Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted (6505 Views)

Rumour Has It That Akpabio Is Dead: Not True / Oh Godswill Akpabio Is D Man, This Is Wow, Am Short Of Words. / Jonathan Spendthrift: Enough Is Enough - Punch Editorial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by fkaz(m): 10:12pm On Mar 23, 2013
The PDP defended the Akwa Ibom Governor.
The ruling Peoples Democratic Party has defended the high-spending Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Godswill Akpabio, saying he is not a spendthrift as accused by observers, but a ‘kind hearted’ person.
The Akwa Ibom Governor has been criticised by residents of his state and civil society groups for his seemingly extravagant donations largely to people who are already wealthy. Some of the spending of the governor that have been condemned include his decision to use state funds to sponsor 20 people to the wedding of Nigerian singer and multi-millionaire, 2face Idibia, in Dubai; and his decision to donate a brand new SUV to the couple. Others include the purchase of bullet proof customized cars at exorbitant rates and unsolicited donation to PDP leaders.
He also recently donated N230 million on behalf of PDP Governors at a program for Otuoke, President Goodluck Jonathan’s hometown in Bayelsa; while many of the governors, who are having problems paying their workers’ salaries, said they were not consulted before the donation was made.
Mr. Akpabio’s critics accuse him of extravagance despite being unable to promptly pay workers salaries and the level of poverty in Akwa Ibom.
The governor’s party, the PDP, however, said there is nothing g wrong in the way the governor spends money.
“These spin doctors have continued to portray Akpabio’s genuine benevolence and kind heartedness in bad light, all in a desperate attempt to disparage him and cause a division in the PDP Governors’ Forum,” the PDP spokesperson, Olisa Metuh, said in a statement on Saturday.
Mr. Metuh also said there is nothing wrong in Mr. Akpabio helping to mobilize PDP members who came for the party’s South South zonal rally.
“The N1 million Akpabio donated to each of the six state chapters of the PDP in the South South was not for an individual but to provide welfare for over 500 delegates from each of the chapters, who travelled all the way to Port Harcourt, River State capital for the rally,” he said.
The PDP said every single donation by Mr. Akpabio has been on issues, extolling the values of Akwa Ibom to care for humanity.
“However, in their desperation and traditional homage to deceit, propaganda, and lies, the opposition has become completely blinded to the truth,” he said.
The PDP spokesperson said instead of taking a cue from Mr. Akpabio, the opposition chieftains have become lapdogs to their godfather to whom they channel resources meant for the development of their states.
“While Akpabio is using his resources for the benefit of the people, other Nigerians who have made themselves tin gods and emperors are busy appropriating state funds while converting the property of the state to personal belongings in their gullibility and blind quest for material acquisition,” he added.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/126492-akpabio-not-spendthrift-hes-benevolent-kind-hearted-pdp.html
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by takedat(m): 10:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
Why won't he be benevolent when the slogan of PDP is "share the money"! PDP will forever be smug and content with a profligate waste-pipe, frittering away the collective wealth of the people as long as he is doling out outlandish cash gifts to party bigwigs, even if the people of the state are mired in poverty!

6 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by mensdept: 11:06pm On Mar 23, 2013
some of these men need to be deposed along with these fake az.z pastors
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by Nobody: 9:31am On Mar 24, 2013
take dat: Why won't he be benevolent when the slogan of PDP is "share the money"! PDP will forever be smug and content with a profligate waste-pipe, frittering away the collective wealth of the people as long as he is doling out outlandish cash gifts to party bigwigs, even if the people of the state are mired in poverty!

Why cant some people like you use their brain? Would you prefer those Governors, speaker and national assembly members that donates millions of naira to BOKO HARAM from the monthly allocation derived from the southern nigeria?
If you dont knw what is happening in naija pls, ask others.

1 Like

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by OmoTier1(m): 9:42am On Mar 24, 2013
emmydeep:

Why cant some people like you use their brain? Would you prefer those Governors, speaker and national assembly members that donates millions of naira to BOKO HARAM from the monthly allocation derived from the southern nigeria?
Very stupi comment indeed! In your shallow reasoning, two wrongs make right. Have you asked yourself if this wasteful spending was ever part of the budget? Do you realise how many people would have benefitted if this wasteful spending was used to build high standard of maternal care facilities in the rural areas of Akwa-Ibom that is still wallowing in abject poverty despite the billions of dollars accruing to that state yearly?

The sad reality is there are so many in Nigeria who reason just like you and it's sickening to me belly.

