Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. (49017 Views)

Trekking From Accra To Lagos for IDPs / My Journey From Nigeria To Dubai With Pictures / Journey From Lagos To Anambra By Road In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by RedLight1: 6:46pm On Mar 12, 2013
yuzedo:
I wanted to see neighbouring countries myself. For the record/experience sad sad sad who get money to dash Arik by beginning of year kwanu? grin grin
but u suppose go when money dey now atleast its for record and experience not becos u have business or something there .... all the same shey u enjoy the journey small? atleast u suppose yansh one or two banky girls now grin grin
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Activcupid: 6:49pm On Mar 12, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]boko haram shud pay dem a visit, mayb de will vamose dat area small.

I met one guy at d check point there, he was searching me, he removed my wallet, wen he checked my money and handed me my wallet back, my money wasn't complete, I told em to refund my money, he said he doesn't know wut I was talking about, I ask am wether he know wia I de come from, asked em if he've heard of osha b4? Dat he shud refund or sth go apn dia immediately, the guy deeped hand in his pocket and gav bak my 1000k note, fear doz guys oooo, dey are dangerous eehhhh.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Shedysworld(m): 7:33pm On Mar 12, 2013
Seriously I reckon with most of all that's been said by everybody. The most annoying part of the journey is returning to lagos, those our own security men on the road are just terrible that i lack words to describe them.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by ilenaira: 7:44pm On Mar 12, 2013
Those ascribing the behaviour of the vultures to the 'security situation' are not serious. It is not a recent thing o. If contraband dey cross, dem no see am and boko haram come dem go disappear fiam. Security ko, insincerity ni.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by hardbody: 8:02pm On Mar 12, 2013
I do not really get all these points. I had done Lagos-Ghana-Lagos by road, just to view the scenery and have a bit of relaxation, i travelled via ABC transport, everything was so well managed and organised. They collected our passports and yellow cards (vaccination) in the bus, gave us forms to declare the amount we had on us and that was the last we had any encounter with anybody. They served us three meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner and returned our passports as soon as we had passed Aflao and went further inside Ghana, i guess just before we entered Accra. The return trip was basically the same save for the fact that we got into lagos late because of the traffic from Badagry end. Lest i forget, we were also made to walk through the immigration points as the bus will drive through and go wait for us in front. I recall i had to change some dollars at one of those points so that i will have Ghanian Cedis and pesewas before entering that country. In all i so loved that trip that i am thinking of another.

3 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Abrantie: 8:32pm On Mar 12, 2013
@hardbody... only three meals?

I travelled that route last year and was served drinks and snacks between meals.

When we got to Seme, Nigerian Immigration officers gave us 5000 Naira each because it was Christmas.

3 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by jidewin(m): 8:55pm On Mar 12, 2013
Abrantie: @hardbody... only three meals?

I travelled that route last year and was served drinks and snacks between meals.

