Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,893 members, 7,863,065 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:09 AM

Pope's Childhood Sweetheart Rejected His Marriage Proposal - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope's Childhood Sweetheart Rejected His Marriage Proposal (500 Views)

Mbaka: "Why I Rejected Jonathan’s Dollars" / A Muslim Guy Rejected The New N100 Note / Pope’s Childhood Sweetheart Stunned, Says Never Expected Him To Be Pope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pope's Childhood Sweetheart Rejected His Marriage Proposal by BlackPeni5: 8:53am On Mar 15, 2013
Every disappointment is a blessing...

The new Pope’s childhood sweetheart revealed yesterday how she helped him become a priest – by rejecting his marriage proposal.

Amalia Damonte, 77, says she spurned Jorge Bergoglio, 76 when he popped the question at the tender age of 12 because her parents did not think that much of him.

She said it was 1948 or 1949 when the young son of Italian immigrants slipped a love letter in her hand.

She was speaking outside the house she grew up in, four doors down from the former childhood home of Pope Francis where he lived with his mother and railway worker father in Buenos Aires.

Amalia said: “He wrote me a letter telling me that one day he would like to marry me.

“He said that if I didn’t say yes, he would have to become a priest. Luckily for him, I said no!”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pope-francis-proposed-childhood-sweetheart-1764744

(1) (Reply)

2.5% READY FOR The Lord Jesus? / Flee From The Wrath Of God / Rhapsody On The Go.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.