Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage (5725 Views)

How Do I Become A Registered Eagles Supporter / Breaking News: Tb Joshua Predict Chelsea Need Prayers(rubben bald Hair Heading) / Sport, Most Especially Football Can Drive You Crazy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by lekanolas: 2:20pm On Mar 28, 2013
The nation erupted with cheers when Elderson Echejile opened the floodgate of goals with a perfect header at the semi-final match against Mali at the recent African Cup of Nations in South Africa. But unknown to most people, it was a huge sacrifice for the country as a research has now revealed that such heading of the ball may increase the risk of brain damage to football players.

The research conducted at the University of Texas, US, revealed revealed that heading a football repeatedly may cause mental impairment or “mild traumatic brain injury of the frontal lobes”. The researchers however point out that more research is needed to determine whether the changes are long-lasting or temporary. But the findings indicate that increasing amounts of playing time worsen performance.

The study involved a group of 12 teenage female football players and a matched group of non-players. Each undertook a simple computer screen task designed to test subtle levels of mental functioning. Participants had to react to the random appearance of a white square by touching a point on the opposite side of the screen. Performance was measured by timing the speed of the responses.

Before the test, girls who played football were given a practice session during which they headed the ball a number of times. The study showed that the football players were significantly slower at the task than non-players.

However, both groups performed equally well in another task that involved touching the white square where it appeared. This test involved a more instinctive response with less thinking required.

Factoring in the number of hours spent playing football each week showed that more games and practice sessions led to slower responses.

Long-term mental impairment is known to be a risk in high-contact sports such as boxing, which involve head jarring that can cause loss of consciousness. But until now it has not been clear whether the much less violent impact of a football on the head could be harmful.

Dr Anne Sereno, from the University of Texas, and colleagues wrote in the online journal Public Library of Science ONE: “These findings suggest that even subconcussive blows in soccer can result in cognitive function changes that are consistent with mild traumatic brain injury of the frontal lobes.”

Numbers of hours per week playing football had a significant effect on response time, while the number of years taking part in the sport had a marginal effect.

The researchers added: “Further study is needed to track soccer players for longer periods to evaluate if these changes are transient or longer lasting, if they are dependent upon repeated sub-concussive blows, and if they generalise to male soccer players.

“To our knowledge, these results provide the first evidence that even subconcussive blows in soccer could lead to measurable, even if possibly transient, cognitive changes in young soccer players.” Dr Serrano hailed the findings as a means of identifying possible neural disorders caused by playing sport.

She said: ‘The app used in our research may be a quick and effective way to screen for and track cognitive changes in athletes it could also have broader applications in clinics or out in the field.’

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/heading-football-can-cause-brain-damage/

1 Like

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 28, 2013
1st.

Heading footballs can cause brain damage eh?

Maybe that explains why Joseph Yobo is such an incompetent footballer.
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Ejine(m): 3:21pm On Mar 28, 2013
Now I see why the world's highest scorers are dumbasses...

Oh wait...

1 Like

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by vanstanzy(m): 3:21pm On Mar 28, 2013
And chesting football can cause chest damage. grin How about the ladies that brestfeed the football, what does it cause? *Just asking!*

3 Likes

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by vanstanzy(m): 3:24pm On Mar 28, 2013
Last to comment. Mod abeg close this thread.
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by vanstanzy(m): 3:26pm On Mar 28, 2013
*Military zone, keep off! angry angry*

1 Like

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Ejine(m): 3:26pm On Mar 28, 2013
jackbauersballs: 1st.

Heading footballs can cause brain damage eh?

Maybe that explains why Joseph Yobo is such an incompetent footballer.

First Position thief.
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 28, 2013
Thank God messi hardly uses his head.

BTW, i think this affects whites....not blacks, because when i was a kid, we used to head komkom, even big size kpangolo.... And we've grown wiser and smarter!

1 Like

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by ghetomum: 3:26pm On Mar 28, 2013
MUTIU ADEPOJU, BATISTUTA, TERRY, PUYO NEVER CRAZY NA

2 Likes

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by cyril83(m): 3:26pm On Mar 28, 2013
Story! Story!!

Story!!!
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by yuzedo: 3:28pm On Mar 28, 2013
vanstanzy: *Military zone, keep off! angry angry*
grin
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by vanstanzy(m): 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2013
Imanuelle: Thank God messi hardly uses his head.

BTW, i think this affects whites....not blacks, because when i was a kid, we used to head komkom, even big size kpangolo.... And we've grown wiser and smarter!

Headmaster! grin grin grin
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by chelseabmw(m): 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2013
MEANING THE LIKES OF RONALDO N DROGBA HAVE THEIR BRIANS DAMAGED embarassed embarassed embarassed

@POSTER
EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE NEVER HEADED FOOTBALL IN UR LIFE,I BELIEVE U NEED TO CHECK UR BRAINS FOR POSSIBLE DAMAGE angry angry

DONT BELIEVE U POSTED THIS

1 Like

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Nuzo1(m): 3:36pm On Mar 28, 2013
Imanuelle: Thank God messi hardly uses his head.

