Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,851 members, 7,851,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:56 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (133) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (489493 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by valentijay: 2:46pm On Jun 18, 2013
I need your urgent help here. My documents were sent through USPS international express mail since the 11th of june to. be delivered to my home adress. Im yet to receive it. Tracking says its still at new york. What should I do
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Blankcheque: 2:47pm On Jun 18, 2013
I have keenly followed the course of discussions in this great forum since the beginning of this year, read from part one this point, and can say without any fear of contradiction that no better forum exists than this. Thanks to all the gurus in the house for the rescue job you have been doing. May God reward you in a manner beyond your expectations. Congrats to all those who have recently got their visas approved. Now my story! I got admitted to a university in the US to pursue a masters degree, got a partial scholarship,booked an appointment with the embassy for 3rd July but am experiencing a profound difficulty receiving my I-20. I actually instructed the school to release the document to a friend there to help me pay the SEVIS fee to facilitate the whole process. The document was sent via the USPS express mail service about two weeks ago. I called NIPOST headquarters and they claimed non-receipt of the document while the USPS claimed the document had left the shores of the United States. So, am very confused as to what to do at this point, should I reschedule the embassy appointment while am still waiting for the document or what? I have contacted the school to apprise them of my ordeal. The whole scenario is affecting my preparation for the interview though well prepared until now. Let me add that I had filled and submitted the form DS-160. Please kindly advise me on what I need to do. Am so confused that the whole plan may be somewhat thwarted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 2:56pm On Jun 18, 2013
valentijay: I need your urgent help here. My documents were sent through USPS international express mail since the 11th of june to. be delivered to my home adress. Im yet to receive it. Tracking says its still at new york. What should I do

Bros u dont need to worry urself. Confirm from ur area NIPOST Office.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadinus(m): 2:56pm On Jun 18, 2013
Jayjsea puts on Tuxedo....Congrats guyz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by valentijay: 3:00pm On Jun 18, 2013
babsharon:

Bros u dont need to worry urself. mail the school and confirm if they have received it because atimes the tracking system are not updated.
Im the one that is to receive it and not the school.its an i20 package
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 3:06pm On Jun 18, 2013
valentijay:
Im the one that is to receive it and not the school.its an i20 package
Go check ur area head office of NIPOST to ask if they have it with them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gbemonology1: 3:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
Hi guys, l really need gurus advice on this issue, l was denied F-1 visa sometimes ago and i've scheduled another appointment. What is the best explanation to give on the DS-160 form in the section where the question "have u ever been denied or refused a us visa before"...I am thinking of putting this answer there (I was denied F1 visa on the 7th of June, 2013 under section 214(b. I wasn't asked questions like ties to Nigeria and l never got chance to explain during the interview). Is there any other info l need to add to support my case? I need gurus advice on this....imperiouxx u have done it before, pls advice me.....justwise, bigfrancis, GboyegaD, valentijay and co plsss help...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by midi20: 3:39pm On Jun 18, 2013
Please guys. Endeavour to use courier for your packages.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
gbemonology1: Hi guys, l really need gurus advice on this issue, l was denied F-1 visa sometimes ago and i've scheduled another appointment. What is the best explanation to give on the DS-160 form in the section where the question "have u ever been denied or refused a us visa before"...I am thinking of putting this answer there (I was denied F1 visa on the 7th of June, 2013 under section 214(b. I wasn't asked questions like ties to Nigeria and l never got chance to explain during the interview). Is there any other info l need to add to support my case? I need gurus advice on this....imperiouxx u have done it before, pls advice me.....justwise, bigfrancis,valentijay and co plsss help...

answer to your question is YES - ofcos its on record that you av bn denied so anything contrary is shooting yourself in the foot.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 4:40pm On Jun 18, 2013
flynbird:

Wait! Guys which company handles mails that comes to nipost from the US? I thought that's USPS??

