Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,603 members, 7,851,055 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:45 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (219) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (489425 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kingcobra2003: 10:01pm On Jul 17, 2013
OjaP:

I believe there are. But most people go for STEM not only because they are in high demand here but because the V.O respects you when you tell him/her you are going for MS/PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Thermal Physics, Clinical Biochemistry, All the Engineerings, Geosciences etc.

Although, the US generally respects you if you tell them you are in medical school, law school or engineering school. Unfortunately, they don't think Nigerian visa applicants need to come waste money on LLM except maybe Int'l law because of so many reasons. 3 out of every 10 LLM applicants still get the Visa though.
Hmmm...na wa o! God'll do it for me next time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 17, 2013
I'm particularly sad the VO denied you visa. Sometimes, these VOs are just funny. Lawyers and doctors travel freely whenever they want to. But brother, how could you study American Law instead of International Law. Second, sponsorship was another drawback. She believed with your job profile, you could sponsor yourself or at least stand as self-sponsor. The VOs also knew some folks hire sponsors to firmly stand for them and support their application. It's not a problem. Columbia University is a good school and I do have some friends there. A Japanese, three Canadians and two Chinese.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by WildChild00(m): 10:10pm On Jul 17, 2013
kingcobra2003:

A friend of mine got it that same yesterday without much questions. I mean there are a million and one nigerian lawyers who have gone for their masters in d US. I knw many. I dnt think its a consideration at all.

One thing I seems not to understand about this student visa stuff is that wen one is refused visa, he/she can not appeal, one has to either start all over again, in terms of paying new visa fee.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 10:49pm On Jul 17, 2013
OjaP:

Ivy League schools guarantee you atleast 70% success during the interview. That is if you are not 35years old and just going for undergraduate studies or going there for a Masters in Physical Education or Swimming.

Bad boss. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 10:55pm On Jul 17, 2013
OjaP:

I believe there are. But most people go for STEM not only because they are in high demand here but because the V.O respects you when you tell him/her you are going for MS/PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Thermal Physics, Clinical Biochemistry, All the Engineerings, Geosciences etc.

Although, the US generally respects you if you tell them you are in medical school, law school or engineering school. Unfortunately, they don't think Nigerian visa applicants need to come waste money on LLM except maybe Int'l law because of so many reasons. 3 out of every 10 LLM applicants still get the Visa though.

Twale sir! you're respected. Well, an American lady friend (practicing lawyer) told me for her to relocate from her state to another within this same US, she will have to take another bar exam of the new state she's moving.

Conclusion, American law is dynamic but going for what seems to be conventional may be a good idea to the VOs.

A lady from part one of this thread (can remember her id ...... may be onlyvirgingirl or Ayanfe22 undecided) told VO she's going for conflict and resolution to settle problems in Niger-Delta, Northern and southern part of Nigeria. Trust her, she bagged her visa with standing Twale (ovation) from the VO that interviewed her.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 10:57pm On Jul 17, 2013
kingcobra2003:
Hmmm...na wa o! God'll do it for me next time.

That good. Always be positive even when all seem clumsy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 11:02pm On Jul 17, 2013
@Obsy2020 - Congrats bro... Remember I told You God doesn't fail when You put all your trust in Him.

I'm so happy for You... Cheers!

Shey my broda don give You shayo?..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 11:04pm On Jul 17, 2013
olarwarlay: @Obsy2020 - Congrats bro... Remember I told You God doesn't fail when You put all your trust in Him.

I'm so happy for You... Cheers!

Shey my broda don give You shayo?..

Trust me nau, I no dey waste time on that as long as I'm still on this thread wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 11:53pm On Jul 17, 2013
imperiouxx:

Twale sir! you're respected. Well, an American lady friend (practicing lawyer) told me for her to relocate from her state to another within this same US, she will have to take another bar exam of the new state she's moving.

Conclusion, American law is dynamic but going for what seems to be conventional may be a good ideal to the VOs.

A lady from part one of this thread (can remember her id ...... may be onlyvirgingirl or ayanfe undecided) told VO she's going for conflict and resolution to settle problems in Niger-Delta, Northern and southern part of Nigeria. Trust her, she bagged her visa with standing Twale (ovation) from the VO that interviewed her.

