Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,956 members, 7,825,000 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! (19601 Views)

Beans Lovers Come In / Moin-moin: To Peel Or Not To Peel The Beans / Fish Lovers Come On In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 12:12am On Mar 13, 2013
I made moin-moin for the first time a few weeks ago and let me tell you, I've found my new favourite food! The only difficult part is getting the skin off the black-eyed beans with your hands, pheew! But once you get past that part, the process becomes much more enjoyable and fun. I made my own containers using aluminium foil too. I've heard some people use bean flour to make things easier, but I want to be making it from scratch and won't be using bean flour. Oh, how I love moin-moin! I love eating beans in general, so this is a more fun way to eat one of my favourite foods.

Do you like moyin-moyin? Have you made it yourself before? How often do you eat it?

What methods do you use to remove the skin? Do you have tricks that make it easier for you to do so?

What types of meat do you put in the mix? How long do you cook your moyin-moyin?

Any other comments about moin-moin? Share them here!

3 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by InesQor(m): 12:15am On Mar 13, 2013
Peeling the skin off the beans for Moin moin is a delicate matter cheesy

Soak it in water too long and it gets hard to peel. Don't soak it long enough, and it's hard to peel.

But you know what? It's worth it in the end cheesy

P.S. try preparing it with crayfish, prawns, eggs, fish, meat, liver, etc. Moin Moin Elemi Meje! grin

3 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 12:38am On Mar 13, 2013
Hey InesQor, my friend!!!

I had no idea soaking it in water too long makes it hard to peel. The first time I made it I soaked it overnight and it was hard peeling the skin off. I was able to peel off about 4 cups and left the remainder soaked for one more night (I got tired jor, lol) and that made things a tiny bit easier. I was even thinking to soak the beans for a few days to a week the next time I plan to make it, LMAO. I added egg and one type of meat, but will try adding other stuff next time. I didn't use crayfish, but a shrimp mix from Senegal. And yes, it's worth it in the end, yum!
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by InesQor(m): 12:56am On Mar 13, 2013
Yield: Hey InesQor, my friend!!!

I had no idea soaking it in water too long makes it hard to peel. The first time I made it I soaked it overnight and it was hard peeling the skin off. I was able to peel off about 4 cups and left the remainder soaked for one more night (I got tired jor, lol) and that made things a tiny bit easier. I was even thinking to soak the beans for a few days to a week the next time I plan to make it, LMAO. I added egg and one type of meat, but will try adding other stuff next time. I didn't use crayfish, but a shrimp mix from Senegal. And yes, it's worth it in the end, yum!

My dear Yield kiss

Hahahahah one whole night? Haaaa

Yes o. Soaking it too long will make the beans puffed up, and the skin will be harder to peel. About one hour on the average is good.

Tip 1: Get a piece of sackcloth and clean it properly, cut it into two. Next time you want to make Moin Moin, Soak beans for one hour to 90 mins (max), wrap the sackcloth around your hands and then scrub the beans like you're washing clothes. It'll come off real easy.

Tip 2: If you're in a hurry, soak the beans using hot (not boiling) water. This way the skin will be ready to come off in like 30 minutes.

Invite me when you make some next, I go chop o smiley

3 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 4:44am On Mar 13, 2013
Thanks for the tips, InesQor. Those're neat ideas, will try them out. I will make twice the batch next time, just for you. ( :
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 5:40am On Mar 13, 2013
Hi Yield, I love moin-moin!

Its been quite a while since I made it though(not sure why undecided)
I made it with a Nigerian friend many times in a similar way you describe. But we used beans called honeybeans.
I liked it best with mackerel fish, and some other kind of dried fish,I dont remember.

We cooked it by steaming it in a large pot,in small tin cups.
And, I liked it best with boiled yams!

I also find it fun to make smiley

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by bibiji(f): 6:39pm On Mar 14, 2013
D fastest way to peel off d back is by simply putting d beans in a mortar pour water to it and pound gently. Am certain abt dis because I make moin moin every saturday as breakfast 4d family. Try dis and u wil b amazed at how easy it is to wash off d bak. Try it and u wil certainly tank me 4 dis info.

9 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by InesQor(m): 6:58pm On Mar 14, 2013
bibiji: D fastest way to peel off d back is by simply putting d beans in a mortar pour water to it and pound gently. Am certain abt dis because I make moin moin every saturday as breakfast 4d family. Try dis and u wil b amazed at how easy it is to wash off d bak. Try it and u wil certainly tank me 4 dis info.

Nice one! Hope the beans won't get crushed in the process though?
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by bibiji(f): 2:33pm On Mar 15, 2013
It won't, and it wil giv it all d freshness u can tink of because d beans is nt soakd and stil giving ur moin moin d ability 2 thicken and swell.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 15, 2013
Thanks talina and bibiji! cheesy cheesy
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by anitank(f): 10:18am On Mar 16, 2013
Which one is Moyin-Moyin again na?

