Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 (66910 Views)

Egypt Vs Nigeria AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 0 on 29th March 2016 / Nigeria Vs Egypt AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 1 On 25th March 2016 / Nigeria Vs Gabon: Africa Youth Championship: (1 - 0) On 20th March 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Soso990240(m): 3:51pm On Mar 22, 2013
good.good:
Probable line up:

enyeama

okonkwo omeruo oboabona echiejile

Moses onazi mikel ogu

martins ideye
who go dey bench 4 martins incase of injury? Nobdy.
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Kaxmytex(m): 3:51pm On Mar 22, 2013
Evestar200: who scored portugal last two goals? I knw dat bruno alves scored d first goal
coentrao nd postiga
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Kaxmytex(m): 3:53pm On Mar 22, 2013
good.good:
Probable line up:

enyeama

okonkwo omeruo oboabona echiejile

Moses onazi mikel ogu

martins ideye
lol....diz line-up dey make me laffcheesy
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by vision2050: 4:08pm On Mar 22, 2013
with chelsea players in the team naija go win the game. June come quickly i want to see the downfall of la roja(spain) when Eagles will feed on them.
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Evestar200(f): 4:21pm On Mar 22, 2013
Kaxmytex:
coentrao nd postiga
ok thanks
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Emmysteve(m): 4:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
Kaxmytex:
am a nigerian o buh i hvn't heard of nta b4...
Sharaaap there
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 22, 2013
Emmysteve: Sharaaap there
dont mind him he is not from nigeria he is 4rm erin-ile hmhmhmhm.. *clear throat* dats all,
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by olapluto(m): 5:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
Heading to the game it’s time to have a look through the truth files for both sides.

Fact

After two rounds into the qualifiers, Nigeria is top of Group ‘F’ with four points while Kenya is fourth and bottom with no goals scored and one point. In between the two is Namibia and Malawi with three and two points respectively.

In the upcoming tie that will kick off at 1800hrs local time, Nigeria is plotting to down the Harambee Stars to consolidate their position atop the log while the latter has the same agenda – hoping to turn fortunes around with an away win.

Nigeria and Kenya have faced off 12-times before in all competitions. From the 12 games, Nigeria have picked up eleven wins (91.7%) the other result being a draw. Goal wise, Nigeria has outscored Kenya 30 to four.

The only time Kenya avoided defeat to Nigeria was during a 1998 World Cup qualifier played at the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani on 12 January 1998. Under German Coach Reinhardt Fabisch, a new-look Harambee Stars held a star studded Nigeria to a 1-1 draw.

Of the 12 games played between the two, four (33.3%) have been friendlies (1981, 2003, 2007 & 2011); two (16.7%) ties have been during the Africa Cup of Nations (1988 & 1992) while the other six (50%) have been qualifications games towards the World Cup (two games in 1985, two in 1997 and two in 2009).

The first ever encounter between Kenya and Nigeria was a friendly played on the 3rd of August 1981 which ended 3-1 in favour of the hosts. The last of the 12 games was a friendly played in Abuja on 29 March 2011.

The Saturday game will be the seventh between Nigeria and Kenya – in Nigeria. Interestingly Kenya has lost all its previous five games played in Nigeria by receiving a constant score line of 3-0

Except for the first ever tie between the two in 1981 where Kenya managed a goal in losing 3-1, all the other five losses have been by a constant 3-0 margin.

In Nigeria, the Super Eagles has outscored the Harambee Stars 18 to one.

Ranking

As per the latest FIFA Ranking released on Thursday 14 March, Nigeria is placed 30th globally, sandwiched between Norway (29) and Romania (31). In Africa, the Super Eagles are fourth after Ivory Coast, Ghana and Mali.

Compared, Kenya is at 126 and right behind Guyana and ahead of Sudan. In Africa, Kenya is 37th behind Burundi and just above Sudan.

When the two last faced off in an Africa Cup of Nations/ World Cup qualifier Nigeria on 7 June 2009, Nigeria was ranked as Africa’s second best nation behind Cameroon and at the same position 30 globally. Kenya was at 32 in Africa and 109 worldwide.

However during their last ever meeting in Nigeria – Abuja in the friendly on 29 Mar 2011, both had had considerable falls; Nigeria was at position 39 worldwide with Kenya at 128.

Coaching

When the two last faced off in a World Cup/Cup of Nations qualifier in June 2009 in Abuja, the man in charge of the Super Eagles was Amodu Shaibu.

By the time the two meet in the friendly on 29 Mar 2011, the man in charge was Samson Siasia. Several changes occurred in between with Lars Lagerbäck and Augustine Eguavon having been privileged to have sat on the hot seat.

For the Saturday game, Stephen (Ukechukwu] Keshi will be in the Nigerian touchline.

