Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,500 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487998 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by chatdare(m): 10:16am On Jun 03, 2013
ystd4567: @chatdare,

I have read some where on this forum where someone shared his/her F1 undergraduate interview experience in which he/she was asked if he/she wrote NECO. So, I THINK the VO should have no problem with your NECO. Also, alongside with your NECO make sure you write/present a standardised test, which in your case is SAT & TOEFL. Your standardised test would show/portray you to the VO as a serious student who has a clear intent to study in the United States.

The skool am abt to apply to doesn't require sat and toefl for Nigerian undergraduate student. Did I still need to write any standardized test to show the vo at the embassy ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 03, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I don't know much about undergraduate study. However, Its not your SAT that determines if you write TOEFL or not. Its your school. Some schools demand TOEFL from Nigerians and some schools don't. Its left to you to visit your school's website and see if TOEFL is required from Nigerians. Which, if so, you may have to write it.

Another option to not writing the TOEFL is writing to the school requesting for a TOEFL waiver. This you'll email to your school. I don't know if this also applies to undergraduates but this is an option many prospective graduate students utilize to get the TOEFL requirement off their list.

thanks so much for ur time.. I will come back here wit gud news.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 03, 2013
chatdare:

The skool am abt to apply to doesn't require sat and toefl for Nigerian undergraduate student. Did I still need to write any standardized test to show the vo at the embassy ?

what school is that ? Maybe we can board d same boat
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 10:35am On Jun 03, 2013
bodeplot: @Amefrica......Please do Toefl since u have the money to do it and blast it... it might come in handy....all the best

@ All...Pls if someone want to defer Fall2013 admission, which semester am i allowed to defer it to, Spring or Fall 2014? thanks
Spring shld be fine but I guess u shld clear wif ur school tho
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gr8ever(m): 10:48am On Jun 03, 2013
Amefrica:

i heard i dont need Toefl, if i pass SAT very well.how true is this

Who says you dont need TOEFL? sAT is different from TOEFL. This is why i'll advice you search for schools now and know which one your school accept, some school accept only TOEFL, some only SAT and some requires both, but i suggest you write both test to be on a safer side.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 03, 2013
Amefrica:

It's no a matter of you waiving or the school doing it. Try to do those tests so that you can appear to the CO as a serious and committed student. Be in the student mode and mood. Again those tests help sharpen and prepare one.Few go without them and scale through, some get denied.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gr8ever(m): 11:05am On Jun 03, 2013
Amefrica:

Search schools yourself that suites what you want, his choice might not be your choice and this will also justify you as student and not an immigrant .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ystd4567: 11:15am On Jun 03, 2013
@chatdare,

To avoid vain repetition, I believe your question has been answered on the present page which you are on. Go through the response of ferdimako to amefrica.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 03, 2013
gr8ever:

Search schools yourself that suites what you want, his choice might not be your choice and this will also justify you as student and not an immigrant .

i'm not getting sometin here ? What does immigration av to do with student ?! Oh! Do you mean, i can gain citizenship after finishin my studies ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 11:38am On Jun 03, 2013
Good Morning house,

Please am trying to register for TOEFL online but getting to the payment page, is not accepting my visa card. can somebody who has passed through the stages explain how to go about it.
Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 11:45am On Jun 03, 2013
babsharon: Good Morning house,

Please am trying to register for TOEFL online but getting to the payment page, is not accepting my visa card. can somebody who has passed through the stages explain how to go about it.
Thanks.

Use GTB mastercard! Use GTB Mastercard!! I can't say that enough.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ApachaiHopachai: 11:48am On Jun 03, 2013
Good morning people...WOW! we almost at 100 page for this part 4.
I wish all those going for their interviews this month success...go get that visa people.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 03, 2013
Amefrica:

i'm not getting sometin here ? What does immigration av to do with student ?! Oh! Do you mean, i can gain citizenship after finishin my studies ?

Oh lord!!! grin grin grin I'm actually rolling on the bed while typing this grin grin grin dude, your questions are funny grin grin grin

You are putting the cart before the horse... Pls take one step at a time... Go write the SAT as they have said + the TOEFL(if you have the means)... But don't unfollow this thread, keep coming here from time to time to keep tab of people's comments, questions, and possible solutions to challenges. I bet you by the time you are through with your SAT, you would have become a GURU yourself.

