Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) (7245 Views)

Amaechi Receives Train Model For Rail Project (photos) / Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / What Is Going On With The Lagos Light Rail Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 20, 2013
If you have any information about the on-going light rail project in lagos, kindly post pictures or better still, update us on the current development... thanks.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 20, 2013
sheyie2007: If you have any information about the on-going light rail project in lagos, kindly post pictures or better still, update us on the current development... thanks.
A project that was started by Jakande in the early 80s, cannot still not be completed after 8 SOLID years of Tinubu's reign and 6 SOLID years of Fashola?
Smh!

"The idea of developing rapid transit in Lagos dates from the 1980s with the Lagos Metroline network conceived by the Alhaji Lateef Jakande during the Nigerian Second Republic . [ 4 ] The initial Metroline project was scrapped in 1985 by Muhammadu Buhari at a loss of over $78 million to the Lagos tax payers"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Light_Rail?seg=1
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by geeez: 12:08pm On Mar 20, 2013
Drove by last week

Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 20, 2013
$78million (in the 80s) down the drain?

Unfortunately, the EVIL nature and wickedness of Buhari keep popping up here and there.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by ba7man(m): 12:50pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
A project that was started by Jakande in the early 80s, cannot still not be completed after 8 SOLID years of Tinubu's reign and 6 SOLID years of Fashola?
Smh!

"The idea of developing rapid transit in Lagos dates from the 1980s with the Lagos Metroline network conceived by the Alhaji Lateef Jakande during the Nigerian Second Republic . [ 4 ] The initial Metroline project was scrapped in 1985 by Muhammadu Buhari at a loss of over $78 million to the Lagos tax payers"
Doc, relax. Jakande conceived the idea, Tinubu revived it but work started under Fashola. Stop making it seem like its been on-going for over 30 years. That would be a lie.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:57pm On Mar 20, 2013
ba7man: Doc, relax. Jakande conceived the idea, Tinubu revived it but work started under Fashola. Stop making it seem like its been on-going for over 30 years. That would be a lie.

Can you then let us know what progress has been made after 6 years of Fashola leadership.

Or is the progress made only on the pages of newspapers and social media as usual?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 20, 2013
ba7man: Doc, relax. Jakande conceived the idea, Tinubu revived it but work started under Fashola. Stop making it seem like its been on-going for over 30 years. That would be a lie.
I'm amazed at the level of hypocrisy some persons exhibit on this forum. Why is the URGENCY that is demanded at the federal level not also good for the states? Why should a project that should have been completed in the 80s if not for the intervention of the wicked and incompetent Buhari be still uncompleted after 14yrs of ACN rule in Lagos? I dont understand. And this project is not just any project but a project with huge potential for job creation, easing of traffic congestion, enhanced local economy,etc

@ba7man..,I know you dont behave like some other senseless ACN supporters but the point has to be made.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by karlmax2: 1:04pm On Mar 20, 2013
we should relax cos is FASHOLA and his FROM THE ACN RIGHT BUT wANT GEJ TO FIX ALL NIGERIA'S PROBLEM IN 2 YEARS.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by grafikii: 1:26pm On Mar 20, 2013
Where are the subsidy refineries promised by gej.
As for the rails, work is ongoing, they have gotten to the national theater and I guess the lagoon is the next point.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Goddex: 1:27pm On Mar 20, 2013

Hm . . . so Tinubu spent 8 solid years reviving a railway project conceived by Jakande
only for the actual work to commence under Fashola? By the way, what do you mean
by "revive" and why should it take so long?

Whereas, it took the same Tinubu barely one year to build personal property such as Oriental Hotel, Shoprite Ikeja, Nations Newspaper,
Nations Airlines, Radio Continental, TV Continental
etc. Is this how APC plans to rule Nigeria? I'm forced to agree with Bakare who
termed all those APC guys as rogues.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 20, 2013
E be like say dem don free am angry
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 20, 2013
grafikii: Where are the subsidy refineries promised by gej.
As for the rails, work is ongoing, they have gotten to the national theater and I guess the lagoon is the next point.
Pics?
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by seunfly: 2:02pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Smh!

