Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,624 members, 7,816,568 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud (17264 Views)

University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism / Lagos Demotes 4 Principals, 3 VPs, Others / Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by illuminaty(m): 1:09pm On Mar 16, 2013
Dr. Wise:
That one legged Udoinyang is the greatest joke ever in the academia. How can that clown be addressed as a professor of Accounting? It is indeed a mockery of that academic title (prof).
.strongly SECONDED.....GBAM!!!
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by emmiesky(m): 1:29pm On Mar 16, 2013
Their sins are finally catching up with them. These are lecturers who go all out to victimize students. Most especially those of the accounting department. Those who graduated from faculty of management science in UNICAL should know better. After them go d form SOCRATES. Them no see Dr P K Bissong?
I thank d OGA'S AT THE TOP for a job well done.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by free2ryhme: 1:36pm On Mar 16, 2013
even a prof shocked shocked shocked
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Nobody: 1:44pm On Mar 16, 2013
emmiesky: Their sins are finally catching up with them. These are lecturers who go all out to victimize students. Most especially those of the accounting department. Those who graduated from faculty of management science in UNICAL should know better. After them go d form SOCRATES. Them no see Dr P K Bissong?
I thank d OGA'S AT THE TOP for a job well done.

Efiok, Akabom, Bassey Bassey, Charles Effiong, Udoinyang and another joker Igboism are all nitwits. Whoever employed those guys must be out of his mind.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by jikjimmy: 1:46pm On Mar 16, 2013
Am so happy abt ds.funny enough dt Prof.Udouang ws in my MBA class jst last week parading himself everywhere as a Prof & Dean of d faculty.D man is so empty.imagine a prof of accounting who ws unable pass PE1 ICAN level after many yrs of trial b4 he abandoned it 4 cheap ANAN.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by CohenJane: 1:47pm On Mar 16, 2013
omonija2000: plagiarism is a serious offence in academic.lecturers should beware

No, lectures should have known better.

in saner climes, you are expelled for plagiarism
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Patsey: 2:07pm On Mar 16, 2013
[b]This is a very WELCOME step taken by the University of Calabar. The majority of Nigerian academics in Nigerian universities write shoddy papers or articles that would fail undergraduate essay assessments in European and North American universities. They then publish such shady works in dodgy journals and on the basis of such publications, secure academic appointments and promotions in State, Federal and private Nigerian universities. Here is a list of such fraudulent journals: http://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/

Many also publish their undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations as books with vanity presses such as Lambert Academic Publishing which also operates under the name of VDM Verlag and a host of others. It's a shame that Universities of Nigeria, Ibadan, Lagos, Ilorin and OAU as well as countless others have their academic staff publishing shoddy works with these vanity presses and journals. The Nigeria education system has truly gone to the dogs!

The way forward is to insist that Nigerian academics publish exclusively in A* - C rated journals housed with publishers such as Taylor & Francis, Elsevier, Springer as well as Journals published by leading University Presses in UK, other Western European countries, USA, Canada, Australia and South Africa. Period. Nigerian University Presses, in terms of peer-review integrity, are stone-dead.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by nke001: 2:16pm On Mar 16, 2013
So so sad! They cant play the game.

Dont they know that they have to 1st see d oga @ d top!
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by ninja4life(m): 2:22pm On Mar 16, 2013
Its really saddening dat d lecturers dat ought to build d leaders of tomorrow are intellectually and morally bankrupt and dey will also be among dose criticising d president and governors wen dey can't even give deir quota to d development of d country as if dats not enough dey will go abt victimising student and dey will attend class seldomly giving loads of problems to students to solve may God save us dis goes to show dat not only nigerian leaders are nigeria's problem but d SYSTEM with our leaders (political,religious,educational etc) contributing to d already rotten system
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by CohenJane: 2:33pm On Mar 16, 2013
eagle,eye:
I believe those guys who go to the Literature section to steal stories will now begin to understand how serious Plagiarism is.
DO NOT STEAL OTHER PEOPLES WORK, IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE.

