Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,201 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Jewels Of Africa - Literature (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jewels Of Africa (46214 Views)

Church Of England Issues Formal Apology Over Betrayal Of Africa's First Bishop / Jewels Of Lucifer- A Play By A Nairaland Boy, Cosmos Nuel AKA Emyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:01pm On Aug 22, 2013
⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵✽̤̈CHAPTER9✽̤̈·̵·̵̭̌«̶⌣

The following months were ubearable for Ife, school work took the front seat, she shut Kehinde totally out of her life.
They met in passing at school and always avoided long conversations with her. If she wasn't at the library she was at the orphanage she had decided to help when she wasn't busy. Her father's death didn't strip her of her brains or will to live.

After the schools closed for christmas she volunteered at little angels orphanage, she wasn't ready to face her family. Her aunt had made herself clear so she had stayed in South Africa.

She understood what it felt like when Malaika had to stay behind, though their situations were different, the feeling was close to home. She had blocked her family's calls and wanted nothing to do with them, their bridge was gone and he wasn't coming back.

Christmas eve was worse, she had stayed in to avoid masses of people doing the last minute christmas shopping, the beautiful green and red decorations outside the shops. Every corner screamed Christmas, so she had watched television while families were engrossed with each other wrapping gifts and children baking cookies for father christmas.

Kenny would have popped by only if she would let her in, but she had decided to do things her own way. The scandals of the Abayomi was not her business, nor was Kenny. The door bell rang, she rose abrutly, thinking it was the kids down the block trying to raise funds by singing door to door for small change.

“I don't have money!” She hissed getting up to open the door, her mother Tumni stood at the door with Sarah. She felt a pang of emotion, tears welling inside her eyes.

“Mom, is this really you?” She threw herself in the old woman's arms. Her mother had endured the nigerian civil war, had seen good days and bad days and her wrinkles were a proof of that. Sarah stood besides her mother, learning by the wall.

“Yes baby, I have missed you so. Why did you shut me out like that?” Her mother dabbed tears with a silk hanker chief.

“Blame it on her!” Ife glared at Sarah, making a way for the two women to enter.

“Ife,” Tumni separated the two, she knew her daughter and her sister in-law. It was true that beasts do not sleep together, because Ife and Sarah battled for a spot that they both knew Tumni had occupied. “Not now my dear. Would you be a darling and give us some refreshments?”

“What refreshments mother? This witch made sure I don't get my monthly allowance. So I only have water, surely you can manage that?”

Her mother gave her a horrible stare, like she wasn't sure Ife was her daughter. Ife had avoided the stare and dashed to the kitchen, came back with a tray of two glasses of tap water. After they sat down she went on and watched television like they were not even there.

“My sister you see what I was avoiding?” Sarah said fidgeting on the couch. “This child ought to have known her mother, this rebellion should stop.”

Sarah always talked like she was God, she knew everything and was never wrong. If Ife didn't respect her mother, she would have closed the door at the old hag's face. She hated the woman with passion.

“It was my fault, I hated her mother, she would have stolen my husband from me since I couldn't bore him a child.”

“You did a right thing but you shouldn't have raised this invalid!”

“Who is an invalid? That daughter of yours that keeps failing jamb?”

“Stop this embarrassment Sarah, I raised this child as my own for 21 years and you have been trying to misplace her with your daughter.

The reason your here is to solve the issue at hand not add fuel to the fire.”

Tumni was now on her feet, blocking Sarah from touching Ife.

“Mama, why does she hate me so much? What did my Igbo mother do to her?” Ife sniffed, trying to hide the tears. She wished her father was around, atleast he knew how to put his sister in her place.

“Calm down, getting worked up will not get us somewhere.” Her mother took out a white A4 envelope out of her bag and handed it to Ife. “Your father left you that, its confidential and had been signed and sealed by him.”

Ife yanked the envelop and tore it open, skimming through her father's hand writing. Sarah's neck rose like that of an ostrich ogling at what's written in the papers Ife had in hand. She raised her head painfully watching her mother steadily.

“I thought nobody knew where she was?” Ife's skin was burning with anger. “Mama, what is my name?”

“Ife.”

“Mama, please look at me and tell me that I am Ife-Oluwa!”

“Yes you are.” Tumni moved closer to try and touch her daughter who flung herself loose from her and told her not to touch her again.