That is very correct.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 4:48pm On Jun 18, 2013
valentijay: Pls how would I get it. Would I have to go to the post office or would it be brought to the adrress here in lag. Which of the post offices would I have to go to.the tracking says its still in new york.does the tracking thing work at al cos it has been sent since 11th of this month

Unfortunately, you cannot track it once it leaves the US if you are sending it to Nigeria. For your other question, NIPOST would bring it to your house.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 4:56pm On Jun 18, 2013
Blankcheque: I have keenly followed the course of discussions in this great forum since the beginning of this year, read from part one this point, and can say without any fear of contradiction that no better forum exists than this. Thanks to all the gurus in the house for the rescue job you have been doing. May God reward you in a manner beyond your expectations. Congrats to all those who have recently got their visas approved. Now my story! I got admitted to a university in the US to pursue a masters degree, got a partial scholarship,booked an appointment with the embassy for 3rd July but am experiencing a profound difficulty receiving my I-20. I actually instructed the school to release the document to a friend there to help me pay the SEVIS fee to facilitate the whole process. The document was sent via the USPS express mail service about two weeks ago. I called NIPOST headquarters and they claimed non-receipt of the document while the USPS claimed the document had left the shores of the United States. So, am very confused as to what to do at this point, should I reschedule the embassy appointment while am still waiting for the document or what? I have contacted the school to apprise them of my ordeal. The whole scenario is affecting my preparation for the interview though well prepared until now. Let me add that I had filled and submitted the form DS-160. Please kindly advise me on what I need to do. Am so confused that the whole plan may be somewhat thwarted.

How efficient is NIPOST at your end? Why I ask this is because most times it takes 7 - 10days to post using the USPS express option to Nigeria. Unfortunately, we are usually unable to track once it leaves the US, nevertheless, I have this feeling you should get it soon. Today is just day 7 since you said it was posted on the 11th of this month, as such, I suggest you relax your mind.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 4:58pm On Jun 18, 2013
Congrats to those who just got their visas and I wish you a wonderful study time in the US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by topzy2000: 5:00pm On Jun 18, 2013
Congrats to our new americanas.

Wish everyone well in their interviews. Mine is coming up early next month.

Cheers!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gr8ever(m): 5:03pm On Jun 18, 2013
valentijay: I need your urgent help here. My documents were sent through USPS international express mail since the 11th of june to. be delivered to my home adress. Im yet to receive it. Tracking says its still at new york. What should I do

Track it from Nipost website wit the same tracking#....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eduson002(m): 5:17pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

I used TNT courier plus.

You can get yours too from them. They are so Reliable and veryy fast.

They gave me a tracking number and I was able to track down my i-20 package till it got to me within just 3 days..
Thanks.Is their office located @ :147b Younnis Bashorun off ajose adeogun,VI ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 6:02pm On Jun 18, 2013
my I-20 came with some medical document. Is it only the first page of the I-20 that i will take to the embassy or I have to fill dis doc and take everytin along?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Blankcheque: 6:39pm On Jun 18, 2013
GboyegaD:

How efficient is NIPOST at your end? Why I ask this is because most times it takes 7 - 10days to post using the USPS express option to Nigeria. Unfortunately, we are usually unable to track once it leaves the US, nevertheless, I have this feeling you should get it soon. Today is just day 7 since you said it was posted on the 11th of this month, as such, I suggest you relax your mind.

Bro, thanks for your comment. I really appreciate. However, the document had been sent since the 4th of June and my interview is slated for 3rd July. Feeling really tensed that if I didn't get the package this week, then things may be somehow. I have called the NIPOST headquarters and they are still claiming not have received the document. It's about 2weeks now that the package was sent via express mail which should take at most 5days.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 7:33pm On Jun 18, 2013
Looking for date again oOo. It is well with me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 8:30pm On Jun 18, 2013
Kunsoft: Looking for date again oOo. It is well with me.

You looking for date again?. Were you delayed at the embassy?... How did it go?.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gr8ever(m): 8:45pm On Jun 18, 2013
Kunsoft: Looking for date again oOo. It is well with me.

