Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,268 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Amazing Photos: See How Prison In Norway Looks Like - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Amazing Photos: See How Prison In Norway Looks Like (2709 Views)

Amazing Photos Of The Inside Palace Of The New Ooni Of Ife / 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) / It Looks Like I Need To Go Back To Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Amazing Photos: See How Prison In Norway Looks Like by Afriface: 7:07pm On Mar 13, 2013
This is a very lengthy write up but will like to be brief

Point is that If they treat people like animals when they are in prison, they are likely to behave like animals.
“In the Norway law, being sent to prison is nothing to do with putting you in a terrible prison to make you suffer. The punishment is that you lose your freedom.

In Bastoy, they pay attention to you as human beings.” — Arne Nilsen, Governor of Bastoy Prison, Norway After reading Erwin James’ beautiful and didactic piece on Bastoy Prison in The Guardian newspaper of the UK on February 25, 2013, I was sunk in reverie. I thought of a scenario where it is possible for a convict to choose where to serve his or her jail term. Imagine a suspect saying: “My Lord, I plead guilty to all the crimes for which I have been charged by the prosecutor. My allocution is however that in sentencing me, temper justice with mercy by sending me to Bastoy Prison in Norway.”

Norway has a population of slightly less than five million compared to Nigeria’s approximately 170 million. It has fewerthan 4,000 prisoners while Nigerian prisons housed 54,156 inmates as of October 31, 2012. Of this number, only 15, 804 were convicted persons while 38, 352 were awaiting trial persons. In terms of
prison and prisoners’ management, the Nigerian Prison Service has a lot to learn from their Norwegian counterpart.

Read Complete Article and Photos at .http://www.tundeola.com/2013/03/amazing-photos-see-how-prison-in-norway.html

(1) (Reply)

The Significance Of Ikeji Aro Festival / Dutch Return Head Of Ghana King / Spains Scars From 800 Years Of "Moorish" Colonisation...(odd / Interesting Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.