Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Jewels Of Africa - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jewels Of Africa (46215 Views)

Church Of England Issues Formal Apology Over Betrayal Of Africa's First Bishop / Jewels Of Lucifer- A Play By A Nairaland Boy, Cosmos Nuel AKA Emyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Bolt2011(m): 12:57pm On Aug 10, 2013
It seems the story is just about to begin

Good job HBG, I'm still following wink

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by wumiesontop: 2:10pm On Aug 11, 2013
Honestly u are too much. Really i am begining to guess some things coming up l8r in this story. Well done!

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:39pm On Aug 11, 2013
@Bolt and Wimie..smiley thanks guys, I appreciate your support.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 3:57pm On Aug 11, 2013
Oh my very own sis HBG #hugs#

nice work...I sense something really nice huge coming up...weldone.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by bigsholly(f): 8:51am On Aug 14, 2013
Hmm it seems ife is somehow related 2
Nneka sha well let's wait n c until HBG
says Otherwise. Weldon sis u 2 much
#hugsnKisses#

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Eneze1(f): 11:47am On Aug 14, 2013
thumps up HBG, this is really a nice piece keep up the good work, btw where in south Africa do u reside, am presently in Pretoria.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:26pm On Aug 14, 2013
Eneze1: thumps up HBG, this is really a nice piece keep up the good work, btw where in south Africa do u reside, am presently in Pretoria.
When I am there I reside in Pretoria North, used to live in Sunnyside when I was still in school.

Have fun, and thanks....#fingers crossed as you explore my hometown grin grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:34pm On Aug 14, 2013
bigsholly: Hmm it seems ife is somehow related 2
Nneka sha well let's wait n c until HBG
says Otherwise. Weldon sis u 2 much
#hugsnKisses#
thanks dear, we just have to wait right? grin grin

@ B.kay thanks darling.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by babyzai(f): 11:03pm On Aug 15, 2013
Seems Ife is Nneka's daughter, all d same 1daful job ure doing sweety. God bless u

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:06pm On Aug 15, 2013
babyzai: Seems Ife is Nneka's daughter, all d same 1daful job ure doing sweety. God bless u
*lips sealed* thanks dear
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 16, 2013
Hmmmmmmo, let d show continue
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:04pm On Aug 17, 2013
⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵✽̤̈ Chapter8✽̤̈·̵·̵̭̌«̶⌣

Ife and Malaika carried out their chores in silence. It had been a week after she had asked about Femi and had to drop the subject as she had realised it made her friend grumpy so she decided it would be better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Their roommates had to be somewhere and they had decided to spring clean their apartment since they all have been too busy after June holidays. The only thing Ife hated was cleaning the deep freezer, the thing took time to defrost and wasted her time as she would have to mop the floor once in a while, while the ice melted.

She took out a stainless steel table knife and started scrapping off the ice on the freezer shelves. The sound was defeaning, making her grind her teeth as she worked.

One thing she needed to do though; was to be busy.

The past week hasn't been a good one for her as her father's condition was getting worse, she couldn't imaging her life without her father. His death would pose threads into her life as her uncles from her mother's side hated her with passion, she was a mixed breed they couldn't stand.

One of her aunts had said it to her face that if her father died, she would be send packing to her bitter end. Her cousin sister had been failing jamb since forever and the mother got jealous when she realised that Ife was succeeding in life.

She lately felt an urge to start looking for her mother but she didn't know where to start as nobody knew what had become of her.

“Hey, you will damage the freezer.” Malaika was kneeling besides her, “Are you okay?” She asked a bit worried.

Who would she turn to if he died? Will the woman who raised her stem the tide? She threw the knife in the sink and ran to their bedroom, Malaika right behind her. She sat on her bed composed and confident.

“I am okay, its just that my father's condition is taking a toll on me.”

“Your father's condition?” Malaika asked bewildered. Ife nodded. “Is he sick? What's wrong?”

Ife told her everything and then burst into tears, weeping in a way that Malaika had to hold her like a little girl.

“Don't talk like that, he won't die.” She said soothenly.

“Malaika, cancer kills people.”

Malaika said nothing, her phone rang, Ife saw the caller's name and stopped crying. Something inside her snapped. Malaika had to drop it.

“Mike?” Ife asked sarcastically, what was the world turning into? Her roommate and her ex boyfriend?

“Yeah, its not what you think though.”

“Obviously it isn't, I wouldn't hold you into it though, I know that he loves you. Just thought you would have the decency to tell me.” She stormed out of the room swaying her hips.

“I am not dating Mike Ife!” Malaika cater wauled after her. Ife didn't turn just bannged the bedroom door. She had to finish cleaning the fridge, she would cross the bridge when the time came, that's if her father dies.