Amen!!! It is yours this time broda.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 8:53pm On Jun 18, 2013
olarwarlay:

You looking for date again?. Were you delayed at the embassy?... How did it go?.
My brother its a long story. Insufficient funds. That was what she told me boldly.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by oyetpel(m): 8:53pm On Jun 18, 2013
Who dey go lag, july 15th?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by topzy2000: 9:16pm On Jun 18, 2013
Kunsoft:
My brother its a long story. Insufficient funds. That was what she told me boldly.

It is well Kunsoft.

You will get it the 2nd time by the grace of God.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by flynbird(f): 9:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
Please anyone that sees any late july date in Lagos should let us know. I need a late july date in Lagos embassy. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bones007: 9:35pm On Jun 18, 2013
fidelia.john:
my I-20 came with some medical document. Is it only the first page of the I-20 that i will take to the embassy or I have to fill dis doc and take everytin along?

only the i-20 and ur admission letter are to be taking to the embassy. Best of luck in your interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:36pm On Jun 18, 2013
tuxedo234: i had my interview yesterday morning at Lagos, and i must say the security checks could be overwhelming... Here's how it went
vo: Good morning (with smile)
me: Good morning
vo: Please pass your documents
me: here you go
vo: so you are going to.... (i guess she said this to know if i really knew where i was going..since it was clearly written on my i-20)
me: no.. im going to....
vo: oh i can see that now.
vo: what course are you going for?
me: told her
vo: oh good.. do you have your admission letter?
me: yes i do and (passed it)
vo: ok how did you find out about this school?
me: well um after deciding the course i wanted to study, i searched online then contacted some professors in my school for advice(swift and short answer)
vo: alright.. so you're going for your masters?
me: yes i am
vo: ok which school did you obtain your bsc from?
me: told her
vo: oh thats lovely! do you have any proof of that?
me: gave her my certificate
vo: ok thats great. So you're working now?
me: no.. But immediately after finishing from my university in 2011, i applied for a post nysc job for about 10months before i finally went for my youth service and i just rounded that up last week.
vo: wow great.. so do you know anybody in the town you're going to?
me: (with sad face) no i dont.
vo: awww you dont..ok then.. so whos paying for all these fees( the money on my i-20 is on the high side)
me: my father
vo: and what does your father do?
me: told her and mentioned a "property that my father has that is doing quite well at the moment"
vo: ok do you have any bank statements to support this?
me: yes i do.. one moment please. gave her financial support letter from my father and a "fixed deposit statement" covering all the fees for a year
vo: ok do you have any documents showing how developed your dads property is now?
me: oh yes i do(with a large grin..cos this was the last document that i packed and i didn't think i would need it).. here you go
vo: (immediately sees the document and i know shes's convinced from the look on her face) ok great.. umm do you have any siblings?
me: yes i do. and im d last.
vo: oh cool..where are your siblings now and what are they doing at the moment?
me: told her (both in Nigeria and working)
vo: great.. (she then pauses for a moment and continuously checks some document on her wall.. throughout that time, which to me lasted up to an hour..lol, though it was just 10 secs or less, i was saying in mind "do not reject me, you don't have any reason to reject me"wink she then says
vo: you're gonna pick up your visa on Thursday in ikeja with this document.. have a great stay in the usa
me: (with smile) Thank you so much

Glory be to Almighty God and all members of this wonderful thread for all the info, though i was more of an observer. Congrats also to my one true friend here, oluwawapelumee. We went through all the struggle together yesterday and God rewarded her too with her visa smiley. Please note the vo didn't ask of gre or toefl, which i did and passed well. I guessed what helped me is apart from Baba God, the school i went to for my bsc and the school i was going to for my masters cos she looked impressed. So if possible, please let the school you wanna go to be your selling point.
pls permit me to advice you all and someone close to me said this too. the interview is not a do or die affair and its just like every normal interview. They just wanna know if you're a genuine student and all the questions you would be asked will be from your ds-160. Though they may twist it sometimes, like in the case when she mentioned another school and when she asked me if i was working, cos all this is in my ds-160. She didn't even ask of my discharge certificate. So in summary, let your interview be like a conversation between two people and not like an exam.
And also to that member here with a fixed deposit or to everyone, a fixed deposit is a genuine statement. its even listed on their website as a financial supporting document as "certificate of fixed deposit statements". i was deeply worried before my interview since a member here had an issue with his but i can assure you she seemed happy when she saw it. thanks to all and good luck to everyone with their interviews.

