Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,434 members, 7,826,679 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! (2359 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home / What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by ty4real(m): 3:32pm On Mar 29, 2008
It has come to my observation that most Nigerians who have visited or stayed abroad create a false impression,especially when they come visiting,they make abroad look as if they pick the money on the streets.I remember a friend of mine who travelled and came back and all his friends that he had before he went were just way backward and could not fit into his present so called status even though he was just a student.Share your experiences about Nigerians living a hide seek life abroad and once they come they act as if there is no one else taht is has rich has they are.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by naijadiva2(f): 7:43pm On Mar 29, 2008
i guess its because those in nigeria are expecting them to be all that because they are living abroad. a lot of people that do go home do too much like getting nails done, buying expensive weave, buying an outfit that cost more than their weekly paycheck and talking with the fakest accent ever but do not have a really good job that pays them enough. i know when i went to nigeria with my brother and grandma this past winter, she was buying us all these nice clothes so that we can actually look like we came from america. Of course i didn't argue cuz that's free clothes for me but really i didn't care. I;m like, i'm not trying to impress no body. but of course, she was.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by Chacal: 8:26pm On Mar 29, 2008
@ naija_diva,

U can't be serious!!!!!!!!!

The quality of life abroad(esp UK and USA) cannot be compared to Nigeria.
This is not about anyone living a fake life.
Its reality!!!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by Nobody: 9:46pm On Mar 29, 2008
It's only when the individual is materialistic, he tends to bother about such frivolities. If you are a simple person, people's attitude towards your make up wouldn't matter to you.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by danity: 9:50pm On Mar 29, 2008
Where do I start?
Is it the story about the rascal who was hitting on me in a fake yankee accent, only for him to pick up his phone and blast thick naija pidgin?
Or is the boy who borrowed his friend's car to impress me?
Or is the one who told me that his "Mercedes" was in the shop so he was given an old honda to use for the mean time?
Or is it my friend that came into the states for 5 weeks and the next time I talked to her, she had a bf who believed that her daddy was Harry Akande?
Or is it that girl who wears all the latest clothes, shoes and bags to class when she barely affords to feed herself once in 2 days?

I can go on and on but I choose to stop here.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by naijadiva2(f): 10:20pm On Mar 29, 2008
Chacal:

@ naija_diva,

You can't be serious!!!!!!!!!

The quality of life abroad(esp UK and USA) cannot be compared to Nigeria.
This is not about anyone living a fake life.
Its reality!!!!!

what are you talking about? i never compared life in the UK/US to Nigeria. I never said people are acting fake. my point is that people expect you to be rich once you live aboard and when they go back home to visit, they start acting a certain way and i have seen it with my own eyes.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by Chacal: 11:18pm On Mar 29, 2008
People's expectation is purely academic here.

When Lagos residents go to their village in the East, it's the same royalty that surrounds em.
It is like that globally. . . . people expect a lot from the city dwellers but it doesn't mean Nigerians abroad front or are living a fake life.
Why can't we narrow it down to the cultural differences between Nigeria and UK/USA.

You cannot hold me responsible for the way Nigerians think about me.
For instance, if i go to Nigeria and dress as casual as i can be. . . . .people would still see it as over-dressing and say i am fronting.
When u wear PJs to sleep, u are fronting cos they expect u to tie wrapper on your waist and sleep.

These are the kinda things people perceive to be living a fake life.
I don't go to Nigeria to impress anyone. . . . However, they still see the normal way of living here as being sophisticated.
So, who is to blame?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by naijadiva2(f): 11:26pm On Mar 29, 2008
ty4real:

[b]It has come to my observation that most Nigerians who have visited or stayed abroad create a false impression,especially when they come visiting,they make abroad look as if they pick the money on the streets.[/b]I remember a friend of mine who travelled and came back and all his friends that he had before he went were just way backward and could not fit into his present so called status even though he was just a student.Share your experiences about Nigerians living a hide seek life abroad and once they come they act as if there is no one else taht is has rich has they are.

that wouldn't be considered acting fake. i'm not talking about ordinary things. the poster of this thread wants to know why they create a false impression when they visit nigeria and some do. they make it seem like they are living the life when a lot of them are struggling a lot more than their family and friends back home.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by Ajebota(f): 1:14am On Mar 30, 2008
lol, While it is true that alot of Nigerians visiting naij from yankee, jand etc like to pose, you have to consider the fact that (at least for those who actually live abroad) they buy their clothes abroad and you can ALWAYS differentiate between made in Jand clothes and made in Abba clothes grin