When we got to Seme, Nigerian Immigration officers gave us 5000 Naira each because it was Christmas.
Hehehehehe I dig this thread walahi...my ppl no funny....to be candid,if and when Naija get a responsible and right thinking govt,this are amongst the many wrongs that needs to be right.meanwhile...my ppl..fire on.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by K4: 9:15pm On Mar 12, 2013
[quote author=Red-Light]bad leadership is african thing but u gaynians love to make it nigerian thingy ..thats why i love bashing u people [/q] senseless slowpoke! you call those meaningless sh1t bashing? f00lish goat with an IQ of an ant! ediot!
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Kingslaw(m): 9:36pm On Mar 12, 2013
I love Nigeria because i know and am pure sure that "all will be well soon"thanks
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by neksummi(m): 9:42pm On Mar 12, 2013
God bless Nigeria and make us change for good.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by erico2k2(m): 10:10pm On Mar 12, 2013
My Advice for you guys is this, you go to the border prepared, don't take anything with you that will give these guys an opportunity to delay or matreat you.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Revolva(m): 8:24am On Mar 13, 2013
hardbody: I do not really get all these points. I had done Lagos-Ghana-Lagos by road, just to view the scenery and have a bit of relaxation, i travelled via ABC transport, everything was so well managed and organised. They collected our passports and yellow cards (vaccination) in the bus, gave us forms to declare the amount we had on us and that was the last we had any encounter with anybody. They served us three meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner and returned our passports as soon as we had passed Aflao and went further inside Ghana, i guess just before we entered Accra. The return trip was basically the same save for the fact that we got into lagos late because of the traffic from Badagry end. Lest i forget, we were also made to walk through the immigration points as the bus will drive through and go wait for us in front. I recall i had to change some dollars at one of those points so that i will have Ghanian Cedis and pesewas before entering that country. In all i so loved that trip that i am thinking of another.
Well truly ABC is d best..and advisable to use..but if you try using all these cabs @ Mile2 haaa u go suffer tire body go tell you
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by mayoroflag(m): 8:40am On Mar 13, 2013
Revolva:
Well truly ABC is d best..and advisable to use..but if you try using all these cabs @ Mile2 haaa u go suffer tire body go tell you

Ditto...you guys initially scared me. Enter ABC, my only problem is the noisy home video that runs all through the journey, else, it's cool...
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Bidvest2020: 9:40am On Mar 13, 2013
Wao!left accra @ 4pm in dec. 4 an urgent biz trip 2 lagos.the road from accra 2 aflao was ok.from aflao 2 seme bad.when we got to d nigerian border,it was somethin else.see bribes upon bribes.but pls fix that seme-lagos road! can't even describe it!

1 Like

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by seyenko(m): 10:37am On Mar 13, 2013
360command: I feel very bitter narrating my experience or peoples experience on the journey from Accra to Lagos by road. I feel very bitter on the type of govt we have back in Nigeria. Nigeria in my heart but for how long will this people in govt continue to make us suffer? I have traveled by road and by air across various countries in the west African region and I must say that travelling by road to Lagos along the ECOWAS route is very pathetic. Due to the experience my friends encountered on the road when travelling, I have decided to write about the journey not given much details but the areas which needs to be handled seriously.
They(my friends) arrived Ghana by road from Lagos so as they can come to collect their certificate, recommendation and reference letter in other for them to be able to use to apply for their masters program abroad which was successful. The journey was with ease when arriving Ghana but the journey from Accra, Ghana to Lagos, Nigeria is worrisome especially when you reach SEME border which is Benin republic and Nigeria.infact, from Seme border down to Mile 2 is where the journey begins and this is very hectic.
SEME border as it is, is in a total mess and I wonder how many years it will take for the govt to fix things in order at the border. The sight is nothing to write home about, a noisy atmosphere where everybody does things helter-skelter. The drive back home from Seme into lagos city is ghastly. The roads are very bad with lots of potholes waiting to finish your shocks and create accidents. A lot of checkpoint by men in paramilitary and govt agencies such as customs, immigration , NDLEA, Police, quarantine, FRSC area boys acting as they were kept by govt on the road etc.
I strongly believe that there are over 37 checkpoint (legal or illegal) along badagry expressway. A 1km distance on that road , we can see about 8-10 different paramilitary on the road. This slows down the travel times covered to reach Lagos city itself. If every country in westafrica were to have such high numerous checkpoints that we are having in Nigeria, I do not think travelling by road will be worth it. It is very pathetic to see those paramilitaries collecting bribes on road so as they can allow vehicles or goods to pass. Those officers mean business and permit me to use this word ‘their eyes dey chook’. I do not see them as officers who are doing their job but they are there to waste peoples time and money not caring about where they are going.
I am not happy with the Nigerian government, I am not happy with ECOWAS. I really do not know what ECOWAS are doing in Abuja, I do not know why our govt cannot remove those paramilitary off the ECOWAS road at once without them from coming back. At least, there should be about 5 checkpoint on the road. Our govt should understand that Nigeria is the only country we have and we have no other place to go other than Nigeria. They should just make the country a better place for us to live in. they should remove the stress out of us. Even though they have money to enter flight, there are many people who do not have. Is it too much to ask from the govt just to help us? Shey na like this we go de dey?