You killed it!! Even if someone coming straight from Naija is allowed to practise, how do we cope in the court room with our thick accent, I doubt it if the Judge will even understand 30percent of what we are saying. That could mean a bad case, no clients, and ultimately no job. Well, some just become immigration lawyer and all they do for their clients is paper work for Green card and citizenship...that one too dey. If I really want to be an attorney in the US, I will go back to take some English and speech classes. It is so needed, unless I am never ever ready to appear in court.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsSantaClaus(f): 1:19am On Jul 18, 2013
kingcobra2003:

Guys, I really want u to get the full picture of hw it went. I am in d office now but will try.
it went thus:

VO: Why do u wanna study @ Columbia?
Me: Columbia is an Ivy League school one of the best categories of uni in d world. It has a rich array of courses germane to my practice areas.
VO: OK,wat course are u going to study there?
me: LL.M,
VO: (LOOKS AT MY I-20) I see here advanced Legal research/studies, general.
me: it is just nomenclature. it is a higher degree in law, also called LL.M. Its the same thing.
VO: Where did u do ur undergrad?
me: mentioned
vo: when did u graduate?
me: mentioned, plus d yr
vo:what hav u been doing since then?
me: after uni, I went to law sch and then work
vo: so u are already working as a lawyer?
me: yes, as an associate in a leading law firm (showed her my ID Card also told her abt my employment letter)
vo:wats an associate?
me: first step in a law firm, after which onw can be promoted to partner which is the highest position
vo: so, who's sponsoring u?
me: my uncle
vo: why would ur uncle sponsor u?
me: he grew up with ma father who took absolute responsibility for him. saw him thru sch and now he has a sort of obligation to do same. I have no dopubt about his sponsorship
vo: how much does he earn monthly
me: he owns an integrated services firm and doesn't earn monthly as an epmployee
vo: gimme an estimate of his monthly earning
me: it may be difficult to say as he doesn't earn monthly salary, he gets his pay as he performs contracts
vo: ok, how much does he pay himself monthly
me: (at this tym I was forced to mention a figure since she insisted so much) about 15 to 20 million
vo: (she looked at a chat that has d exchange rates)do u hav financial docs to show his earnings?
me: yes (showed it to her)
vo: (looks thru it and looks back at me) the figures here don't add up
me: that's the statement I got from him
vo: do u have another statement?
me: no
vo (types in something in the computer) unfortunately, I cannot issue u visa at this tym, the reason is contained in this letter (issues me their usual letter)

Everything went well till you mentioned your sponsor. The VO's find it difficult to understand this concept of uncle as benefactor! Once you bring it up, their radars go on. From there on, their scrutinity is at the height! Couple it with excessive income, unless your uncle happens to be Adenuga or some such, hmm they pounce and shake your evidence like a rabid dog, until they find something to tear to bits! Unfortunately they most times seem to find something.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:11am On Jul 18, 2013
@Ojap, you're absolutely right. He really needs to re-structure his English to North American style of speaking to get paperwork job because Americans do pay a lot of attention to accents. They even criticize the British sometimes. Anyway, good morning everybody!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by zynnnie: 6:32am On Jul 18, 2013
At the embassy and people are all over me about staple of document. What documents am i to pass to vo when she or he says pass ur documents
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 6:37am On Jul 18, 2013
zynnnie: At the embassy and people are all over me about staple of document. What documents am i to pass to vo when she or he says pass ur documents

Only I-20 and every other things follow as VO demands.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kingcobra2003: 6:39am On Jul 18, 2013
Goodmorning all. Thanks for all the helpful insights. I do believe that d sponsor is d problem, not the fact that i'm going to America to study law. I still say that I knw a lot of my colleagues out there studying. As a matter of fact. A law degree from these ivy league schools opens doors here in naija. I really do not want to practice in d US. All i wanted was to go for a nine month LLM prog. Anyway, i dont think its wise to change my sponsor now, it may raise a red flag as per inconsistency. Except I am going to get some cash into my account and be a self sponsored applicant.

I also need ur insights as to whether or not the denials during the old passport period still shows on an applicant's profile. Thanks everyone.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 6:47am On Jul 18, 2013
kingcobra2003: Goodmorning all. Thanks for all the helpful insights. I do believe that d sponsor is d problem, not the fact that i'm going to America to study law. I still say that I knw a lot of my colleagues out there studying. As a matter of fact. A law degree from these ivy league schools opens doors here in naija. I really do not want to practice in d US. All i wanted was to go for a nine month LLM prog. Anyway, i dont think its wise to change my sponsor now, it may raise a red flag as per inconsistency. Except I am going to get some cash into my account and be a self sponsored applicant.

I also need ur insights as to whether or not the denials during the old passport period still shows on an applicant's profile. Thanks everyone.

You guys should know that after 9/11, US start keeping good record of every applicant entering/trying to enter their country. I'll search and post a documentary about things that changed for immigrants into US after 9/11.