Also to be honest I find that alot of youths (i didnt say most or all!)that live in Naij pose far more than those who live abroad and visit. My brotha and I just laugh when we see ppl 'baffing' up to go to the Palms cheesy That stuff is FUNNY. i def dont baff up 2 go 2 Vue cinema or Odeon,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by Finecat(m): 1:18am On Mar 30, 2008
bla, bla bla blahhhahahah
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by Imani(f): 1:18am On Mar 30, 2008
naija_diva:

that wouldn't be considered acting fake. i'm not talking about ordinary things. the poster of this thread wants to know why they create a false impression when they visit nigeria and some do. they make it seem like they are living the life when a lot of them are struggling a lot more than their family and friends back home.

Could it also be because the same family and friends back home place unnecesary expectations on these people, thereby causing some people to show off what they don't have?

I went home 2 years after after a long period of absence. I was surprised to be asked "what did you bring for me from the land of the  queen"? These were extended relatives. I wasnt aware i was to "bring" anything for anybody. It is a different thing when you give people gifts out of freewill, but when it is a burden, then people will try to "keep up with the jones". A lot of the people showing off probably do so on credit cards and then come back and work like animals again to regain financial freedom. It can be a vicious cycle. The moral of the story always do ONLY what you can afford. If someone whats to get angry, that fine.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by debosky(m): 1:27am On Mar 30, 2008
Pseudo life? Largely due to unrealistic expectations. And some feel the need to appear better than the 'local' peeps. To get into debt in order to impress some people is not only stupid, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by Imani(f): 1:33am On Mar 30, 2008
debosky:

Pseudo life? Largely due to unrealistic expectations. And some feel the need to appear better than the 'local' peeps. To get into debt in order to impress some people is not only stupid, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

My sentiments exactly!!!

How have you been? wink.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by iice(f): 1:13pm On Mar 30, 2008
Hehehehe na them know
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by prince84(m): 1:32pm On Mar 30, 2008
i think its cus there is alot of expectation from home,

even if your in afghanistan, to your folks and pips down in naija your in yankee

so for you not to dissapiont them alot of pips pretend.

my best advise to pips is to be real, so there would not be too much expectation.
let them no he situation on ground.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by anusule(m): 7:32pm On Mar 30, 2008
we have seen different topics on this "issue" several times, na wa oh,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by ty4real(m): 7:33am On Mar 31, 2008
naija_diva:

i guess its because those in nigeria are expecting them to be all that because they are living abroad. a lot of people that do go home do too much like getting nails done, buying expensive weave, buying an outfit that cost more than their weekly paycheck and talking with the fakest accent ever but do not have a really good job that pays them enough. i know when i went to nigeria with my brother and grandma this past winter, she was buying us all these nice clothes so that we can actually look like we came from america. Of course i didn't argue because that's free clothes for me but really i didn't care. I;m like, i'm not trying to impress no body. but of course, she was.

You are right!I feel you.
anusule:

we have seen different topics on this "issue" several times, na wa oh,
Oga,if you dont have any meaningful contribution,why dont you shut your young mouth up! grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by slimgene(m): 7:27pm On Mar 31, 2008
@ ty4real,

That was harsh. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Abroad Live A Pseudo Life ! by komekn(m): 11:40pm On Mar 31, 2008
I have friends and family in the two extremes those who have and those who don't have at all, The reality is thats its a no win situation, you give problem! you don't give problem!!
Those that have put no expectation on me and those that don't have, i am compelled to help out the best i can, they don't even have to ask, unless your blind and completely self centred, you can't help but notice.
The reality is that your hotel bill for the night can exceed someones monthly pay, but what can you do ??
Herein lies the paradox, peoples perception impacts upon the way the behave to you and the way you behave to them, its takes something special ;like the grace of God for you not to be affected and behave like a conceited, inconsiderate, self centered buffoon, who doesn't know where he or she is coming from ( just look at the number of our politicians in power who lived abroad)

I TIRE !!! shocked

(1) (Reply)

Help!! Turkish Visa Through GHANA / What The Average Americans Really Know About Nigeria/africa / My Humiliating Ordeal As A Slave In Oman: 22 Year-old Nigerian Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.