24 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by takedat(m): 10:19am On Mar 24, 2013
emmydeep:

It is you who needs another brain to make half-wit. There are a lot of christian and muslim casualties on the receiving end of Boko haram's menace, so if some governors decided to donate in order to rehabilitate those affected isn't it a good cause than to give N6million to some sleazy party chiefs for refreshment? So many dunderheads in Nigeria!

9 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by sexyboocalher(f): 10:30am On Mar 24, 2013
8th
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by Akshow: 10:31am On Mar 24, 2013
and someone in his right senses will still vote for this party. we are our own enemy.

4 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by Decapo: 10:32am On Mar 24, 2013
Ok
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by free2ryhme: 10:35am On Mar 24, 2013
This Akpadio boy is still very dull and cannot tell the difference between service and recklessness. What good does an the gift of an SUV to an individual bring to the whole of Akwa Ibom State. His defence is as twisted as the mind from which it was concievied.

4 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by Nobody: 10:38am On Mar 24, 2013
This man sponsored 20 people to 2face's wedding in Dubai on state funds!

shocked shocked

20 people!

Honestly, some of these governors need to be treated Anini style angry

7 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by labasulla(f): 10:42am On Mar 24, 2013
Is кιєѕ...
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by labasulla(f): 10:43am On Mar 24, 2013
Despite the hard times and the daily ugly news we get in this country... friends, I've got good news for you...."Mango is out" grin grin

15 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by myners007: 10:56am On Mar 24, 2013
PLS MR GOV EXTEND UR BENEVOLENCE TO THOSE WHO CUDNT AFFORD DIA MEDICAL BILLS,PAY SCH FEES INSTEAD OF DOLING OUT GIFTS TO CELEBRITIES DAT DONT ACT AS GUD ROLE MODEL TO D YOUNGER GENERATION

5 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by drlaykay(m): 10:57am On Mar 24, 2013
How can you tell me a man who is in charge of a state's fund is not prudent?If PDP could agree he isn't a spendthrift, they simply have agreed he doesn't worth that post and should be impeached. undecided
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by chreldb(m): 11:15am On Mar 24, 2013
labasulla: Despite the hard times and the daily ugly news we get in this country... friends, I've got good news for you...."Mango is out" grin grin

Your not serious grin grin. Abeg send me some mango o.

2 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by Ice4jez(m): 11:29am On Mar 24, 2013
u know one funny thing.u complain dat the governor is wasteful but if u re the one collecting the gift u wont tink dat oh.politic in naija is crazy.u see cpc criticising pdp dat dey re this n dat while the case is vice verse.can u seriously tell me u dont want to see someone dat will change ur life for dis our country dat everyone is trying to survive.
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by victorD3: 11:29am On Mar 24, 2013
Whats annoys me in the case of Godswill Obot Akpabio is that his state civil service is one of the least paid even after implementing the minimum wage he was shouting to have implemented. A level 9 civil servant in River State is paid 90k while Akwa-Ibom state is paying a level 9 60k

2 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by taharqa: 11:30am On Mar 24, 2013
As we talk about d seeming Reckless spending of Gov Akpabio, lets also not forget to talk about how perhaps, NO oda Gov in Nigeria since d return of Democracy hv done more work on INFRASTRUCTURE in their state than dis same Gov Akpabio...... Cut down d unnecessary spending Gov, but continue d Development in yr state
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by tantita(m): 11:42am On Mar 24, 2013
Sometime i feel people are trans stupid or meta stupid..saying akpabio is benevolent wit whose money?...his or d states?. Our collective wealth held in trust by one man being squandered n yet people are calling it benevolence.

4 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by GenOrumov: 11:43am On Mar 24, 2013
emmydeep:

Pure rubbish!!!

4 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by rozayx5(m): 11:53am On Mar 24, 2013
abegii , haterz make una leave my Governor alone, abi u don chop dis morning, quit hating, or go in search of mangos as recommended grin grin

The day our youths start developing entrepreneurship mentality , politics will loose most of its current power, for now me i dont send Government as long as you can give me good roads and freedom of movement i will settle my life, either Akpabio gives 1 billion to goats or not it wont bother you if you have some thing more important doing tongue

3 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by lordjay: 11:54am On Mar 24, 2013
yh, it's nice for the governor of a rich state like Akwa Ibom to be benevolent, but i still feel that the governor often goes above board on some of this spendings...quite alot of it are usually unnecessary!
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by maxhatman: 11:59am On Mar 24, 2013
Guys, there's a big issue here:

This is no trivial issue, if the akwa ibom state governor donated his PERSONAL money to 2 face's wedding, there is no issue there, it's totally legal. The only issue will be to verify the source of his personal money.

