Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Jewels Of Africa - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jewels Of Africa (46168 Views)

Church Of England Issues Formal Apology Over Betrayal Of Africa's First Bishop / Jewels Of Lucifer- A Play By A Nairaland Boy, Cosmos Nuel AKA Emyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Mynd44: 5:45pm On May 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: undecided what do you want your honor?
Update today
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:52pm On May 06, 2013
Mynd_44:
Update today
can't, you of all people should know what it takes to write this stuff
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Mynd44: 6:04pm On May 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: can't, you of all people should know what it takes to write this stuff
I have no idea what you are talking about ma'am. tongue
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:57pm On May 06, 2013
Mynd_44:
I have no idea what you are talking about ma'am. tongue
ok, will update
Re: Jewels Of Africa by duchess3: 12:28am On May 07, 2013
Patiently waiting 4 d completion of dis story...humbledbygrace..where art thou?
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Eneze1(f): 2:35pm On May 07, 2013
HBG nice story line love this, following following following
Re: Jewels Of Africa by princesa(f): 7:43pm On May 08, 2013
HBG come and update oh
i want a feel of south africa
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:58pm On May 09, 2013
“I am so sorry, Malaika, this is my uncle Moeketsi, but his friends calls him Mike, but I call him Keke.” Dineo introduced the two whom were lost in their own thoughts as soon as they stepped out of the clinic. Malaika, looked down embarrassed, waiting for Mike's reaction.

“We have met before.” Mike said as he walked away from the girls towards the parking lot, giving Dineo a look that said he was in a hurry.

Dineo waved a sad goodbye to Malaika still bewildered about her uncle's change in facial expression; the kind looking face had turned into a mean looking face.

“Keke, what was that all about?” Dineo asked as soon as they drove off from the clinic. Mike didn't even look at his Niece he gave her a short reply that meant no more questions.

“The reason your in this position is because you like meddling into elders business, your fifteen act like it!”.

Dineo shrunked back in her seat and minded her business. Whatever her uncle and Malaika shared was big, she decided that she would call Malaika later and ask her.

Mike was disappointed in Malaika, she had seemed to be different from the other three the night they were together. She had seemed to be cautious about everything, why would she be so stupid to end up having an abortion? The girl whom had talked about how strict her mother was and had never dated anyone back home?

Did South Africa change these girls thinking towards life? He glared at his niece; she was a perfect example of how girls without good parenting ends up. Pregnant at an early age and by the time they reach their 20's they would have three to four children from different fathers; the kind of children known as Mixed vegetables .

“Keke...” Dineo said as she got out of the car, it was already dark when they arrived home. Mike carried her inside tickling her and put her down on a couch in their living room. He had a bachelor's pad; a masters bedroom with a huge closet to fit ten people standing, and a bathroom. Upstairs was his office and another bedroom and a bathroom between the two. Near his bedroom downstairs was the living room and a well furnished kitchen.

He left her to rest on the couch as he put the kettle on. “Are you ok there? Should I get you a blanket?” He asked looking tenderly at her niece; her innocent looking face jogged his memory about the past. Dineo looked so much like her mother, his twin sister.

“Stop fusing over me, I am fine.” She let out a stifled laugh and went on; “I just feel sorry for Malaika, she is all alone and her roommates won't be back till next week.”

Mike came to sit next to her, handing her a cup of steamy milo. They sipped their drinks in silence for some time, Mike finished his first and placed his mug on the coffee table.

“Look baby, I know Malaika and her crew. I thought she wasn't as lose as her friends but she proved me wrong.” He turned and their eyes locked. “I don't want you associating with her type okay?” This time Dineo shook her head, she disagreed with her uncle.

“She just wanted to fit in Keke, she has learned her lesson.”

“She wanted to fit in by sleeping around? Your cases are different! She is twenty one and should be deemed responsible.”

“And you?” Dineo got up from the couch too angry to care about her words. “Your 27 and have a baby and its mother with all her drama! If your man enough why don't you marry her and set an example for me?”

Mike too was enraged. What the hell was this brat thinking? Talking to him like that? “Like mother like daughter, your just walking in her footsteps. Cheeky and a loose tongue, its a pity she died to save you. ”

Dineo let out a sarcastic laugh and got up, pausing at her bedroom door, she shouted; “you know an apple doesn't fall far away from the tree...and you can certainly choose your friends but not your family!” She slammed the door hard enough for Mike to hear.

