Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Medical Recall - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Recall (6656 Views)

Government Vows Not To Recall Sacked Doctors / Do You Have Any Insights On The Recall Of Depuy Hip? / Product Recall? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Recall by Nobody: 1:03am On Mar 24, 2013
Welcome to this academic exercise. It's going to be fun and we'll learn at the time.

For further explanation about this thread click [url=https://www.nairaland.com/1235064/medix-call-r%C3%B6%C3%B3m]here[/url]
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 1:09am On Mar 24, 2013

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 1:13am On Mar 24, 2013
Let's try this chest x-ray of a child

What abnormality/abnormalities can you appreciate?

Attempt a diagnosis

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 4:00am On Mar 24, 2013
I see some atelectasis (unless its just my screen) and what appears to be TOF
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 24, 2013
SniperInADiaper: I see some atelectasis (unless its just my screen) and what appears to be TOF
wow,sniper who taught you all these...there's no atelectasis but TOF is a top most differential.
Re: Medical Recall by JoannaSedley(f): 11:01am On Mar 24, 2013
Pulmonary atresia or
tetralogy of fallot or
ventricular septal defect

1 Like

Re: Medical Recall by omicron(m): 11:46am On Mar 24, 2013
centje: Let's try this chest x-ray of a child

What abnormality/abnormalities can you appreciate?

Attempt a diagnosis
a classical "boot-shaped" heart of Tetralogy of Fallot(TOF). The heart takes on this shape as a result of right ventricular hypertrophy occasioned by pulmonary stenosis of TOF, which apart from enlarging the heart, characteristically lifts the apex of the heart off the right dome of the diaphragm. Needless to repeat, there is obvious cardiomegaly. The lung fields and bony chest wall and the diaphragmatic domes appear normal.
Re: Medical Recall by omicron(m): 11:59am On Mar 24, 2013
Centje the title of "Medical Call Room" sounds more interesting to me. Or maybe " Ward Round - Where Doctors, Nurses, Med Students, Health Professionals Discuss" .....sth like that
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 12:04pm On Mar 24, 2013
You guys just dissected the x-ray. Omicron, can you throw more light on the management of the condition?
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
omicron: Centje the title of "Medical Call Room" sounds more interesting to me.
i actually reserved the title for off topic chat. Have you seen the thread?
Re: Medical Recall by omicron(m): 12:18pm On Mar 24, 2013
centje: You guys just dissected the x-ray. Omicron, can you throw more light on the management of the condition?
Definitive management is Surgical.

Most patients will present with central cyanosis (bluish discoloration of the lips and toungue), chest symptoms-including chronic or intermitent cough, shortness of breath worse on exertion, fever(if secondary infection is present), failure to thrive (failure to gain expected weight, height or reach other expected milestones). Patients may also present in heart failure. On examination, patients are mostly cyanotic, /_ febrile, /_ pale. Underweight, below expected for height. Chest symptoms will correspond to prevailing chest infections and signs of cardiac failure. CVS signs of heartfailure. Displaced apex beat. ?a particular kind of murmur(someone should remind me)

Oxygen therapy is the mainstay of initial medical management. Concurrently, samples are taken for blood gas analysis, PCV/Hb, FBC, SEUCr, sputum m/c/s. Pulse oxymetry and CXR. Managed in cardiac position, or ?Tripod position. Antibiotic therapy as needed. Heart failure managed as appropriate too (frusemide, oxygen, etc) Blood transfusion witnout fluid overload. Nutritive management as needed.

Definitive treatment is corrective surgery.

Prognosis is bad.

1 Like

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 24, 2013
In emergency treatment,i can recall this acronym POMA-Position(tripod or squatting), Oxygen, Morphine, and Acidosis
Re: Medical Recall by omicron(m): 12:33pm On Mar 24, 2013
centje: In emergency treatment,i can recall this acronym POMA-Position(tripod or squatting), Oxygen, Morphine, and Acidosis
Excellent centje! Morphine for pain control. Acidosis arising from increased PCO2.(Respiratory), and this must be corrected too.
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 12:39pm On Mar 24, 2013
Do you know centers in Nigeria where this surgery can be done? And is the prognosis also that bad for surgically treated cases?
Re: Medical Recall by JoannaSedley(f): 12:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
You mean proper diagnosis and surgery. Not in my Naijaaaaaaa. Common name- hole in the heart, indiaaaaaaa straight.
Except if we have a competent board certified consultant peadiatric cardiothoracic surgeon( experienced) hiding somewhere in this hellhole.
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 12:55pm On Mar 24, 2013
Joanna Sedley: You mean proper diagnosis and surgery. Not in my Naijaaaaaaa. Common name- hole in the heart, indiaaaaaaa straight.
Except if we have a competent board certified consultant peadiatric cardiothoracic surgeon( experienced) hiding somewhere in this hellhole.
i think there are trained professionals in nigeria. Maybe lack of required facilities will discourage them.
Re: Medical Recall by JoannaSedley(f): 1:04pm On Mar 24, 2013
Well maybe.
But it requires a team you know, i mean full competent and experienced surgical team and extras.
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 24, 2013
centje: wow,sniper who taught you all these...there's no atelectasis but TOF is a top most differential.

Did you forget I ran an ICU. tongue

I know way more medical stuff than I should.
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 3:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
@joan.
I will find out the centres in nigeria.

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
@sniper
You're lucky. That means you can save a lifecheesy

1 Like

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 25, 2013
What abnormality can you see on the lady(standing right)?

