Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating (13274 Views)

Ambode Lights Up Third Mainland Bridge (photos) / Onitsha Bridge Is Vibrating And May Collapse / Niger Bridge Is Falling! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by justokey(m): 11:24am On Mar 13, 2013
Thanks bro for the post.... I am actually waiting for all the people saying that it is natural to notice vibration on a bridge to spell out their professional leaning...those movements in structures are not supposed to be even felt, not to talk of seen!

ndu_chucks: Hmmmm. I wouldn't expect the noticeable vibration of a major bridge as a natural state of engineering affairs. I lived abroad for many years and never felt the vibration of any bridge or ever heard of any commuter with such an experience.

From the engineering stand point, periodic stimulus of a mechanical system, such as wind buffeting a bridge could cause vibrations. These vibrations, however, are more or less in harmony with the bridge's natural vibrations (which are really not supposed to be felt by motorists). If unchecked, the vibration can increase drastically, sending destructive, resonant vibrations traveling through a bridge in the form of torsional waves.

God forbid, but when de bridge fall down, make una no blame GEJ and the responsible minister. I believe say dat bridge na federal structure.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by seyi42k(m): 11:27am On Mar 13, 2013
I have a lot of friends and colleagues who have complained about the same thing. For those harassing the OP, they should consider that people do not complain about the Carter bridge or any other major bridge in Lagos.

We are used to procrastinating in this part of the world until something bad happens. Look at our roads, rail lines (infact a friend spent 5 hours to Ibadan on Saturday) and even airport.

Stop using the principle of expansion and contraction to befuddle logic. A bridge should not vibrate to such an extent as should be noticed.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by hotcake: 11:54am On Mar 13, 2013
4llerbuntu: Oh Please not again.

FYI those joints are MEANT TO MOVE AND VIBRATE!!!

there are like shock absorbers in cars. the bridge is in sections. and balanced on large pillars. there has to be some "cushioning" between the sections and the pillars else it will develop cracks and collapse

the "absorbers" is what they are supposed to be changing when they do their so-called renovation. your guess is as good as mine if they did

when u change your car absorbers, it has a lot more spring and bounce compared with when its damaged and your car body keeps hitting the tires and ground.

if that bridge is going to collapse it wont vibrate, it will develop large cracks in the concrete and come down

SO YES THE DAMN BRIDGE VIBRATES, IT HAS ALWAYS VIBRATED. ANYONE PERCEPTIVE ENOUGH SHOULD KNOW THIS.

i cant imagine what you would do if you were to be walking on foot on the bridge, jump into the lagoon?

Yes, you are right. But if the vibration becomes excessive (high amplitudes) or extends over a long period (fatigue) you can get catastrophic collapse
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by ajayioluwatobi(m): 12:00pm On Mar 13, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmmmm shaky shaky daddy
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by OneNaira6: 12:04pm On Mar 13, 2013
Hmm so both bridges are vibrating. Hmmmm. I thought the mainland bridge recently received some remodeling and works done so what happening to it?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by naptu2: 12:08pm On Mar 13, 2013
I've stood on that bridge many times since 1991 (I was even standing on one of the joints when an 18 wheeler passed by), so I know that it vibrates.

So, when in 2006/2007 there were rumours that the bridge was going to collapse because of vibrations (One day I even got a text message that the bridge had collapsed), I laughed it off.

However, a few months later, engineers conducted tests (in response to public outcry) and discovered that the expansion joints were bad. I was forced to eat my words. The bridge was closed in 2008 and 2012 so that the joints could be fixed.

Now people have started complaining again. I'm not inclined to dismiss their complaints. An independent body should conduct tests on the bridge (o wait! The senators say this has been done and that the results show that the bridge is in danger of collapsing) and make their findings public.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by omiobo: 12:11pm On Mar 13, 2013
justokey: Driving to work this morning, I witnessed a very scary scene at the 3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos. The traffic was moving at a snail's pace as usual, when suddenly I was jolted by a sharp and tremendous vibration. I looked out and noticed that I was atop an expansion joint. What scared me most was that one side of the joint was noticeably vibrating. What I mean is that you could see one part swinging up and down. This happened at exactly the joint where the Lagos bound traffic from Adekunle meet the traffic from Oworoshonki. I was too shocked to take photos/video, perhaps if i have the courage to pass through there tomorrow i will do so.
Oga no cause unnecessary panick o. That bridge don dey vibrating since. How a long bridge like that no go vibrate.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by badesco(m): 12:33pm On Mar 13, 2013
Don't you expect a bridge to vibrate? if a bridge don't vibrate that mean it is static and will definitely collapse, so it is a normal thing for bridge to vibrate.pls donrt create unnecessary panic. And not too long ago somebody else also said that onitsha bridge is vibrating, so how many do we expect to vibrate within a day in Nigeria?.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by playcharles(m): 12:43pm On Mar 13, 2013
wesley80: Long yawnnnnnnnnn! Perhaps your title should've read "is the third mainland bridge vibrating?" you need a handful of corroborators to come up with a declarative title like yours, for all I know you could've been high on early morning shekpe when you passed the bridge this morning! Did you also see a shark dancing etighi?
AZONTO