He hated fighting with her but it looked like that's all they do lately. He had too much on his plate to deal with her outbursts, he couldn't wait for her to go back to school. They understand each other better when they are apart...History was indeed repeating itself. He used to have this kind of fights with Mahlohonolo; Dineo's mother but he loved her to bits.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:00pm On May 09, 2013
Winter lies too long in country towns; hangs on until it is stale and shabby, old and sullen.

The scene of human life was spread out shrunken and pinched, frozen down to the bare stalk. Malaika felt cold inside and outside, the heater was on and had a hot water bottle placed on her belly but she still felt cold.

Maybe it was because she longed to cuddle with someone, she needed a warm masculine arms wrapped around her....walking would be impossible but she could try.

Femi needed to be there for her, he was the cause of the pain after all, the least he could do was to be with her.

She got up, took a quick shower and put on her Nike track suit, leaving her face natural. She wasn't going to Femi's flat to lure him into taking her back, she just needed his company.

Walking from Sunnyside to Arcadia at night was huge risk for anyone, the place wasn't safe at all, especially at the small crossing near SunnyPark Mall and SAPS, it didn't have the aura of the security it should have, considering it was next to a police station. She had heard of homeless people who slept at the park, most of them were foreigners who had come to South Africa looking for greener pastures, when things flopped for them they live in the streets as there was no means of going back home.

She felt pity for such and had always given them some coins but she wasn't so sure how they would react when they say a female walking alone at night.

“Gotcha!” A husky male voice startled Malaika, she turned around and found a tall, well dressed gentleman smiling down at her. Status scent all over the place, he looked like a kind of a guy who just stepped out of a Lamborghini even though there was no car around them.

“Mhm...you...hi, ” the best thing to do when your afraid is not to show it as it would give the opponent a go ahead to do as he likes with you.

“I scared you right? I saw you walking all alone. Was having a cup of coffee at MacDonald.” He said still smiling “you know its dangerous out here right?”

Malaika remained mute. She was in pain and cold. The guy kept talking until they reached Malaika's destination, the guy opened the gate and let her in as she had no tag.

“This is where I live, which floor are you going to?” He asked as they climbed the stairs.

“fifth floor, room six.” Malaika informed him, trying to catch her breath. He stopped too, “I live in room six on the same floor, how come I don't know you?”

“I don't know you either, I am Femi's girlfriend.” The guy laughed at first, but frowned as he realized that Malaika wasn't joking.

“Girl, let me take you back to wherever you come from. I don't want to see drama, I am tired and would be at peace if you turn here and go home.” He said still frowning.

“Why? I need to see Femi,” she protested.

“Femi is not around, he went out and he will probably be back after midnight, that's if he comes back.” He lied.

“Well, I will wait for him.” She walked to the door and knocked, a voluptuous lady opened the door, she frowned when she saw Malaika but relaxed as Femi's roommate entered following Malaika.

The lady looked at Malaika and nodded at Femi's roommate. “So the holy Ademola has brought his girlfriend?” She chuckled closing the door behind her. “No, I came to see....” Malaika tried to explain herself but Ademola cut in; “My girlfriend is trying to say she came to see my place. She hasn't been here since I moved in.” He smiled, putting his arm on Malaika's shoulder, who shrugged it off and slumped on the couch in the living room.

“Well you guys will have to excuse me, I have to go to bed, it was nice meeting you....”

“Malaika,” she informed her

“Oh, it was nice meeting you Malaika, I am Ntando by the way.”

“Like wise.”

The voluptuous lady headed for Femi's bedroom. Malaika looked at Ademola whom had been silent throughout the ladies pleasantries. “What is going on?” Malaika asked still on the couch, hands in her pockets.

“This is not my place to say so...I think its best I take you home girl,” Ademola said sympathetically. Malaika could sense that something was wrong, the guy was just trying to protect his friend. “I think you should have called before you came, because now is not a good time.” Ademola added..