“Ife, I can explain.” Malaika said behind her, why couldn't she let the whole thing go? There was more to life than dating Mike.

The small cubes she had scrabbed were still in her hand, she turned around, slowly getting up and stuffed the lot into Malaika's mouth. Malaika just stared at her, eyes looking like they would pop from their holes. Yes, that worked, it shut her up. She kneeled down satisfied and carried on with her chore. It was only when she felt cold on her spine that she realised that Malaika had stuffed the melting cubes on her back.

Ife turned around to face Malaika who stood next to her, arms crossed on her chest a sly grin displayed on her face.

“You didn't!” Ife sneered at her. Malaika had an infectious laugh that started with a chortle, then pouted, eyebrows raised.

“Fine, I am sorry, its just that you needed to stop bleating about Mike.” They laughed themselves silly, chasing each other around the apartment throwing Ice at each other.

“Mike means a lot to me more than you can imagine girlie, he has been keeping an eye on me for four months now.” Malaika screamed dodging a cube.

Ife smiled mischievously. “Really?”

“Yea.”

“What happened to Femi?” She peered through the curtains down the busy road, cars honking every minute.

“Don't know, don't even care.” Replied Malaika pouting.

“Hian, wetin happen?”

“He is a goat.”

“A goat?”

“A pig!”

“A pig?”

“A dog.”

“Haba nau.”

Malaika burst into tears then, Ife put aside a bowl of cubes she had in her hand and sat next to her friend, who needed a shoulder to cry on.

“He hit me, several times, I thought it was just love, I fell pregnant, he dumped me and told me to abort the baby, after getting rid of it I found out he is engaged to some lady.”

Wow, the Femi guy was something else. She thanked her gods she never met him, his presence would have made her puke on his face. His cruelty was beyond repair, a wolf in a sheep's clothing. Still she couldn't understand what Femi had to do with Mike, the two were opposites.

“So where does Mike fit in all of this?”

“I asked him for help one time and everything started from there. Femi came here the other day, he was threatening me and they had a lip fight with Mike.” She had turned on the waterworks, Ife let her cry it out. Through sobs she managed to tell it all.

“As they were tearing at each other, Femi grabbed me and Mike poured fire on us, I...”

“Waag a biggie, in this flat? Where?” Ife interrupted shocked and on a verge of tears. A gun? Being fired or just pointed at her face would have killed her. She watched as her friend walked to the passage, and sat at the center of it.

“Were you not scared?”

Malaika shook her head. “No, I just don't know what became of me after that as I woke up at Mike's flat the morning after.”

They were sitting down, legs crossed, elbows balanced on their thighs, faces nestled on their fists.

“Hmmm, what did Mike say?”

“He wasn't there, remember Dan?” Ife nodded. “He was at his funeral, it was just me and Dineo, his niece.”

Never once did Ife see Angie's fortitude waver during that time of trials, she had swept everything under the mat and had learned to bear the weight of her cross. How does she do it? Pregnancy? Abortion? School work? And almost getting killed?

“Mike got into trouble with Femi to save your life? Why didn't you tell me this? Don't you think you need to seek professional help? This is way too much to bear Angie.”

“I am fine.”

“Sure?“

“Yea, Mike has already taken care of that, we saw a counsellor together back in July.”

“Brave heart, that's what Mike is. I am glad our fling brought something to write home about for you my friend, I just wasn't ready for anything solid then, and still not.”

“Your time will come.”

They got up, this time determined to finish their chores. Nomore running around like headless chickens. “Yep, go and call Mike, and please no plans for tonight. Kenny is coming over, she might sleep over too.” Ife knew Kenny wasn't Malaika's favourite and always try her best to bring them together.

“Double the trouble, what is it with you and this girl anyway?” She asked absent minded.

“Nothing, her parents flew in this morning for her brother's lobola negotiations so she asked if she could crash here. I hope you don't mind? Since Bots and Lelo aren't here?”

Malaika shook her head, as long as the girl doesn't tease her tribe as she had done before it was fine. “Its fine, just tell her to behave.”

Ife smiled satisfied, “Thanks girlfriend, go now, I want the full gist, so that we can kill that idiot called Femi. He is going to regret the day he was born trust me.”

“Easy girl, he is just human.”

“Human? I am going to show him, never to mess with my friends, Kenny's boko haramist brother will deal with him.”

“Ai, I will be back.” Malaika walked off to the balcony to call Mike, and Ife headed to the kitchen cursing Femi.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:16pm On Aug 17, 2013

The frantic knock at the door halted her from what she was doing. She sat on her bed as her roommate worked her magic on her itchy scalp.

