Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? (12344 Views)

Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Do Prayers Really Have Effect On Our Lives? And Are The Effects Positive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Donmichaelz(m): 9:10am On Mar 20, 2013
As we all know, most parents in African countries especially Nigeria give children names with deep spiritual meanings e.g Oluwaseun, Chukwuemeka, Olusegun, Godswill, ThankGod etc cos they believe these names will impact positively or negatively on the child's life.

In Nigeria, people have taken it to the extent of even dropping or changing their names cos they have negative connotations and meanings

In the Western World, Parents give their kids names like Blue Ivy, Chair, Purple, Trouser, etc in short any thing that catches their fancy can be given as a name to their kids yet these people still end up being succesfull in life....

This raises the question. . .do names have an effect on a child's life?

Do you think really think name's meaning matter? Lets hear your views. . . .
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Nobody: 11:01am On Mar 20, 2013
Hell No! Not a Student of such School of Thought cool
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by GALANTRICH(m): 11:02am On Mar 20, 2013
Yes, I should think so
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by ratchy: 11:02am On Mar 20, 2013
belief of our forefathers & mothers, bt dunno abt the modern fathers & mothers oooo
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by daywatcher: 11:03am On Mar 20, 2013
so a beggar on the street has a name that predisposed him/her to begging?

3 Likes

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by tinuolababy(f): 11:03am On Mar 20, 2013
YES THEY DO
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by GraceBestowed(f): 11:03am On Mar 20, 2013
I believe it does! Simply because you are what you believe! If your name triggers positive reinforcement, you have one less life wahala to worry about.

Imagine being called 'blanket', growing up, that mustn't have been easy, because children can be cruel, and must have taunted that child; that is negative reinforcement, and would have, most definitely, left bad memories! Growing memories form one's personality!

All this is practical (a psychological explanation), I can also explain the spiritual route, but eh, we'll leave it there!

This, as I always say, is my two cents worth!

As my name states, I am bestowed with grace! (^_^)

3 Likes

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by babadey(m): 11:04am On Mar 20, 2013
Yes I do... I seen and heard of some people who changed their names and became successful(but who knows whether they would have still been if they didn't change it) only God.
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Pergrace: 11:04am On Mar 20, 2013
In Nigeria to some extent but in the western world not at all... cheesy
The reason because we tend to be too spiritual and refused to see the positives in every aspect of life.. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by iamswizz(m): 11:04am On Mar 20, 2013
IF YOU LIKE NAME YOUR CHILD 'GEJ'

YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN

1 Like

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by engrj(m): 11:05am On Mar 20, 2013
to me it has nothing to do with someone been successful in life or not WHO GO MAKE AM GO STILL MAKE AM IN LIFE but don't name ur child stupid name.

1 Like

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by mecusbosco(m): 11:05am On Mar 20, 2013
Yes it does have effect. That's why people change their names when they grow up. To an extent, even fathers, grand and great grand fathers names as well. Its not cast on stone though. Our destinies are in our hands!!!
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Orikinla(m): 11:05am On Mar 20, 2013
YES.
The Holy Bible says, as a man thinks so he is.

You will answer the name you are called and once you answer, that is what you are.

8 Likes

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Tjohn1(m): 11:06am On Mar 20, 2013
Yes it does, that was why some names were changed in the bible, like Jacob changing to Isreal

2 Likes

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by LesbianBoy(m): 11:06am On Mar 20, 2013
Goodluck jonathan = Badluck.......so u see @Topic Names have no positive effect on ones life!
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by ubongutioh(m): 11:07am On Mar 20, 2013
Yes, it has effect. Even in the Bible angels changed or give people special names.
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by nairaman66(m): 11:07am On Mar 20, 2013
Sometimes it does.. Most times it has failed. I am using GOODLUCK as a case in point!
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by sholay2011(m): 11:07am On Mar 20, 2013
Does gender also affect one's achievement in life?

The ansa for the above question is the same with that of the thread.
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by konn: 11:08am On Mar 20, 2013
just name ur child madness and see if he will not go mad

2 Likes

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by kennydee05(m): 11:09am On Mar 20, 2013
Yes it does for example there are some names which both Christians and Muslim believes that should not be given by parents to their child.
Note naming of a child is not just an ordinary think you will think of. Rather I will advice you to put many names u have thought for your child of into prayer. Pray concerning the names.
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by IleIfe2(m): 11:10am On Mar 20, 2013
Top of the morning to you, Governor!!!!!!
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Chinwem(f): 11:11am On Mar 20, 2013
They most definitely do
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Lateef9961(m): 11:11am On Mar 20, 2013
Ofcus name has èffect nw.4 example Gej
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 20, 2013
Well, jabez's name had an effect on him until he cried to God to deliver him from the curse of his name. So i believe, your name has an effect on you.

3 Likes

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by babadey(m): 11:14am On Mar 20, 2013
Some do change their names cos of some reasons like - ancestral curse,sickness,the name implying something bad or jast to start afresh (like upgrading ur BB bold2 os to a bold4 os but still with the bold2) hope you get the drift there. Like my name(surname) now means something not to goood but will change it when chanced.
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by babadey(m): 11:15am On Mar 20, 2013
booqee: Well, jabez's name had an effect on him until he cried to God to deliver him from the curse of his name. So i believe, your name has an effect on you.

Correct.
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 20, 2013
i wont comment on dis topic
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by theripper: 11:17am On Mar 20, 2013
One thing is certain, none of my children will bear names like Nebuchadnezzar , Lucifer, Jezebel ,Sapphira or Ishmael. Effect or no effect

2 Likes

Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 20, 2013
It sure does! As curses affect ones life, so names!
Re: Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? by DJDOLA(m): 11:19am On Mar 20, 2013
NOTIN LIKE THAT.....THERE IS ONE MAN CALLED OWOWA...MEANING THERE IS MONEY....D MAN HAS NOTHING HE LATER DIE WIT POVERTY

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Do You Understand By Blaspheming Against The Holy Ghost? / Behold The Richest Pastors In Nigeria! / What Are You Thanking God For As 2020 Is Coming To An End?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.