Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? (8900 Views)

Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! / Nuclear Vs Extended Family / Your Wife Or Your Extended Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? by Ndipe(m): 12:26am On May 08, 2006
The extended family has still survived in Nigeria and some parts of Africa  despite economic hardship, imposition of western values in our nation among other things. Unlike the nuclear family which is part of the western culture, the extended family involves all your cousins, inlaws, grandparents and other relatives, related to you by blood line. Blood is thicker than water in Africa, and the unexpected visits from distant family members (you know the one whose cousin was married to your grandfather's younger brother) is received royally by your parents. Family dinner of kids and parents? Forget it. You mum may be making a pot of soup, that she will gladly share with a visitor that just arrived from another city. But you wont starve. The benefits of having some of these family members are numerous to mention. Household duties, normally reserved for you and your siblings (assuming your parents servants had left abruptly) will be a tremendous blessing to you. Now will be the time to carve out time to play with your mates and then again, their presence will free you of any punishments that was supposed to be meted out to you by your parents. Your parents sullied mood that their child had broken the expensive china plate or flower vase is usually softened by the arrival of the visitors who will intercede on your behalf. I remember the visits to my cousins where I just wished that my parents would disappear temporarily so that we could play forever, the visits by my maternal aunts (oh, what a treat it was) and sometimes me, the mischevious person would attempt to hide their shoes, so that none of them would leave.

But as we all know, these visits could be a drain on the family's resources. There is the school fees to be paid for your uncle's daughters, there is that monthly allowance that your parents have to remit to their own parents to live off. Two sacks of rice, promptly delivered by your father's drivers would be routed to your grandparents house to take care of them. Ok, as a kid, I detested rice, likewise my siblings, so that was not a problem. But these diversion, multitasking, carving out room to take care of other family members sometimes leaves little time for parents to watch over their kids. And I am amazed that our generation turned out well (ok, when I mean my generation, I am referring to the 20-30 crowd). Except for some intractable kids prone to anti social activities on campus (does cults ring a bell?), stealing, prostitution and other vices. I am also amazed that divorces in Africa is not as high as that of the western world, considering our busy lives, which could lead to temptations.

So for the west, the family unit comprises of a man, his wife and 2, maybe three kids. No stress over money, no stress over inlaws. People call in advance and one is not obligated to render help to the community or their extended family member. And for kids over 18 years old, your parents can legally kick you out of the house.

Now which would you prefer? My choice still lies in the African extended family unit. You really can't beat that.
Re: Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? by Hotstepper(f): 2:30am On May 08, 2006
i live both, loving my extended family, how would ma life be if I didn't have cuzzins, uncles and aunties?mennnnn, dat would be boring cuz itz cuz of dem that I go 2 Nigeria sef, If you have peaceful extended family, itz juicy tongue, gat 21 cuzzins 4rom ma mom's side and 23 from ma dad and we r all so close which makes it sweet, undecided
Re: Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? by larger20(m): 2:52am On May 08, 2006
I prefer neaclear due to my type of person, but most nigerians live in extended so,
Re: Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? by mochafella(m): 4:20am On May 08, 2006
Ndipe:

But these diversion, multitasking, carving out room to take care of other family members sometimes leaves little time for parents to watch over their kids. And I am amazed that our generation turned out well (ok, when I mean my generation, I am referring to the 20-30 crowd).
I daresay, it's because of the extended family that "our generation" turned out well. Nothing like going to work knowing you have your flesh and blood watching your kids.

Ndipe:

I am also amazed that divorces in Africa is not as high as that of the western world, considering our busy lives, which could lead to temptations.
Extended family again. In the west its your marriage counselor or pastor/priest/imam. Back home its the folks with the added benefit that you are not pouring your problems on a stranger.

Ndipe:

So for the west, the family unit comprises of a man, his wife and 2, maybe three kids. No stress over money, no stress over inlaws. People call in advance and one is not obligated to render help to the community or their extended family member. And for kids over 18 years old, your parents can legally kick you out of the house.
Yeah and when all hell breaks loose as it will one day, there is no emotional safety net.

Both have their benefits, I guess the difficult task is acheiving a balance between both.
Re: Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? by Izzo(m): 8:53am On Jul 24, 2006
I would prefer a nuclear family not saying extended aren't good cause i just don't want anyone coming to tell me how o run my family/house. cool cool
Re: Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? by otokx(m): 12:32pm On Jul 24, 2006
nuclear family.

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Find A White Man To Marry? / Having Or Being A Male Nursery Teacher: Your View / Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.