Going to the literature section to copy is not wrong provided you do the right thing, which is make reference but to steal like you put it is ...

Now, there are some assignments you are given that your lecture would not want to hear your voice at all, your opinion does not count, and sometiimes they range between 3000 to 3500 words, so what would you do? The lecturer expects you to contact Journals and other publish works on the subject or topic (some will even tell you the number of Journals or published works they want, could be up to 10).

So, this is how you go about it: according to Okupe (2013) granting amnesty or pardon to a convicted thief is not be wrong...
or like this; granting amnesty or pardon to a convicted thief is not be wrong...(Okupe, 2013)
It could also be like this; Okupe (2013 cited in eagle-eye, 2010) was of the opinion that granting amnesty or pardon to a convicted thief is not be wrong...

By so doing, you can never be charged for plagiarism. But for a PhD to have been accused to have plagiarised call to question his/her certificate.

But do you know that people contract PhD thesis out in this country? I have handled one before (confession)
or;
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Orikinla(m): 2:42pm On Mar 16, 2013
These are not the only ones. Majority of Nigerian lecturers should be teaching seconday school pupils and not good enough to teach in universities.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by IlajeOmuro: 2:57pm On Mar 16, 2013
There are still many plagiarists in that University. I have evidence of self plagiarism for two other Lecturers, Professor Celestine Bassey and Dr. Felix Akpan. The two are of Political Science Department. They reproduce the same material word for word in two different journals under different titles. This is a crime in the academic system. You can search for and read these two articles online: "Mainstreaming Peace and Security in the Niger Delta: Resource Control, Ethnic nationalism and Conflict Cessation in a Turbulent System", and "The politics of Resource Control in Nigeria". The first paper was published by Global Journal of Human Social Science in it Volume 12 Issue 6, while the second appeared in European Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 27, No. 2. The two lecturers may even be on the panel that ttried the case of the dismissed lecturers. We must sanitise this system.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by realitychick: 2:58pm On Mar 16, 2013
Hmn,,,,this is serious,not only lectures,students are involved in this practice,
imagine a student being asked to submit project topics for Approval,first thing,he visits his departmental library,picks old project topic submitted by previous students as soon as one is approved, the next tin is to COPY AND PASTE,,,,only the Name,matric number and year changes.
How far can we go frm here.Only few are ready to Research and come up with new ideas,
majority of the students only study to pass and just want to graduate in order to bear the title GRADUATE!!!.Most cannot give a Vivid definitionof their Course of Study.
Really Pathetic,Its just a Circle of events.
Kudos to University of Calabar,MY ALMA MATER.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by scobaba: 2:59pm On Mar 16, 2013
Hmmm dat Dr Doctor Illoeje, I hope he's not related to my classmate N. Illoeje in FGC IKOM Cross river state. Cos na hands falling.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by IlajeOmuro: 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2013
When you quote verbatim the words of an author, you must put those words in quotation mark and reference it appropriately, including the page number where the quote appears. However if it is the idea that is being paraphrased, there is no need to insert quotation mark but the idea, nevertheless must be referenced, though there wouldn't be need to cite the page reference.
CohenJane:

Going to the literature section to copy is not wrong provided you do the right thing, which is make reference but to steal like you put it is ...

Now, there are some assignments you are given that your lecture would not want to hear your voice at all, your opinion does not count, and sometiimes they range between 3000 to 3500 words, so what would you do? The lecturer expects you to contact Journals and other publish works on the subject or topic (some will even tell you the number of Journals or published works they want, could be up to 10).

So, this is how you go about it: according to Okupe (2013) granting amnesty or pardon to a convicted thief is not be wrong...
or like this; granting amnesty or pardon to a convicted thief is not be wrong...(Okupe, 2013)
It could also be like this; Okupe (2013 cited in eagle-eye, 2010) was of the opinion that granting amnesty or pardon to a convicted thief is not be wrong...

By so doing, you can never be charged for plagiarism. But for a PhD to have been accused to have plagiarised call to question his/her certificate.