It is not just road travel - at Nigeria's international airports you will see all manners of uniforms, each trying to outdo the other and feeling important. I have flown into various airports in west and east africa and i barely see uniforms not to talk of multiple uniforms and guns. So Seme boarder is still that chaotic, if you are blindfolded from Ghana to Nigeria - you will know when you enter Nigeria. The road is rough and too many uniforms forming responsibility. This same Nigerian attitude delays the clearing of containers from the Ports. I have concluded that Nigeria is not 3rd World but 4th World even by African Standard.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by jascon1(m): 6:04pm On Mar 13, 2013
yuzedo: Lol! Went thru this crap last month. The foolish immigrations people singled me out for random search/questioning.

What do you do? I am a Financial Analyst in a Private Equity firm. Ok, please come down from the bus.

They go through my phone. They go through my laptop! On my laptop they saw the movie "Police Academy" and raised alarm, what am I doing with sensitive documents eh? Is this not the Police Academy in Kano? This must be classified info! Who are you and why do you have this on your system?

Chai! See the ignorant, illiterates we entrust our security!

I got home at 12am that day after leaving Accra at 7.30am. Meanwhile some days prior to that I arrived accra at 8pm. All because the Nigeria axis is a failed portion of the journey.

Police Academy, Kano! grin grin grin
After my trip from Ghana to Lagos I vowed never to travel on land in any african country. Every step is an extortionist in customs uniform collecting money. Don't stab 9ja alone, same thing also happened in Ghana-Togo aflao border. Thieves just standing collecting money from poor victims. Seme-togo border same thing happened to me. But, the worst of all is the seme border. Even with my Nigerian passport I was subdue to absolute opression and victimization. They emptied my pocket to the point that I went mad and had to pour out my frustration and put myself at huge risks. Even the customs officers denied stamping my passport without bribe. The entire money I spent, was collectively sufficient to book a flight ticket. I arrived home broke and completely disheartened and disappointed over things happeneing in my own country. Tho, my trip by air was amazing and hitch-free. I wouldn't advice anyone to ply that route. If u can afford a ticket by air, pls save yourself the harrasment. And if u want to dare, don't forget your yellow paper and be careful who u give your passport to. Get smart, move fast and don't answer to every call. Again, don't dress to impress no one, dress haggard and shine ya eyes.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 10, 2013
wow shocked
I am so glad to come across this thread. I should be going to ghana next monday and was considering going by road for sight seeing. Now i am gonna go by air.