Malaika had offered to wash her hair instead of going to the salon to have it washed, why buy the hair dryer if she was going to waste money at the salon? That was her friend's argument and since they had spend half of their saturday dissing each other, they needed something to calm down.

They decided she would go and check who was at the door while Malaika washed off the grease on her hands. It was a little after 10pm and Ife was convinced that Kehinde was not coming anymore, she didn't pick her calls or replied her messages, so she had gathered she was busy with her family.

She peered though the kitchen window to see who it was, and behold; Kenny stood there shivering, body wrapped by her hands like she was trying to hold onto something that was forcing itself to be set free. Ife quickly unlatched the door and unlocked the buglar door.

“Come in.” Kenny staggered into the passage, her eyes puffy, mascara darkened under her swallon eyes. Dark eyeshadow smudged from the corners of her eyes like she had been wiping tears for quite some time. Her ladylike temperament was gone, she stood there like a five year old who had misplaced her doll.

Ife watched her friend in despair, the last time they talked she was more than okay. She hugged her tight as a bitter gust lashed against her face. She tried not to, she did, but one perfectly round drop edged down her numb cheek. It fell onto Kenny's blouse, burying her head on her shoulder out of shame and sorrow, more salty droplets seeped from her eyes. Ife was crying.

But worst of all, she felt weak, she felt powerless and all she wanted to do was cry, the reason for feeling like that was unknown to her though Kenny's sobs, the heavy breathing and gasping told her that whatever it was, it had broken her heart.

Malaika separated them, and they walked Kenny back to their bedroom. They tried to make her talk but all she could manage to do was gasp.

“Here, drink this.” Malaika handed Kenny a glass of water, which she gulped and downed in one go. “Feeling better?” The two girls were weird to Malaika and their bond was becoming way too suspicious to her.

Ife sat besides Kenny, massaging her on the back, trying to ease the tension.
“What happened Kehinde?”

Kenny hesitated for some time, still holding onto the glass. “What do you do when you just wake up one day to realise your living a lie? I am an adopted child.”

“God of TB Joshua! What is happening today?” Ife gasped, studying Kenny's face, for something to say it was a lie, and Kenny nodded, tears streaming down her flushed cheeks.

“Yea, Boko Haram and that bitch called Idowu felt they had to blurt it out and my parents didn't even deny it.”

“Why take this long to tell you?” Ife pressed on.

“It was a buried secret so my mother says but this things has a way of coming out hey?”

“I am sorry.” Ife said sympathetically. Malaika was pacing up and down the room, after some time she squarted infront of Kenny, with a curious face.

“If you are adopted and have a name Kehinde, doesn't that mean you have a twin? Taiyo or something? I mean that's what my ex told me about yoruba twins.”

“Yea, what happened to your twin?” Ife chipped in.

“I was born as a twin true, the other twin was taken by another family.”

“Wow!” Malaika got up, “So you don't you want to know where she or he is? And your biological mother? Who was she? Why did she leave?”

“My parents knows nothing about the other family and as for my biological mother she was just a teenager herself, an igbo lady, Nneka Okere. They don't know why she left.”

Kenny had told Ife about her brother's cruelty towards her but she had never imagined it to be so serious as she had dismissed it as a sibling rivalry.

“What did your brother want to gain by telling you all this?”

“Oba-femi is possess..”

“Oba-femi?” Ife and Malaika chorused, shocked.

“Yes, what's wrong?”

“That's my ex's name but there are thousands of Femi's in this world.”

Ife waved Malaika's explanation off with her hand, there was something more.

“Wait o. Malaika, that our victim is engaged right?” Malaika nodded. “And Kenny, Boko Haram, aka Femi is engaged too and lives in Arcardia?” Kenny nodded too. “Your surname is Abayomi ba?” She nodded again. “And Malaika, what's our victim's surname?”

“Abayomi.” She whispered.

“Tufiakwa!” Ife snapped her fingers, clapping her hands in disblief. “Wonders shall never end under the sun o!”

The girls just looked at her, they had nothing to say, as they both knew what kind of a guy Femi was.

“You girls are a living proof of Boko Haram's brutality, you have received some slaps and harsh words from his majesty eh? May our friendship grow stronger because we are going to teach Femi Abayomi a lesson he no go forget for the rest of hin life! God is my witness.”

“Amen o!” Kenny and Malaika twittered happily.

Ife volunteered to tell Kenny what Femi did to Malaika, it was obvious that Ife was adding fuel to the fire. While they talked, Malaika made them coffee and offered them the cookies she baked that afternoon. She had a weird feeling about Ife and Kenny, they had similar characteristics and she had read it somewhere that most twins share the same IQ, personality traits and a whole lot. Or why would Ife weep like that when Kenny arrived? Like she felt her pain?