But do you know that people contract PhD thesis out in this country? I have handled one before (confession)
or;

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Policewoman(f): 3:15pm On Mar 16, 2013
Even in uniport and rsust. Dem plenty wey dey steal oda pple work. Chronic Plagiarists.

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Enoquin(f): 3:19pm On Mar 16, 2013
jikjimmy: Am so happy abt ds.funny enough dt Prof.Udouang ws in my MBA class jst last week parading himself everywhere as a Prof & Dean of d faculty.D man is so empty.imagine a prof of accounting who ws unable pass PE1 ICAN level after many yrs of trial b4 he abandoned it 4 cheap ANAN.

Sorry, does the Prof. Udoinyang put on glasses and does he have a limp? I am trying to recollect his face. Guess that's why pgdm didn't have lectures yesterevening, twas supposed to be accounting and he is one of our lecturers.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 16, 2013
Enoquin:

Sorry, does the Prof. Udoinyang put on glasses and does he have a limp? I am trying to recollect his face. Guess that's why pgdm didn't have lectures yesterevening, twas supposed to be accounting and he is one of our lecturers.

Yes. The guy is one-legged. He knows next to nothing as far as I'm concerned.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by CohenJane: 3:27pm On Mar 16, 2013
Ilaje Omuro: There are still many plagiarists in that University. I have evidence of self plagiarism for two other Lecturers, Professor Celestine Bassey and Dr. Felix Akpan. The two are of Political Science Department. They reproduce the same material word for word in two different journals under different titles. This is a crime in the academic system. You can search for and read these two articles online: "Mainstreaming Peace and Security in the Niger Delta: Resource Control, Ethnic nationalism and Conflict Cessation in a Turbulent System", and "The politics of Resource Control in Nigeria". The first paper was published by Global Journal of Human Social Science in it Volume 12 Issue 6, while the second appeared in European Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 27, No. 2. The two lecturers may even be on the panel that ttried the case of the dismissed lecturers. We must sanitise this system.

this man at convenant university, AKINYELE Samuel Taiwo, an example of what you have just described above. See list below:

(1) STRATEGIC MARKETING AND FIRMS PERFORMANCE: A STUDY OF NIGERIAN OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY (http://www.saycocorporativo.com/saycoUK/BIJ/journal/Vol4No2/Article_8.pdf)

(2) Strategic Marketing Strategies on the Performance of Firms in Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry Akinyele, Samuel Taiwo (Journal of Emerging Trends in Economics and Management Sciences (JETEMS) 1 (1): 23-36
© Scholarlink Research Institute Journals, 2010
jetems.scholarlinkresearch.org; http://jetems.scholarlinkresearch.org/articles/Strategic%20Marketing%20Strategies%20on%20the%20Performance%20of%20Firms%20in%20Nigerian%20oil%20and%20gas%20Industry.pdf)

(3)Strategic Marketing: A Panacea for Success of Nigerian oil and Gas Industry

Global Journal of Management And Business Research
Volume 11 Issue 2
Type: Double Blind Peer Reviewed International Research Journal
Publisher: Global Journals Inc. (USA)Version 1.0 February 2011; http://globaljournals.org/GJMBR_Volume11/10_Strategic_Marketing_A_Panacea_for_Success_of_Nigerian_oil_and_Gas_Industry.pdf)

(4) STRATEGIC MARKETING PRACTICES ON THE PERFORMANCE OF FIRMS IN NIGERIAN OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY (Journal of Business and Organizational Development, Volume 2, September 2010, 2010 Cenresin Publications
www.cenresin.org; http://www.cenresinpub.org/strategic.pdf)

(5) Strategic Marketing and Firms Performance: A Study of Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry 303
Akinyele, S.T.(http://ebs.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/BIJ-Vol4No2-July2011.pdf; Business Intelligence Journal
July, 2011 Vol.4 No.2; Volume 4 - Number 2 - July 2011 - Semiannual Publication)

Did you notice the semantics.

