Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud (17263 Views)

University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism / Lagos Demotes 4 Principals, 3 VPs, Others / Oshiomhole Fires 41 School Inspectors, Demotes Principal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by skidos4u(m): 5:56pm On Mar 16, 2013
dats a gud 1 frm my almamater. d search light shld focus again on sexual harasmnt by some lecturers eps in maths stat dept whr mr Egong, i dnt knw if he is a Dr now cos a left in 2005; he was using his office as both bedroom n office. alot of malabress wu pass tru him ve a biter story 2 tel abt him. d man was or is a big drap 4 ladies wu take der elective frm dat dept esp dos in social sciences n mgt sciences. d worst was dat ladies of a truth dnt lik or knw maths, so it was easy 4 him 2 lord it over dem rit in his office. sum ppl said his case was a curse. let d council focus @ dat angle n c if half of dos lecturer wil not go.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Pee2k3: 5:57pm On Mar 16, 2013
In academic world there is no space for laziness so guys situp
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by FutureDon(m): 6:08pm On Mar 16, 2013
skidos4u: dats a gud 1 frm my almamater. d search light shld focus again on sexual harasmnt by some lecturers eps in maths stat dept whr mr Egong, i dnt knw if he is a Dr now cos a left in 2005; he was using his office as both bedroom n office. alot of malabress wu pass tru him ve a biter story 2 tel abt him. d man was or is a big drap 4 ladies wu take der elective frm dat dept esp dos in social sciences n mgt sciences. d worst was dat ladies of a truth dnt lik or knw maths, so it was easy 4 him 2 lord it over dem rit in his office. sum ppl said his case was a curse. let d council focus @ dat angle n c if half of dos lecturer wil not go.

I tried severally to read this, but it doesn't just make any sense to me. I'm genuinely mystified by your use of shorthand. I'm sure other UNICAL grads would be disappointed in you right now. No need to attack me verbally as I had no intention of doing so.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Orikinla(m): 6:10pm On Mar 16, 2013
Many students dub the projects of others from other institutions.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Reference(m): 6:31pm On Mar 16, 2013
Corruption is hard-wired into the average Nigerian psyche. Only politics gets publicity.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Abas85: 7:12pm On Mar 16, 2013
I tink b4 a lecturer wants 2 publish any material he or she shd 1st of all make sure dt dt work is a unique one,nw dy a disgracing themselves,most of dm a d 1nce dt victimize students d most,dy cum 2 class wt notes and texts,dy cnt teach wtot materials
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by 5much(m): 7:26pm On Mar 16, 2013
Thumbs up for uni cal.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by hardbody: 7:56pm On Mar 16, 2013
CohenJane:

No, lectures should have known better.

in saner climes, you are expelled for plagiarism

I am sure they reviewed their cases and dealt with them in line with the circumstances. It was in my first year in year 1987 that prof Pruitt was sacked for plagiarism, his wife was then teaching us use of English in GSS. I remain proud to be associated with this no nonsense university. It was the only university in my days that will advise you to withdraw if you fail three out of five courses and that includes carry overs. Sadly with the decadence in academics, it has become near blurred to determine the wheat from the chaffs in terms of core academic achievements and people just fall back on names rather than achievements.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by langdon: 8:13pm On Mar 16, 2013
Am glad that in nigeria plagiarism is punishable! No one, I mean no one has the rigth to another's intellectual property unless credit is given to the writer
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by calcal: 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2013
one can't imagine what is going on in the engineering departments - all na copy-cat since we have no base for any research work in order to produce publication.

I never see one Calabary-man wey no dey lie.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Nobody: 8:30pm On Mar 16, 2013
A good development from UNICAL. While others may see this as a negative situation, I see light in it. Discipline such as this is what is needed in our educational system. How I wish GEJ can follow in their footstep rather than granting pardon to confirmed criminals!
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Jceazer12(m): 12:45am On Mar 17, 2013
To my greatest suprise the department of business management was not listed...kudos though dere are some crook in dere.Those accounting lecturers are born wicked...Mr akabon can't even complete a sentence in enlish language and his a Dr.Abeg make una flush dem out six years without promotion and also return cash dat were excessively paid to them,na wao....student don suffer because na student go pay that money through sorting.God bless Unical.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Cmeo(m): 1:29am On Mar 17, 2013
See lecturers of schools who claim to be better than Polytechnics... grin grin grin grin
They have only been better on false and fake claims. shocked shocked shocked
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by tadeola1: 5:19am On Mar 17, 2013
Patsey: [b]This is a very WELCOME step taken by the University of Calabar. The majority of Nigerian academics in Nigerian universities write shoddy papers or articles that would fail undergraduate essay assessments in European and North American universities. They then publish such shady works in dodgy journals and on the basis of such publications, secure academic appointments and promotions in State, Federal and private Nigerian universities. Here is a list of such fraudulent journals: http://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/

Many also publish their undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations as books with vanity presses such as Lambert Academic Publishing which also operates under the name of VDM Verlag and a host of others. It's a shame that Universities of Nigeria, Ibadan, Lagos, Ilorin and OAU as well as countless others have their academic staff publishing shoddy works with these vanity presses and journals. The Nigeria education system has truly gone to the dogs!

