Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,595 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister (10266 Views)

What Time Will Batch A Online Registration Be Opened On The 8th? / BREAKING: Corpers Are To Report To Their LG For Headcount Nationwide / FG To Extend NYSC (youth Service) To 2 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by draogtech: 5:58am On Mar 15, 2013
The farms could help revive interest in agriculture among Nigerian youth, the government said.
The Federal Government said on Thursday that it would reopen the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) farms in each state of the federation.
The Minister for youth Development, Inuwa Abdulkadir, said this in an interview in Jos, Plateau State.
Mr. Abdulkadir said that the establishment of the farms would go a long way to complement the existing NYSC Loan Revolving Scheme aimed at engaging the corps members in agriculture
“Year in year out, every batch of the NYSC has been participating. But you know, it’s still a pilot programme but we intend to expand and re-open NSYC farms across the country and utilise them.
“This is going to be in partnership with the state governments and the Bank of Agriculture and the Small and Medium Scale Development Agency of Nigeria.
“The whole idea is to expose them to agro business enterprise so that at the end of the day, they can become self-employed or even employers,” he said.
According to him, once the youth are involved in agriculture, it will be of immense benefit to the nation as it will create employment opportunities and boost the economy.
“When they are in multiples the nation stands to benefit, because we will have more people involved in agriculture and that will boost the economy.
“The most concrete thing we are thinking of doing and we will start soon, is this partnership with the Development Bank to boost agriculture and to encourage young persons to go into agro-business from production, to processing, to marketing,” he said.
The minister said he was optimistic that the current drive at making agriculture attractive and lucrative to the youth would reduce the rate of unemployment in Nigeria.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/124835-nigeria-to-reopen-nysc-farms-nationwide-says-youth-minister.html

5 Likes

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by konn: 10:23am On Mar 15, 2013
good idea it will end the unending thirst for white collar jobs and make people independent
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by KingSadeeq(m): 10:24am On Mar 15, 2013
Okay.brb
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Nobody: 10:26am On Mar 15, 2013
A very good move I must say, if implemented
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by daywatcher: 10:29am On Mar 15, 2013
my oga at the top likes it

1 Like

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by vizboy(m): 10:29am On Mar 15, 2013
Nice move by the FG
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by mikedore: 10:29am On Mar 15, 2013
gud idea but it shuld also be introduce at d secondary sch and univ.

1 Like

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Morgan1092(m): 10:31am On Mar 15, 2013
Welcom development if dia wud b available loan afterwards 4 ppl dat hav interest.
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by donsola(m): 10:36am On Mar 15, 2013
Daz all....
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by ajos(m): 10:36am On Mar 15, 2013
farms should accomodate agricultural and allied courses graduates...and not an electrical engineer abi banker,lawyer,journalist e.t.c graduate...agric,zoology,botany,aquatic corpers e.t.c can go to the farm
medical related corpers....hospital
education corpers....schools
banking corpers....banks
telecom engineerin corpers..network
law corpers...chambers/court
mass comn corpers...media
and d rest correspond to their field
as a corper when u serve in ur field u improve with better experience to ur carrier and not been confuse with irregular services...many corpers cnt secure a job as a result of lack of workin experience due to wrong corper servin in wrong field...NYSC program shul help and not divert carriers
sumtimes NYSC mess up ur carrier line...
i for scrap NYSC but MY OGA AT THE TOP wul say sumtin diffrent...dats al

8 Likes

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Nobody: 10:38am On Mar 15, 2013
Will the farms be adequately mechanized, or are they using hoe and cutlass?

1 Like

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 15, 2013
ajos: farms should accomodate agricultural and allied courses graduates...and not an electrical engineer abi banker,lawyer,journalist e.t.c graduate...sumtimes NYSC mess up ur carrier line...
Don't Engineers and Accountants work in big farms?Unless you haven't seen one yet.Though i won't blame you cause farming is not a common business in Nigeria.A complete farm(Mechanized) can employ virtually every field including the Journalist you mentioned in their Advertising and Public Relations Department.A visit to Ota farms will enlighten you better

9 Likes

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by slap1(m): 10:43am On Mar 15, 2013
After increasing the allowee, the corpers have to work their azz out, of course.. .but make them increase am first.
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Orpelin: 10:44am On Mar 15, 2013
issokay
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Okijajuju1(m): 10:48am On Mar 15, 2013
[b]Re-brand NYSC ..

Replace it with what Governor Oyakhilome of Rivers State did way back. the ever brilliant SCHOOL-TO-LAND programme.