“Then who is Taiwo?” The two elder women sweeped the floor with their lashes. How could she have been so stupid? “And you give Kehinde away? Was I worth being raised by you? When I had lost my sister and mother?

The funny thing is I know Kenny and my biological mother, I don't know what it is you wanted to archive but, I know them.”
Re: Jewels Of Africa by lukfame(m): 10:19pm On Aug 22, 2013
Twists...tnx for making my day HBG

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Cathydera(f): 10:33pm On Aug 22, 2013
I can't stop reading this piece to the extent of bookmarking it.. i read it In the house, in the car, at work, and back home.
A typical African settings.
Kudos girl.
one thing I can predict is that ife, Kenny, Malaika are sisters, related to Mike And Femi at large.

2 Likes

Re: Jewels Of Africa by princesa(f): 12:25am On Aug 23, 2013
Congrats humbled, we made it to frontpage. It means more regular updates and read! cheesy

#welcome guys cheesy

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by EzePromoe: 7:00am On Aug 23, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: only the embryo is removed from the uterus, since the abortion was a success and there were no signs of needing a second suction or experienced haemorrhage, that big word wasn't necessary tongue

Okay grin grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Annstar(f): 7:31am On Aug 23, 2013
Wow...... So when is d next update coming...
Re: Jewels Of Africa by alleviate2002us(m): 9:06am On Aug 23, 2013
#Space booked....
Re: Jewels Of Africa by SugaryBelle(f): 9:20am On Aug 23, 2013
[quote author=HumbledbYGrace][/quote] I pray your dreams come true...
Re: Jewels Of Africa by SugaryBelle(f): 9:42am On Aug 23, 2013
Hmm,nice twist...HBG,abeg while Ife is going abt her family issues,Malaika nd Mike can at least start dating already na,me want anoda s.ex scene...*covers face*
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:21am On Aug 23, 2013
lukfame:
Twists...tnx for making my day HBG
Thank you smiley and welcome on board kiss

Cathydera:
I can't stop reading this piece to the extent of bookmarking it.. i read it In the house, in the car, at work, and back home.
A typical African settings.
Kudos girl.
one thing I can predict is that ife, Kenny, Malaika are sisters, related to Mike And Femi at large.

Thanks dear...about your prediction..#lips sealed.#

princesa:
Congrats humbled, we made it to frontpage. It means more regular updates and read! 

#welcome guys 

At last, where have you been? What happened to your whatsapp? We need to talk skate.

Eze_Promoe: Okay  

yeaA grin grin

Annstar:

Wow...... So when is d next update coming...

I was thinking of asking you guys to help me draw up a timetable Which will work for all our benefits. Thanks

alleviate2002us: #Space booked....

smiley smiley thanks, I love your signature.

SugaryBelle:
I pray your dreams come true...

Hmm,nice twist...HBG,abeg while Ife is going abt her family issues,Malaika nd Mike can at least start dating already na,me want anoda s.ex scene...*covers face*

Hmmmm, thanks and I will see what I can do ma'am.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by barag(f): 11:54am On Aug 23, 2013
yeeeeah i guessed right. Ife is Kenny's twin. buh d update was short jooooor
Re: Jewels Of Africa by 01emek(m): 12:21pm On Aug 23, 2013
I have been reading without any comment!! But now i must recommend your effort!! You have done well! Can't wait for next update!

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Cathydera(f): 4:02pm On Aug 23, 2013
[quote author=HumbledbYGrace] Thanks dear...about your prediction..#lips sealed.#

WHY LIPS SEALED?
I NEED SOME UPDATE PLS COS TODAY IS FRIDAY.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by EzePromoe: 6:19pm On Aug 23, 2013
Humble, Nataka
kumpongeza
wewe juu ya
mafanikio yako
kubwa, ya kuwa
msimamizi.
Naamini hii ni
kwenda risasi
wewe kwa ngazi
kubwa zaidi.
Kama wewe ni
yake ya kwanza
yasiyo ya Nigeria,
lakini mimi bado
kusimama
kusahihishwa. wink

I hope I tried?
Re: Jewels Of Africa by iphy42: 11:29pm On Aug 23, 2013
Just like that? U mean I have to join the waiting folks? Gosh! I hate waiting for sweet things.

HBG u toooooooo much, Tuale to you and may your ink never run dry.
Hope I won't wait long for an update.