The way forward is to insist that Nigerian academics publish exclusively in A* - C rated journals housed with publishers such as Taylor & Francis, Elsevier, Springer as well as Journals published by leading University Presses in UK, other Western European countries, USA, Canada, Australia and South Africa. Period. Nigerian University Presses, in terms of peer-review integrity, are stone-dead.[/b]

Thanks for the insight.You definitely studied abroad.i was surprised to see my undergraduate thesis published by my supervisor in one Pakistan journal.The paper had only 2 reference from Cisco website.I was so surprised who reviewed that work.The paper cannot even fly as course work overhere in uk
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by tempoegovin: 9:20am On Mar 17, 2013
This issue should be re investigated, a lecturer like DR Damian Agom is a very decent disciplinarian and does not deserve this humiliation.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Smartwave: 9:37am On Mar 17, 2013
illuminaty: Of all d names mentioned......na DR E.S akpan aka BUSH swit me pass...d man wus a thorn in my flesh during my project year....we used 2 b good friends bt all of a sudden,d man began 2 hate me witt so much passion.he made me ♓αvﻉ an xtra year.my aunty who works in unical begged him,so did my mum who came down from lagos.....all fell on deaf ears....MR MAN,GOD has reali xposed you.n GOD will continually punish you. u will LIVE 2 see me make it in dis life.mark my words.
you are neither a muslim nor christian, you are not even a pagan. Everybody can see ur weakness now. Only a fool happy at someone down fall. What happy to fuel subsidy thieves and ur bro in aso villa
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by josite: 3:45pm On Mar 17, 2013
was once an academic and 2 years down the line i lost every interest in pursuing a phd or attaining a professorship cus of the large number of idiots i met with the label dr or prof.
In nigeria we hav professors who has nothing but mediocrity to profess and can only profess about who is sleeping with who within the faculty.THE appointment and promotions committe of unical itself should be questioned ,are they not supposed to verify claims before awarding promotions?.

ONE lecturer now a full prof set up the publication of one funny journal and the virgin academic that i was ,submitted an article which was never published because i refuse to fulfil the prof demand for money to publish the journal .he is still there professinG.LOL
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Smartwave: 3:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
Burger01: .. For 'plagiarism'..that's a serious offense. Btw, what of the CBN Governor LSL plagiarism issues? Any decisive action taken against him?.... sad
above d law
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by NosaHenry(m): 7:21pm On Mar 17, 2013
I am shocked that there is a Nigerian university that can do this. Big kudos to unical

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Rusau: 6:41am On Mar 18, 2013
Dr. Wise:
Demotes 10 others

The Governing Council of the University of Calabar has announced the dismissal of five of its academic staff and the demotion of 10 others.

A release issued by the Secretary to the Council and Registrar of the Institution, Dr. (Mrs.) Julia Omang and made available to The Nation in Calabar on Friday, disclosed that four of the dismissed academic staff were involved in plagiarism while one was a case of financial fraud.

The release also added that the 10 academic staff that were demoted chose to publish their works in fake or cloned journals and proceeded to submit same and obtained promotion in the process.

Those that were dismissed for outright plagiarism are, Dr. Azubuike Iloeje and Dr. Maurice Bisong of the Department of English and Literary Studies, Mr. Oden Ubi of the Department of Marketing and Dr. Paulinus Noah of the Department of Linguistics and Communication Studies.

According to the release, Dr. Damian Agom was dismissed for salary overpayment, thereby enriching himself to the tone of N7, 268,044. 95 over a period of 11 months.

The demoted lecturers are – Prof. Udoayang, Dr. Asuquo Akabom, Dr. Sunday Effiong and Dr. C. O. Udoka, all of Accounting Department, Prof. Molinta Enendu Department of Theatre and Media Studies and Dr. E.S.Akpan of Banking and Finance

Also demoted are – Dr. A.I. Afangideh and Dr. Francis Okpiliya of the Department of Geography and Environment Science and Dr. K.B.C Ashipu of the Department of English and Literary Studies.

Professors Udoayang and Enendu were demoted to the rank of senior lecturer, while Dr. Okpiliya, Dr. Afangideh and Dr. Ashipu have now moved down to position of lecturer 1.

