Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,154 members, 7,829,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

London Black Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / London Black Atheists (2047 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

London Black Atheists by mantraa: 1:56am On Mar 28, 2013
There is a new meetup group in london for black atheists. They recently hosted a talk by the nigerian activist Leo Igwe entitled 'Breaking the Taboo of Atheism in Black Communities'. They had some very good feedback and need more black atheists to join. Any race can also join the group as "you dont need to be homeless to support a homeless charity", so you dont need to be black to support black atheists.

Take a look here:
http://www.meetup.com/London-Black-Atheists/
Re: London Black Atheists by Nobody: 2:07am On Mar 28, 2013
mantraa: There is a new meetup group in london for black atheists. They recently hosted a talk by the nigerian activist Leo Igwe entitled 'Breaking the Taboo of Atheism in Black Communities'. They had some very good feedback and need more black atheists to join. Any race can also join the group as "you dont need to be homeless to support a homeless charity", so you dont need to be black to support black atheists.

Take a look here:
http://www.meetup.com/London-Black-Atheists/

Welcome to the new church of atheism.

2 Likes

Re: London Black Atheists by mantraa: 12:09pm On Mar 28, 2013
No, It's not a new church of atheism .There is no worshipping of supernatural deities so no need for the sarcasm. There are thousands of meetup groups covering all kinds of different interests and topics.
This is what they say they are about:

London Black Atheists, despite the name Black, is a group that welcomes all atheists. We want to free our minds and our communities from all religious pollution and corruption. Our mission is to encourage ethnic peoples of all stripes and particularly of the African Diaspora to come out as atheists to other atheists. We will not reveal your identity publicly. We provide a friendly, welcoming and supportive environment for people who want to declare themselves as atheists but are wary of receiving a hostile reaction from their family and friends, leaving them isolated with no one to turn to and nowhere to go.

We actively work with other atheist groups such as British Humanist Association, London Atheists Activists Group and Central London Humanists Group to further our cause. If you live or work in London or are just visiting, if you are questionning religion and want to meet like minded people, join our group.

For social and historical reasons Black people tend to be very religious. The default position in Black society is that religion is a good thing that should be followed without question. We disagree. At some times and in some places, religion in the past has provided social cohesion, schools, hospitals, charities and the like, but the overwhelming evidence is that nowadays religion is divisive, physically harmful, mentally destabilising and morally bankrupt. It is a brake on social and scientific progress. In those parts of the world where it is a dominant influence, it is positively lethal. For those people who say "What harm does it do?", we have a two word reply - Northern Ireland. Two Christian communities made up of ordinary men, women and children, one Catholic the other Protestant, locked in a deadly, decades old conflict.

We meetup for serious discussions on a wide range of topics connected to atheism, science, social issues, religion, evolution, cosmology, and neuroscience amongst other things. We actively seek to improve our understanding of our stunning, incredible universe, from a natural perspective. A universe that does not need a supernatural creator to explain its existence, nor how it functions. We also meetup socially for fun, entertainment, restaurant outings, watching films, visiting theatres and museums etc.

1 Like

Re: London Black Atheists by manmustwac(m): 12:30pm On Mar 28, 2013
Sounds interesting to someone like me based in London. Will defineately check it out. But mantra are based in London?
Re: London Black Atheists by mantraa: 10:24pm On Mar 28, 2013
Yes I am based in London. I went to the talk with Leo Igwe and the central London humanists. It was an excellent talk with questions at the end. The event was filmed and they say they will be uploading it shortly.

Here is a video of another talk he did in London recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxg0W0Wk3Qo
Re: London Black Atheists by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:46pm On Mar 28, 2013
i hate the name. it is racist and aginst the spirit of Tribal Africans. i would never join such a group.

let all the akatas join it.
Re: London Black Atheists by Areaboy2(m): 10:50pm On Mar 28, 2013
davidylan:

Welcome to the new church of atheism.

Why not do some research on what it is all about before rushing to score cheap points.

PAGAN 9JA:
i hate the name. it is racist and aginst the spirit of Tribal Africans. i would never join such a group.

let all the akatas join it.

I'm not sure what your agenda with this paganism you are championing is. You do realise that the foundations laid by your pagan worshiping ancestors are the reason we are so gullible to invincible men in the sky undecided

@ topic. Na wa oh, everything is down in London. una dun forget us up here across the border sad
Re: London Black Atheists by vislabraye(m): 11:01pm On Mar 28, 2013
With all the miracles that do happen, people still think there's no God. I think people choose what to believe and what not to believe.
Re: London Black Atheists by Areaboy2(m): 11:08pm On Mar 28, 2013
vislabraye: With all the miracles that do happen, people still think there's no God. I think people choose what to believe and what not to believe.

Well, would be nice if you point me to one of your so called miracles undecided
Re: London Black Atheists by mazaje(m): 11:23pm On Mar 28, 2013
vislabraye: With all the miracles that do happen, people still think there's no God. I think people choose what to believe and what not to believe.