Kenya will have Algerian-born Adel Amrouche, a Belgian, in charge for the Saturday game. Last time round during the World Cup/Africa Cup of nations Cup qualifier in 2009 in Abuja Kenya had German Antoine Hey as Coach.

For the friendly in 2011, Kenya was led by Zedekiah Zico Otieno. Twahir Muhiddin and Jacob Ghost Mulee, had handled the team between Hey and Zico and thereafter there has been Francis Kimanzi, Henri Michel and James Nandwa who is now assistant to Amrouche.

Against Kenya, Keshi will be leading Nigeria for the 21st time where he will be looking for win number 11. For Adel, the Super Eagles tie will be his first ever as boss of the Harambee Stars.

World Cup qualifier records

In terms of qualifiers towards the World Cup (some combined with Africa Cup of Nations) Nigeria has participated in a total of 87 games, the first being back on 20 August 1960 against Ghana.

Broken down, 44 of the 87 qualifiers have been home games from which Nigeria has posted 35 wins (79.5%), six draws (13.6%) and just three loses (6.8%)

The last time Nigeria lost a World Cup qualification game was back on 10 October 1981 when the team was handed a surprise 2-0 defeat by Algeria in Lagos. The other two home losses have been to Ghana (1973) and Tunisia (1977).

Kenya on the other hand has featured in 60 World Cup qualifiers since 16 July 1972 (against Sudan).

Split, of the 60, Kenya has featured in 30 away World Cup qualification games managing only two wins (3.6%), five draws (17.9%) and 23 losses (78.6%).

Kenya’s most recent away win in a World Cup qualifier was on 11 November 2011, a 3-0 win over Seychelles in a 2014 preliminary round qualifier. The only other was back on 16 August 1997 when, under German Coach Reinhardt Fabisch, the team beat Burkina Faso 4-2 in Ouagadougou in a 1998 World Cup qualifier.

Form

Ahead of the Saturday clash, the Super Eagles carry a 14-game unbeaten streak. Since falling 1-0 to Peru (away) on 24 May 2012 in a friendly game, Nigeria is yet to lose an international game.

Narrowed down to home games, Nigeria is yet to lose on home soil since being shocked 4-1 by Ghana on 6 February 2007 in a friendly game.

Nigeria is buoyed by great form in the recent past. They go into the Saturday clash as the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations Champions, a trophy they bagged after seeing off Burkina Faso 1-0 in South Africa on 10 February 2013. To have won the tournament, Nigeria went through six games unbeaten, posting four straight wins in their final games.

While Nigeria was busy at the Africa Cup of nations, Kenya was relatively idle and since the turn of the year the Harambee Stars have played only two international games; against Burundi on 6 January (ended 0-0) and Libya on 6 February (ended 3-0).

Players

Vincent Enyeama, voted best African keeper in the past century, is in line to make another start against Kenya as he has been named in the squad by Keshi. Of the past three games against Kenya, Enyeama has featured in two.

Also with the same statistics is Chelsea’s dependable John Obi Mikel who is in line for yet another showdown with the Stars.

On the Kenyan side, Peter Pinchez Opiyo, George Owino, Victor Wanyama and Dennis Oliech have been part of the Harambee Stars in two of the recent three games

2010 World Cup/Africa Cup of Nations qualifier – 7 June 2009, Abuja – Nigeria

Nigeria: Vincent Enyeama, Uwa Uchejile, Michael Eneramo (Victor Obinna - 54), Peter Odemwingie, Seyi Olonfinjana, Ikechukwu Uche, Dele Adeyele, Samuel Sodje (Onyekachi Apam - 76), Dickson Etuhu (Nwankwo Kanu - 46), Mohammed Yusuf

Substitutes not used; Danny Shittu, Joseph Akpala, Austin Ejide, Yussu Ayila

Coach: Shuaibu Amodu

Kenya; Arnold Origi, Musa Otieno, George Owino, Julius Owino, Pascal Ochieng, John Mwangi, McDonald Mariga, Austin Makacha, Patrick Oboya (Victor Wanyama - 72), Robert Mambo (Allan Wanga - 63), Dennis Oliech (Peter Opiyo - 76)

Unused subs; John Muiruri, Joseph Shikokoti, Mulinge Ndeto, Willies Ochieng

Coach: Antoine Hey

2010 World Cup/Africa Cup of Nations qualifier – 11 November 2009, Kasarani, Kenya

Nigeria; Vincent Enyeama, Joseph Yobo, Obina Nwaneri, Michael Eneramo (Victor Obinna - 61), Yakubu Aiyegbeni, John Obi Mikel, Peter Odemwingie, Seyi Olofinjana (Yussuy Ayala - 30), Onyekachi Apam, Uwa Echiejile, Ebenezar Ajilore (Obafemi Martins - 46)

