Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? (1874 Views)

Photo: What A South African Said About Nigerian Pastors / Pope US Visit Proves Nigerian Pastors Wrong!!! / Nigerian Pastors Who Hate Themselves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Acidosis(m): 6:29pm On Mar 31, 2013
The list is endless and I don't want to mention names but its a common thing to see names of Men of God with titles like Ph.D, Pastor (Dr), Engr, Pastor Dr. (Mrs), JP. etc

Do we really need all these titles to earn the respect we deserve?
Do we even need the respect from mortals?

Whats the value of the title PhD, Dr (academic) outside a campus?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 31, 2013
Very soon, we'll get a thread from Acidosis

- Why do pastors wear belts to church?
- Should Christians wear sandals to church?

Btw, your answer is in this question?

Whats the value of the title PhD, Dr (academic) outside a campus?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Mar 31, 2013
Chieftaincy titles will soon be included. HRH, Chief, balogun, otunba... pastor
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Mar 31, 2013
I think ur title shd be edited to "some nigerian paastors"

Maybe yes we have ps dr samson ayorinde n. Others likewise we have pastor E.O Adeboye n ps Sam Adeyemi. No titles
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Inova(m): 7:55pm On Mar 31, 2013
Vanity. Its just another way of reminding the worshipers dat the pastor is learned and hence can be trusted.
Left to me. I don't know why we have so many pastors these days. And to think they are clustered in LAGOS
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by HARDDON: 8:00pm On Mar 31, 2013
candygosh: I think ur title shd be edited to "some nigerian paastors"

Maybe yes we have ps dr samson ayorinde n. Others likewise we have pastor E.O Adeboye n ps Sam Adeyemi. No titles

Some don't evn include 'pastor' @ all

Eg David I.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by ezendiigbo1: 8:15pm On Mar 31, 2013
I wonder why stupidd xtians keep increasing on nairaland.
What is wrong with bearing professional titles?
Didn't they work for it?
It is even more humble than all these pastor,apostle,prophet,deacon e.t.c.
Who made you a pastor or an apostle over others?
Daftt thread.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by free2ryhme: 8:17pm On Mar 31, 2013
Academic degree misdirection
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Acidosis(m): 8:23pm On Mar 31, 2013
musKeeto: Very soon, we'll get a thread from Acidosis

- Why do pastors wear belts to church?
- Should Christians wear sandals to church?

Btw, your answer is in this question?

Lol... Well may be you're yet to listen to the testimony of Pastor E.A Adeboye.

His total breakthrough started when he obeyed God's message to him.. He started with all these academic jargons.

Now I'm not saying all pastors must be like him but are they trying to remind God they're professionals?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Acidosis(m): 8:33pm On Mar 31, 2013
eze ndi-igbo1:
I wonder why stupidd xtians keep increasing on nairaland.
What is wrong with bearing professional titles?
Didn't they work for it?
It is even more humble than all these pastor,apostle,prophet,deacon e.t.c.
Who made you a pastor or an apostle over others?
Daftt thread.
Lol.. why are you bitter? Have you eaten today?

When God call you to be a Pastor, and then you go about calling yourself Prof, PhD, it simply means you're not comfortable with the title God gave to you.
Or
You want to remind God - you went to school.

Adeboye is a PhD holder, he never rose beyond the level of a regular PhD holder until he listened to God's instruction. PhD doesn't add a thing to a ministry, but your cv. Who do you want to teach Geophysics, Medicine, land law or accounting in the Church? The sinners??
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 31, 2013
Back in my university days Gbile Akanni just want to be known as just brother but i don't know for now.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Acidosis(m): 8:47pm On Mar 31, 2013
Bidam: Back in my university days Gbile Akanni just want to be known as just brother but i don't know for now.
Same name..
Bro Gbile Akanni
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 31, 2013
Acidosis:
Same name..
Bro Gbile Akanni
Yeah thot as much.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Mar 31, 2013
Bidam: Back in my university days Gbile Akanni just want to be known as just brother but i don't know for now.

Still Bro Gbile.... God bless him for us..
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Goshen360(m): 12:31am On Apr 01, 2013
The one that baffles me is the use of REVEREND. Can somebody help me out where in scriptures they get REVEREND from? Is that part of the five-fold ministry gifts?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Joagbaje(m): 4:06am On Apr 04, 2013
Goshen360: The one that baffles me is the use of REVEREND. Can somebody help me out where in scriptures they get REVEREND from? Is that part of the five-fold ministry gifts?

What of MOST REVEREND ?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by enilove(m): 7:22am On Apr 04, 2013
If you have been bearing the title "Dr" ....b4 God called you into His ministry,what difference does it now make if you continue to bear the title Dr.

It is the intention of bearing the title that matters. If is is for bride or ego,God can tell you to drop the title. And if it is to maintain your identity and integrity you had b4 God called you ,it is not a sin,provided you are a broken Christian without any iota of pride in you.

If God calls Professor Wole Soyinka to be His servant today,you expect him to change his name to Pastor Wole Soyinka.
Changing the title does not mean his is changed internally or in the spirit.

When someone is born again,it is an internal change.

God knew those He had predestined to be His servants,and it was by His grace He made them Doctors ,Professors, Lawyers to inform those who might feel they are somebody because of their degrees , or to silence those that might say that Pastors were jobless or nobody b4 going into the work of God.

If makes more sense if a Doctor maintains his title so that he can win souls for God among the literates and the illiterates. The Professors,Doctors,Lawyers scientists etc are mostly proud people and most of them do not see reasons to be serious with God and their salvation.But they might want to listen when they hear messages of God from a Professor like them.

Your titles have nothing to do with the call of God in your life.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by Nobody: 7:29am On Apr 04, 2013
Titles shouldnt be exercised in the field of God cos we are all brothers. Using ur title is like trying to tell ur brothers that u are somehow better than them,hence segregation.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Pastors Include Academic Titles In Their Name? by AKO1(m): 12:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
Nope, nothing wrong with academic titles for Pastors. In fact, I prefer they use these titles outside of church circles so that they don't solicit any preferential treatment as 'men of God'.

However people like Prophetess Dr Mrs FirstName LastName PHD JP must make decide which is the most important.

(1) (Reply)

Is Christmas For True Christians? / The Way / An Atheist Professor Of Biology Converts To Christianity.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.