3 Likes

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by GHKWAME1: 6:45pm On Jan 07, 2014
Red-Light:
now u are talkin like human grin grin cool thats what u gaynians on nairaland dont understand ...the issue of bad leadership is african thing but u gaynians love to make it nigerian thingy ..thats why i love bashing u people grin
Mumugerian! You mumu pass! Choi! See how you bleach.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Sagamite(m): 4:26pm On Jan 29, 2015
360command:
I feel very bitter narrating my experience or peoples experience on the journey from Accra to Lagos by road. I feel very bitter on the type of govt we have back in Nigeria. Nigeria in my heart but for how long will this people in govt continue to make us suffer? I have traveled by road and by air across various countries in the west African region and I must say that travelling by road to Lagos along the ECOWAS route is very pathetic. Due to the experience my friends encountered on the road when travelling, I have decided to write about the journey not given much details but the areas which needs to be handled seriously.
They(my friends) arrived Ghana by road from Lagos so as they can come to collect their certificate, recommendation and reference letter in other for them to be able to use to apply for their masters program abroad which was successful. The journey was with ease when arriving Ghana but the journey from Accra, Ghana to Lagos, Nigeria is worrisome especially when you reach SEME border which is Benin republic and Nigeria.infact, from Seme border down to Mile 2 is where the journey begins and this is very hectic.
SEME border as it is, is in a total mess and I wonder how many years it will take for the govt to fix things in order at the border. The sight is nothing to write home about, a noisy atmosphere where everybody does things helter-skelter. The drive back home from Seme into lagos city is ghastly. The roads are very bad with lots of potholes waiting to finish your shocks and create accidents. A lot of checkpoint by men in paramilitary and govt agencies such as customs, immigration , NDLEA, Police, quarantine, FRSC area boys acting as they were kept by govt on the road etc.
I strongly believe that there are over 37 checkpoint (legal or illegal) along badagry expressway. A 1km distance on that road , we can see about 8-10 different paramilitary on the road. This slows down the travel times covered to reach Lagos city itself. If every country in westafrica were to have such high numerous checkpoints that we are having in Nigeria, I do not think travelling by road will be worth it. It is very pathetic to see those paramilitaries collecting bribes on road so as they can allow vehicles or goods to pass. Those officers mean business and permit me to use this word ‘their eyes dey chook’. I do not see them as officers who are doing their job but they are there to waste peoples time and money not caring about where they are going.
I am not happy with the Nigerian government, I am not happy with ECOWAS. I really do not know what ECOWAS are doing in Abuja, I do not know why our govt cannot remove those paramilitary off the ECOWAS road at once without them from coming back. At least, there should be about 5 checkpoint on the road. Our govt should understand that Nigeria is the only country we have and we have no other place to go other than Nigeria. They should just make the country a better place for us to live in. they should remove the stress out of us. Even though they have money to enter flight, there are many people who do not have. Is it too much to ask from the govt just to help us? Shey na like this we go de dey?

Giant of Africaaaaaa!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

Fcked up shithole!

1 Like

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Ndipe(m): 10:17am On Nov 24, 2020
I am interested in visiting Ghana and I will like to take a road trip. The reason is just to explore and enjoy the scenery from Lagos to Accra. But the long journey itself is a deterrent unlike if I were to fly.

hardbody:
I do not really get all these points. I had done Lagos-Ghana-Lagos by road, just to view the scenery and have a bit of relaxation, i travelled via ABC transport, everything was so well managed and organised. They collected our passports and yellow cards (vaccination) in the bus, gave us forms to declare the amount we had on us and that was the last we had any encounter with anybody. They served us three meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner and returned our passports as soon as we had passed Aflao and went further inside Ghana, i guess just before we entered Accra. The return trip was basically the same save for the fact that we got into lagos late because of the traffic from Badagry end. Lest i forget, we were also made to walk through the immigration points as the bus will drive through and go wait for us in front. I recall i had to change some dollars at one of those points so that i will have Ghanian Cedis and pesewas before entering that country. In all i so loved that trip that i am thinking of another.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by hardbody: 10:35am On Nov 24, 2020
Ndipe:
I am interested in visiting Ghana and I will like to take a road trip. The reason is just to explore and enjoy the scenery from Lagos to Accra. But the long journey itself is a deterrent unlike if I were to fly.

As soon as you get to Badagry and cross into Benin Republic, the trip is smooth and enjoyable...try it.

But up until you get to Badagry the road is generally crazy from the Lagos axis.

All the best Ndipe.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by Ndipe(m): 10:36am On Nov 24, 2020
Thank you.

hardbody:

As soon as you get to Badagry and cross into Benin Republic, the trip is smooth and enjoyable...try it.

But up until you get to Badagry the road is generally crazy from the Lagos axis.

All the best Ndipe.
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by hardbody: 11:19am On Nov 24, 2020
Ndipe:
Thank you.

While you are at, visit Elmina Castle at Cape Coast and the nearby Kakun park. there is also this boat ride at a certain lake (name has eluded me now) and don't forget to pick some kente materials. Visit also the Nkrumah park and this former president's house at Osu. Hotels are cheap at Osu too and it is a very central area. You have a Nigerian kitchen at Oxford Street and you will eat any Nigerian food there. They have their favorite Kenke at almost every corner (but i hate corn meals and i was made to understand that Kenke is prepared using corn, so i never tried it). A lot to enjoy.

