Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 (731 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of "Unlimited Domains"? / The Meaning Of CAPTCHA & 6 Types Of CAPTCHA / Link Wheel Service - Eight Web 2.0 Spoke: Fast Serp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by mambenanje(m): 7:53pm On Mar 28, 2008
what is WEB 2.0 ?
I get confussed when I think about this term, is it abou AJAX or about community driven solutions or about php sites or about the web cloud or about advertisement backed websites or about millions of dollar websites or about venture capital backed solutions or about rounded buttons or about a particular style of designing sites or about any web business or about flash/flex RIAs or about what ?,
somebody help me out with some good explanations.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by smartsoft(m): 8:09pm On Mar 28, 2008
me ma self is always fused up when i hear that word WEB 2.0
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by my2cents(m): 8:50pm On Mar 28, 2008
Without looking at the wiki (which is what you actually should be doing, but I digress wink), I will say that the term has more to do with concepts than the technologies used to accomplish those concepts. In other words, it is not about ajax but about how ajax could be used to enhance the user experience with respect to the concepts, on such web2.0 sites. So tag clouds, community, carousels, tagging as well as the ridiculous (like logos with reflections) all fall into that category.

Personally, I am sick and tired of the "web 2.0" craze. In the states (or at least where I live), it is not uncommon to see a job description where "must be familiar with the web 2.0 paradigm" is a minimum requirement. Such a description is usually written by someone in the personnel department who has no earthly clue as to what the term actually means. I usually just skip descriptions and go to the next one.

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by mambenanje(m): 12:21pm On Mar 29, 2008
@my2cent
I like your explanation yet I have been reading all that and I cant figure out what web 2.0 refers to. at the end of the day web 2.0 is actually what you think it is when you are creating a web 2.0 site.
So any person on earth defines his or her own web 2.0 like we all define our own XML schema
hope I am not wrong ?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by OlatundeO: 3:24pm On Mar 29, 2008
web 2.0 refers to the social networking sites we now have all over the internet. as many as u can remember or mention, facebook, myspace etc.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by my2cents(m): 4:12pm On Mar 29, 2008
Look at this this way mambe:

Just like AJAX, LAMP, WAMP, 4GL, etc it is just a buzz word without which it would get no traction. It's just referring to the next generation of websites/apps out there. As you said, you can pretty much define what that next generation is for you. It could be a community, or any app that you decide to come up with on your own.

It is basically any website/app that brings together people from various walks of life and which allows such people to do things online that they would normally do at a physical social gathering.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by danteweb: 4:48pm On Mar 29, 2008
Web 2.0 can easily be termed "Next generation creativity". Its more of a trend, a style, a fashion. Also, web 2.0 is gradually becoming the promise of performing normal desktop activities such as accessing, creating, saving and sharing information on the internet.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by smartsoft(m): 5:30pm On Mar 29, 2008
danteweb are you online ? want to talk to you on IM. my Im is "smartsoftngr"
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by danteweb: 6:34pm On Mar 29, 2008
i'm on yahoo
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by kazey(m): 6:55pm On Mar 29, 2008
Simply Web version, and in this case 2.0 it could be 3.0 or 2.1 tomorrow. hahahah nothing technical about it.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by naijafan(m): 11:19am On Mar 30, 2008
danteweb:

Web 2.0 can easily be termed "Next generation creativity". Its more of a trend, a style, a fashion. Also, web 2.0 is gradually becoming the promise of performing normal desktop activities such as accessing, creating, saving and sharing information on the internet.

You just hit the nail on the head.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Web 2.0 by smithandy(m): 6:00pm On Mar 31, 2008
Web 2.0 is a solution that enables the collective wisdom of many to be harnessed and used for the greater good. In the earlier days of the web (Web 1.0), it was assumed that knowledge was concentrated in the domain of some experts. Communications was always from them and pretty much was a monolog. In Web 2.0, it is assumed that knowledge resides in the community. The Web 2.0 tools enable that knowledge to be expressed in such applications like Wikipedia (encyclopedia by everybody), LinkedIn (business directory), etc.

Web 2.0 applications become very powerful tools in places where little or no information exists and the cost of gathering it by an agency will be prohibitive. Harnessing the information is much more efficient and relatively inexpensive.

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy For Web Designer / Object In Softdrink, How Much Will You Sue For? / Be Mcse, Ccna, A+ Certified On Your Own. Get Your Visual Trainer Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.