Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,300 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window (1228 Views)

Nairaland Adverts Doesn't Open A New Tab While Browsing On A PC / Making A Web Link Open Up In A New Browser Window / Pop Up Window Script That Is Multi Browser Supported? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by DualCore1: 9:43am On Mar 16, 2013
I think someone raised a topic like this, I can't find it but I know I pulled some comedy on that thread and left it... partly because I wasn't concerned as I do not click the small boxes. If an ad catches my interest I just mouseover it and filter the domain name from the URL and type it into my address bar directly, on a new tab (so I don't add to the number of page views without conversion).

Well today I mistakenly clicked on one and it loaded on the same tab. That's really not nice and breaks my user experience.

Yes:
There is no hard and fast rule saying ads should open in a new tab/window
We are aware of the back button on all browsers

However, it breaks tradition. One of the key factors of user experience is consistence with the norms or conventional things. Web users are used to clicking on ads without interrupting their present workflow. I am yet to see the advantage of having an ad load on the same page that's worth sacrificing my user experience for.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Maleeq(m): 10:35am On Mar 16, 2013
True! I don't like it opening in my current tab/window. If links on a page as well could be made to open in a new tab, I think its gonna be cool
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:33am On Mar 16, 2013
....and it will even be increasing NL bounce rate
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 17, 2013
Dual Core: ...If an ad catches my interest I just mouseover it and filter the domain name from the URL and type it into my address bar directly, on a new tab (so I don't add to the number of page views without conversion)....

Omo you like long thing oh. What happened to right clicking and opening in a new tab?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by sisqology(m): 9:00am On Mar 17, 2013
Our oga won't answer, so forget.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Nobody: 12:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
sisqology: Our oga won't answer, so forget.
I think OP is wasting his time cuz seun won't listen. He simply doesn't take suggestions concerning his site, at least that's the impression I've gotten. Besides, someone already made suggestions to this effect which he simply brushed aside.
Nairaland by now should have hired a full time programming team to deal with issues like this and introduce new and innovative ideas.
That's how other online platforms grew so big.
Seems Nairaland owner prefers to keep running it as his personal farm where he can keep everything tightly under control.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Seun(m): 5:15pm On Mar 17, 2013
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by mitey(m): 6:04pm On Mar 17, 2013
Seun: http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-usability/new-browser-windows.shtml

Most browsers including mobile devices' browsers (and even IE, for that matter) use tabs, the article you quoted is against only windows. Adding a target="_blank" attribute to the ad links will quietly open them in new tabs, and the user is able to switch tabs easily and view the content without losing track of the current page.

Additionally, quoting Dual Core, your users use Twitter, Facebook and Google for crying out loud and ALL their ad & user submitted links open in new tabs. So why should our own dear Nairaland be different?
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by adewaleh(m): 9:03pm On Mar 17, 2013
Dual Core: I think someone raised a topic like this, I can't find it but I know I pulled some comedy on that thread and left it... partly because I wasn't concerned as I do not click the small boxes. If an ad catches my interest I just mouseover it and filter the domain name from the URL and type it into my address bar directly, on a new tab (so I don't add to the number of page views without conversion).

Well today I mistakenly clicked on one and it loaded on the same tab. That's really not nice and breaks my user experience.

Yes:
There is no hard and fast rule saying ads should open in a new tab/window
We are aware of the back button on all browsers

However, it breaks tradition. One of the key factors of user experience is consistence with the norms or conventional things. Web users are used to clicking on ads without interrupting their present workflow. I am yet to see the advantage of having an ad load on the same page that's worth sacrificing my user experience for.
i once raised the issue about links opening on thesame tab, but no 1 talked abt it... I guess u nw feel it..
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Seun(m): 9:23pm On Mar 17, 2013
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by DualCore1: 9:26pm On Mar 17, 2013
Seun: http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-usability/new-browser-windows.shtml
Seun you have to be living in the 19th century if any of your browsers's response to a target=_blank is to open a new window. What sane browser isn't tab-oriented? Mehn you're so backward on this one. Case closed.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Seun(m): 9:40pm On Mar 17, 2013
Dual Core:
What's your comment about the second link?
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by DualCore1: 9:44pm On Mar 17, 2013
trae_z:

Omo you like long thing oh. What happened to right clicking and opening in a new tab?
No bro, you missed my point. You know these ad banners are not anchored to the direct link, they are anchored to a trackable link which when clicked leads to the advertised site. For nairaland the trackable link has the advertised site's domain in it so instead of adding to the statistics of those who have viewed an advertised site without conversion I prefer to filter the domain out of the link and open it directly. I use the same approach for Google ads, in their case the advertised site's URL is at a corner of the ad banner so I just type in the URL straight into my address bar instead of clicking the ad, thereby saving the advertiser some money should he be on a Cost per Click campaign.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by DualCore1: 9:47pm On Mar 17, 2013
Seun: What's your comment about the second link?
Probably my internet connection is playing a trick on me tonight as that link seems to be unreachable. However my comment to you is to do the right thing once and stop scouring the net for some freak's blog post just to defend the mediocrity as shown in the issue at hand. Up till now that link is still not loading. I will check it up at a later time. Usability is not learned from a blog post, it's learned from your user feedback.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by DualCore1: 9:55pm On Mar 17, 2013
The link finally opened o and really I don't see how the link works in your defense because usability all boils down to behavior and you can see (from the comments) people will rather have an extra tab opened that have their present work cut short by a different page loading on the same tab (which is in Nairaland's case going to be about a totally different subject matter from the thread the person was on).

