Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline (4796 Views)

Lai Mohammed: 'N398m For Computers In Budget Of 2016 Is Strange To Me' / Presidency Votes N3.6bn For BMW Cars In Budget 2016 / GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Ddaji(m): 6:30am On Apr 02, 2013
Kano Emerges Best In Fiscal Responsibility

Kano State tops the list of the most fiscally responsible states in terms of budget discipline in the 2012/2013 fiscal years.

Lagos State follows Kano in second place while Nasarawa and Edo states are joint third on the list.

According to an assessment made by Transparency in Nigeria (TIN), an affiliate of Transparency International (TI), a global coalition against corruption, Kano is the most transparent state when it comes to budgeting, budget implementation and monitoring.

A press release distributed to journalists by TIN coordinator, North-West zone, Comrade Abba Anwar, disclosed that many sources were used to get all the necessary information that led to the assessment of all the states of the federation.

The assessment, called Budget Discipline Perception Index (BDPI) 2012/2013, listed Adamawa, Bayelsa and Enugu as the worst states in terms proper and appreciable budget discipline.

“Other key areas the survey and the assessment critically viewed are issues related to stopping leakages at the implementation stage, commitment of public officials and, indeed, some lingering questions that interrogate the essential foundations of budget itself,” clarified the press release.

TIN further noted that the perception of budget process, implementation and evaluation in line with due process, probity, transparency and accountability philosophy were so glaring for all to see and assess.

It was revealed further that the assessment was critically viewed around government expenditure on human capital, youth and women-responsive budgeting, performance in the derivation of the internally generated revenue, housing and urban renewal, and the focus of budget to sectoral targets of the State Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy (SEEDS), among others.

Some of the points that scored Kano high were the sponsorship of 500 graduates to 14 countries of the world to pursue higher degrees in different fields, sponsorship of 100 students to Jordan to train as pilots, sponsorship of 200 youths to study medicine and pharmacy abroad, and the provision of 67 high capacity buses for the Girl-Child Education scheme.

Others high points for Kano are the establishment of three new cities in Kano - Kwankwasiyya, Amana and Bandarawo cities, construction of flyovers in the metropolis, establishment of 23 craft schools across the state, training of 88,000 women in different vocational skills, training of over 1,300 youths at the Farm Mechanisation Institute and the publication of the weekly executive council meeting in the state, among others.

It called on the state governments to always consider the stoppage of leakages as an important aspect of any meaningful budget, and advocated participatory budget process by the states of the federation.

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/51285/2013/04/02/kano_emerges_best_fiscal_responsibility.html
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Akshow: 6:57am On Apr 02, 2013
Like seriously? Are you freaking kidding me?
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Ddaji(m): 8:34am On Apr 02, 2013
@Akshow you are not happy,the news is not about bombing and killing.Bros is reality,insecurity shouldn't be excuse for non performance.kwankwassiya

5 Likes

Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by IGBOSON1: 8:47am On Apr 02, 2013
Good on Kano!

What exactly are the parameters for gauging a states level of fiscal responsibility?; i thought Anambra that says it hasn't borrowed shishi would feature prominently as one of the best? undecided undecided undecided

Maybe it hasn't deployed the one it has (allocation, taxes, levies, rates and grants) better than Kano and the other states at the top.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by vanstanzy(m): 8:54am On Apr 02, 2013
This is clearly a highly doctored report. Or is it April fool
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Nobody: 8:57am On Apr 02, 2013
Rubbish.... did they put into consideration on Human and capital lost caused by Boko Haram being breed in KANO
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by IGBOSON1: 9:16am On Apr 02, 2013
Can someone based in Kano start a thread like Spyder did with Enugu, and INNO did with Sokoto? One doesn't know what's going on there.....though from what i see on NTA, the Governor seems to be doing well in human capital development.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Sealeddeal(m): 9:31am On Apr 02, 2013
Enugu state has never scored 1st ten in anything whether by merit or by 'wayo',yet some people still think that Enugu state govt is the best in Nigeria.i laugh in arabic

3 Likes

Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by ewet: 12:12pm On Apr 02, 2013
Good one for Kano and thy should try to improve on their present laurel and other states shuld try to emulate this.Naija will be a beta place.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by FoxyUltimate(m): 12:13pm On Apr 02, 2013
I was born and brought up in Kano but escaped when the bombing started grin that was even before the targeted killing so I know how Kano was before I visited there recently. I went to Kano last month after I left there initially because of the bombing. Though there was tension in the air (I particularly was very afraid, boko boys can spot a yellow dude from afar grin grin), I was really impressed at the rate the the Governor is developing Kano. He did not take insecurity as an excuse for not developing the state even though a minimum of 2 people are killed each day (No ask me how I carry know angry).

With the rate at which Kano is developing, should there be peace, Kano is going to experience an influx of people because of the choice cities littered everywhere.

5 Likes

Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Nobody: 12:15pm On Apr 02, 2013
smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by eastOFwest(m): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2013
Nice one Kano!

Now we need the other northern states to follow suit in order to rid themselves of boko haramic tendencies.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 02, 2013
As una plant the seed, Boko boys go come uproot am then plant LAND MINE angry
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 02, 2013
i know that rivers state govt is a reckless spender but the riverst state govt has sent and is still sender over 10,000 rivers indigene to study abroad from bachellors to phd. i dont think that such yardstick should have been included in a show of fiscal responsibility but in all i congratulate the kano state govt.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Mujitapha(m): 12:33pm On Apr 02, 2013
I love kano. Kwankwasiyya Amana.