Is it not the same you that will be ranting, crying, fighting and ?.?.?. if peaple link the great work of Jeg in power and railway to OBJ. Even though we all know that obj used it to steal money 4 his third term agenda.
Why decend so low to that level? I expect u to u criticise positively by scrutinising the means of funding, safety, vaibility and delay of the project the way peaple criticised the Gej railway someone posted some days ago so that we can also learn and see it in another perspective than the way they presented it to us.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 20, 2013
grafikii: Where are the subsidy refineries promised by gej.
Stop the mischief. Yes Refineries were promised but that was with complete removal of the subsidy. Only about half of the subsidy was removed, making the expected funds cut by half. Consequently, the SURE-P projects was slashed by half. The Refineries and a few other projects were removed. You cant eat your cake and still have it.

To build refineries, the govt has to look for alternative funds.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by seunfly: 2:18pm On Mar 20, 2013
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by grafikii: 2:24pm On Mar 20, 2013
sheyie2007:
Pics?
Sorry I can't stand on 3rd mainland bridge to snap pictures o
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by grafikii: 2:28pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Stop the mischief. Yes Refineries were promised but that was with complete removal of the subsidy. Only about half of the subsidy was removed, making the expected funds cut by half. Consequently, the SURE-P projects was slashed by half. The Refineries and a few other projects were removed. You cant eat your cake and still have it.

Really? Look for alternative funds, like 4 billion for the first lady and I haven't seen anything sure p where I stay since I have been paying 97 naira per litre.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by ba7man(m): 2:28pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I'm amazed at the level of hypocrisy some persons exhibit on this forum. Why is the URGENCY that is demanded at the federal level not also good for the states? Why should a project that should have been completed in the 80s if not for the intervention of the wicked and incompetent Buhari be still uncompleted after 14yrs of ACN rule in Lagos? I dont understand. And this project is not just any project but a project with huge potential for job creation, easing of traffic congestion, enhanced local economy,etc

@ba7man..,I know you dont behave like some other senseless ACN supporters but the point has to be made.
Point noted, but you and i know this Country is riddled with uncompleted projects of immense economic significance abandoned by previous Governments so we don't need to act as if this one is an exceptional case . Why i'm not excited by actions carried out by the FG is because G.E.J is trying to do too much in the midst of corruption there-by giving rise to more over-inflated projects that provide avenues for corrupt individuals enriching themselves. He needs to send strong signals at tackling that root problem first and everything else will fall in place.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by TonySpike: 2:35pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Smh!

Stop confusing people, my friend!!! Jakande's project was an underground railway system; this totally different from the overhead light rail system presently being constructed in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by ba7man(m): 2:40pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

G.E.J should take that bold step to reduce the cost of governance in Nigeria and watch him become highly reverved by even his strongest critics. That should be a good starting point at raising money. Leaning on the already weak masses will only result in them snapping soon. He's the "commander in chief" of this country and he has all the resources within it at his disposal.....He should take that step and tackle that corrupt, over bloated, over paid cabinet he maintains and ensure that Governors do the same too. I bet if he did that, fuel will become cheaper instead.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by KGB2008: 2:41pm On Mar 20, 2013
Ask Jangaba grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Idokojimmy: 2:57pm On Mar 20, 2013
So TINUBU spent 8years reviving an idea? Lol
Definition of failure

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by ba7man(m): 3:19pm On Mar 20, 2013
Idokojimmy:
So TINUBU spent 8years reviving an idea? Lol
Definition of failure
The notable project i remember Tinubu carried out was the upgrading of Lagos Island C.B.D. I'm not really crazy about him or his "Mafia style" of leadership. I'm not a fan of him.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 3:22pm On Mar 20, 2013
ba7man: Point noted, but you and i know this Country is riddled with uncompleted projects of immense economic significance abandoned by previous Governments so we don't need to act as if this one is an exceptional case . Why i'm not excited by actions carried out by the FG is because G.E.J is trying to do too much in the midst of corruption there-by giving rise to more over-inflated projects that provide avenues for corrupt individuals enriching themselves. He needs to send strong signals at tackling that root problem first and everything else will fall in place.
You guys just write as if this corruption of a thing is hidden somewhere and govt will just go there and arrest the corruption. If any govt starts fighting corruption the way some persons think, that govt will so distracted that it wil end up doing NOTHING in 4yrs. And if that happens, the same persons urging the govt to fight corruption will turn around and say na corruption we go chop.

If corruption has taken root over the last 5 decades, it will take serious and patient re-engineering of the system and persons to achieve the sort of sanity that we all hope for.