Anyway... I usually make mine wrapped in moi moi leaves cos I love the taste it gives, and unlike most people who use groundnut oil, I use red oil. Also, instead of mixing with meat, I perboil fish (Titus) seasoned with maggi,onions and a little pepper, then I use a spoon to scatter it and spread allover the ground beans which already has other ingredients before I distribute them into the moi moi leaves and cook cheesy

U just can't help but love this food kiss

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 10:21am On Mar 16, 2013
The beans shouldn't be left long in the water.
I personally love moi moi. And also you can explore during the mixing. Like using the boiled fish waater mixture to mix the paste before sealing.
Adding shrimps and all sorts.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Chokolee(m): 10:21am On Mar 16, 2013
Moin Moin Lovers made front page!! I am going to create a tread for Akara' lovers!! If it doesnt make front page..God know how Him go do that one;besides if anything happens to this comment!!

2 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by WizPrince1(m): 10:23am On Mar 16, 2013
Wow, Moi Moi... Its been long i ate it..
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by albacete(m): 10:24am On Mar 16, 2013
thats kool.
Chokolee: Moin Moin Lovers made front page!! I am going to create a tread for Akara' lovers!! If it doesnt make front page..God know how Him go do that one;besides if anything happens to this comment!!
ask d oga @ d top for directions before creating any such thread. that is, if u want it to make FP. Cos ur oga might have a different opinion from what u may want to write about.

i think daz all for all
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 16, 2013
. I'm coming back to comment.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by gen2briz(m): 10:31am On Mar 16, 2013
After stressful week, thank God say Oga @ the top what to give us something delicious
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Teejayphillip(m): 10:32am On Mar 16, 2013
Wow.... Daz moi favourite meal....

Moi moi on evry weekend tinz 4 breakfast,am zo zo loving it
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by GraceBestowed(f): 10:32am On Mar 16, 2013
NL has done it once again, watch how this thread will get interesting, fast!!

I love moi-moi (lol, that's my way of spelling it, and I'm sticking to it)! The originator of this tread must have been super inspired to start this thread!
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Chokolee(m): 10:33am On Mar 16, 2013
albacete: thats kool.
ask d oga @ d top for directions before creating any such thread. that is, if u want it to make FP. Cos ur oga might have a different opinion from what u may want to write about.

i think daz all for all
Oga at my top, i dont think the Oga who created the thread consulted his/her own Oga @the top before the threads origin!! So why should i consult any oga at the top! Thats all, beside lemme ask this oga, is it true?
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by ayzero6487(m): 10:35am On Mar 16, 2013
...moin moin..front page....dz fp dn suffer o.....aw abt a thread 4 ewa aganyi nd agege bread...
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Lyzbet: 10:37am On Mar 16, 2013
A very good tip is during scrubing or peeling of the beans, reduce the water content to the lowest level. This increases the surface friction between the bean grains and the back peels off faster.

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Havilah93(m): 10:40am On Mar 16, 2013
moin moin elepo

moin moin ol'ororo

moin moin elédé

chei....... grin

moin moin eleyin

1 Like

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Leopantro: 10:40am On Mar 16, 2013
WTF angryWTF
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by bigfat05: 10:41am On Mar 16, 2013
[size=15pt]MOIN MOIN + SUGAR + GARRI[/size] ---> SIMPLY THE BEST cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:46am On Mar 16, 2013
Moin moin, a very good delicacy for a Nigerian's saturday morning.
Expecially with Agege bread or pap. (Come join me for breakfast).
Last Bullet: I love the type of moin moin made with vegetable oil & embedded with smoked-fish, egg, crayfish & others (moin moin elemi meje).
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by trisurface: 10:46am On Mar 16, 2013
Yeah, Moi moi is great.
Some questions:
Why is it called moi moi? Originally, Yorubas call it Ole,I think?

Is there any tribe for whom the food is not local?

Lastly, it keeps quite well.
Refridgerate it. When U need it, bring it out, toss it in light oil, dash of soy sauce, sprinkle bread crumbs and serve.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by dopeJemi: 10:47am On Mar 16, 2013

its Moi-Moi not Moin-Moin
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Dygeasy(m): 10:49am On Mar 16, 2013
Too much Moin-Moin D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ cause unnecessary mess o. Make this kind thing ₪ø̲̣̣ happen--------»

3 Likes

Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Winneygirl(f): 10:51am On Mar 16, 2013
bibiji: D fastest way to peel off d back is by simply putting d beans in a mortar pour water to it and pound gently. Am certain abt dis because I make moin moin every saturday as breakfast 4d family. Try dis and u wil b amazed at how easy it is to wash off d bak. Try it and u wil certainly tank me 4 dis info.

Usually, I soak d beans 4 abt 10mins, drain out d water, and pound d wet beans. Depending on d quantity of beans, I pound 4 abt 5-10mins, then wash out d peels.
Re: Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 16, 2013
Another tip to easily remove the coat is soak with potash.
It softens the coat and makes it come off easily.

The igbos make one that looks like moi moi too called okpa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Remove And Wash Snails Perfectly / Cooking Made So Easy / How To Make Meat Pie Without Oven, Use Your Pot (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.