2 Likes

Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Policewoman(f): 12:36pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sealeddeal: Enugu state has never scored 1st ten in anything whether by merit or by 'wayo',yet some people still think that Enugu state govt is the best in Nigeria.i laugh in arabic
We can excuse them because they have an absentee governor. Bayelsa however has no excuse. With all the allocation they get, there is nothing to show for it.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Sibrah: 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2013
Where is my darling Bayelsa?
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by ajos(m): 1:07pm On Apr 02, 2013
dats d former defence minister,man of principles.......
d great
KWANKWASSIYA......AMANA
KWANKWASSIYA IN ASO ROCK COME 2015......
KWANKWASSIYA
AMANA
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by ajos(m): 1:15pm On Apr 02, 2013
bigfat10: BOKO HARAM CITY IS TRYING TO BE RESPONSIBLE... HOW KOME...
WATEVA U CALL IT....HOW COMES UR STATE NEVER MADE d list.....of BAD NAME AND GOOD NAME....ABI UNA STIL DEY LOCAL LEAGUE....?
PARK WELL MEK WE GIVE U VISA/GREEN CARD
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Nobody: 1:15pm On Apr 02, 2013
What really is the problem with bayelsa though?

They have the president, huge federal allocation, enough taxable oil companies and many illegal refineries(which the govt knows about). Still, they can't build shiit in that state!
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by plendil: 1:24pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sealeddeal: Enugu state has never scored 1st ten in anything whether by merit or by 'wayo',yet some people still think that Enugu state govt is the best in Nigeria.i laugh in arabic

It is not necessarily about how well the govt is performing per se, but how well they stick to their budget, and how transparently its implementation is.

If they devote X Naira to project Y, then its expected that exactly X naira - no more, no less - should be devoted to project Y, within the fiscal year, in a manner that can easily be vouched for transparency.

Its not about recklessly splashing out projects, however laudable they may be, all over the place. That seems to be the style of Enugu and Imo, as I will admit, being a frequent visitor to the place, that they do have a lot on ground. However, how transparently such monies are being deployed is another matter altogether.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by honeric01(m): 1:42pm On Apr 02, 2013
Yet Jonathan uses "insecurity" as a reason why he's not working.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by Tayo114: 1:43pm On Apr 02, 2013
Ok
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by malc619(m): 1:45pm On Apr 02, 2013
Policewoman: We can excuse them because they have an absentee governor. Bayelsa however has no excuse. With all the allocation they get, there is nothing to show for it.

Your comment is‎​ bereft of logic, common sense and objectivity.

Were you asleep when Enugu State officials claimed that Chime handed over properly and there was no breakdown in the system??

Who told you there's nothing to show for in Kano?? Do you live there??

It hurts you that a state with security challenges has showed more fiscal responsibility than the so-called "Pride of the East".. JEALOUSY!!!

Pls if you have nothing sensible to say, don't post on this thread!!!

cool. cool.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by danny301: 1:48pm On Apr 02, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Good on Kano!

What exactly are the parameters for gauging a states level of fiscal responsibility?; i thought Anambra that says it hasn't borrowed shishi would feature prominently as one of the best? undecided undecided undecided

Maybe it hasn't deployed the one it has (allocation, taxes, levies, rates and grants) better than Kano and the other states at the top.

They are talking about transparency and discipline in budget implementation. It has nothing to do with whether states borrowed money or not but how they judiciously utilized what was at their disposals.....

1 Like

Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by emiye(m): 1:57pm On Apr 02, 2013
malc619:

Your comment is‎​ bereft of logic, common sense and objectivity.

Were you asleep when Enugu State officials claimed that Chime handed over properly and there was no breakdown in the system??

Who told you there's nothing to show for in Kano?? Do you live there??

It hurts you that a state with security challenges has showed more fiscal responsibility than the so-called "Pride of the East".. JEALOUSY!!!

Pls if you have nothing sensible to say, don't post on this thread!!!

cool. cool.

She is referring to Bayelsa state and not Kano state.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by tashanja(m): 2:01pm On Apr 02, 2013
plendil:

It is not necessarily about how well the govt is performing per se, but how well they stick to their budget, and how transparently its implementation is.

If they devote X Naira to project Y, then its expected that exactly X naira - no more, no less - should be devoted to project Y, within the fiscal year, in a manner that can easily be vouched for transparency.

Its not about recklessly splashing out projects, however laudable they may be, all over the place. That seems to be the style of Enugu and Imo, as I will admit, being a frequent visitor to the place, that they do have a lot on ground. However, how transparently such monies are being deployed is another matter altogether.

You are on point, but even so, lets give to Caesar whats is due to Caesar, de Kano Man de try for dem wella
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by gsalvatore: 2:17pm On Apr 02, 2013
Hmmmm..coming from a state that sprinkles Ram(inflated prices) amongst other things to the masses/civil workers during the festive seasons.

This report can't be correct though it better be.
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by malc619(m): 2:18pm On Apr 02, 2013
emiye:

She is referring to Bayelsa state and not Kano state.

Thank you!!.... cheesy cheesy

But I'm not gonna edit my post, she deserves the salvo fired at her...

cool. cool
Re: Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline by nagoma(m): 2:20pm On Apr 02, 2013
vanstanzy: This is clearly a highly doctored report. Or is it April fool.

You are either very ignorant , a bigot or both. The kind of transparency and actual work going on in kano is much better than what is reported here. Kano is doing much better than what this report concluded.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amaechi: I Fell Out With PEJ Cos I Refused To Share Rivers Money With Her / When You Call Nigeria President Dull You Need To Check Your Brain / What The Constitution Says About Self-defence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.