Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba (13320 Views)

How Do I Recover Saved Pages From My Android Opera Mini / Download The New Opera Mini 6.5 / Solution To Nokia S40 3rd Edition Error Using Opera mini to Browse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 9:54am On Mar 31, 2008
I know there's a few Opera Mini users on here, so I thought I'd let you know that Opera Mini is available in Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.  The translated versions have been available for a while but not well advertised.

To download: browse with your phone to mini.opera.com and click on "Download in another language".

At the moment downloading to a desktop computer won't work because they never updated the list of languages at operamini.com, but I've told the relevant people and it's going to be fixed.

This is sort of an advert, I work for Opera on the Mini team.  But before I worked for them I lived in Kaduna and I know how difficult mobile browsing can be on MTN.  We think we have quite a few users in Nigeria but it's difficult to tell because the traffic mostly seems to come from Portugal (the end of the SAT-3 cable) or various satellite earth stations.

Now I just need to find somewhere in Sweden where I can get amala and egusi grin
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hayprof(m): 10:08am On Mar 31, 2008
I gotta check!. . cool
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by honsule(m): 10:11am On Mar 31, 2008
@prof.Me too.I think i will need the Hausa opera.
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by honsule(m): 10:23am On Mar 31, 2008
@prof.I just downloaded the Hausa version of the opera mini.It replaces my english opera.E.g Darkata:wait. Shigar da rubutu.
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by honsule(m): 10:24am On Mar 31, 2008
@prof.I just downloaded the Hausa version of the opera mini.It replaces my english opera.E.g Dakata:wait. Shigar da rubutu.Etc
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hayprof(m): 10:34am On Mar 31, 2008
honsule:

@prof.I just downloaded the Hausa version of the opera mini.It replaces my english opera.E.g Dakata:wait. Shigar da rubutu.Etc

k, Shigar da rubutu meaning? shocked
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by honsule(m): 10:41am On Mar 31, 2008
It means:enter what you want to write/type. Tarihi:history. Shigar da adireshi:enter address. Which language did you download?
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by naijafan(m): 10:56am On Mar 31, 2008
my phone keeps opening the web page and not the wap page. then it tells me to open mini.opera.com on my mobile phone browser.

WTF?! angry angry

BTW, i use the N82
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hayprof(m): 11:07am On Mar 31, 2008
use the 'Services' browser* wink
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hayprof(m): 11:08am On Mar 31, 2008
I just downloaded nd installed the Yoruba Version.

Posting Screenshot soon! wink
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by naijafan(m): 11:12am On Mar 31, 2008
hayprof:

use the 'Services' browser* wink

explain that one abeg. all i do to surf is open the web browser. plus anytime i browse nairaland's wap site, i get a message saying that it looks like i'm browsing from a desktop browser. i just ignore it anyway wink

hayprof:

I just downloaded nd installed the Yoruba Version.

Posting Screenshot soon! wink

that's exactly wat i wanted to check out
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by ceejay80s(m): 11:19am On Mar 31, 2008
@ poster abeg give me the pigeon english version and the animal language version for my dog
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hayprof(m): 11:37am On Mar 31, 2008
Your dog get Phone?

And do u av a Phone[b] urself [/b]?
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hayprof(m): 11:39am On Mar 31, 2008
naijafan:

explain that one abeg. all i do to surf is open the web browser. plus anytime i browse nairaland's wap site, i get a message saying that it looks like i'm browsing from a desktop browser. i just ignore it anyway wink

that's exactly what i wanted to check out

There r two browsers on Nokia S60 phones

We have the 'Services' and the 'Web'

You need shots?
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 31, 2008
@ poster abeg give me the pigeon english version and the animal language version for my dog

I thought about suggesting a Nigerian Pidgin English version to our translation people but would it be worth it? Are there enough potential users who couldn't/wouldn't use the International English version?
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by naijafan(m): 12:08pm On Mar 31, 2008
owindies:

I thought about suggesting a Nigerian Pidgin English version to our translation people but would it be worth it? Are there enough potential users who couldn't/wouldn't use the International English version?

Anybody that understands spoken Yoruba can read basic English words due to the origin of its alphabets. If the Pidgin English version isnt worth it, then I guess the Yoruba version isnt as well.

BTW, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights has a Pidgin English version. http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/lang/pcm.htm
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hansibone(m): 12:30pm On Mar 31, 2008
@ poster

jeez dats interestin, wuld get dat of yoruba now. thanks

@ceejay

u don bring ur mumu come here abi, i thot uve recovered, do u want to go bak dere? angry
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 31, 2008
naijafan:

Anybody that understands spoken Yoruba can read basic English words due to the origin of its alphabets. If the Pidgin English version isnt worth it, then I guess the Yoruba version isnt as well.