Malaika's stomach turned, she felt sick and dizzy. She had forgotten her medication at home. “Are you okay? Do you need to lay down? You look pale. I don't think you are in a position to walk now.” Just then Femi entered the house humming to a song that could be heard through his headsets. He greeted his roommate without noticing Malaika. She called his name and he stopped, turned around and starred at her. She got up, still feeling fuzzy and hugged him, he didn't return the hug but pushed her away from him. Ademola went out and left them to solve their problems.

“What are you doing here?” Femi asked looking disgusted at her. Malaika, started crying, how on earth would he ask her that? After everything?

“I came to see you, I couldn't spend the night alone, I have...I did...” She said through tears

“Whatever you did, you look terrible.” He thundered and called out to Ntando with a calmer voice. “baby, this is the girl I told you about, I don't know what she wants but she needs to rest.”

Ntando frowned “you mean she is going to sleep with us?” Femi nodded, “Hell to the N.O! Call a cab for her, or something. Or she can sleep with Ade, they are friends after all.”

“Baby, listen, can we talk this over in the bedroom?” Femi let Ntando to his bedroom and slammed the door behind him.

Malaika walked back to the couch tears streaming down her cheeks. She had after all got herself into this mess. The two lovebirds had left her on the couch without even giving her a towel to cover herself. After what seemed like forever Femi came to her and let her to his bed where his new girlfriend separated them. Malaika had no other choice but to listen to their petty pillow talk and kissing.

She thought the girl was stupid, if Femi could treat his ex like a doormat what will become of her if she falls pregnant? Femi was no keeper after all. When she was sure they were asleep she crept out of bed and headed to the living room where Ademola was lying on the couch watchin tv.

“Hi,” Malaika greeted him, taking a seat next to him. He nodded; “Hi,”

It was an awkward moment for both of them, “I am sorry.” Ademola said, switching off the television. He got up, headed for his room and came back with a blanket, he handed it to Malaika. She thanked him and offered the other half to him. “Thank you, your too kind, ” she battled with tears but ended up swallowing her pride. “I should have listened to you.”

“Ntando, is a very nice lady, its unfortunate you guys met under this circumstances....” He searched Malaika's expression but nothing was there. She looked out of place, like she was in some other planet. “I have known her for three years, she has stood by Femi through thick and thin. Her family knows Femi and so does his. Femi's sisters flew from Nigeria from time to time to visit Ntando and her family. Remember Femi lost his sister recently? ” Malaika nodded, arms wrapped on her legs and head resting on her knees. “Ntando flew with him to Nigeria for his sister's burial.”

“But you or Ntando were not here when Femi and I were dating, I only met Phil.” She asked

“Phil is a friend of ours, I was doing an internship in Limpopo so I asked him to stay here as I didn't want to rent it to a stranger, as for Ntando she was out of a country, doing a three months course.”

“Oh, I see. Is Ntando a South African?”

“Yea, her mother is zulu and her father is a yoruba from Cameroon, so that makes her half breed.”

Malaika said nothing after that, she understood very well what Ife meant the first day they met about her parents; Nigerian tribes marry within their tribe. She and Femi were history, he was inlove with Ntando, she was yoruba after all.

Ademola excused himself and went to bed, leaving Malaika, counting the tiles on the floor, always getting different figures after each session. She kept counting them until nature took its cause and she drifted to sleep.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:01pm On May 09, 2013
duchess3: Patiently waiting 4 d completion of dis story...humbledbygrace..where art thou?
my apologies ma'am
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:03pm On May 09, 2013
Eneze1: HBG nice story line love this, following following following
Thanks Eze....hope I don't dissappoint thee
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:05pm On May 09, 2013
princesa: HBG come and update oh
i want a feel of south africa
lol....you should visit sometime
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 4:51pm On May 09, 2013
Ki ni gbogbo rubbish yi ke? Se won sekpe fun malika ni?
Dis gal needs deliverance o!
Ha! It's likes she's having a problem upstairs. #my vex is very annoyed#

hey sis HBG, this is not the best point to stop o, add something fun mi o#frowns#

anyway, I still appreciate, great job you've got big sis.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:54pm On May 09, 2013
BukkyDan: Ki ni gbogbo rubbish yi ke? Se won sekpe fun malika ni?
Dis gal needs deliverance o!
Ha! It's likes she's having a problem upstairs. #my vex is very annoyed#

hey sis HBG, this is not the best point to stop o, add something fun mi o#frowns#

anyway, I still appreciate, great job you've got big sis.
pls explain the bolded first
Re: Jewels Of Africa by superbloke(m): 7:27pm On May 10, 2013
Great work there. Looks like 'Mr. Nice guy' Ademola will catch Malaika's fancy.
HBG keep doing your thing. Don't Stop o, abeg! smiley