BTW, are you Nigerian, if not where are you from? Just curious, you may be my sister wink grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:33am On Aug 24, 2013
Eze Promoe: Humble, Nataka
kumpongeza
wewe juu ya
mafanikio yako
kubwa, ya kuwa
msimamizi.
Naamini hii ni
kwenda risasi
wewe kwa ngazi
kubwa zaidi.
Kama wewe ni
yake ya kwanza
yasiyo ya Nigeria,
lakini mimi bado
kusimama
kusahihishwa. wink

I hope I tried?
you did dear.

Mimi ni wa kwanza hivyo wanasema, mimi tu unataka mambo yalikuwa tofauti lakini mimi ni kweli kiburi ya yote mimi kuwa na mafanikio hadi sasa.

Now back to english before we upset the OATT
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:35am On Aug 24, 2013
[quote author=Cathydera][/quote]m sorry dear, had a lot on my plate lastnight, let's see wat sunday has for us please?
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:37am On Aug 24, 2013
iphy42: Just like that? U mean I have to join the waiting folks? Gosh! I hate waiting for sweet things.

HBG u toooooooo much, Tuale to you and may your ink never run dry.
Hope I won't wait long for an update.

BTW, are you Nigerian, if not where are you from? Just curious, you may be my sister wink grin
m not Nigerian sis, m half sotho, half swati/tsonga lol from Southern Africa

Thanks and hope you enjoy the ride.

Where r u from?
Re: Jewels Of Africa by AmiableJay(m): 5:28am On Aug 24, 2013
HBG.. I dey for PARAO mode oh.. Come knack us the next update nah:-x
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Cathydera(f): 5:32am On Aug 24, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: m sorry dear, had a lot on my plate lastnight, let's see wat sunday has for us please?
ok dear. how many chapters left ?
how many pages remaining ?
Hahahahahahahahaha don't mind me Just anxious.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by bigsholly(f): 7:42am On Aug 24, 2013
I said it I knw she's related 2 Nneka somehow lolzz! HBG weldone ooooo
Re: Jewels Of Africa by EzePromoe: 7:53am On Aug 24, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: you did dear.

Mimi ni wa kwanza hivyo wanasema, mimi tu unataka mambo yalikuwa tofauti lakini mimi ni kweli kiburi ya yote mimi kuwa na mafanikio hadi sasa.

Now back to english before we upset the OATT

I didn't get the first part so clearly, but I guess you were also saying that you're happy for yourself, and you're the first.
Kudos anyway wink
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:55am On Aug 24, 2013
Thanks @ Bigsholly....I hate it wen u predict o, it spoils the fun. tongue

@Eze yeah I meant exactly that grin

@ Kathy and AmyableJay Sunday will do akere?

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:59pm On Aug 25, 2013

Kenny's phone beeped and a facebook message icon was dispayed at the corner of the screen. She wasn't in the mood for facebook and haven't been active for some weeks but she had to check it, it might be important. Femi and his wife had just left for their honeymoon in Dubai and had left the whole apartment all to herself.

After finding out she was adopted and tried searching for her biological mother, Malaika's advice had stopped her from putting her thoughts into action and had crawled back to her parents, apologised and after a family meeting everything went back to normal. Her brother's wedding was scheduled for christmas day and it was one of the best weddings she had attended in her life, him being Boko Harram didn't stop but they were siblings and siblings fight a lot.

Happy new year Madam Abayomi.

My mother is around and she has requested to see you, would you be able to come through for lunch? Say 12noon?
The message was from Ife, the girl has been ignoring her since forever. It has actually been three months, what was so important about her mother that she needed to see?

Urm, ok will be there. Clicking reply she send the message, there was a lot to talk about and exchanging facebook messages wasn't just ideal for her.

The luminus wall clock told her it was 9:30am, she had a lot of time to prepare, she got up and trudged to the kitchen to turn on the geyser, and prepared breakfast.

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:00pm On Aug 25, 2013

“Your father would have been able to explain the whole thing, as for me my dear, I didn't know you were a twin until on Christmas eve.” Mama T, sat on the dressing table chair with her daughter applying make-up.

There had been lots of shared moments to treasure between the two during the week after Christmas. Ife hated herself for ever turning her back on her mother just because her aunt forced her to.

“Its fine Mama, we can't undo the pasts now, he must have had a good reason why he gave Kehinde away.”

Mama T nodded and carried on with her eyelining, Ife was done and checked her phone for a reply from Kenny.