If you were denied 10 years ago, your denial reason(s) should have improved by now. Therefore, you will be good if you're not trying to p!mp any of your info.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kingcobra2003: 8:08am On Jul 18, 2013
imperiouxx:

You guys should know that after 9/11, US start keeping good record of every applicant entering/trying to enter their country. I'll search and post a documentary about things that changed for immigrants into US after 9/11.

If you were denied 10 years ago, your denial reason(s) should have improved by now. Therefore, you will be good if you're not trying to p!mp any of your info.

This US Visa thing na wa sha. Maybe I should just bust it and go to the UK.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by yomifowe(m): 8:36am On Jul 18, 2013
OjaP:

Ivy League schools guarantee you atleast 70% success during the interview. That is if you are not 35years old and just going for undergraduate studies or going there for a Masters in Physical Education or Swimming.

But these schools are expensive. How does one pay for the high tuition cost of these schools?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by flynbird(f): 9:21am On Jul 18, 2013
I'm in a mess. My cousin ignorantly sent the $200 sevis fee through money gram and not western union. And my interview is in a few days time!!! I'm pissed off!!! cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dot1(m): 9:29am On Jul 18, 2013
@Babasharon.
Pls can u send me a copy of d Affidavit of support. Thanks a lot
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by yomifowe(m): 9:35am On Jul 18, 2013
OjaP:

I am almost 35 and going for Undergrad degree. What should i do pls?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 10:00am On Jul 18, 2013
Dot1: @Babasharon.
Pls can u send me a copy of d Affidavit of support. My email is olanjohnson2005@yahoo.com. Thanks a lot

Sent
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 10:08am On Jul 18, 2013
flynbird: I'm in a mess. My cousin ignorantly sent the $200 sevis fee through money gram and not western union. And my interview is in a few days time!!! I'm pissed off!!! cry

Babe! U ain't got tym. Tot u busted that plan since and went wit the gieva one?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 10:21am On Jul 18, 2013
kingcobra2003:

This US Visa thing na wa sha. Maybe I should just bust it and go to the UK.

But u self no try at all o...how can u tell the VO ur uncle earns 15-20M monthly and not have proof to back up ur claim. Even the presidents monthly salary isn't upto that.U shlda gone thru his statements earlier and had a figure or an estimate in ur head. I dunno how much my sponsor earns monthly, but I went thru his statements and found the average of the monthly credits to his account and of course dey asked me d same Q and approved my visa afterwards.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by flynbird(f): 10:23am On Jul 18, 2013
vivysparkles:

Babe! U ain't got tym. Tot u busted that plan since and went wit the gieva one?

I m so pissed. Dnt even know what to do next!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 10:30am On Jul 18, 2013
flynbird:

I m so pissed. Dnt even know what to do next!

When is ur interview? How many days exactly have u got left?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by misstoyo(f): 10:37am On Jul 18, 2013
Abuja dates are now available
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 11:01am On Jul 18, 2013
@Fidelia.John just called me! She got her visa approved in Abuja!!! I'm so happppyyyy! Come share your experience girl! cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 11:11am On Jul 18, 2013
kingcobra2003: Goodmorning all. Thanks for all the helpful insights. I do believe that d sponsor is d problem, not the fact that i'm going to America to study law. I still say that I knw a lot of my colleagues out there studying. As a matter of fact. A law degree from these ivy league schools opens doors here in naija. I really do not want to practice in d US. All i wanted was to go for a nine month LLM prog. Anyway, i dont think its wise to change my sponsor now, it may raise a red flag as per inconsistency. Except I am going to get some cash into my account and be a self sponsored applicant.

You may be right after all. Follow your mind bro...Goodluck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 11:13am On Jul 18, 2013
Ms Nas: @Fidelia.John just called me! She got her visa approved in Abuja!!! I'm so happppyyyy! Come share your experience girl! cheesycheesy

Congrats Fidelia...you deserve it. Welcome to the US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by zynnnie: 11:16am On Jul 18, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, my visa was just approved now in lagos. It was magical. Details in few mins,

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by FindOut(m): 11:18am On Jul 18, 2013
Still no dates for Lagos??!!

This is annoying o. Has anyone requested for & gotten an emergency appointment date without booking a normal date first?

zynnnie: Ladies and gentlemen, my visa was just approved now in lagos. It was magical. Details in few mins,
Congratulations!!! Same to FideliaJohn. All the best smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 11:25am On Jul 18, 2013
Ms Nas: @Fidelia.John just called me! She got her visa approved in Abuja!!! I'm so happppyyyy! Come share your experience girl! cheesycheesy

Wow! That's great. The same Fidelia that got denied about 2 weeks ago due to sponsorship (IMO)? Congrats to her. She should come share her testimony o grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.