Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Did You Guys Do These At School? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Did You Guys Do These At School? (1314 Views)

Have You Guys Heard Of Gyft.ng / How Long Did It Take You Guys To Become Strong Java Programmers / Am a Software Developer.... But I need help from any of you guys. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Guys Do These At School? by Otuabaroku: 3:02pm On Mar 20, 2013
For those us that studied computer science in school,could you please give a brief summary of the following modules if you did them at school. The modules are:
1 Combinatorics
2 Algorithms
3 Computability theory and turning machines
4 Computer Architecture
5 Logic Design
6 Operating systems
7 Computer Security
8 Networks
9 Databases
10 Distributed Systems
11 Automata
12 Compiler theory and implementation
13 Computer Languages
14 Cryptography
15 Parallel Computing

I mean the way you guys covered these modules at school. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Otuabaroku: 10:51am On Mar 21, 2013
ouch! 30 views no reply, I 'm worried now. grin

Coming from Electrical and Electronic engineering background. I am obsessed with computer science. My passion has made me pursed self personal development in this area .

In this pursuit, I realized that computer science is not all about coding, java, c++,C etc. for instance , my friend that just secured a job in bank of america entry role of £42k starting salary was never tested on those languages but his problem solving skill, logic reasoning and numerical reasoning skill.

In my quest for personal development on what I love with passion,I came across the topics above as the central to computer science. Some of the topics listed above ,I have studied. However, I wanted those that studied computer science to give a brief summary of what is covered, so that someone like me on self development, would know the level at which these topics would be covered to be good enough. That was why I listed the topics for the input our great computer scientists in the house to give a brief description of what were covered in these topics.

Thanks again for your input in anticipation.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by b4jesus: 12:28pm On Mar 21, 2013
this is a whole lot, and very wide topics too. just like computer architecture, databases, networks even operating systems. i suggest u google them individually, u'll get lots of notes and explanations that way. good luck!
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Otuabaroku: 9:31am On Mar 22, 2013
Thanks b4jesus. More views please.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by farouqzaib: 9:46am On Mar 22, 2013
Hi,

Seeking individual opinion is IMHO too much work. However, like earlier suggested, Google is your friend. That should give you more insight than any you can get here. If after your search you need help on clarifying some concepts, it'll be easier to help you as the focus would have been narrowed. Coursera has a lot of material on most of the topics you listed. I suggest checking out the website.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Otuabaroku: 12:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
@ farouqzaib thanks.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Fayimora(m): 2:28pm On Mar 23, 2013
Everything above is in my curriculum(Some I am yet to officially take). Personally, I think the names are self explanatory but I'll advise you read the wikipedia entries for each of them. FYI, some of the modules listed are not standalone modules.

I'm happy to tell you more about any one in particular though wink

Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by codeninja(m): 12:42am On Mar 25, 2013
I did CS in OAU Ile-Ife...and 90% of those were in my syllabus. the lecturers might not have taught them exceptionally well, but they tried their best.
so none of those are new.

Ask your question.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Otuabaroku: 12:46pm On Mar 28, 2013
Sorry guys for responding late. I did not see your replies until now. Actually , what i want is a brief description of what was covered when you guys were doing the aforementioned topics at school( course outline). Yes, you can easily come across the materials that covered them online or elsewhere, but how would you gauge if the material covered it to the standard breath? Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Phemmmy(m): 10:44am On Mar 29, 2013
Data structures and Algorithms are the bedrock of Computer science.
Unfortunately, it cannot be easily understood even lectures who tend to know it get confused.
Those people coding without understanding these courses intoto are on a long thing.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Otuabaroku: 2:37pm On Mar 29, 2013
Hi Phemmmy, thank you for your reply. Like I stated before, I have done some of those courses before ,but for some I have not. What I want is like course outline. For example, the first part of algorithm I studied , I covered the following topics:
Sorting and Searching
Divide and Conquer algorithms
Basic Randomised algorithms
Graph Search
Shortest Paths
Heaps, Search Trees and Hash Tables.
Now if I had relented, I would have considered those topics as the only topics I needed to study in Algorithm. But further study on algorithm, proved that they were not all I needed to study in algorithm and data structure.

So is other topics I listed above. Wanted to know from those with computer science background, what is expected to cover in each of the topics listed based on the course outline.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Phemmmy(m): 7:00pm On Mar 29, 2013
The major thing which i think is the most important as a software developer is the ANALYSIS OF ALGORITHMS.
I means analysing the mathematics behind it.
Moreso,it makes you determine the speed and accuracy of your program and you can start working towards developing faster softwares than the existing ones.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Otuabaroku: 7:14pm On Mar 29, 2013
@Phemmmy, I have shifted from software developer to those topics I listed.As for Algorithm design and analysis, I think have done a great deal of the topic. But there are some other ones I'm yet to cover, like Automata,Cryptography,Parallel Computing etc. That's where I want you guys to say something(course outline e.g).
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Fayimora(m): 9:19pm On Mar 29, 2013

If you are trying to be exceptional in all fields, I'll say DO NOT waste your time. It's almost impossible!

Otuabaroku: Sorry guys for responding late. I did not see your replies until now. Actually , what i want is a brief description of what was covered when you guys were doing the aforementioned topics at school( course outline). Yes, you can easily come across the materials that covered them online or elsewhere, but how would you gauge if the material covered it to the standard breath? Thanks in anticipation.

IMHO, RESEARCH! Online courses? Well, yeah they are actually getting better but I prefer to have a conversation with the top guys in other Universities. At least that is what I do. I have friends in other unis and we talk wink

Final advise, no matter how good your lecturer is, there is only so much he/she can teach you! From what I gather, the top CS students are those that go the EXTRA mile.
Re: Did You Guys Do These At School? by Otuabaroku: 4:17am On Mar 30, 2013
Thanks Fayimora.

(1) (Reply)

Need To Improve My Algorithm Skills (omo_to_dun,fayimora,ekt_bear And All) / To Programmers Looking For JOBS And CHALLENGES / Artificial Intelligence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.