I have read all the journals above, they are all the same
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by abbeybanks(m): 3:39pm On Mar 16, 2013
The lecturers should not take the wipes alone because some persons/committee vented after their works was published. so I think oil should still be found in the cloths of other persons
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
This can only happen in my Alma mater, the Great Republic of Malabor. I remember how 2 Professors we sacked disgracefully from my department those days. Anyone who successfully graduates from Unical is always a shining example, cos we did not just pass through the university, the university passed through us too. Unlike Unilag that produces so many Ogas on Top-like mediocres.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Machine007: 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2013
UNICAL leads others should follow. They were once at the TOP. I don't knw what to say and my oga at the top will say another.Great Malabits Freash air datz all
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Phikom(m): 4:16pm On Mar 16, 2013
omonija2000: plagiarism is a serious offence in academic.lecturers should beware
academics.....what a shame....so called academicians found defaulting the rule of plagiarism
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by kinguwem: 4:28pm On Mar 16, 2013
What do you expect from block heads who are lecturers because the labour market is saturated. Research requires a lot of funding & colaboration with sponsors & donor agencies. A lot of nigerian academics including professors are just white collar lecturers who have not done any reasonable research work. With this kind of people, nigeria cannot develop technologically.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by johnwell(m): 4:37pm On Mar 16, 2013
Dr. Wise:
That one legged Udoinyang is the greatest joke ever in the academia. How can that clown be addressed as a professor of Accounting? It is indeed a mockery of that academic title (prof).

this udoinyang of a man is a devil; DEVIL - D = EVIL, there is nothing good about him, even his name is evil. The english translation of his name (udoinyang) is "second son of the sea" , can you imagine?
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by samilo88(m): 4:43pm On Mar 16, 2013
I used to think that publishing a paper was easy until my supervisor and I decided to publish one in a reputable journal last year. It was hell of a task, too many scrutiny from highly placed professional in that field and a lot of adjustment which we had to do before the work was accepted for publication. My point is if all our so called lecturers underwent such scrutiny of their works in reputable journals before it was published, I guess we wouldn't have the number of profs and doctors which we have today. The average nigerian lecturer doesn't bother about making research and won't think it necessary to go the extra mile to publish a paper. I commend UNICAL for taking a tough action against this academic cancer which is even a worse offense than piracy. I think NUC should deliberate on adding a jail term to anyone caught in this dirty act as this would serve as a deterrent to others. Other institutions should follow this step and not just be too quick to confer someone with a professorship without checking their publications.

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by djunior(m): 4:57pm On Mar 16, 2013
ogasir2011: That goes to show the decadence in our Educational Sector.

And these will be be the same Lecturers that might Victimize Student during their Projects
Dr okpiliya and Dr afangideh were my lecturers in unical . Those men are criminals, if you are a beautiful girl and you refused to sleep with them, you will not graduate.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by babanne(m): 5:02pm On Mar 16, 2013
cant agree less. As someone in academics i knw what it takes to carry out a reseach & publish your findings in a reputable local & especially international journal. Also, its not a joke to bag a phd especially in a field such as engineering. It requires a lot of hard work & sleepless night.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Nobody: 5:14pm On Mar 16, 2013
johnwell:

this udoinyang of a man is a devil; DEVIL - D = EVIL, there is nothing good about him, even his name is evil. The english translation of his name (udoinyang) is "second son of the sea" , can you imagine?
So whats evil about Sea ? Cos I know there is nothing evil about 'second son'.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by johnwell(m): 5:26pm On Mar 16, 2013
Billyonaire: So whats evil about Sea ? Cos I know there is nothing evil about 'second son'.
2nd son of the sea; (consider marine spirit)
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Prestonvic(m): 5:49pm On Mar 16, 2013
All in Faculty of Arts?
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Emperor5c(m): 5:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
Some lecturers are so daft that they even copy student's work. not minding if the student actually copied from a hitherto work without citing appropriate reference.
Its quite unsavoury

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anambra Leads In Common Entrance Exam 2017 / Brain Teaser To Test Your Mental Sharpness / Appealing The Refusal Of A British Student Visa: Intricacies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.