This is what I've been doing for the past one month, and I can 'categorically' tell you that I've learned a lot from my ogas at the top here, and no agent can exploit me or tell me what is not when it comes to registering for standardized exams, applying to the right schools, paying my application fee, paying for SEVIS, booking an appointment with the embassy, preparing for the visa interview, getting the cheapest airline to travel with, dealing with immigration at the POE, and eventually getting to my school.

I must confess, I'm no longer the same person that opened this thread for the first time on the 11 of April... cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 12:01pm On Jun 03, 2013
http404error:

@2-chains. I understand your emphasis on confidence, but there are things you can't simply take for granted. I'm sure you can reel out stories of confident folks who got their visas despite showing up before the VO bare-chested. You’re applying for an F-1 visa, and the VO believes at least that school has passed through you. Would you defend your thesis on t-shirt, papa’s cap and 3/4 shorts? Accord the process some respected; those minutes you spend with the VO could be the defining point of your life. My pair of suits would never forgive me if I fail to call it up on such an important day. If you don't have suits, a nice starched shirt with a decent tie would just do.

I don't think we need to emphasize on what to wear. Whatever you are comfortable in will do.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 03, 2013
Gboyega, I sight you "viewing this topic"

How are you and how is work going? Pls I'm sorry for yesterday. I miscalculated... I thought I would be allowed to leave where I was before 3pm sad sad but they didn't allow me.
I tried calling in the evening to come pick it wherever you were, but you didn't answer your phone...

I'll be in Ife by weekend... If there is a way you can squeeze me into your schedule before weekend, I wouldn't mind o! Thanks smiley smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 03, 2013

Double post
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jun 03, 2013
kofsy:

Oh lord!!! grin grin grin I'm actually rolling on the bed while typing this grin grin grin dude, your questions are funny grin grin grin

You are putting the cart before the horse... Pls take one step at a time... Go write the SAT as they have said + the TOEFL(if you have the means)... But don't unfollow this thread, keep coming here from time to time to keep tab of people's comments, questions, and possible solutions to challenges. I bet you by the time you are through with your SAT, you would have become a GURU yourself.

This is what I've been doing for the past one month, and I can 'categorically' tell you that I've learned a lot from my ogas at the top here, and no agent can exploit me or tell me what is not when it comes to registering for standardized exams, applying to the right schools, paying my application fee, paying for SEVIS, booking an appointment with the embassy, preparing for the visa interview, getting the cheapest airline to travel with, dealing with immigration at the POE, and eventually getting to my school.

I must confess, I'm no longer the same person that opened this thread for the first time on the 11 of April... cheesy cheesy cheesy

wow ok thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:20pm On Jun 03, 2013
TO PROSPECTIVE GRE AND TOEFL TEST TAKERS:

It is no longer a hidden fact that GRE and TOEFL test takers in Nigeria cannot register for the test online. Even someone registering on your behalf from abroad is banned once the test taker would still be writing in Nigeria.

Well, I have good news for you. Are you aware that you could still register for the exam by yourself, fast and at the lower official ETS test fee? All you need to do is simply call ETS and register! Its that simple. Just as you can call to schedule a visa appointment, so can you call to register for your GRE/TOEFL test! If saving money is your priority, rather than wasting N50,000 needlessly on GRE agents and enriching their bank accounts when you could simply do it yourself at the cheaper official GRE price of $185(N29600) or at $175(N28,000) for TOEFL, then this option is best for you.

To register, you'll need the following:

1) Your GRE account login details on the ETS website. If you don't have an account already, quickly visit http://www.ets.org/gre to create your account. For TOEFL, you'll need your TOEFL account login details on the ETS website. If you don't have an account already, quickly visit http://www.ets.org/toefl to create your account.
2) A valid GTB MasterCard. I can't really vouch for other types of debit cards because I've not used them before. However, I'm sure of GTB MasterCard because it never fails to work. Take note of the 16-digit card number printed on the front of the card, the expiry date (month and year) also embossed on the front of the card and lastly, the c.v.v code, which is the 3-digit code printed on the back of your ATM card. Have these details handy because you'll need to provide them to the agent to enable them make the payment over there for you. Of course, I need not remind you that you must have funds of, at least, the registration fee amount in your account for a successful payment.