Wowww. Congratulations Tuxedo! That was a terrific interview you got there. And also quite mature. Its one of the best interviews we've had for this season. Congrats.

Now, you can proudly wear a tuxedo suit with clean polished black shoes to match and walk tall while holding your head high up cos you got your visa. cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 9:38pm On Jun 18, 2013
Kunsoft:

So sorry to hear this, kindly share your experience...

Been looking forward to your testimony but God understands better.

I'm sure He has great plans in stock for You, it's yours next time in Jesus name!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:50pm On Jun 18, 2013
JayJsea: I had my visa interview yesterday at the Lagos Consulate and it will be unfair not to share my experience since I benefited alot from this thread.

Let me start by listing the documents I took along.
1. Admission letter
2. i-20
3. DS-160 confirmation
4. Visa appointment confirmation
5. SEVIS receipt
6. IELTS result
7. On-line print out of my GRE result (I couldn't get the original copy)
8. University degree confirmation
9. Bank statements (two different accounts)
10. NYSC discharge certificate.

I forgot my transcript and I didn't get an affidavit of support (since my dad was my sponsor).
I got to the consulate and followed all the long queues. After waiting for a while inside d interview hall, my number flashed at counter 6 and this is how my interview went.

VO: pass me your documents
Me: passed them, good morning sir
VO: good morning, so why are you going to the US
Me: (I was a bit shaky at first) I'm going to the US for my postgraduate studies. I'm going to the University of Lou(oops! dat was a mistake o, I quickly corrected my self and tried to compose my self) I'm going to Louisiana Tech University in Ruston Louisiana for my masters program in Electrical Engineering.
VO: Oh! Louisiana Tech (sounded like he knew the school)
Me: yeah
VO: How many schools did u apply to
Me: 4, University of (VO cuts in)
VO: So where did you do your undergraduate program
Me: I did it here in Nigeria, at the University of Port Harourt.
VO: Sorry? (I guess he didn't hear me)
Me: University of Port Harcourt
VO: What do you do presently?
Me; I'm not working presently, I quit my last job to prepare for this.
VO: Did u take GRE
Me: Yea I did
VO: what was your score
Me: told him and broke down the score for him
VO: So how did you prepare for your GRE
Me: I read a text book, read some materials on-line and also watched some videos on-line
VO: Which text book did you use for your GRE
Me: Barrons
VO: he starts typing on his computer. Types for about 10secs
VO: who is sponsoring you
Me: My dad
VO: What does your dad do
Me: told him
VO: (folds my documents and puts them inside my passport) your visa has been approved, go to Lekki on friday to picl up your visa. (then he hands me a white piece on paper)
Me: Thank you sir. (walked out with a smile on my face)

He didn't ask to see any of my documents, I didn't offer to show him any document, I didn't volunteer any information to the VO, I didn't lean on that "table" in front of me and I held all my documents in my hand. I also maintained eye contact and smiled through out because the VO was very friendly.

Finally it was God that favoured me.

Special thanks to all the Elders in the house
Imperioux, Gboyega, Big Francis, De Tus, Ojap, Justwise and all other who take out time from their busy schedule to attend to people's questions. God bless you all!!!

Congratulations Jajysea. Your interview was what I describe as swift! Selelem welelem! Congrats!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:50pm On Jun 18, 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:52pm On Jun 18, 2013
riverboy: congratulbbbbbbbbbiaaa jayjsea!!!!!! is dat there are no good schools in south carolina? cos no nairalander is heading there or am i walking alone...lol. Anyways wishing success to yall who wl be having their visa interviews this week

Cos south carolina is expensive boy! Ain't no nigga wanna get his black a** down there. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 18, 2013
So i got my transcripts 2day, but the grades were shown from SS1-3. Hope theres no problem..

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.