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 10:28am On May 12, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: pls explain the bolded first

I thought you understood yoruba...I mean 4rm your signature.
Happy sunday big sis
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:57pm On May 12, 2013
superbloke: Great work there. Looks like 'Mr. Nice guy' Ademola will catch Malaika's fancy.
HBG keep doing your thing. Don't Stop o, abeg! smiley
convinced.... wink cheesy
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Xtranoble: 3:17pm On May 12, 2013
Such a nice write up HBG. It would sure make a nice novel. Such novel would be well appreciated across the continents seems you tend to blend the west, south and Eastern Africa in your work. More ink to you Pen. Bless you.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:38pm On May 12, 2013
Xtranoble: Such a nice write up HBG. It would sure make a nice novel. Such novel would be well appreciated across the continents seems you tend to blend the west, south and Eastern Africa in your work. More ink to you Pen. Bless you.
thank you

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by superbloke(m): 5:47pm On May 12, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: convinced.... wink cheesy

smiley
Re: Jewels Of Africa by princesa(f): 6:36pm On May 12, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: lol....you should visit sometime
i will grin

about the fact that Nigerians don't intermarry, am seeing that fact is true, like true not good sha.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:46pm On May 12, 2013
princesa:
i will grin

about the fact that Nigerians don't intermarry, am seeing that fact is true, like true not good sha.
errm
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:47pm On May 12, 2013
superbloke:
smiley
wink
Re: Jewels Of Africa by princesa(f): 7:22pm On May 12, 2013
HumbledbYGrace:
errm
i meant cross marry to other tribes, sorry grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:28pm On May 12, 2013
princesa:
i meant cross marry to other tribes, sorry grin
oh, ok. Pheew!
Re: Jewels Of Africa by luvmijeje(f): 10:09pm On May 12, 2013
HBG well done. So far so good but this ur update is not long o despite taking so long to update.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:28pm On May 12, 2013
luvmijeje: HBG well done. So far so good but this ur update is not long o despite taking so long to update.
laziness @ its peak...

Thanks girl
Re: Jewels Of Africa by An0nimus: 11:45pm On May 13, 2013
we're waitingrin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:40am On May 14, 2013
An0nimus: we're waitingrin

SAME HERE grin grin grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:08pm On May 17, 2013
The metal clock hanging on the wall was distracting her, its ticking was too loud, even a baby would be pertubed by it. The blanket she had was too light to keep her warm, especially at the crack of dawn.

Checking her wrist watch she realized that it was just 4 am. She had been sleeping for four hours, why was she even here? Scrambling to her feet, she immediately felt the throbbing pain down her abdomen. She had to be still as there was no way she would endure the pain but then she couldn't just sit there freezing.

She decided to pace about the living room. Her phone beeped, it was a ping from Dineo, she pinged her back immediately. After that Dineo called her, the conversation was short as Malaika didn't want to wake his majesty king Obafemi and her majesty queen Ntando.

She asked for Mike's number and ended the call. It rang three times before it went straight to voice mail.

Lord please have mercy on me, I know I did you wrong but please make Mike answer his phone Amen. she made a short prayer and send Dineo
a bbm message.

Malaika: Hey, he ain't picking.

Dineo: oh!

Malaika: gosh, I need to get home, I am cold and I forgot my med (sick)

Dineo: where you at

Malaika: At my ex's flat, dunno what I was thinking. Don't ask what transpired but I am condemning myself already.

Dineo: give me ten minutes, I will go and wake him, brb... wink

Dineo took more than ten minutes and it felt like a lifetime.

Dineo: Hey, you can call him now, I screamed and he came panting to my room. I told him I had a nightmare, he just left now....don't waste time.