Which miracles?. . .
Re: London Black Atheists by mazaje(m): 11:24pm On Mar 28, 2013
mantraa: Yes I am based in London. I went to the talk with Leo Igwe and the central London humanists. It was an excellent talk with questions at the end. The event was filmed and they say they will be uploading it shortly.

Here is a video of another talk he did in London recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxg0W0Wk3Qo

Leo Igwe is funny in his own kind of way. . .
Re: London Black Atheists by Nobody: 3:06am On Mar 29, 2013
Area_boy:

Why not do some research on what it is all about before rushing to score cheap points.

do you understand the issue yourself or you're just running around defending another atheist point of view?
Re: London Black Atheists by wiegraf: 4:36am On Mar 29, 2013
davidylan:

do you understand the issue yourself or you're just running around defending another atheist point of view?

Fixing
davidylan:

do you understand the issue yourself or you're just running around defending another atheist's point of view?

Are you already lost? Seems you believe there are atheist povs (other then our stance on the existence of god(s)), doctrine, rituals, etc etc. You think addressing these is the purpose of these meetings? Perhaps you also expect them to worship their god(s) as well?

Here again
op:
We meetup for serious discussions on a wide range of topics connected to atheism, science, social issues, religion, evolution, cosmology, and neuroscience amongst other things. We actively seek to improve our understanding of our stunning, incredible universe, from a natural perspective. A universe that does not need a supernatural creator to explain its existence, nor how it functions. We also meetup socially for fun, entertainment, restaurant outings, watching films, visiting theatres and museums etc.

If this is your idea of a church then I suppose a large amount of all groups and organizations, eg every political party, clubs etc would qualify as churches, no?
Re: London Black Atheists by deezzle(m): 6:52am On Mar 29, 2013
Lagos Humanists and Skeptics invite the General Public to its Inaugural Forum

Date: Sunday April 28 2013

Venue: Department of Philosophy Postgraduate Room, University of Lagos

Time: 12.00 pm

Theme: Embracing Skepticism and Fighting Superstition in Lagos

Speakers: Douglas Anele Ph.D, University of Lagos

Jide Akeredolu M.D, Lagos

Leo Igwe, Research Fellow, James Randi Educational Foundation, USA

All curious, freethinking and critically minded friends, students, teachers etc are enjoined to attend

R S V P

Ike Email <ik_okey@yahoo.com> Tel 08065961800, Bamidele Email deleneye@gmail.com Tel. 08188710293
Re: London Black Atheists by mantraa: 10:00am On Mar 29, 2013
^^^^^^^^
This sounds really good. If you are an atheist, humanist, or just curious to find out about how religion is harmful to humanity, I would highly recommend attending this event.

Here is the link. Please Share it with anyone else you know who may be interested.

http://iheu.org/diary/lagos-humanists-and-skeptics-inaugural-forum

Respects
Re: London Black Atheists by jmoore(m): 11:06am On Mar 29, 2013
mantraa: No, It's not a new church of atheism .There is no worshipping of supernatural deities so no need for the sarcasm.

Let me tell you what you don't know, atheists are their own gods.
Re: London Black Atheists by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 29, 2013
jmoore:

Let me tell you what you don't know, atheists are their own gods.
Same goes for theists too. Only problem is they like to generalize, then focus on the little details that appeal them... wink
Re: London Black Atheists by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:32pm On Mar 29, 2013
Area_boy:

I'm not sure what your agenda with this paganism you are championing is. You do realise that the foundations laid by your pagan worshiping ancestors are the reason we are so gullible to invincible men in the sky undecided

Bu ancestors, you mean the Ape men who lived 1000s of years ago? dont you realise that Paganism is natural human phenomena that cannot be done away with?! there is evidence of Paganism in cave/rock-art done 1000s of yrs ago before civilization itself.

Please dont talk any nonsense if you have no idea of Paganism. we bliv in SPiritual Forces, not invincible men in the sky angry
Re: London Black Atheists by NoProphecy: 5:39pm On Mar 29, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Bu ancestors, you mean the Ape men who lived 1000s of years ago? dont you realise that Paganism is natural human phenomena that cannot be done away with?! there is evidence of Paganism in cave/rock-art done 1000s of yrs ago before civilization itself.

Please dont talk any nonsense if you have no idea of Paganism. we bliv in SPiritual Forces, not invincible men in the sky angry

!!!!Magic!!!
Re: London Black Atheists by madebystars: 2:58am On Apr 10, 2013
Leo Igwe's talk to London Black Atheists is now on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouItTVgHpoY

(1) (Reply)

True Principle Of Tithing REVEALED. Do Not Be Deceived / Deeper Life Bible Church Chatbox / Mandela Is In Hell-fire? Well That’s What These “christians” Say | Read Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.