I believe that the fight of corruption should be more of PREVENTION and less of trying to recover the loot after it has been stolen. I'm sure you heard the amount of money the British govt spent on Ibori's prosecution alone? Can Nigeria afford to spend such money chasing after thieves alone at this time?
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by ba7man(m): 3:25pm On Mar 20, 2013
Goddex:

Hm . . . so Tinubu spent 8 solid years reviving a railway project conceived by Jakande
only for the actual work to commence under Fashola? By the way, what do you mean
by "revive" and why should it take so long?

Whereas, it took the same Tinubu barely one year to build personal property such as Oriental Hotel, Shoprite Ikeja, Nations Newspaper,
Nations Airlines, Radio Continental, TV Continental
etc. Is this how APC plans to rule Nigeria? I'm forced to agree with Bakare who
termed all those APC guys as rogues.
How can you compare the expertise, finances and logistics required to construct an over-head rail system running for several kilometers to constructing buildings on one spot??
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 20, 2013
ba7man: G.E.J should take that bold step to reduce the cost of governance in Nigeria and watch him become highly reverved by even his strongest critics. That should be a good starting point at raising money. Leaning on the already weak masses will only result in them snapping soon. He's the "commander in chief" of this country and he has all the resources within it at his disposal.....He should take that step and tackle that corrupt, over bloated, over paid cabinet he maintains and ensure that Governors do the same too. I bet if he did that, fuel will become cheaper instead.
Though this thread is not about GEJ but he is not obliged to do it your style. If I were the president, I might do things differently. Same with you.

You'r insinuating that his govt is trying to carry or do too much, but the southwest is presently crying over marginalisation in his govt. Some of the persons that worked for his election in 2011 are crying that they'v been left without any compensation.

My experience in leadership is that no matter how you try, you cant please everyone. One just has to keep doing his best.

Provided the size of his govt or the so called corruption does not prevent the construction of second Niger bridge, the building of the Kano-Maiduguri road, rail lines,etc I DONT CARE..
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by ba7man(m): 3:35pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
You guys just write as if this corruption of a thing is hidden somewhere and govt will just go there and arrest the corruption. If any govt starts fighting corruption the way some persons think, that govt will so distracted that it wil end up doing NOTHING in 4yrs. And if that happens, the same persons urging the govt to fight corruption will turn around and say na corruption we go chop.

If corruption has taken root over the last 5 decades, it will take serious and patient re-engineering of the system and persons to achieve the sort of sanity that we all hope for.

I believe that the fight of corruption should be more of PREVENTION and less of trying to recover the loot after it has been stolen. I'm sure you heard the amount of money the British govt spent on Ibori's prosecution alone? Can Nigeria afford to spend such money chasing after thieves alone at this time?
Pardoning Alamesiegha was one of the ways not to fight corruption. Under Ribadu i'm sure there was that feeling in the air that EFCC was doing something right (Even though Obj sometimes used them to hound his opponents) but that fear of EFCC is now gone. Bills should be passed, people arrested not pardoned. Tired of lilly livered Presidents that fail to realize the amount of power and resources they truely have. When high profile corruption cases came up of recent, people predicted that it would be swept under the rug which seems to be what's happening. Do you mean G.E.J's hands are so tied he has no idea how to use those situations to show the world he's a no nonsense President??
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 20, 2013
ba7man: How can you compare the expertise, finances and logistics required to construct an over-head rail system running for several kilometers to constructing buildings on one spot??
But if GEJ had done any of those, the whole of Nigeria would have been set on fire by the opposition and their internet foot solders. Remember Tinubu did most of those as the governor of a state or leader of the opposition parties. This same Tinubu, along with Buhari, is the face of the opposition today, who are promising to do better than the incumbent.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by ba7man(m): 3:51pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Though this thread is not about GEJ but he is not obliged to do it your style. If I were the president, I might do things differently. Same with you.

You'r insinuating that his govt is trying to carry or do too much, but the southwest is presently crying over marginalisation in his govt. Some of the persons that worked for his election in 2011 are crying that they'v been left without any compensation.

My experience in leadership is that no matter how you try, you cant please everyone. One just has to keep doing his best.

