Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

The Cost Of University In Nigeria/Ghana (USD) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Cost Of University In Nigeria/Ghana (USD) (844 Views)

Photos Of University Of Ilorin / See The Cost Of Studying For 5 Years In A Nigerian University / Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Cost Of University In Nigeria/Ghana (USD) by RandomAfricanAm: 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2013
Hello,
I'm from the U.S blackbelt region(Alabama). Currently I'm finishing up my Software Engineering degree.

Question:
How much in USD does an undergrad degree cost where you are? How much did your undergrad education cost?

Context( If you want to answer the question without the context go for it )
To often African Americans graduate from university and leave thier communities to look for work. Now I could mention other components that cause this but the one I'm interested in is simply the reality that people graduate $30K-$60K in debt. Your only given a small window to get a job(god forbid you want to start a company). As a result they move out serving as a tax base for educating someone elses kids and is also a brain drain on the communities they grew up in. I see the need for African Americans to open businesses where they grew up as a foundation for future graduates(through out the diaspora & continent) to have a home base to develop there ideas.

A good example is Tylor Perry studios in Atlanta that hires people from the community and serves as a homebase for actors to develop and show case their skills along with a taxbase to further educate the children. I also applaud Nigerias' movie industry for developing thier own thing instead of comming to hollywood and begging Europeans for a role like so many here in the states. Sidenote: I think African Americans investing in Nigerias movie industry would be a great move. A great talent exchange and a home base for African Americans to film in locations not native to the US.

Summery
I'm curious if an education in Nigeria/Ghana or some other African country would be more cost effective and allow graduates to come out ready to develop thier skills and community as oppose to focusing on paying down massive debt. Oddly enough grad school in the U.S is not as bad given the paid positions they offer grad students.

Thank you !
Re: The Cost Of University In Nigeria/Ghana (USD) by RandomAfricanAm: 7:30pm On Mar 25, 2013
^^^
bumpety bump bump

(1) (Reply)

Uniben Dentistry Aspirant Join Me Here / Madonna Hostel Gutted By Fire: One Student Dead, Three Injured / Ambrose Alli Uni First Batch Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.