Meanwhile she had asked Mike about the Okere name, she had seen it on Nia's birth certificate and he had confirmed that Nia's mother's name is Kedibone Okere.

“Well then, let's see if this Okere will lead us somewhere ladies, I think facebook is a good place to start.” With that Ife was on her laptop already searching for Kedibone Okere, Kehinde and Malaika sitting besides her.

Ife didn't know why she was hands on with the issue but she felt like something needed to be done. She knew there were many Nneka Okeres in the world but the information they had at hand would do for now. Her body cried out for sleep but she didn't listen, she stared at the computer screen while sipping her coffee.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:23pm On Aug 17, 2013

The facebook search showed just one Kedibone Okere, a beautiful classy lady.

“That's her, never seen her before but Nia is a chip of this block.” Malaika said munching the cookie she had in hand.

“Let's see if we can get to her profile.” Ife clicked her profile which gave them nothing as there wasn't anything to write home about, no school qualifications, no present job or any family.

“Try her pictures, maybe something will come out of it.” Kenny added with a tired voice, the girl could do with some sleep, only if she would agree. They were on some wild goose chase and it wasn't good for her.

Ife clicked on the file that was written, 'my family.' There were random pictures of the Kedibone and a girl Malaika said she is Mike's daughter. There were more than two hundred photos and Ife was tired of clicking next.

“Maybe we should get some rest ladies, this might be far from what we are looking for.” Ife watched her friend, who hadn't touched her cookies, maybe she had no apetite, the matter at hand was heart breaking to be thinking of food anyway.

“Yea, and maybe Kenny should think about this?” Malaika jumped in, Ife realised that she was worried about Kenny too, well maybe by just profession. “ What if your looking for someone who doesn't want you? Are you willing to put your life on hold just for all this? Think about your parents. The ones who raised you, please.”

Kenny let out a nervious laugh. “Guys chill, I just want some answers, if I don't find her then I will leave it, it doesn't mean I will leave my family. I love them way too much but I need to know my identity. Move joor.” She took the laptop from Ife's laps and scrolled down the pictures.

A family picture caught her eye, she had seen the people in it before and the house. Ife too googled at the picture as the pieces started fitting into the puzzle slowly.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by bumajay: 4:03pm On Aug 17, 2013
Wow! Awesome and beautiful story, thumbs up HBG

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:12pm On Aug 17, 2013
bumajay: Wow! Awesome and beautiful story, thumbs up HBG
Thanks for dropping by dear

Stay blessed.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Sangarara: 4:20pm On Aug 17, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: its nice doing what I love, hoping that somewhere, someone will learn from my work Haki ya nyuma saa wewe
Hiki kiswahili unachoandika mi sina mbavu huku.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 5:00pm On Aug 17, 2013
Omg! That was awesome! #gasps for breathe#

my sweet big sis HBG # hugs her tightly#.
You just made my evening...I love youuu...I swearragawd!
Gee!

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:21pm On Aug 17, 2013
BukkyDan: Omg! That was awesome! #gasps for breathe#

my sweet big sis HBG # hugs her tightly#.
You just made my evening...I love youuu...I swearragawd!
Gee!
wink wink hey don't go all soapy on me now lol

Thanks my darling. *steals a peck on her cheek* smiley
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 21, 2013
What's this rubbish now sad
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 21, 2013
scipher: What's this rubbish now sad
get out son

@topic
congrats HBG smiley

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by demelza: 5:14pm On Aug 21, 2013
Seeing this on the frontpage brought me here. Lemme go see what it is about.
But 10pages?
*plunges in*
Hope its worth my while!
#fingers crossed

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 21, 2013
Congrats on hitting the front page...

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Eneze1(f): 5:21pm On Aug 21, 2013
this last update just blow me away, nice one HBG and congrats on making the front page, time to pop champagne

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 6:38pm On Aug 21, 2013
#Pop champagne.....!#
My big sis is on Frontpage!

#dancing Etighi#
Congrats o, more feathers to ya cap. cheesy

#starts singing# we dey celebrate...we dey pop champagne....

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by portablechizzy(f): 6:42pm On Aug 21, 2013
Nice write-up keep it up

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 21, 2013
Xenophobia xenophobia, nothing about your drug dealing boyfriends... naijans have messed with you mind my girlie.. you near sunnyside and hillbrow nogal, smh.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 21, 2013
You try o, you don enter front page at last. Congrats to you dearie.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Decryptor(m): 8:05pm On Aug 21, 2013
@Poster, tomorrow 22 August will make it exactly a year you registered on NL and yet u have made over 7,000 comments shocked shocked Abi you dey live inside NL server?

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 21, 2013

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

How Gbenga Found Love / Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail / Here Is How To Get Any Fictional Novel By Any Author At All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.