Attempt a diagnosis?

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
There's webbed neck.

Turner's syndrome.
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:00pm On Mar 25, 2013
Turner syndrome is caused by a missing or incomplete X chromosome. People who have Turner syndrome develop as females. The genes affected are involved in growth and sexual development, which is why girlswith the disorder are shorter than normal and have abnormal sexual characteristics.

How do people get Turner syndrome?

Normally, females inherit one X chromosome from their mother and one X chromosome from their father. But females who have Turner syndrome are missing one of their X chromosomes.

Turner syndrome is typically caused by what is called nondisjunction. If a pair of sex chromosomes fails to separate during the formation of an egg (or sperm), this is referred to as nondisjunction. When an abnormal egg unites with a normal sperm to form an embryo, that embryo may end up missing one of the sex chromosomes (X rather than XX). As the embryo grows and the cells divide, every cell of the baby's body will be missing one of the X chromosomes.

The abnormality is not inherited from an affected parent (not passed down from parent to child) because women with Turner syndrome are usually sterile and cannot have children.

In about 20 percent of Turner syndrome cases, one X chromosome is abnormal. It may be shaped like a ring, or missing some genetic material.

About 30 percent of girls with the disorder are only missing the X chromosome in some of their cells. This mixed chromosomepattern is known as mosaicism. Girls with this pattern may have fewer symptoms because they still have some normal (XX) cells.

One of the missing genes on the X chromosome is the SHOX gene, which is responsible for long bone growth. The missing SHOX gene is the reason girls who have the disorder are unusually short. Other missing genes regulate ovarian development, which influences sexual characteristics.

What are the symptoms of Turner syndrome?

Turner syndrome affects growth and sexualdevelopment. Girls with this disorder are shorter than normal, and may fail to start puberty when they should. This is because the ovaries (which produce eggs, as well as the sex hormones estrogen and progesterone) fail to develop properly.

Women with Turner syndrome appear to have a stocky appearance, arms that turn out slightly at the elbow, a receding lower jaw, a short webbed neck, and low hairline at the back of the neck.

Other medical symptoms include: lymphedema (swelling of hands and feet), heart and/or kidney defects, high blood pressure, and infertility (inability to have children).

How do doctors diagnose Turner syndrome?

About half of the cases are diagnosed within the first few months of a girl's life bythe characteristic physical symptoms (swelling of the hands and feet, or a heart defect). Other patients are diagnosed in adolescence because they fail to grow normally or go through puberty.

When the doctor suspects Turner syndrome, a blood sample can be used to make a karyotype (a chromosome analysis) and the diagnosis can be confirmed.

Turner syndrome may be diagnosed during pregnancy with a chorionic villus sampling (CVS) or amniocentesis. Alternatively, an ultrasound (a machine that uses sound waves to look inside a mother's uterus) canidentify the disorder by its physical symptoms before the baby is born.

How is Turner syndrome treated?

Hormone replacement therapy is the best way to treat this disorder. Teenagers are treated with growth hormone to help them reach a normal height. They may also be given low doses of androgens (male hormones which females also produce in small quantities) to increase height and encourage normal hair and muscle growth. Some patients may take the female hormone estrogen to promote normal sexual development.

Interesting facts about Turner syndrome

Turner Syndrome affects 60,000 females in the United States. This disorder is seen in 1 of every 2000 to 2500 babies born, with about 800 new cases diagnosed each year.

In 75-80% of cases, the single X chromosome comes from the mother's egg;the father's sperm that fertilizes the egg is missing its sex chromosome.

Turner syndrome is named for Dr. Henry Turner, who in 1938 published a report describing the disorder.

The average height of an untreated womanwith Turner syndrome is 4 feet 8 inches.

A female fetus (normally XX) can survive with only one X chromosome, but a male fetus (normally XY) could not survive with only one Y chromosome. This is because nothaving an X chromosome is much worse than not having a Y chromosome. The Y chromosome carries very few genes essential for life. In contrast, the X chromosome is a much longer DNA molecule and contains many, many genes that are needed for cells to function.

source
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:08pm On Mar 25, 2013

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
am not a medical student, following all the way!

good work centje!
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 9:11pm On Mar 25, 2013
Vicky kiss

Fenks! Not only for medics,topics that you can make an input will definitely come up at some point.
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 26, 2013
ok let me ask a question, the picture of the ladies with webbed neck and turner's syndrome, is it heredity, what causes it and any solution to it?
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 4:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
@vicky
I think that my post after the pic will answer your questions. Don't tell me that small article in too lengthy to read undecided
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 26, 2013

Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 6:27pm On Mar 26, 2013
o sorry! is heredity
the pic above please throw more light
am learning cheesy
Re: Medical Recall by Lagusta(m): 7:07pm On Mar 26, 2013
Dr. Centje, lets yarn more stuff, please tell me a little about tako tsubo cardiomyopathy, we were asked during our final MBBS
Re: Medical Recall by Nobody: 7:13pm On Mar 26, 2013
~vicky~:

o sorry! is heredity
the pic above please throw more light
am learning cheesy
there's a part of the article you missed wink

Look very closely at fingers behind the write up in that pic. They appear abnormal,that abnormality is called finger clubbing. The possible causes of it were then listed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Can't One Eat Mango And Banana Together / How Healthy Is Tissue Paper? / MEN'S HEALTH: Strictly For 40 And Above!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.