There's a difference between being able to read the words and understanding them.  I can read Albanian words (they use the same alphabet as English) but I don't understand what they mean!  Pidgin English is closely related to standard English so if you understand one you can usually understand bits of the other.

I don't think there are any statistics on the number of Pidgin speakers in Nigeria, you need information like that to persuade people that it's worth spending money on translations.  For Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba you can look at the census results and guess the number of speakers for each (I know, the census isn't very reliable).  Personally I'd like to see a Pidgin translation, because I like the language and I think it suffers a lot of snobbery from people who think they're educated.
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by naijafan(m): 1:36pm On Mar 31, 2008
owindies:

There's a difference between being able to read the words and understanding them.  I can read Albanian words (they use the same alphabet as English) but I don't understand what they mean!  Pidgin English is closely related to standard English so if you understand one you can usually understand bits of the other.

I don't think there are any statistics on the number of Pidgin speakers in Nigeria, you need information like that to persuade people that it's worth spending money on translations.  For Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba you can look at the census results and guess the number of speakers for each (I know, the census isn't very reliable).  Personally I'd like to see a Pidgin translation, because I like the language and I think it suffers a lot of snobbery from people who think they're educated.

I understand you well. But if the person didnt understand the basic English words, how did he/she turn on the phone and navigate to Opera successfully?

here's a quote from UN concerning the language
It is used in novels, plays, radio, poetry and becoming more and more important as a language.

Maybe you need to realise the fact that most people who would install the Yoruba/Ibo/Hausa versions actually have their phones speaking English. Which means they wouldve been comfortable with the English version as well.

Plus they would be browsing English sites. wink
Except Opera translates the entire site as well. tongue
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hayprof(m): 1:47pm On Mar 31, 2008
See:

Services

Web

Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by 4peace(m): 1:57pm On Mar 31, 2008
@owind
i dont know,i dont just like other version than standard english.
i've downloaded it before but i have to un-instal it.
The same thing goes with the google(i used to have it in yoruba but i change it)

how is cold out there.take kia
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hayprof(m): 2:03pm On Mar 31, 2008
Opera Yoruba grin

Screenshts:

Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by naijafan(m): 2:46pm On Mar 31, 2008
@hayprof

Nothing like that on the N82. Its Web right from the home screen. Internet tel. appears under Tools/Connectivity While Download is also on the home screen. I think they eliminated the Services on devices running S60 3rd Ed Feature Pack 1.
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 31, 2008
naijafan:
Maybe you need to realise the fact that most people who would install the Yoruba/Ibo/Hausa versions actually have their phones speaking English. Which means they wouldve been comfortable with the English version as well.

That's true, but I think the idea is to have it available in people's preferred language. For example, I can use a phone with the language set to Swedish, but it's more difficult for me and I'm more likely to press the wrong button because I don't understand what it's telling me.

If you're happy with English use the English version. Translations are provided because somebody has decided that we can get more users if we have a version in their language. It's just not possible to provide versions in every language.
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by hayprof(m): 3:24pm On Mar 31, 2008
naijafan:

@hayprof

Nothing like that on the N82. Its Web right from the home screen. Internet tel. appears under Tools/Connectivity While Download is also on the home screen. I think they eliminated the Services on devices running S60 3rd Ed Feature Pack 1.

. . .Mm m mM. . . I c. . . N82 tongue
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by naijafan(m): 3:35pm On Mar 31, 2008
owindies:

That's true, but I think the idea is to have it available in people's preferred language. For example, I can use a phone with the language set to Swedish, but it's more difficult for me and I'm more likely to press the wrong button because I don't understand what it's telling me.

If you're happy with English use the English version. Translations are provided because somebody has decided that we can get more users if we have a version in their language. It's just not possible to provide versions in every language.

If you were talking about a social network or somethn, i'd have agreed 100% with the quote in boldface. Wen it comes to browsing, the browser interface is not important anymore. The website being visited is. Even if you have a browser speaking in tongues, as long as the website remains english, the end-user's experience would remain the same.

I'm telling you that you have to bring up a pidgin english version. Just trying to tell you that your argument against it was out of place and plain wrong. wink
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 31, 2008
naijafan:
Even if you have a browser speaking in tongues, as long as the website remains english, the end-user's experience would remain the same.

So you'd be quite happy using the Scottish Gaelic version (I'm assuming you don't speak Gaelic)? Because it doesn't matter at all what language the browser UI is in?
Re: Opera Mini Available In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by naijafan(m): 12:00pm On Apr 01, 2008
owindies:

So you'd be quite happy using the Scottish Gaelic version (I'm assuming you don't speak Gaelic)? Because it doesn't matter at all what language the browser UI is in?

Dawg, you are getting this twisted.

English is lingua franca. Stop mentioning such strange languages.

(1) (Reply)

20 Signs That You're Addicted To Your Smartphone / These Phones Are Tecno's Nightmare. / Strange Phone Call: Private Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.