Plus if you love the ocean, seat to the left of the vehicle...the drivers row while going....You will watch the coastline and see the ocean from a distance.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by capricornlady: 1:35pm On Nov 24, 2020
hardbody:

While you are at, visit Elmina Castle at Cape Coast and the nearby Kakun park. there is also this boat ride at a certain lake (name has eluded me now) and don't forget to pick some kente materials. Visit also the Nkrumah park and this former president's house at Osu. Hotels are cheap at Osu too and it is a very central area. You have a Nigerian kitchen at Oxford Street and you will eat any Nigerian food there. They have their favorite Kenke at almost every corner (but i hate corn meals and i was made to understand that Kenke is prepared using corn, so i never tried it). A lot to enjoy.

Plus if you love the ocean, seat to the left of the vehicle...the drivers row while going....You will watch the coastline and see the ocean from a distance.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy.

This was really helpful as i am planning on going on a road trip next month from Lagos to Accra back to Lagos. I'll definitely go through ABC, I was almost thinking of going through those buses and cabs at Mile2. Please do you know any other good transport line?

Please do you have an idea of the transport now and cheap affordable hotel fee in Accra? Thanks
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by hardbody: 3:14pm On Nov 24, 2020
capricornlady:

This was really helpful as i am planning on going on a road trip next month from Lagos to Accra back to Lagos. I'll definitely go through ABC, I was almost thinking of going through those buses and cabs at Mile2. Please do you know any other good transport line?

Please do you have an idea of the transport now and cheap affordable hotel fee in Accra? Thanks

Aside ABC, God is Good Motors does the trip. EFEX also does.

My experience was only with ABC though, so I cannot speak to or vouch for the others (and I am not saying they are bad either, I just do not have any experience with them).

As for costs, I suggest you check online. My trip was years ago.

All the period I have been in Ghana I have always done Osu in Accra. They have a number of good and not too expensive hotels. Check online. It is however important to note that Ghana is now hosting a lot of tourists so prices in the hotels have actually skyrocketed as I noticed at my last trip (i guess early last year).
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by capricornlady: 3:56pm On Nov 24, 2020
hardbody:

Aside ABC, God is Good Motors does the trip. EFEX also does.

My experience was only with ABC though, so I cannot speak to or vouch for the others (and I am not saying they are bad either, I just do not have any experience with them).

As for costs, I suggest you check online. My trip was years ago.

All the period I have been in Ghana I have always done Osu in Accra. They have a number of good and not too expensive hotels. Check online. It is however important to note that Ghana is now hosting a lot of tourists so prices in the hotels have actually skyrocketed as I noticed at my last trip (i guess early last year).
Okay, Thank you
Re: The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. by JamesBY: 8:49pm On Sep 10, 2022
Hi 'enquirer', this is to give you the most recent update. I made a trip to and fro Ghana this September, 2022. I went with ABC Transport and was charged 50k and they collected 7k extra for stamping my new passport (applies also if that's the first time you're using the passport on road route). Upon gathering more info, I came back with Cross-Country Transport and was charged 42k. Meaning, it's cheaper to travel with Cross-Country and I observed that Cross-Country seem to always have atleast 2 drivers for each trip.

Moreover, never believe anyone of the Transport companies when they tell you that they move by 6:30am. The earliest time they move is between 7:30-8:00am.

Also, Ghana (Accra) is generally peaceful. Best of luck and safe journey to you in Jesus Name!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Passenger Bus Falls Into Sinkhole As Calabar/Ikom Highway Divides Into Two. PICS / Current State Of Concrete Road Umahi Constructed In Nkalagu, Ebonyi. / Adeleke Caught With Illegal Crocodile Meat At Calgary International Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.