Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

A Fully Free Desktop OS (Is This A New OS?) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / A Fully Free Desktop OS (Is This A New OS?) (706 Views)

Best Hacking Operating Systems /os / My Pc Is Complaining That My Vista Ultimate Os Is Not Genuine / Installing A New OS With Another OS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Fully Free Desktop OS (Is This A New OS?) by DevotedOne(m): 2:34pm On Mar 16, 2013
I would like to know if anyone has any information about this OS: For a fully free desktop OS, try Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 Has anyone tried this OS? Any comments regarding it? Thanks.

http://trisquel.info/en/forum/users
Re: A Fully Free Desktop OS (Is This A New OS?) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 16, 2013
I haven't tried the Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 OS but I have used Ubuntu, Fedora, and SLAX which are all Unix/Linux based operating systems. What I can say is that they are different. You will have to learn the new interface, new keyboard shortcuts, etc. And also know that all your existing softwares won't work on this (Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0) operating system because they are made for Microsoft Windows operating system. To use your existing windows softwares you have to use special software like 'Wine' to make your windows softwares work on Unix but don't expect it to work 100% because they just try to create the windows environment to operate the software. Unix operating systems does not recognize the .exe extension files, what they understand is .deb .dmg etc for software installation.
Because these operating systems are not as popular as Windows, there is relatively limited help and support available when you encounter problems using the operating system.
Also in my opinion their interfaces (Ubuntu, Fedora, and SLAX) are not as beautiful as windows interface maybe because I used to windows.

You can install the Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 operating system in a virtual environment to try it out before actually installing it on your laptop as main operating system
Re: A Fully Free Desktop OS (Is This A New OS?) by DevotedOne(m): 3:54pm On Mar 17, 2013
chuks315, thanks for your reply. I doubt if I'll be using Trisquel for a while yet. I've used Ubuntu for a few years until recently when it accidentally failed. I have Ubuntu 12- and Suse 12- but I'm waiting for a more favorable environment before re-installation of either OS. I didn't have much success with 'Wine' but dual booted with Win XP instead.

I appreciate all of the information that you have passed along to me, as it will come in handy in the near future. Thanks, again.

(1) (Reply)

Best Laptops For 2013 / My Pc Not Starting Up After Light Interruption / For Sale!!!dell Laptop-70k And Blackberry Torch-30k.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.