The government can tweak it to involve other areas, but that programme was brilliant. NYSC members can serve in farming programmes all over the country. Build big industrial farms. Backed with proper funding and university research, hybrid seeds can be created, hybrid livestocks as well. Nigeria can become an exporting country. The corp members get to learn first hand the intricacies of farming. It can be divided into different branches such as Cassava farming, Plantain, poultry, pigry, e.t.c. Each corp member gets to pick 2 or three and spend a minimum of 3 - 4 months on each farm learning everything from farming to book-keeping to distribution and also storage.. In the end, the resultant agricultural revolution would be amazing. Even the NYSC could end up beimng a self sustaining body from the realization of sales of produce they get Nationwide.[/b]

10 Likes

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by SlyIg(f): 10:52am On Mar 15, 2013
I would have said, let MTN sponsor NYSC so that there will be no service again but my oga at the top may come to say another thing.
Thats all!

1 Like

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 15, 2013
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Tmex(m): 11:00am On Mar 15, 2013
Nice one from our government but something tells me its just their normal blabering propaganda,but all the same if well implemented is enough to save this coutry
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by kagari: 11:06am On Mar 15, 2013
Did my oga at d top really say dis? "Thinkingmydamnheadout" angry
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by neupert(m): 11:06am On Mar 15, 2013
Time will tell................
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Nobody: 11:12am On Mar 15, 2013
eh, very good..oga at the top is really thinking.
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by greatgod2012(f): 11:17am On Mar 15, 2013
May God help them,
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by winkay: 11:18am On Mar 15, 2013
If it is well handle and the Nigeria factor(s) is/are take away, it will go a long way to reduce issues of un-employment....... Welcome idea
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by negbenebor(f): 11:22am On Mar 15, 2013
I dont like the idea o,why not oil nw

1 Like

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by Intrepid1(m): 11:25am On Mar 15, 2013
The main problem with this initiative is how to get Nigerian graduates to get off their high horses and forget about working in Shell and KPMG and into the farms. Sadly a lot of Nigerians are too enamored with the easy lane and consider some jobs, which have made people millionaires the world over, beneath them. If I can access a loan on decent terms, I am out of this office and setting up a livestock and cash crop farm sharpish!

5 Likes

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by rapmike(m): 11:30am On Mar 15, 2013
ajos: farms should accomodate agricultural and allied courses graduates...and not an electrical engineer abi banker,lawyer,journalist e.t.c graduate...sumtimes NYSC mess up ur carrier line...
SO ITS ONLY STUDENTS OF AGRICULTURAL COURSES DAT SHOULD GO 2 FARM ABI? Oda disciplines dnt hv intelligent minds 2 revolutionise d agric sector in d country? It is ppl lyke u dat should nt mess everi1. Did everi1 who is rich in biz go 2 skul 2 read smting relatd 2 biz? I wil say dat any1 and everi1 dat is interestd should tap into it. I 4 one wil do so,i jst hope dat politicians wil nt cum and rig it as they hv done 2 everi developmental project in d country?,dat is if NYSC eventually does it

1 Like

Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by franca30(f): 11:32am On Mar 15, 2013
9ce one sha
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by ProfessorPeter(m): 11:37am On Mar 15, 2013
Will this stop the importation of foreign agro products in d country? Another talk talk.
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by trix1: 11:40am On Mar 15, 2013
Okija_juju: [b]Re-brand NYSC ..

Replace it with what Governor Oyakhilome of Rivers State did way back. the ever brilliant SCHOOL-TO-LAND programme.

The government can tweak it to involve other areas, but that programme was brilliant. NYSC members can serve in farming programmes all over the country. Build big industrial farms. Backed with proper funding and university research, hybrid seeds can be created, hybrid livestocks as well. Nigeria can become an exporting country. The corp members get to learn first hand the intricacies of farming. It can be divided into different branches such as Cassava farming, Plantain, poultry, pigry, e.t.c. Each corp member gets to pick 2 or three and spend a minimum of 3 - 4 months on each farm learning everything from farming to book-keeping to distribution and also storage.. In the end, the resultant agricultural revolution would be amazing. Even the NYSC could end up beimng a self sustaining body from the realization of sales of produce they get Nationwide.[/b]

You never ever lack words to pour on this forum, some times they make lots of sense like this one, some times they are hilarious and of course other times they are just plains lies and contradictions. [s]BTW how come you graduated at least 10yrs ago and only got married recently[/s]
Re: Farms To Be Opened Nationwide For NYSC - Youth Minister by TYdot862(m): 11:41am On Mar 15, 2013
This is a brilliant move by FG, this will help to reduced the rate of unemployment after NYSC. I just hope, it won't be a normal talk on papers...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cross Country's Transportation Fare To Camp Location / Edo Straight / I Haven't Spoken On NYSC Saga, Statement Not From Me - Musawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.