Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,795 members, 7,817,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

NYSC: A Year Is Too SHORT - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: A Year Is Too SHORT (719 Views)

NYSC: A Litmus Test For A Faithful Wife/girlfriend / NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? / During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NYSC: A Year Is Too SHORT by JusticeEquity(m): 8:40pm On Mar 26, 2013
Today batch A are corp members were sent to different places of primary assignment (PPA), where they are expected to serve their farther's land for a year. By now the brand new corp members should be in their PPA or in few cases close to the place. The PPA can be heaven or Hell, depending on YOU; that means the decision to be live happily in this new environment is your responsibility. Truly, it might be so challenging and difficult, with several issues to confront; language, weather, accommodation, foods, managing cash, choosing friends and dealing with people (ur boss, LGI, community people). Despite the challenges, YOU have a choice, you either make Your PPA a Paradise, otherwise it would be a hell. If u make it a paradise, then A Year will be too shor , otherwise A year will be too long .
The choice you make depends largely on your values. A friend of mine wrote 13 excellent ways to Add Values to yourself, thus making you a distinct being. Your are closer to fulfillment of your Goals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13 Things you need to do before the end of Your
Service Year (NYSC) The National Youth Service Period is a period of so
many experiences, some you’ll love others you
won't. My time as a corps member has helped
me put together these points that I believe will help
every “corper” out there. Have a nice time
reading through, I hope you’ll learn something from my scribbles.

13 THINGS TO DO BEFORE THE END OF YOUR SERVICE
YEAR
Man, know thyself. This is one on the writings
inscribed on the Oracle of Delphi, it simply means
self discovery. It about knows who you are, where you are from, what you are doing where you are,
what you ought to be doing where you are, where
you are going from here, your strengths,
weaknesses, your dreams and all. Before the end
of your service year, you should be able to answer
these questions sincerely. Knowing who you are tells a lot about the kind of person you are and will
be. Man, know thyself.
Know how you can be fruitful with your life, how
you can achieve much with your potentials and all
that you found out in the item above. The
knowledge of this helps to catapult you into a very wonderful future. You should be able to tell how to
use your strengths and all your experiences. If you
are the entrepreneurial type, you should be able to
see how to develop your market and strategy in
your new environment.
Be known for something. You should have an ideology that governs your life. If you cant stand
for something, you’ll fall for just anything. Know
your stand and be known for it. All the great men
you’ve read about became great because they
stood for something. Get thinking.
Be part of a network of fruitful and focused people. The Youth service scheme brings together people
from different parts of the nation with different
ideologies from different discipline. Link up with
people you’ve tested and you know can be
trusted. You’ll never know what these networks
will mean in time to come. Your type of association determines the kind of person you are and vice
versa.
Know the value of time and how to maximize time.
Time is an exhaustible thing, it can’t be saved, it
can be maximized, learn to beat procrastination
and how to keep to time and be on time. This will help you so well in the life after National service.
Get a functional Bank Account, not a bank account
that handles your withdrawal but one in which you
make deposits; the essence of this is to develop
your ability to save and manage fund efficiently.
This will really be of help to you; so many corps members have trouble saving money because of
the distorted view of saving. The service year
comes with a lot of highs and lows. Take my word,
no matter how little your allowance is, you can still
take something out to save.
Learn all you need to know about (marital) relationships, especially if you’re unmarried. A lot
of careless relationships sprung up during the
Orientation camping programme and let to
nowhere near the Wedding altar. Your youth
service period might not entail you getting into a
relationship, but you can get to learn a lot about it during this period. Getting into a marital
relationship is just around the corner.
Seek independence financially, spiritually,
emotionally etc (but be careful how you do it).
Learn all you need to know about etiquettes,
corporate, dressing, dining etc. it’ll help so much in the world out there. Gives u an edge over others.
Be literate in computer and internet usage; give
yourself a lift by adopting the social media.
Learn a skill or the other; learn something different
from your field of study. I never trained to be an e-
artist in school, but here am I today. Also improve on your own discipline, get certified, and keep
learning.
Build up a library of books you’ve read and want
to read, remember that Readers are Leaders.
Irrespective of your religion, I would advise you to
better your relationship with your God. Nothing happen without the G-Factor, you didn’t create
yourself, HE did. Get Connected to Him now, in
service and total devotion to Him.

Follow the writer on twitter:
@topazdecimal

(1) (Reply)

See How Nysc Refused To Pay My Alawi Till I Passed Out / Prospective NYSC Batch C BSU Let's Meet Here / Skill Acquisition For Uyo Copers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.