Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,441 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? (1028 Views)

If Nigeria Continues Like This, I May Have To Start Stealing / All Elections In Nigeria Were Rigged Since 1960 - Jonathan / Pidgin English As Our National Language-what's Your Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by aminho(m): 8:32pm On Mar 20, 2013
Distinguish nairalanders i have been wondering for so long cus of the love i have for nigerian languages as to If Nigeria was to have a fourth official
language, what should it be?as you all know the need of A lingua franca has arisen around the globe throughout
human history, sometimes for commercial
reasons (so-called "trade languages"wink but
also for diplomatic and administrative
convenience, and as a means of
exchanging information between people so lets discuss it as friends and not as foes reasons for your opinions are welcomed
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by Bigcake: 8:43pm On Mar 20, 2013
I would have preferred Efik/ ibibio language to others. Reasons being that the language is already known by most Nigerians. And it is a nice language to listen to, though it sometimes sound like Chinese language. Dimi= come hear. Abadie= how are u? Idemfo= how is ur health? Didia mkpo = come and eat. Tietieh= sit down. Mbok= please or abeg. Sorsongho= tank u. That's the beauty of the language.

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by aminho(m): 8:48pm On Mar 20, 2013
as for me i will go for kanuri or fulani they are one of a kind fulani are found all over nigeria and they make up 30 percent of our population
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by pheyikemi: 9:06pm On Mar 20, 2013
I think chinese sinz som govts r wlcmin pple frm china
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by Evergreen4(m): 10:37pm On Mar 20, 2013
Ijaw is d language.

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by specialguest(f): 10:46pm On Mar 20, 2013
Pidgin English would be better. We are already "unofficially" using it almost everywhere. From The high and mighty in the society, the uneducated market women, the educated students, the semi literate gatemen,the school drop out maids,our old fashioned grand parents,down to our very own buddies, almost everyone in Nigeria speaks pidgin irrespective of tribe.

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by Yewe2011(m): 11:47am On Mar 21, 2013
probably should be fula or ijaw since they are the next largest ethnic groups after the big 3 (yoruba,igbo,hausa)
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by Freiburger(m): 2:52pm On Mar 21, 2013
Edo language, the language of peace.
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by Biggyd2: 5:22pm On Mar 21, 2013
specialguest: Pidgin English would be better. We are already "unofficially" using it almost everywhere. From The high and mighty in the society, the uneducated market women, the educated students, the semi literate gatemen,the school drop out maids,our old fashioned grand parents,down to our very own buddies, almost everyone in Nigeria speaks pidgin irrespective of tribe.

I heard one Prof.Egbokhare of the University of Ibadan speak on this. In fact, from what he and the invited guest to the program said, some students are already taking pidgin language as a course in the university. Saw this: http://books.google.com.ng/books/about/The_Nigerian_linguistic_ecology_and_the.html?id=N7QPAQAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y, online when I checked him out. And for more on his works see: http://arts.ui.edu.ng/FOEgbokhare.

I think it will be a good idea to have a language belonging to all of us in Nigeria that will be recognized globally.
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by specialguest(f): 8:24pm On Apr 06, 2013
Biggyd2:

I heard one Prof.Egbokhare of the University of Ibadan speak on this. In fact, from what he and the invited guest to the program said, some students are already taking pidgin language as a course in the university. Saw this: http://books.google.com.ng/books/about/The_Nigerian_linguistic_ecology_and_the.html?id=N7QPAQAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y, online when I checked him out. And for more on his works see: http://arts.ui.edu.ng/FOEgbokhare.

I think it will be a good idea to have a language belonging to all of us in Nigeria that will be recognized globally.

Nice to hear that. Thankx for the links Biggyd2
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by ACM10: 9:44pm On Apr 06, 2013
Pidgin English
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by dasparrow: 4:25pm On Apr 07, 2013
pheyikemi: I think chinese sinz som govts r wlcmin pple frm china

God forbid bad thing. Check out inferiority complex in full display. Chinese ko, chinese ni. Mtshew!

@Post

I will say, pidgin.
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by pheyikemi: 4:57pm On Apr 07, 2013
dasparrow:

God forbid bad thing. Check out inferiority complex in full display. Chinese ko, chinese ni. Mtshew!

@Post

I will say, pidgin.
I beg ur pardon, inferiority complex to who? Do I luk lyk ur govt hu said students shd learn chinese? Abeg park well jor.
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by Temismith(f): 6:36pm On Apr 07, 2013
Yoruba, iboh or hawusa undecided
Re: If Nigeria Were To Have A Fourth Official Language, What Should It Be? by aminho(m): 12:28pm On May 08, 2013
Kunuri

(1) (Reply)

Help!!! SANUSI, CBN Governor Email Address / Bomb Blast At Bayangari Bauchi / INVESTIGATION: Massacre In Gboko: Soldiers At Dangote’s Factory Kill 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.