dispensin) has given an advice and u say u wanna ask ur doctor (a professional trained to detect difwent disease conditions, diagnose and cary out surgery if need b). Even a doctor wld refer u to a pharmacist regardin issues like dis.

Jmichael, YOU, infact are the mumu, because your statement has proven that you are ignorant, at best. Do you know the courses of study of a trained Pharmacist and Medical Doctor? Clearly not. Medical doctors in most parts of the civilized world study pharmacology, as part of the comprehensive field of study. Pharmacists, on the other hand, are trained only in pharmacology and end up as medicine dispensers. For your information, most pharmaceutical companies hire Medical Doctors usually with PhD's, not dispensing pharmacists to run their research departments. Research DOctors are the ones who devote their lives to curing ailments through medical research which more often than not results in the invention of medicines. There is a reason why Pharmacists earn between $60K - $120K and Doctors $100 and up! They are better scientists, and better prepared for the science of curing ailments!

Pharmacists and Doctors now work hand in hand, but my Doctor is better trained, and better prepared to detect and help cure any ailments than a pharmacist, even in her sleep! In the USA, pharmacists are found dispensing medicine, acting as an advisory buffer between the physician and the patient at the point where you go get your medicine. No medical doctor or pharmacist in the US, UK or Nigeria has ever told me that soft drinks would reduce the efficacy of my medicine!

I insist it is witch doctoring directed at inducing panic or to get cheap publicity. The so-called pharmacist should come out with empirical research that proves her statement! That is what a true scientist would do.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by kolamilan(m): 5:04pm On Mar 12, 2013
noted.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by marisita: 6:02pm On Mar 12, 2013
Most people are guilty of this just because of ignorance,but thanks for the awareness
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by dbride: 8:20pm On Mar 12, 2013
Seun: What about milk? I've found that taking some drugs with milk seems to eliminate the bitter aftertaste. Milk is not acidic, so I guess it should be ok.

Milk with antibiotic is poison; please dont go there! Be warned.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Seun(m): 11:19pm On Mar 12, 2013
dbride: Milk with antibiotic is poison; please dont go there! Be warned.
Source?
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 13, 2013
Seun: Source?

Mu husband has just finished a course of antibiotics and it was boldly written on the pack that he shouldn't take it with milk. I think it is something to do with the milk stopping the antibiotics from being absorbed.

Some antibiotics have an instruction of taking it 30 minutes before food. Different antibiotocs; different instructions
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by plendil: 7:19am On Mar 14, 2013
dbride:

Milk with antibiotic is poison; please don't go there! Be warned.

No need for the alarm. Like I said above, milk will form a complex the tetracyline rendering it unable to be absorbed into the blood stream where it can perform its work. As a result the drug passes though the gut and ends up in the toilet without accomplishing what it was supposed to. There's nothing really poisonous about it.

Its noteworthy that it not just milk, but any product containing what is called 'divalent cations' eg mist mag commonly used for ulcer. Coadmiminstration with tetracyline will prevent the latter from being absorbed.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by plendil: 7:28am On Mar 14, 2013
chaircover:

Mu husband has just finished a course of antibiotics and it was boldly written on the pack that he shouldn't take it with milk. I think it is something to do with the milk stopping the antibiotics from being absorbed.

Some antibiotics have an instruction of taking it 30 minutes before food. Different antibiotocs; different instructions

@bolded, Precisely.

Some can be taken on an empty stomach, others are better absorbed with food; some can be taken with milk, some cannot.

So its a good idea to always go through the product leaflet which contains instructions, usually jargon-free, on how best to take the drug, or better still confirm form your doctor or pharmacist.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Aliyah9: 7:20am On Oct 03, 2018
Drugs should be taken with clean water only, thanks for reminding this fact other readers, I am sure someone will find this info helpful. Water washes the pills down and digests them faster, thus working faster. Not drinking water can make the pills lodged, so you need water. I use this simple rule no matter which pills I take, from a local drugs store, from https://www.genericspharmacyonline.com/ or ordered in Canada.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 03, 2018
Be warned...do. Not take drugs like tetracycline wit milk, coz the minerals in milk tends to form insoluble complexes with d drug

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doctors Gave Her 10 Days To Live. Now A Year Has Passed And She's Still Here / Multiple Stones Removed From A Lady's Bladder (Graphic Photo) / Should I Take Postinor 2 Everytime?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.