Urm, ok will be there. It was the shortest text Kenny has ever send to her, in other words Kenny didn't sound thrilled to be there. But who would blame her? Ife bit her lower lip, she had caused the rift after all and Kenny had every right to act out of place. The only thing she still couldn't grasp was the possibility that they could be sisters! Twins for that matter? How would they adjust to their new found identity?

She would have to share everything she has equally with her, and Nneka? What if she wasn't their mother? What would happen after confronting her? After 21years? Why did she really leave? Who was she? And her parents? Her mother didn't want to talk about it, she brushed off Ife one too many times concerning the issue, saying that if Nneka Montsho was Nneka Okere then she would tell her daughter everything, till then she couldn't be bothered.

“Ife darling could you please get the door?” Sarah called Ife to answer the door. Whatever Sarah was doing that she couldn't get the door baffled Ife because she had been the first one up and had finished preparing for the journey to Nneka's house hours ago.

“I can't, busy in here. Your free, kindly check it please.” Ife challenged her with a wry grin, her mother cursed under her breath and Ife dashed out of the room like a paper being blown away by spring wind. She got to the door and opened it, her mother and aunt behind her.

“Good afternoon.” Kenny greeted nervously. Ife nodded, taking out the key to lock the door as they stepped outside.

“Mama, aunty Sarah, this is Kenny. Kenny, Mama and aunty Sarah.” She introduced them after locking the door.
Mama T stood awe struck clutching her purse, the girl whom Ife had introduced to them as Kenny was a reflection of the late Okere, it was just awonder to behold.

“Mama!” Ife shrieked irritated. “We need to go.”

“yes, I am sorry. Kehinde right?”

“Yes ma'am.”

“Its nice meeting you.”

“Likewise ma'am.” Kenny smiled shyly as Ife pushed her towards the car.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:02pm On Aug 25, 2013
“Who does laundry on the 1st of January at 11am?” Anele, said sheepishly. Nneka smiled to herself, Anele hated working after a whole night of dancing and talking rubbish with her sisters.

“Your mother obviously.” Nneka replied sorting out the clothes, “but don't worry you will thank me when you have your own house.”

“I am not leaving you alone Mma, so you don't have to teach me all this as you will always be here to do them.”

“Silly girl, start the machine, I need to go and clean my house, since you decided to turn it into a pigsty.”

Nneka took to the living room, the cusions were all over the place, cans of assorted fizzy drinks littered the floor and her glass table was a mess, crumbs of cakes, buscuits and sweets ontop of it. The table was vintage, the first of its kind her husband bought for her before he died.

Taking out a dish cloth from a bowl filled with warm water and handy-Andy she wiped it carefully, reminiscing on the memories she has had with Montsho. She made sure that she left no stain on it and was able to look at her feet under it.

The year seemed to bring something different, her gods were smiling at her she could feel it, with her daughter being top of her class in the whole of Pretoria, and Keddy settling down, it all looked well.

Disposing the trash, Mopping the whole house and tidying up the house seemed to be a huge task, which had never bothered her. The other girls were at Keddy's house, had left early in the morning to help their aunt settle in into her new home in Joburg and would be back in a day or two so she had to do everything all by herself. She had even allowed her lastborn to go, but the girl couldn't leave her mother. At ten she still acted like she was on breast milk.

“Mma!”

“Mma!”

“Anele, how many times should I teach you how to drain water from that machine?” She yelled, dusting the room divider.

“Its not the machine Mma, its Karen Igho and Berverly Osu!” Her daughter sounded excited to see those people, but what did this yorubas want again? Didn't the people at the J.O.A promised her a different presentetive? Didn't they have families to celebrate the festive season with?

“Is the machine done baby?”

“Ewe.”

“Ok, go to aunty Selina's house, tell her I am ready for her.” Selina wasn't even at her house, she was an old client of Nneka and had an appointment with her but later in the evening. Her daughter started protesting.

“But Mma!” She said, lower lip sagging.

“Don't Mma me child, and if she is not home, wait for her.” Nneka hated shouting at her girls but the yorubas just brought the worst in her. She saw her daughter off and sat in the living room waiting for the 'celebrities.'

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:03pm On Aug 25, 2013

“Pleased to meet you ma'am.” Nneka, went around the living room shaking hands with the four ladies, fake smile across her face. The shock of seeing Tumni and Sarah Abusiudumare had subsided, if she had been an actor, Patience Ozokwo would be paid peanuts compared to her.