not only shekpe bro, i guess alomo bitters inclusive mixed with a teaspoon full of yahoozeeee
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by coldgate(f): 12:43pm On Mar 13, 2013
haba-nairaland:
Its normal, nothing alarming about the ish...
Byy the way, I made it to the --------- and I'm the fifth to complement.
Causes of Vibration in a Bridge-
a) Repeating forces

(b) Looseness

(c) Resonance
Should I be worried? Maybe. Why? Because take Resonance for example:A repeating force(such as steady movement of cars) causing resonance may be small and may originate from the motion of a good machine component. Such a mild repeating force would not be a problem until it begins to cause resonance. Resonance, however, should always be avoided as it causes rapid and severe damage. For example, whole bridges have collapsed due to their natural oscillation rates being excited by the mere rhythm of soldiers marching in unison across the bridges.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by felifeli: 12:47pm On Mar 13, 2013
All structures and things vibrate. This is caused by natural transmission of impact or impulse through the structure.In this case the impact is due to the vehicle tyre loads and also impulse from vehicle noise.The only way that the bridge could collapse is when the frequency of the vibration harmonises with the natural frequency of the material of the structure , in which case the structure just liquefies (disintegrates). Expansion/construction joints work not only to accomodate internal stress from temperature variations but they also incorporate dampers which absorb the vibration to forestall collapse. Of course I speak as an engineer. wink wink

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by pankere(m): 1:02pm On Mar 13, 2013
grin I'm the culprit. I forgot my nokia 3310 on the bridge yesterday n the vibration was due to incoming calls on the fone. U all know that fone is very powerful

1 Like

Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by 4teelaw(f): 1:07pm On Mar 13, 2013
justokey: Driving to work this morning, I witnessed a very scary scene at the 3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos. The traffic was moving at a snail's pace as usual, when suddenly I was jolted by a sharp and tremendous vibration. I looked out and noticed that I was atop an expansion joint. What scared me most was that one side of the joint was noticeably vibrating. What I mean is that you could see one part swinging up and down. This happened at exactly the joint where the Lagos bound traffic from Adekunle meet the traffic from Oworoshonki. I was too shocked to take photos/video, perhaps if i have the courage to pass through there tomorrow i will do so.

It has always been vibrating, since I was in secondary school. I don't think the vibration is a cause for panic, there should be some civil engineering explanation for that
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by 4teelaw(f): 1:08pm On Mar 13, 2013
felifeli: All structures and things vibrate. This is caused by natural transmission of impact or impulse through the structure.In this case the impact is due to the vehicle tyre loads and also impulse from vehicle noise.The only way that the bridge could collapse is when the frequency of the vibration harmonises with the natural frequency of the material of the structure , in which case the structure just liquefies (disintegrates). Expansion/construction joints work not only to accomodate internal stress from temperature variations but they also incorporate dampers which absorb the vibration to forestall collapse. Of course I speak as an engineer. wink wink

Yer, u r correct
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by justokey(m): 1:54pm On Mar 13, 2013
felifeli: All structures and things vibrate. This is caused by natural transmission of impact or impulse through the structure.In this case the impact is due to the vehicle tyre loads and also impulse from vehicle noise.The only way that the bridge could collapse is when the frequency of the vibration harmonises with the natural frequency of the material of the structure , in which case the structure just liquefies (disintegrates). Expansion/construction joints work not only to accomodate internal stress from temperature variations but they also incorporate dampers which absorb the vibration to forestall collapse. Of course I speak as an engineer. wink wink