Its very easy to click on one of the ads on Nairaland now and just sigh if the service rendered is not useful to you and you just use the vex take close the tab. What have you done? You have closed the tab that holds the history to the Nairaland thread you were on before the ad took it.

Think this thing through with your people, I'm not directly concerned obviously.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Seun(m): 9:59pm On Mar 17, 2013
@Dual Core:
Do you really think it would take me more than 5 seconds to make those links open in new tabs if I thought it was the right thing to do? What sort of nincompoop do you think I am? Do you think a person can build a site this successful and be too "mediocre" to know about target = _blank? I want to believe you are merely trolling.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
geek fight! shocked shocked
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Nobody: 10:14pm On Mar 17, 2013
Dual Core:
No bro, you missed my point. You know these ad banners are not anchored to the direct link, they are anchored to a trackable link which when clicked leads to the advertised site. For nairaland the trackable link has the advertised site's domain in it so instead of adding to the statistics of those who have viewed an advertised site without conversion I prefer to filter the domain out of the link and open it directly. I use the same approach for Google ads, in their case the advertised site's URL is at a corner of the ad banner so I just type in the URL straight into my address bar instead of clicking the ad, thereby saving the advertiser some money should he be on a Cost per Click campaign.

saving the advertiser some money is noble but on the real who really gives a f4uuck. I'm with the 99.9% that think Life's too short as it is to run up some seconds cutting cost aka taking panadol for another person's headache.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 17, 2013
And a majority of web users in Naija being learners rocking the boat and distracting them by opening links in new tabs/windows should be avoided. It's best to always play safe then change the serene status which might make a few users happy but piss off the majority.

Besides most power users (myself included) as a general rule are so used to right clicking and opening in new tabs.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Nobody: 10:27pm On Mar 17, 2013
I never let a link decide for me. If I need it in a new tab, I open one.

But with the issue of ad links on Nairaland, I'm of the opinion they should not open in a new tab.

If one mistakenly clicks on an ad, you can simply hit the back button and continue.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by DualCore1: 3:05am On Mar 18, 2013
Seun: @Dual Core:
Do you really think it would take me more than 5 seconds to make those links open in new tabs if I thought it was the right thing to do? What sort of nincompoop do you think I am? Do you think a person can build a site this successful and be too "mediocre" to know about target = _blank? I want to believe you are merely trolling.
Seun stop the back and forth movement and state in clear terms why you think you are doing the right thing. This is not about your being able to implement this in code, it is about your decision to implement it or not. Did you see me mention target=_blank as a suggestion in my first post? As said earlier, I am not concerned directly. I decide where links are opened using the Ctrl+Tab button combo or even faster using my mouse scroll click.

Reminds me of some "wow" DJ over the weekend rocking to songs he was playing while the majority of the people in the joint were like..."what da?". Wetin "consign" DJ and the few people wey understand him mindset when he does stunts like shifting from Azonto'ish songs blending Don William'ish songs into it? ....as far as he's concerned, he's doing "the right thing". Thankfully one could decide to walk out or endure it.

trae_z:

saving the advertiser some money is noble but on the real who really gives a f4uuck. I'm with the 99.9% that think Life's too short as it is to run up some seconds cutting cost aka taking panadol for another person's headache.
I try not to waste people's money. It doesn't take anything from me. Life's too short so let everyday count as a satisfactory one. Hope you're doing very okay now... still waiting for the wedding date. I don't know much as I haven't been on FB for a long while.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Nobody: 6:25am On Mar 18, 2013
I'm very convinced on one good reason why ad banners (not all links) should open in new tabs but I'm not gonna waste my time talking about here cuz it's non of my God damn business.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 18, 2013
adewaleh: i once raised the issue about links opening on thesame tab, but no 1 talked abt it... I guess u nw feel it..
grin grin grin grin grin dont worry when you get popular people will talk about it.
Re: Nairaland Ads Should Open In A New Tab/window by JideTheBlogger(m): 12:40pm On Jul 19, 2014
fast forward 2014, the approach is OK wink

(1) (Reply)

Free #400 Naira Airtime Bonus / 3 Unbelievable Reasons Why You Need Google Adsense Now / Content Writers Needed ASAP!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.