Substitutes not used; Taye Taiwo, Nwankwo Kanu, Dele Adeleye, Dele Aiyenugba

Coach: Shuaibu Amodu

Kenya: Willies Ochieng, Musa Otieno, George Owino, Julius Owino, Edgar Ochieng, John Njoroge, Peter Opiyo, Victor Wanyama (Allan Wanga - 73), Dennis Oliech, Emmanuel Ake (Hillary Echesa - 78), Patrick Oboya (Patrick Osiako - 51)

Subs not used; John Baraza, Jockins Atudo, Pascal Ochieng, Wilson Oburu

Coach: Twahir Muhidin

Friendly; Nigeria – Kenya – Wed 29 March 2011, Abuja - Nigeria

Nigeria: Dele Aiyenugba, Taye Taiwo, Chibuzor Okonkwo, Joseph Yobo (Dele Adeleye), Efe Ambrose, John Obi Mikel, Joel Obi (Fengor Ogude), Ahmed Musa, Victor Obinna (Solomon Okoronkwo), Victor Anichebe (Ekigho Ehiosun), Peter Utaka (Ike Uche)

Unused subs: Sunday Rotimi, Olubayo Adefemi , Ikechukwu Uche, Kalu Uche, Nnamdi Odumadi

Coach; Samson Siasia

Kenya: Arnold Origi, James Situma, Dennis Odhiambo, Joseph Shikokoti, Edgar Ochieng, McDonald Mariga, Jamal Mohammed (Collins Okoth), Victor Wanyama, Bob Mugalia (Stephen Waruru), Joseph Nyaga (Kevin Omondi), George BlackBerry Odhiambo (Paul Were)

Subs not used; Francis Ochieng, Johanna Omolo, Lloyd Wahome

Coach: Zedekiah Zico Otieno

Called up squads for game on 23 March

Nigeria (initial squad)

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama (Maccabi Tel Aviv, Israel); Austin Ejide (Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Israel), Agbim Chigozie (Rangers), akpeyi Daniel (Heartland), Ajiboye Dele (3SC)

Defenders: Efe Ambrose (Celtic FC, Scotland); Elderson Echiejile (FC Braga, Portugal); Kenneth Omeruo (ADO Den Haag, The Netherlands), Egwueke Azubuike (Warri Wolves), Papa Idris (Kano Pillars), Zango Umar (Kano Pillars), Oboabona Godfrey (Sunshine Stars), Kwambe Solomon (Sunshine Stars), Chibuzo Okonkwo (Rangers), Ezekiel Bassey (Lobi Stars), Benjamin Francis (Heartland), Zubaru Muhammed (Tornadoes).

Midfielders: John Mikel Obi (Chelsea FC, England); Ogenyi Onazi (SS Lazio, Italy); Fegor Ogude (Valerenga FC, Norway); John Ogu (Academica de Coimbra, Portugal), Mba Sunday (Nigeria), Gabriel Reuben (Kano Pillars), Gambo Muhammed (Kano Pillars), Ubale Mannir (Kano Pillars), Pius Samson (Ranchers Bees), Ohanduku Gomo (Sharks), Obinna Nwanchukwu (Heartland)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Brown Ideye (Dynamo Kyiv,Ukraine); Victor Moses (Chelsea FC, England); Babatunde Michael (Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine); Nnamdi Oduamadi (A.S Varese 1910 FC, Italy); Obafemi Martins (Levante FC, Spain), Saka Ayo (Enyimba), Jiya Muhammed (Bayelsa Fc), Emeka Ezeh (Rangers), Anthony Okputu (Lobi Stars), Adepoju Taofeek (3SC)

Kenya (20 players)

Goalkeepers: Arnold Origi, Duncan Ochieng

Defenders: Abdalla Juma, David Owino, Brian Mandela, Mark Odhiambo, Mulinge Ndeto, Aboud Omar

Midfielders: Victor Wanyama, George Owino, David Ochieng, Jamal Mohammed, David Gateri, Edwin Lavatsa, Peter Opiyo, Francis Kahata, Johanna Omolo, Cripin Odula

Strikers: Christian Bwamy, Dennis Oliech, Jacob Keli.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by sharubutu(m): 7:57pm On Mar 22, 2013
samm_miey: Bring the world cup home like AFCON boiz,u can do it again.

You say? ebi like say u dey dream..............
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Francuiz: 8:17pm On Mar 22, 2013
I have this feeling that nigeria will lose.
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Nobody: 10:21pm On Mar 22, 2013
@ Ola Pluto: The 4-1 loss to Ghana was played in London, not Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 22, 2013
It's amazing that Nigeria hasn't lost a home competitive game for more than 22 years!
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by airmark(m): 12:33am On Mar 23, 2013
what time is the match pls?
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 23, 2013
airmark: what time is the match pls?

4pm Nigerian time. 11am U.S. eastern time.
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by GeneralJ(m): 3:09am On Mar 23, 2013
I trust my super eagles boys, if those kenyans try any noonsens ....