“Would you like something to drink?” She offered and they all shook their heads, with an excuse that they just had lunch and they still had water with them.

“Oh, what brings you to my humble home?”

Tumni scratched her head, Sarah patted hers, while the 'celebrities' kept exploring her tiny house with their eyes. The other girl resembled her father, so much but luckily she didn't resemble her, t would be no use to deny her. Nobody seemed to have anything to say. She laid back on the couch and closed her eyes, if they were visiting they could as well watch television, she could do with some sleep too.

“Erm Mrs Montsho, we are sorry to bother you but we are looking for a lady called Nneka Okere.” Sarah coughed up, the funny thing was that they looked as if they didn't recognise her. Especially Sarah who went to school with her.

She jerked up, all for pair of four eyes were on her. “I am Nneka Okere.”
They seemed to breath out then, “Why are you looking for me?”

“Its a life and death matter.”

“Ok, I am all ears.” Nneka hated the tagged #life and deaf news, they were always depressing, well not as depressing as what the Abusiudumare brought to her house. They could have just said it, as it was too obvious.

“Well, its connected to an Igbo maiden that got pregnant for my husband. She was a student at Obafemi Awolowo University back then.”

“And?” A lady had to keep a straight face or everything would blow out of proportion.

“And she disappeared after giving birth, my husband kept track on her though and it has led us to you.”

How interesting, she hissed under her breath. “Do you have a picture of this Nneka Okere?” Tumni shook her head. “A form of Identity maybe?”

“Just her medical records while she was pregnant for my husband.” Tumni Produced some papers, they sure were hers but she was not prepared to just forgive and forget, especially Tumni. She ruined her life and her husband killed Nneka Okere, she left that girl in yorubaland.

“I am sorry but I am not the person your looking for, hold on, let me go and get my hospital cards.” She excused herself and closed the door behind her, as tears blinded her, she wept silently for the girls she never knew, she never got a chance to hold just because of some tribal issues.

She would never accept anything yoruba, she would rather die first than betray her father. Tears hadn't always came easy but she had to let them, cry the bitterness out and close the door.

Her eyes were red as she stepped out of her bedroom, and the curious eyes in her living room were enough torture, she couldn't wait to see them leave.

“Here, as you can see, its my medical card while I was still studying and this one, was after I got married.” The cards she gave them had no records of her being pregnant, at seventeen.

“We are sorry to have bothered you with such a matter, thank you for your time.”

“Its nothing, so this are your girls?”

“Yes, well Taiwo was raised by me and my husband while Kehinde was raised by someone else. Kehinde had just found out about her sister but the hunt for the mother still continues.”

“I hope you find your real mother.” Nneka patted Kenny and Ife at the back, avoiding their gave.

“Thank you ma'am and my greetings to Barbie.” Said Ife.

“Well then, let me see you off.” Nneka got up leading the ladies, the other lady whom she has known all her life, Sarah couldn't keep her eyes off her. Sarah had been a wicked soul, her sister in-law was an angel compared to her.

After they were gone, she drank some wine and made for her bed, finally, the guilt was gone. She had seen her father in Kehinde for the first time, but he wouldn't forgive her if she ever forgive those yorubas. Never!
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BLUEGYENS: 6:48pm On Aug 25, 2013
Is that all? C'mon!
Re: Jewels Of Africa by lukfame(m): 8:44pm On Aug 25, 2013
Still on page 12 Anty HBG...plz,update more o...
Re: Jewels Of Africa by lukfame(m): 9:24pm On Aug 25, 2013
Wtf is wrong wit Nneka...she is denying her own children all cos of Her Dead dad...she needs cane...
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:34pm On Aug 25, 2013
Come on guys....updates will be on Wednesdays, saturdays and mondays from now on.

So hopefully 2mao I will update again, deal?

2 Likes

Re: Jewels Of Africa by iphy42: 1:01am On Aug 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: m not Nigerian sis, m half sotho, half swati/tsonga lol from Southern Africa

Thanks and hope you enjoy the ride.

Where r u from?

I'm from the eastern part of Nigeria dear, I love your prosaic prowess. I just want you to pay more attention to your tenses.
You are too much kiss

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail / How Gbenga Found Love / Here Is How To Get Any Fictional Novel By Any Author At All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.