After you must have done the above, then you're ready to go. Call the ETS Registration Center on +31320239593. That is the phone number of the ETS Registration center or Region 9 located in Netherlands and it is the ETS center, out of the 12 regional registration centers worldwide, in charge of registering Nigerians for TOEFL and GRE. Once you call, you'll hear the voice prompt and wait to be connected to the next available customer agent. Once you're connected, the agent will ask you for your login details which will enable him log into your account and register you over there by himself.

First, you'll be asked for these details - first name, middle name, surname, address, date of birth, phone number, email address, preferred test center number and test date. Second, comes the payment stage. At this stage you'll provide the agent with your ATM card details to enable him/her key in the data and make the payment himself. Once successful, you'll be told by the agent and also receive an email immediately containing your examination e-ticket.

PS: Be sure to recharge, at least, N750 credit on your phone as you'll be spending some good quality time on the call (15-20 minutes).

Please, this is in no way a scam but rather, its one of the valid means of registering for the GRE or TOEFL test as you'll see stated on the ETS website:
http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/cbt/
http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register?WT.ac=toeflhome_ibtregister_121127

However, only a few people know about this easy and cheap means. Two noble members from this forum registered successfully on Friday and this morning after telling them about it.

Success.

http://www.ets.org/s/mygre/rrc.html
www.ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/toefl_ibt_rrcs_11-12.pdf

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:21pm On Jun 03, 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 12:21pm On Jun 03, 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 12:34pm On Jun 03, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Thanks bro... just relax bro, ur interview will be fine !!! cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 12:47pm On Jun 03, 2013
kofsy:
Double post

Thought you said your aunt will pick it for you in church on Sunday. Is she going to Ife as well?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 1:31pm On Jun 03, 2013
babsharon:

Thanks bro... just relax bro, ur interview will be fine !!! cheers

@Bigfrancis, I'm surprised, I thought u'v gotten your visa and will be traveling next month because u hv booked ur ticket..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 03, 2013
GboyegaD:

Thought you said your aunt will pick it for you in church on Sunday. Is she going to Ife as well?

Loooool she's not! Ok, will inform her.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 2:16pm On Jun 03, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Big francis !!! GTB Mastercard is not working ooo. I have tried it, just tired
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by osram(m): 3:12pm On Jun 03, 2013
chatdare:

pls wats d name of d skul?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 3:44pm On Jun 03, 2013
babsharon:

Big francis !!! GTB Mastercard is not working ooo. I have tried it, just tired

On a first thought, I was surprised when you mentioned that you were trying to register TOEFL online. To the best of my knowledge, you can't register for TOEFL and GRE Online if you'd be writing in Nigeria. Even someone registering for you from abroad on your behalf is also not allowed once the test taker will still be writing in Nigeria. Each time I get messages like these on this thread about online TOEFL registration, I get surprised.

However, the good news is that you could still register for the test yourself by simply calling ETS. Just as you can call ETS to register for GRE, you can also call them to register for TOEFL. Read my previous post. The same steps that apply to the GRE also apply if you'll be registering for the TOEFL.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 4:27pm On Jun 03, 2013
bigfrancis021:

On a first thought, I was surprised when you mentioned that you were trying to register TOEFL online. To the best of my knowledge, you can't register for TOEFL and GRE Online if you'd be writing in Nigeria. Even someone registering for you from abroad on your behalf is also not allowed once the test taker will still be writing in Nigeria. Each time I get messages like these on this thread about online TOEFL registration, I get surprised.

However, the good news is that you could still register for the test yourself by simply calling ETS. Just as you can call ETS to register for GRE, you can also call them to register for TOEFL. Read my previous post. The same steps that apply to the GRE also apply if you'll be registering for the TOEFL.

Thanks one more time !!! I will do that.
Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by hope4me2012: 5:16pm On Jun 03, 2013
bigfrancis021:

I am certain that you can register for TOEFL online at www.ets.org/toefl.
I registered for mine online using a visa card.
That was just 2months ago.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 5:39pm On Jun 03, 2013
hope4me2012:

I tried †̥o use the online method but not working out for mε. May be I will try what big francis said by making α call.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by winbyforce: 6:50pm On Jun 03, 2013
hope4me2012:

Yeah,TOEFL registration online with VISA card or alternatively by phone.GRE by phone only in Nigeria.Thumbs up to bigfrancis21

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 03, 2013
I didn't get my visa approved today. Not my fault and not VO's fault either. I am only blaming those Americans who invited me to study in the US without taking proper care of my I20's source of funds for my studies. I am totally downhearted rightnow but life continues. Will post my brilliant interview soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.