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by gidiboy1(m): 7:27am On Mar 23, 2013
Sagytarius: try harder next time. Just as I'm trying.
In other news, Nigeria wins by 2:0, with Mikel opening the goal scoring sheet.
Hehehe cheesy
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 23, 2013
@Abdulkayus, it's better you have a change of mind as regards the money for the sacrifice or I report to MY OGA AT THE TOP.
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by joseph1013: 8:09am On Mar 23, 2013
Soso990240: who go dey bench 4 martins incase of injury? Nobdy.
in that case Oduamadi will be brought in and go to the flank(to take Ideye's flank position), while ideye will be drafted to Obafemi's position
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by rasqaifer: 9:18am On Mar 23, 2013
Someone tell Nigeria that in
kenya
we eat ugali not fufu*stool*...sup
our illitrate brothers in the west
divided country,you guyz talk the
worst english ever in this
world,try another assent nd leve
the 0oo.,Ogas poo with your girls
talkin like men..the okunyes nd
obuguchuz.:-/.funny names to
call a girl..that turns me off by
just the name...then the base
from her mouth get me
running..not forgeting how their
faces r always swollen like
baboons,your movies are a
shame to africa wid tha lowest
creativity in the world... Nd u got
pride over them;-).,..we bleeped u
in rugby with 85-5,.a record
never heard of :-D...u went ahead
to show us of ur uncivilised
schools nd villages full of
witchdoctors..
.welcome to modernity my
brodas.."a go go go tel u"...u
screwed#..lemmi hia u now..ope
il be able to understand ur
english now,follow my advice so i
can get you well,dont talk like a
mumuring baby.
kenya
from her mouth get me
witchdoctors..
.welcome to modernity my
mumuring baby.
kenya
from her mouth get me
witchdoctors..
.welcome to modernity my
mumuring baby.
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by rasqaifer: 9:26am On Mar 23, 2013
#SomeoneTellNigeria Its only in
naija where tomato sauce is
used in movies as blood. Kenyans
use tomato sauce on chips.”...where one is shot on the head and the leg bleeds
grin#SomeoneTellNigeria Its only in
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by YoungGame: 9:37am On Mar 23, 2013
Okija_juju: [img]http://1.bp..com/-DLfkOF-xJoE/T6A8vVFY6_I/AAAAAAAAAKQ/pafW_sc5Qp4/s1600/juju1.gif[/img]

The gods are not happy with Keshi & Nigerians for the way they used Emenike and dumped him. They are also not happy about the pardon of Alamieyesiegha.

For us to appease the gods and win Kenya, we need to make a sacrifice to them. If this is not done, Kenya will score 1 goal every 5 mins.

This is the message my Ogas at the top said to tell you all and I am sure they will not later come and say something else..

Send 50 Thousand U.S Dollars to me for the sacrifice.
This pikin no go kill me with laughgrin
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by pendo89(f): 9:46am On Mar 23, 2013
I predict a nigerian win.That shouldn't come as a suprise.
It's like pitying kenya's rugby team against Nigeria's.

Each country knows it's strength and Nigeria's strength is football.
Football fan? not me,so let the best team win.
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by mictima(m): 9:53am On Mar 23, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]i have an inkling that Nigeria will loose the match
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by RedLight1: 9:57am On Mar 23, 2013
CFCfan: It's amazing that Nigeria hasn't lost a home competitive game for more than 22 years!
we røck now smiley

e no easy to be giant of africa na grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Lizyco: 9:58am On Mar 23, 2013
God will see Nigeria through today
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by PweetiQueensy(f): 9:58am On Mar 23, 2013
lawizle4shizle:

mtchew...e go do you film trick...
. Lols
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Nobody: 9:59am On Mar 23, 2013
Lizyco: God will see Nigeria through today

God?
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Adufaye(m): 10:01am On Mar 23, 2013
naija go win by 4*0,if u doubt bet ur gf
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by RedLight1: 10:03am On Mar 23, 2013
ras qaifer: #SomeoneTellNigeria Its only in
grin#SomeoneTellNigeria Its only in
so why are u derailng this thread u gaynian scumbag... Am pretty sure the someonetellnigeria scumbag is from gayna like the fake eboue during nations cup... Must u people wana be like us? Seek ur mate ugly scum
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by ejikemedevinci: 10:15am On Mar 23, 2013
lawizle4shizle:

mtchew...e go do you film trick...
. Oga eme gi vum n' aya
Re: Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 23, 2013
Nigeria just has to win this one.

But when that happens I hope the kenyans wont blame their loss on the poor reception and training facility.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything / I Tried To Withdraw My Money From Bet9ja And This Happened! / Shahdon Winchester Dies In Accident With His Girlfriend In Trinidad & Tobago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.