After receiving Dineo's message she called Mike again, this time he picked after the first ring. “Helo?” a masculine voice said at the other end of the line. Malaika trembled with fear, what would she say to Mike? The voice came again;

“Hello?”

Pull yourself together! she told herself. “Hi, Moeketsi, its Malaika, can we talk?”

“Talk? At 4:30 in the morning?” He asked irritated. There was a moment of silence.

“Please.” Malaika made a plea whispering.

“Fine, give me a second.” There was a sound of a door opening and closing. “Ok, I am all ears, what's wrong?” In a serious tone.

“I don't know where to start.” She said.

“Young lady, you wake me up at 4:30 in the morning asking if we could talk and then you don't know where to start?..” His voice grew louder and sounded angry. “I am not with your friend anymore so I can't do you any special favours. Meeting my niece at the clinic doesn't change the fact that I don't like your type. Now if you will excuse me, I have to get back to my beautiful sleep.”

Malaika, had been pacing back and forth in the living room while Mike was giving her a piece of his mind, she ended up in the bathroom, she locked herself in and sat on the toilet seat.

“Please wait...would you be able to come and pick me up? I am in Acardia and cold, I forgot my medication at the flat and not too strong enough to walk.” Malaika sighed, wondering if that came out right.

“I can't come, how about you call a cab?”

“Please Mike.”

There was dead killing silence, it looked like Mike was pondering on the issue. At last he asked for the directions and promised to be there within an hour or so.

“Thank you Mike.” She said getting up and colliding with Femi on the door in his boxers. She got out of his way, but he pulled her to him.

“So your running after Mike now?” He asked sarcastically, she glared at him and kept mute. She could feel his hot breath down her newly shaved head, it was just like the first day he had slapped her, she trembled and shuddered, her whole body shook with fear.

She wondered how on Earth was it possible that she still had feelings for Femi, after everything he did to her.

“Answer me!” He thundered. Still mute, she looked down, proddling at the bathroom rag with the tip of her sneakers.

She had no energy to fight him, even if she had, it was obvious she would lose. He pushed her inside the bathroom and locked them inside. She was now crouched on the cold ceramic floor, tears welling down her beautiful dark chocolate skin.

“Was that child even mine? Or it was one of your love-vendor Ife's clients? ” He said squatting in front of her, his eyes were as red as the red sea with vains visible like roots of a bamboo tree.

“Why are you so angry Femi? Your the first guy I slept with and you know it.” She whispered.

Screwing up his eyes, he looked intently at the bright light of the globe above them. His face looked angry, ill-humoured, and preoccupied, like that of a man in pain forced to listen to nonsense. It looked like that's all he needed to know because he left her there slamming the door behind him.

She thanked God that he didn't kick her or slap her as usual, she got up and washed her face at the basin. Her reflection scared her, she looked so pale, like one of the women in Somalia when the country was struggling. All bony, with cheekbones like mountains, tears travelling down her face.

Clearing her voice she said to herself; I will be alright.

Mike send her a message, telling her he was at the gate, she got out of the toilet and took Femi's gate tag that was on the window seal near the door, unlocked the door and walked out, trudging down the stairs. By the time she reached ground floor, she was worn out.

Mike was waiting for her by the gate, before she knew it she collapsed in a heap on the floor. He wasn't sure what to do, he knew climbing the fence was a huge risk especially when he was a civil servant. It would look like a break in, he knew the rules very well,

“Malaika!” He called out her name. She looked up at him with tired eyes. “Throw me that tag, you have it right?”
She nodded and threw it to him, the streetlights helped him to see clearly, so he picked it up, opened the gate and carried her to his car.

When they were settled he asked about the tag. She mumbled something he couldn't hear, he decided to keep the tag, when the idiot needed it, he would come and get it.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Bluediamond1(f): 1:11pm On May 18, 2013
What is wrong with this gal?i dnt knw wether i pity or hate her?i got mixed feelings.
Btw,HBG nice work kip it up.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 18, 2013
Hbg can u pls tell us wat love meant 2 ds gal called malaika, dat made her look lyk a piece of rag 2 herself, and pls tell us why she love femi,and what is love(in her world)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail / Letter To My Friend Overseas / Chimamanda Adichie At Geneva Resort, Awka (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.