Provided the size of his govt or the so called corruption does not prevent the construction of second Niger bridge, the building of the Kano-Maiduguri road, rail lines,etc I DONT CARE..
He might acomplish all that and more but it will be at highly over-inflated costs and the quality won't be worth the cost (This is the norm in Nigeria but can't G.E.J be the president to change that??). These projects would have served as the perfect opportunity to tackle over-inflation of Contracts and exhorbitant kick-backs. He's supposed to set-up a trusted team that carry out these back-stage verifications and project monitoring for him. That would be a step in tackling corruption in project implimentation. If things like this are sucessfully implimented, do you think it won't help reduce the drain on the nation?? No one is against anyone making a profit on a Government project but 800 percent profit and such is outrageous and no good leader should sit down and watch that happen under his nose.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2013
ba7man: Pardoning Alamesiegha was one of the ways not to fight corruption. Under Ribadu i'm sure there was that feeling in the air that EFCC was doing something right (Even though Obj sometimes used them to hound his opponents) but that fear of EFCC is now gone. Bills should be passed, people arrested not pardoned. Tired of lilly livered Presidents that fail to realize the amount of power and resources they truely have. When high profile corruption cases came up of recent, people predicted that it would be swept under the rug which seems to be what's happening. Do you mean G.E.J's hands are so tied he has no idea how to use those situations to show the world he's a no nonsense President??
So which high profile corruption case was "swept under the carpet" recently? Highlight them pls.

GEJ is not OBJ. OBJ was impeaching governors with six lawmakers then. Talk of fighting illegality with illegality. The current president is not like that.

However you look at it, the people that inserted pardon in the constitution did not intend that it will be used to fight corruption. Pardon is meant for those who have sinned, not saints. The law gave the president and council of state the right to pardon SINNERS. The same law also gave the EFCC, ICPC, Police,etc the powers to fight corruption. These later bodies cannot claim to have lost their lawful powers to fight corruption because the president and council of state exercised their lawful powers to grant pardon.

Since the pardon was granted, the EFCC has not slowed down its prosecution of corrupt persons, neither has the judiciary abdicated its role.

All the conjectures, speculations,extrapolations,etc that the pardon of Alams will increase corruption in the land bother on SENTIMENTS and pure mischief.

Can we say that if Alams was not pardoned, Nigeria would automatically score certain points in terms of anti-corruption war? Even before Alams was pardoned, when Transparency International published its ratings, some Nigerians said Nigeria ought to have been rated the most corrupt country.

My impression in all of these is that there are very few patriotic Nigerians. For most persons, it is about personal benefit. If calling Nigeria the cost corrupt country in world or setting Nigeri on fire would satisfy their selfish gains, they dont mind.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by ba7man(m): 4:04pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
But if GEJ had done any of those, the whole of Nigeria would have been set on fire by the opposition and their internet foot solders. Remember Tinubu did most of those as the governor of a state or leader of the opposition parties. This same Tinubu, along with Buhari, is the face of the opposition today, who are promising to do better than the incumbent.
Do you know how much G.E.J gets per barrel of Oil sold in this country?? Why do you think they all want to die in that position as president?? Because he's silent doesn't mean he's a fool, he's in a position of overwhelming Power. Whatever Tinubu has is change to G.E.J. Babangida was the first to start receiving 2percent, Abacha increased it to 4percent and now i feel that's the motivation to being a President in this Country now. I'm still waiting for the first president to refuse the money.
Re: Lagos Light Rail Project. (UPDATES) by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 20, 2013
ba7man: He might acomplish all that and more but it will be at highly over-inflated costs and the quality won't be worth the cost (This is the norm in Nigeria but can't G.E.J be the president to change that??). These projects would have served as the perfect opportunity to tackle over-inflation of Contracts and exhorbitant kick-backs. He's supposed to set-up a trusted team that carry out these back-stage verifications and project monitoring for him. That would be a step in tackling corruption in project implimentation. If things like this are sucessfully implimented, do you think it won't help reduce the drain on the nation?? No one is against anyone making a profit on a Government project but 800 percent profit and such is outrageous and no good leader should sit down and watch that happen under his nose.
FG is not state govt that lack effective legislature to serve as checks on what the executive does. The FG is being policed by a vibrant national assembly. In that NASS, the opposition are as vociferous as ever. Some members of the current NASS are forever looking for things to use in embarrassing the executive. No over-inflated contract will just sail thru like you just insinuated.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Inauguration Of Governance Support Group(gsg), South East Zone / Buhari Not Validly Nominated, Says Okupe / Reps Minority Crisis: Edwin Clark Urges PDP To Sheath Sword

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.