Can you explain the bold words sir?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Nobody: 2:07pm On Mar 13, 2013
wesley80: Long yawnnnnnnnnn! Perhaps your title should've read "is the third mainland bridge vibrating?" you need a handful of corroborators to come up with a declarative title like yours, for all I know you could've been high on early morning shekpe when you passed the bridge this morning! Did you also see a shark dancing etighi?
It is fools like you that don't take things seriously until it get out of hands.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by blackbeau1(f): 2:24pm On Mar 13, 2013
Please @ op,be careful.this one you said you want to investigate,your life is more valueable than proving a bunch of doubting thomases wrong
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by ace76: 4:27pm On Mar 13, 2013
Na una sabi. Make the whole Naija dey vibrate self. Yeye people, yeye nation. MUCH TALK LESS ACTION!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Jakumo(m): 5:22pm On Mar 13, 2013
Looking back over the responses in this topic, I note that many more writers than usual are female, and I would like to propound a hypothesis that the disproportionate female interest in this discussion thread might be due in part to the sub-conscious attraction of the word "Vibrate" to women who own one at home.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by intrepid: 5:38pm On Mar 13, 2013
Every bridge in Nigeria is vibrating.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Bozzy001(m): 6:11pm On Mar 13, 2013
grin
SamConquer: The Bridge Is ''Vibrating''. . .Please Set The Bridge To ''Ringing Tone''. . .
https://www.nairaland.com/smileys/grin.gif
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by anitank(f): 6:24pm On Mar 13, 2013
BayoAA:
If you travel along 3MB or any long bridge, you will notice that your car is running into a "bump-like" or "gallop"at interval. Those gallops are the expansion joints for thermal expansion.
Oh I think I know now. They happen to be on every major bridge. Thanks
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by isalegan2: 6:30pm On Mar 13, 2013
I think the civil engineers in our midst have answered the concern: It is supposed to!

Oh, another breaking news! Skyscrapers also "sway." All these humongous structures must have some flexibility, hence the swaying. I worked for years on the top floor of a 50-story building, and were told by the architect and developer that all tall buildings are built to withstand the frequent tornadoes we get in this part of the world. Glad I don't live in Chicago though. shocked

ndu_chucks: God forbid, but when de bridge fall down, make una no blame GEJ and the responsible minister. I believe say dat bridge na federal structure.

cheesy Hmmm. Contradictory much? If it's a federal structure, you gonna blame the state government? tongue
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Ishilove: 6:39pm On Mar 13, 2013
Jakumo: Looking back over the responses in this topic, I note that many more writers than usual are female, and I would like to propound a hypothesis that the disproportionate female interest in this discussion thread might be due in part to the sub-conscious attraction of the word "Vibrate" to women who own one at home.
shocked grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Ishilove: 6:43pm On Mar 13, 2013
pankere: grin I'm the culprit. I forgot my nokia 3310 on the bridge yesterday n the vibration was due to incoming calls on the fone. U all know that fone is very powerful
Lwkmd!!! Boii, you are craaaazy!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by Sanmexy(m): 9:54pm On Mar 13, 2013
Nairaland has become a household name, d title of dis thread is misleading, kindly modify it 2:
The 3rd Mainland Bridge is vibrating, is dis normal?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by nduchucks: 10:13pm On Mar 13, 2013
isale_gan2: I think the civil engineers in our midst have answered the concern: It is supposed to!

Oh, another breaking news! Skyscrapers also "sway." All these humongous structures must have some flexibility, hence the swaying. I worked for years on the top floor of a 50-story building, and were told by the architect and developer that all tall buildings are built to withstand the frequent tornadoes we get in this part of the world. Glad I don't live in Chicago though. shocked

cheesy Hmmm. Contradictory much? If it's a federal structure, you gonna blame the state government? tongue

Indeed Skyscapers sway and that is expected. Bridges vibrate as well but the frequency and intensity of the vibrations in question seem abnormal.

BTW: sebi you suppose to sabi say if fowl tanda jeje, e no good make you take reverse vacuum cleaner blow breeze. Fowl yansh go open na.

You sef be enigmatic contradiction.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by lolop(m): 12:27pm On Mar 14, 2013
This has cause panic

Ppl has resulted to take alternate route even though is longer

I just hope the govt is listening and reading this post

Before the bridge collapse
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by dskenky(m): 12:54pm On Mar 14, 2013
Many bridges and buildings have fallen down due to the effects of resonance – or to be more precise, mechanical resonance. This is the susceptibility of a structure to respond at an increased amplitude when the frequency of its oscillations matches its natural frequency of vibration. In other words, this means that if a structure begins to vibrate in a violent manner, it’s liable to fail mechanically and this can quickly lead to its total destruction.

Structures like bridges can start to oscillate – ie vibrate at a regular rate – for many reasons. Indeed, environmental factors like traffic, a high footfall or powerful machinery can
trigger vibrations. If these vibrations happen to occur at a system’s resonance frequency, then oscillation generates excitation at an atomic level, where more and more energy is stored. When this stored energy exceeds an object’s load limit, it will lose structural integrity.
One of the most famous examples of a resonance disaster is the 1940 Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse in Washington, USA.

Culled form www.howitworksdaily.com/science/how-can-resonance-collapse-bridges/
Re: Third Mainland Bridge Is Vibrating by felifeli: 6:13pm On Mar 18, 2013
justokey:

Can you explain the bold words sir?
Springs --- just like shock absorbers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Enemies Printing Buhari, My Posters For 2015 – Amaechi / Fulani Herdsmen: Okorocha Appeals To Buhari To Intervene / Soldiers Arrest Suspected Associates Of Tompolo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.