Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,008 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? (1718 Views)

London Is The World's Most Popular Capital - Again / London Is Not The Paradise I Expected / Is It Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by Zebedee(m): 5:52pm On Mar 25, 2008
I listened to a documentary lately and discovered the high rate of mobile phone theft in London. There is a high probability of your phone being snatched from your ear and your laptop dragged off your shoulder when you are talking and walking on the street of London. They do this because there is a ready market in Africa. A phone with a chip installed in it was recently traced to Ghana after it was snatched from an ear of a street-walking-talker in London. How come all these do not make the news, even if they do its only for a short while but he little that happens in Nigeria gets the media spotlight? A friend of mine recently visited and after two-weeks in Lagos had to confess that what she heard before her visit, she didn't know she was going to be able to walk the streets of Lagos with her laptop and return home safely.
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by bigfather(m): 11:45pm On Mar 25, 2008
Na their wahala be that ! Yoruba people talk say " atupa o ki ri idi ara e " meaning the lamp does not notice it's own darkside.
So let them say ! Thank God your friend has seen a clear picture. grin
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by bluesky4(f): 11:51pm On Mar 25, 2008
yes its true sha, u can get ur phone jacked very easily,

i remember when i was doing my hair at one hairdressers, and she bought a stolen phone from one dealer, the phone still had the same chip so you can trace the contact numbers on the phone, while the woman was looking through the contact list she found her name and number there, it was one of her friends phone which got stolen.

moral of story, keep ur phones safe, dont flaunt it around, especially if u live in areas like peckham, brixton and co,
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by pahtahkee: 12:18am On Mar 26, 2008
It is not something new. Had been ongoing for a long long while now.
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by ty4real(m): 8:38am On Mar 26, 2008
As far as am concerned that is no news Phone being snatched,havent you heard of missing human beings ,some of which are never found ,some found years after already decayed and it is just their bones that becomes the means of identification,so snatching of phone in London no be any biggie thing oooooo!Just be more extra careful with your accessories when in the public.
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by EloSela(f): 9:04am On Mar 26, 2008
Zebedee:

I listened to a documentary lately and discovered the high rate of mobile phone theft in London. There is a high probability of your phone being snatched from your ear and your laptop dragged off your shoulder when you are talking and walking on the street of London. They do this because there is a ready market in Africa. A phone with a chip installed in it was recently traced to Ghana after it was snatched from an ear of a street-walking-talker in London. How come all these do not make the news, even if they do its only for a short while but he little that happens in Nigeria gets the media spotlight? A friend of mine recently visited and after two-weeks in Lagos had to confess that what she heard before her visit, she didn't know she was going to be able to walk the streets of Lagos with her laptop and return home safely.

Why do people always like to complain about other countries highlighting the injustices in Nigeria by telling them to look at the trouble in their own?

This mobile phone jacking issue is not a new phenomenon and it has already been highly publicized in the press to make people more aware of the crackheads and other lowlifes of society who will do anything to get money for their next fix.

The thing with Nigerians is that they like to hide their own injustices in their country, preferring to highlight the 'Good' and the 'better places' totally ignoring the wrongs thinking that they will somehow solve themselves.

It is not like that in the West.

If you go to the BBC and other UK websites there are loads of articles on of crime and statistics in the Uk. Nigeria should do the same instead of trying to brush it all under the carpet and having a bytch when another country exposes their a$$es for them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/crimewatch/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6906554.stm
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by Zebedee(m): 7:07pm On Apr 14, 2008
The thing with Nigerians is that they like to hide their own injustices in their country, preferring to highlight the 'Good' and the 'better places' totally ignoring the wrongs thinking that they will somehow solve themselves.

It is not like that in the West.

i think you have being brainwashed to think that whatever the west do is for your own good. think and look agin sista
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by lucabrasi(m): 11:27pm On Apr 14, 2008
its very true, i never got phone jacked in all my holidays in nigeria, i was talking on the phone in eltham south london and jamo boy just snatched the phone of my ear and took off round a dark alley,the funny thing was that its a part of london that isnt a hot spot for fone jacking,there was an incident of some boys holding up a nigerian owambe party in ilderton road and collected all their gold and money plus the musicians takings,countless examples
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by EloSela(f): 8:31am On Apr 15, 2008
Zebedee:

i think you have being brainwashed to think that whatever the west do is for your own good. think and look agin sista

No Sir, there is nothing wrong with exposing the ills in society. It is the only way we will know how to combat problems effectively so that progress can be made.

lucabrasi:

its very true, i never got phone jacked in all my holidays in nigeria, i was talking on the phone in eltham south london and jamo boy just snatched the phone of my ear and took off round a dark alley,the funny thing was that its a part of london that isnt a hot spot for phone jacking,there was an incident of some boys holding up a nigerian owambe party in ilderton road and collected all their gold and money plus the musicians takings,countless examples

The boys who held up that party were Nigerian. (If we are talking about the same one) A lady from Sierra Leone was shot in the head while holding her one year old niece.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6353379.stm

Also, given the high number of African immigrants in Eltham, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who jacked your phone was probbaly a Nigerian or maybe a Somalian.
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by Frando29(m): 9:14am On Apr 15, 2008
@ Elo Sela

you are truly brain washed! Now how the hell do you know that those that held up the party were Nigerians? Or are you a law enforcement agent?
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by lucabrasi(m): 2:19pm On Apr 15, 2008
EloSela:

No Sir, there is nothing wrong with exposing the ills in society. It is the only way we will know how to combat problems effectively so that progress can be made.

The boys who held up that party were Nigerian. (If we are talking about the same one) A lady from Sierra Leone was shot in the head while holding her one year old niece.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6353379.stm

Also, given the high number of African immigrants in Eltham, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who jacked your phone was probbaly a Nigerian or maybe a Somalian.

the guy who jacked my phone was jamaican because i was on the bus with him,he was at the back chatting with 2 other guys and when i got down to change for another bus he got down with me but i didnt see anything amiss.
the party im on about wasnt the reported one where the sierra leone woman was killed,but to be honest without being biased i agree that that one im on about was by nigerians and jamaicans,around the south east areas the past couple of years especially woolwich and the surrounding areas there have been a lot of muggings,and even barging into people's houses and robbing them mostly done by a loose group of nigerian boys,anyone living aroung these parts will tell you,i was in a nigerian restaurant december 31,2005 eating around plumstead and as i made to enter the toilet a guy held me up with a gun and took 600 plus pounds off me and breezed out, and i was told later that its rampant not sure if its still happening tho,that last case im 100% sure was nigerian
Re: Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? by kiwibabe(f): 3:30pm On Apr 15, 2008
No one mentioned the happy slapping incident that spread like wild fire in the UK. Stupid idiot children going around, with their mobile phones, slapping people in the name of entertainment. That happened as well.

(1) (Reply)

Introduction Of Nigerian Online Hotel Directory Www.nigerianhotelsng.com / Danger: Bus With Filled Gas Cylinder Carrying Passengers- Pictures / Enquires For US Visiting Visa For Honeymoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.