However, if it's the state's money as alleged, it's not a small issue, and let me say why:
1. Public sector finance is one of the most heavily controlled and standardized systems, you cant spend money anyhow, cos all sources of money are kept in special "buckets" called funds, in fact, if one fund is in surplus, you can't use it to fund another source except by using a special request called a "Virement".
2. What I said above isn't theoretical, it's In practice, you see, when people steal public money, they don't just go to the government account and loot, they need a special way of doing this that still makes accounting sense e.g. They budget contracts at $40m when they know it cost only $20m, the rest of it goes to their pocket
3. If akpabio took the money from state funds, he needs to let the people know what aspect of the budget it is from. If it is from the revenue expenditure budget, we need to know what aspect those funds (I bet the expenses were up to $100,000) were supposed to be used for, under finance, you can't take from something without another thing suffering

Please note: there is a clear difference between corruption and lack of governance. In the US, there is corruption(google Enron,Barings bank, AIG), however the corruption is done within the ambits of good governance(that is, the controls put in place were circumvented) however, if this story is true, it is a lack of governance, and any system without governance will elf destruct(try damaging the control of your pressing iron, you'll be shocked at the power of heat). This is just my observation, the observation of just another random Internet dude.

3 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by aurenflani: 12:02pm On Mar 24, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Very stupi comment indeed! In your shallow reasoning, two wrongs make right. Have you asked yourself if this wasteful spending was ever part of the budget? Do you realise how many people would have benefitted if this wasteful spending was used to build high standard of maternal care facilities in the rural areas of Akwa-Ibom that is still wallowing in abject poverty despite the billions of dollars accruing to that state yearly?

The sad reality is there are so many in Nigeria who reason just like you and it's sickening to me belly.

Why are you such a pathetic liar? Name the northerners that are donating to Boko haram to kill their own people and show evidence.

You are one of the most poisonous Nigerians.

Sorry. I didn't mean to reply you but that trouble mischief maker who thinks that everything his brain reported to him is the law of nature.
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by victorD3: 12:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
rozayx5: abegii , haterz make una leave my Governor alone, abi u don chop dis morning, quit hating, or go in search of mangos as recommended grin grin

The day our youths start developing entrepreneurship mentality , politics will loose most of its current power, for now me i dont send Government as long as you can give me good roads and freedom of movement i will settle my life, either Akpabio gives 1 billion to goats or not it wont bother you if you have some thing more important doing tongue

A fool blabing

2 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by awodman: 12:10pm On Mar 24, 2013
take dat: It is you who needs another brain to make half-wit. There are a lot of christian and muslim casualties on the receiving end of Boko haram's menace, so if some governors decided to donate in order to rehabilitate those affected isn't it a good cause than to give N6million to some sleazy party chiefs for refreshment? So many dunderheads in Nigeria!
Please who was the N200 million APC governors donated handed to and what are modalities for the victims accessing this fund...I missed that part of the news
Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by Demdem(m): 12:19pm On Mar 24, 2013
emmydeep:

Like post, like poster.
Both extremely Foolish.

1 Like

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by snowytee(m): 12:20pm On Mar 24, 2013
Akpabio has definitely been a good governor.Wide range of infrastructural development but I must say these benevolent acts are getting out of hand.If the money is too much and he has exhausted what he wants to do for us,his people,he should go from village to village and share this money from family to family rather than dashing our money to irrelevant issues.Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by Inik(m): 12:20pm On Mar 24, 2013
Akpabio by nature is a generous man. At different times he has given money to poor people who desperately needed it. He is a man who understands the nature of money and what it can bring you. In our nigerian society money can buy you power, positions, honour, goodwill etc. Akpabio is sitting on top of tens of billions of naira that comes from crude oil sales every month. Sadly he has crossed the limit and he is now swimming in the waters of financial recklessness. We are all worried because at the pace he is going he might bankrupt Akwa ibom state before his tenure ends.

2 Likes

Re: PDP: Akpabio Is Not A Spendthrift, He’s Benevolent, Kind Hearted by PIPPROF(m): 12:28pm On Mar 24, 2013
victorD3:

A fool blabing

An idioti.c ITK quoting tongue tongue

he said his mind, speak your and stop insulting, we know you are insultive, but you can keep that for december when u visit your kinsmen at the joint undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Secondary School Students Kiss And Grope After Writing Final Exams / Buhari To Sign Climate Change Pact In New York / Dozens Of Fulani Massacred By Christians - Photo From The Scane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.