How did you know you grew wiser and smarter? angry tongue

Well, for some reasons other than brain damage...I've always avoided heading balls. angry
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Nobody: 3:39pm On Mar 28, 2013
chelseabmw: MEANING THE LIKES OF RONALDO N DROGBA HAVE THEIR BRIANS DAMAGED embarassed embarassed embarassed

@POSTER
EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE NEVER HEADED FOOTBALL IN UR LIFE,I BELIEVE U NEED TO CHECK UR BRAINS FOR POSSIBLE DAMAGE angry angry

Sir,

Before you begin to yarn dust on this thread, please see article below:

A football club captain died aged 27 after he suffered a fatal stroke triggered by heading the ball too often.

'Talented' striker Bryan Herbert was a hero among his teammates for his prolific scoresheet and 'man of the match awards'.

But he collapsed just hours after setting up a match-winning goal for his team - Bacup Borough Football Club in Bacup, Lancashire - and died in hospital eight weeks later.

An inquest was told a blood clot on his brain had been caused by footballs regularly clashing with his skull as he went in for headers, which in turn caused the fatal strok

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2289525/Clot-caused-football-Talented-football-striker-27-died-suffering-fatal-stroke-caused-headers.html

Olodo
angry
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by haysal(m): 3:40pm On Mar 28, 2013
chelseabmw: MEANING THE LIKES OF RONALDO N DROGBA HAVE THEIR BRIANS DAMAGED embarassed embarassed embarassed

@POSTER

grin
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 28, 2013
Nuzo':

Well, for some reasons other than brain damage...I've always avoided heading balls. angry

Clever Pun.
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by haysal(m): 3:40pm On Mar 28, 2013
chelseabmw: MEANING THE LIKES OF RONALDO N DROGBA HAVE THEIR BRAINS DAMAGED embarassed embarassed embarassed

@POSTER

grin
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2013
Ejiné:

First Position thief.

lol...Your time will come son! grin
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by tellwisdom: 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2013
bros, I don head ball tire. Inshort na my job. My head still dey work well. Football na stone ??
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Ogundale(m): 3:43pm On Mar 28, 2013
This is fallacy, i have head football several times nothing happen so why this.
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Adehwale: 3:44pm On Mar 28, 2013
If heading football could cause brain damage to football playerz, den what hope do boxers have?

5 Likes

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by gameboy727(m): 3:46pm On Mar 28, 2013
If na so many footballers like Drogba and defenders wey dey head ball komot from crosses for don mad tey tey

1 Like

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by GentleNaaz(m): 3:49pm On Mar 28, 2013
Infact, ds tnz don tire me. Evry tn we dy do, dm go say e dy afect our brain. U watch TV, brain wahala. U smoke Igbo, brain damage. U drnk beer, na brain wahala. Mk un stop ds joke, e don do

2 Likes

Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by oddy4real(m): 3:50pm On Mar 28, 2013
then how come Pele, Drogba and Mutiu Adepoju (Headmaster) are still normal till now?
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Keemz(m): 3:52pm On Mar 28, 2013
C'mon,HEADmasters like Trezzo,Drogba,Adepoju,TERRY et al ain't crazy nah.I Do Not Believe This
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by passionate88: 3:52pm On Mar 28, 2013
What about giving head, wetin e dey cause?
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 28, 2013
Nuzo':

angry

Would you reply a duMb post? tongue tongue
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by nochio(m): 3:54pm On Mar 28, 2013
Soccer is not primarily an American game,and I have not heard of footballers developing brain damage due to heading the ball(pele,maradona etc)even when football was more heavy and made from tough leather,Americans have a way of allowing science to ruin everything,let them leave our dear soccer alone,if boxing,wrestling and american football don't reecord so many brain damaged participants,why soccer that is basically played with the leg and you have to gnash your teeth if u are SOMETIMES expected to use d head before contact can cause brain damage,let's ask Mutiu Adepoju(headmaster)if he has such symptoms.
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Nobody: 3:56pm On Mar 28, 2013
vanstanzy:

Headmaster! grin grin grin

Omolabi Orilari tongue tongue
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by ItsUncleDee(m): 4:00pm On Mar 28, 2013
Adehwale: If heading football could cause brain damage to football playerz, den what hope do boxers have?
dem go wear helment 4 head
Re: Heading Football Can Cause Brain Damage by Sike(m): 4:04pm On Mar 28, 2013
Hmmmmm ....A VERY BIG FAT LIE!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos Of Some Good Great Former Footballers / Women's Hockey Team Strip Off As They Practice Their Drills 4 Charity ( Photo ) / AFCON: Acho, Timi Dakolo, Salatiel, Others For Sing For Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.