Besides their demotion, they are to refund all monies earned from their unmerited promotion and barred from promotion for the next six years, the release stated.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news-update/unical-dismisses-five-lecturers/
They should be also under close watch as they will be exploiting and victimizing student any how.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by charlezslow(m): 11:22am On Mar 22, 2013
The case of those lecturers is a case of supremacy in the university political system,Dr Akabom,Dr Sunday Effiong are among the best of lecturers have come across most especially Prof Udoinyang who is just a victim of the situation at hand. That man is a father and a father shall he remain, he is one of the best Lecturer in the Department of Accounting have come across during my B.Sc, PGDM and MBA days in University of Calabar which many can testify to this. Please take note they were never demoted for plagiarism, but fail to publish their own work in a recognised journal. If the university want to fight plagiarism let them scrutinise every individual M.Sc Thesis and Ph.D dissertation of every Ph.D holder awarded by University of Calabar.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by illuminaty(m): 11:29am On Apr 23, 2013
Smartwave: you are neither a muslim nor christian, you are not even a pagan. Everybody can see ur weakness now. Only a fool happy at someone down fall. What happy to fuel subsidy thieves and ur bro in aso villa
eh ya....I fill sorry for dem oooo just like d way dey felt sorry for me..hapi nw
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by illuminaty(m): 4:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
Nairalanders.....surprisingly mr akpan bush is on dis forum n I just heard he's about 2 sue sum1 on dis thread for saying d truth bout him ooooo......heheheheheh.dis man is seriously jobless.no 1 is d cause of ur misfortune oda dan urself.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Nobody: 8:22am On Apr 26, 2013
illuminaty: Nairalanders.....surprisingly mr akpan bush is on dis forum n I just heard he's about 2 sue sum1 on dis thread for saying d truth bout him ooooo......heheheheheh.dis man is seriously jobless.no 1 is d cause of ur misfortune oda dan urself.

He can't do jack! Let him go and deal with his frustrations alone. He's a criminal and a cheat.
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
Has Bush not concluded plans to sue yet?
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Deprince12(m): 1:49pm On Nov 17, 2019
[quote author=IlajeOmuro post=14784965]There are still many plagiarists in that University. I have evidence of self plagiarism for two other Lecturers, Professor Celestine Bassey and Dr. Felix Akpan. The two are of Political Science Department. They reproduce the same material word for word in two different journals under different titles. This is a crime in the academic system. You can search for and read these two articles online: "Mainstreaming Peace and Security in the Niger Delta: Resource Control, Ethnic nationalism and Conflict Cessation in a Turbulent System", and "The politics of Resource Control in Nigeria". The first paper was published by Global Journal of Human Social Science in it Volume 12 Issue 6, while the second appeared in European Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 27, No. 2. The two lecturers may even be on the panel that ttried the case of the dismissed lecturers. We must sanitise this system.

Well if this is true then am very sure that its not possible that Prof Bassey copy Felix Akpan. So your guess is as good as mine
Re: UNICAL Sacks 4 Lecturers And Demotes 10 For Plagiarism And Fraud by Raylight2(m): 4:34pm On Nov 17, 2019
Demotes 10 others

The Governing Council of the University of Calabar has announced the dismissal of five of its academic staff and the demotion of 10 others.

A release issued by the Secretary to the Council and Registrar of the Institution, Dr. (Mrs.) Julia Omang and made available to The Nation in Calabar on Friday, disclosed that four of the dismissed academic staff were involved in plagiarism while one was a case of financial fraud.

The release also added that the 10 academic staff that were demoted chose to publish their works in fake or cloned journals and proceeded to submit same and obtained promotion in the process.

Those that were dismissed for outright plagiarism are, Dr. Azubuike Iloeje and Dr. Maurice Bisong of the Department of English and Literary Studies, Mr. Oden Ubi of the Department of Marketing and Dr. Paulinus Noah of the Department of Linguistics and Communication Studies.

According to the release, Dr. Damian Agom was dismissed for salary overpayment, thereby enriching himself to the tone of N7, 268,044. 95 over a period of 11 months.

The demoted lecturers are – Prof. Udoayang, Dr. Asuquo Akabom, Dr. Sunday Effiong and Dr. C. O. Udoka, all of Accounting Department, Prof. Molinta Enendu Department of Theatre and Media Studies and Dr. E.S.Akpan of Banking and Finance

Also demoted are – Dr. A.I. Afangideh and Dr. Francis Okpiliya of the Department of Geography and Environment Science and Dr. K.B.C Ashipu of the Department of English and Literary Studies.

Professors Udoayang and Enendu were demoted to the rank of senior lecturer, while Dr. Okpiliya, Dr. Afangideh and Dr. Ashipu have now moved down to position of lecturer 1.

Besides their demotion, they are to refund all monies earned from their unmerited promotion and barred from promotion for the next six years, the release stated.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news-update/unical-dismisses-five-lecturers/
this is serious punishment o. no promotion for six years. their offences tho. academics is not for the lazy in heart and action.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5000 Each For 5 Lucky Members From This Section / Anambra Leads In Common Entrance Exam 2017 / JAMB UTME Sweet Sixteen Questions and Answer from all Chapters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.