Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,829 members, 7,828,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 (16105 Views)

9-Year-Old Homeless Girl Feeds Feaces To Baby Of Lady That Rescued Her / Man Returns From Mortuary After Confirmed Dead (PICTURED) / Man Returns To Children He Abandoned For Eight Years (With Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by GraceBestowed(f): 10:37pm On Mar 14, 2013
An internet campaign to raise money for a homeless man who returned a diamond engagement ring to a woman after it fell into his cup has so far raised over $175,000.

As of 1pm this afternoon, over 7,500 people have donated to a fund to reward Kansas resident Billy Ray Harris, with the ever-growing total now well over the equivalent of £100,000.

And the fund could still grow considerably, as there are 72 days to go before the 90-day appeal ends.

The campaign was set up by the fiancé of Sarah Darling, who accidentally dropped her engagement ring into Mr Harris’ cup while giving him spare change.

Mr Harris discovered the ring about an hour after Ms Darling gave him the money and, although he says he knew it was incredibly valuable, he decided to hold on to it, rather than cash it in.

“The ring was so big that I knew if it was real, it was expensive,” Mr Harris told local television station KCTV, before adding that he’d had a hunch the owner would return for it and so decided to keep it safe.

Mr Harris, who usually sleeps under a bridge, said that a distraught Ms Darling returned to him two days later after failing to find him the previous day.

He told KCTV: “She squatted down like you did right there and says ‘Do you remember me?’ And I was like ‘I don’t know, I see a lot of faces’. She says ‘I might have gave you something very valuable’. I said ‘Was it a ring?’ And she says ‘yeah’. And I said ‘Well I have it’

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/12/billy-ray-harris-homeless-man-family-diamond-ring_n_2856031.html

I was, personally, touched whilst reading this story! That ring cost nowhere near the amount of money he's going to be blessed with, everybody wins!! 'Mago-Mago' is never the way, there's nothing wack about being honest!!
(^_^)

20 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by deols(f): 6:57am On Mar 22, 2013
Being honest should have been a normal thing. But in this era it has to be rewarded because trust is now so rare to find.

God bless the man. I hope many others learn from his experience.

10 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by greatgod2012(f): 8:25am On Mar 22, 2013
Who says honesty do not pay, let everyone be honest and see nigeria becoming new and better.
May God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 22, 2013
He's a good man, and the ring owner has already raised over 100k dollars for him. Saw the news last month on CNN
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by vlove1: 2:29pm On Mar 22, 2013
So nice,wish we could all learn a lesson:HONESTY

1 Like

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by sureteeboy(m): 2:30pm On Mar 22, 2013
Those are the kind of peeps we need in nigeria
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by Artistree: 2:31pm On Mar 22, 2013
This is honesty in practice!!!
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by Popowaa: 2:37pm On Mar 22, 2013
God bless will him but hope he wont be regretting it soon.
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by mysticgal(f): 2:39pm On Mar 22, 2013
honesty and kindness pays.the guy was honest to the kind woman.

1 Like

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by Nobody: 2:42pm On Mar 22, 2013
I read the news some weeks back and I was so touched. So honest people still exist out there? Maybe I can renew my faith in humanity.
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by Ama28(f): 2:43pm On Mar 22, 2013
Thats honor dignity and humanitarian heart combined.
This is why I get furious when someone tells me that they steal, engage in prostitution or other social vices because of poverty! He has nothing, yet he didn't steal.

We all have moral values which we can decide to bend to suit our needs!
Imagine people stealing N18million and saying police should release them because they earn N12,000 and politicians steal too.
That's our case scenario!

Thumb up man, you are to be celebrated!

2 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by desh(m): 2:43pm On Mar 22, 2013
Seems honesty relates only to d poor cos rarely do u find d story of a honest rich fellow(specially our dear politicians)

1 Like

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by silverluci(f): 2:44pm On Mar 22, 2013
sureteeboy: Those are the kind of peeps we need in nigeria
Are u honest urself? See pot calling kettle black!
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by ziccoit: 2:45pm On Mar 22, 2013
sureteeboy: Those are the kind of peeps we need in nigeria

We have many of them in Nigeria if you are not one, you had better own up.
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by DrChatNuff: 2:45pm On Mar 22, 2013
Old news
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by Nobody: 2:46pm On Mar 22, 2013
The man dey dense and gullible sha.. Ow I go return dat kind tin.. Lailai!
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by martin1772(m): 2:48pm On Mar 22, 2013
Not in Nigeria, all he will get if its in nigeria is thank you.

1 Like

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by albacete(m): 2:49pm On Mar 22, 2013
that is what i call INTEGRITY. If na some pple, dem go say God don butter their bread because one pastor guy say dem go buy moto dis month even when they have not sown anything, not even a bloody job to keep body and soul together.

1 Like

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:50pm On Mar 22, 2013
It pays 2 be honest
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by konn: 2:51pm On Mar 22, 2013
if engagement ring cost this amount how much will the wedding ring be?
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by Sagytarius(m): 2:54pm On Mar 22, 2013
Abeg, na who go loss him ring, diamond o, silver o or even wooden one sef, make i ep am fain am? Me sef need ppl to dash me moni.
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by TableLeg(m): 2:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
VERY OLD NEWS!
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by GraceBestowed(f): 3:01pm On Mar 22, 2013
I read this story not too long ago, and it, literally, brought tears to my eyes!

It is true, we live in a world where we've had to seek solace in disbelief, and doubting others, so this dude right here deserves what he's getting!

Yes, the news is old, but the moral of the story is timeless!! Plus it's not everyone that watches (or reads) US news regularly.

4 Likes

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by 24elders: 3:02pm On Mar 22, 2013
This honest start within, it is a decision making see what it earn d homeless beggar... kissThis honest start within, it is a decision making see what it earn d homeless beggar...

1 Like

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by bory09(m): 3:02pm On Mar 22, 2013
That one na oyinbo land. For nigeria everything is different, if you mistakenly give an aboki beggar a blackberry before ten minute it don enta market. Almost everybody in nigeria always carries this word for head 'opportunity comes but once' which means no dulling.

1 Like

Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by omaigala(m): 3:02pm On Mar 22, 2013
Popowaa: God bless will him but hope he wont be regretting it soon.
Regret what?
What a phuck are you saying?
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by bory09(m): 3:05pm On Mar 22, 2013
konn: if engagement ring cost this amount how much will the wedding ring be?
can you please diffrentiate between engagement ring and wedding ring mr professor
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by huninaija(f): 3:06pm On Mar 22, 2013
May God bless this man and his future generations to come.. If it was in Nigeria now na different story be that oo
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by MMM2(m): 3:06pm On Mar 22, 2013
God bless him
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 22, 2013
Life is a gamble. U just don't know when and how u gonna hit it. Everybody is just trying his best, so that he won't be counted lazy. D fact is, we all gonna be rich. Our level of patience and recognizing opportunities when we think they are not is our best bet for success
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by kabaka1: 3:19pm On Mar 22, 2013
martin1772: Not in Nigeria, all he will get if its in nigeria is thank you.

...and "God go bless u oh!" lol
Re: Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 by chucky234(m): 3:20pm On Mar 22, 2013
ItsModella: I read the news some weeks back and I was so touched. So honest people still exist out there? Maybe I can renew my faith in humanity.
You must have had too many ugly experiences in the past,at least you can trust me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Advice Needed On Movement Restriction Of Grown Female Children. / Share Your Funny Childhood Behavior / MY FEARS ARE GETTING REAL.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.